BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Ijustwannateach

What I Would Tell My Administration

Agree and disagree on that one. Learning a foreign language is good because it makes you, as a teacher, realise how tough it is for the learners to remember stuff. On the other hand being fluent in the learners' language is not always a good thing IMO.

I'm totally bilingual in French now but I was crap at French at school. I only really started learning correctly when I went to the Alliance Française in Paris and sat in a class with people from about 10 other countries. The only common language was French and we had a brilliant teacher who repeated and repeated and repeated until we were ready to move on to the next stage. Must have been as boring as ###### for him but we learnt almost effortlessly and after about two months of daily lessons we could start communicating effectively. Compare that to my French teacher at school who spoke perfect English and didn't teach me a thing in 6 years.

hmmmm. reading though the thread here it seems to me that english teachers cant speak thai, now obviously being an english teacher means u have basically reached the apex of the english language.

so why cant you learn to speak thai? have all english teachers lost the ability to learn another language? are they really proper teachers?or maybe in previous times they had low end jobs with low qualifications like shelf stackers at the local mart, or low civil servant jobs like in the tax dept, i just cant understand why these supposedly highly qualified and supposedly intelligent teachers cannot learn to speak the local language.

learning thai isnt that hard :D

You're right; my job in the tax department was so low that I made it to GS-12 and made adjustments to small taxpayers such as Mobil Oil.

The ability of a native speaker of English to learn Thai is not related to their ability to teach EFL in Thailand. I nearly mastered Spanish, but its vocabulary and grammar are similar enough to English that it was far easier to learn than Thai is. Furthermore, one can live and work professionally in Thailand without being fluent in Thai.

No, I haven't lost my abilities [smyth], and I'm a proper teacher, in these circumstances here, although I'm not very highly qualified. Our viewers here can decide whether my English abilities are as good as yours are. :D:D:o

20. Do not force your foreign teachers to attend religous ceremonies on public holidays. Though many would happily oblige, others might not look too kindly on such matters. Perhaps, such events should be optional.

No, I haven't lost my abilities [smyth], and I'm a proper teacher, in these circumstances here, although I'm not very highly qualified. Our viewers here can decide whether my English abilities are as good as yours are. :D:D:o

aahhhh, but im not an english teacher :D

Not Smyth (he won't get on here), rather our old mate DD methinks! Be a good doggy please!

We're a bit off topic here.

I'd expand your point, Worms-

"If you insist on having your teachers work on the most important religious holidays of the year for them (Christmas, Rosh Hashanah, whatever) at least have the common sense to realize they will not be happy about it- especially do not expect them to lead some sort of bizarre costume pageant on the event- least of all should they be expected to dress up as Santa on a day when they are missing their own families the most. Would you be happy if you were working abroad and your school insisted you hold a big festival for the students at work on Thai New Year?"

21. Foreign teachers [especially non-TEFL subjects] are not trained in the writing of cheers, the singing of English songs, or the playing of group games on a bus trip. While it is not entirely impossible for, say, a math teacher to think of a festive game or an English song, these kinds of requests will not go down well at the last minute with no prior warning [i.e. everyone is on the bus- "Ajarn Steven will now lead us in an English song." Oh, no, he won't.

"Steven"

11.  If you keep all your windows and emergency exit doors padlocked except during drills, what will you do during a genuine emergency?  [And you haven't forgotten about fire extinguishers, hoses, and alarms, now, have you?]

What drills? You must work in a classy school. :o

16. If you don't know what your school's curriculum is, how are the foreigner teachers going to know it?

Amen.

Could we get that printed out on a billboard on Vibhavadi Rangsit? I'll foot the electric bill to keep the lights on until 10:30PM, just to make sure all the admins see it on their way out to their favorite karaoke bar.

11.  If you keep all your windows and emergency exit doors padlocked except during drills, what will you do during a genuine emergency?  [And you haven't forgotten about fire extinguishers, hoses, and alarms, now, have you?]

What drills? You must work in a classy school. :o

Well, 3 schools that I've worked here have had fire drills, but 1 of them was just a regular government Matthayom- that was more in the way of practice in the use of a fire extinguisher, though, than a drill.

"Steven"

22. If your school is on break and there are no serious duties for your farang teachers, it's a wise administrative decision to turn a blind eye to their being frequently absent. Heck, it'd be a wise administrative decision to turn a blind eye to your THAI employees being frequently absent at such times! Why the heck do you want to keep all those people sitting at those desks all day long pretending they have something to do? It's not like you're paying them that much (the Thais) and the farang will work MUCH harder for you during school weeks (and possibly re-sign contracts) if they know they have the extra vacation time.

23. As mentioned before, Thai teachers and foreign teachers are in 2 different markets. As it happens, the foreign teachers' market is a *teachers'* market (economically speaking- as opposed to an employers' market). Whether you're willing to believe it or not, there are far more schools that would like to employ a minimally experienced, reliable English teacher than there are such teachers available as employees. This means that if your school offers ONLY AVERAGE conditions to potential employees, logic dictates that you will receive LESS THAN AVERAGE acceptance of your job offers by minimally qualified candidates, as the better teachers move up the demand curve where they should be. In other words- pay peanuts, get monkeys. This effect is even more exaggerated for subject teachers or those with other specialized qualifications.

24. Corollary: Your Thai employees may have to suck up anything you dish out, but if you do not seem open to negotiation, the farang teachers will vote on your style the only way they can- with their feet. It would be better to do a little negotiation and find out what your employees want BEFORE they feel motivated to find other jobs, wouldn't it?

"Steven"

:D The Thai system does not care.. they will just get someone else.. They will make the face change.. Quality... hmm.. if they new what it was.. PLUS..the Directors.. some have a good concept of language instruction and know how to deal with western teachers...

BUT we all have had the BUTT HEAD Director... just experience.

AND yes..If you don't like LEAVE.. NO HARM NO FOUL... as the Thais Say it is up to you.. So go do... OUTTA :o DODGE FOR GOOD..

^Forgetting for a moment that you're being a troll- what good does your advice do? "If you don't like it, leave?" Be a quitter! Gosh, what good advice.

I presume you are a Thai school manager or something? [because English is certainly not your native language]. I suppose it threatens you that it's a teachers' market? Good!

"Steven"

This thread's been idle for awhile, but I came up with another one:

25. The function of teachers is to teach. They are not choirmasters, janitors, maids, errand boys, or website designers. While they may have talents in these directions which on occasion can contribute to your school's performance, you should regard their employment of these skills as gracious teamplay, not a job requirement. To that end:

a. Hire your own d*** custodians. See above point about paying for your own overhead. It doesn't work to let the bathrooms get dirtier and dirtier, and the teachers are NOT going to clean them for you.

b. If you have some office work which you think the teacher might be able to do, and you ask nicely, and the teacher doesn't have any other duties to perform, then it may OCCASIONALLY be expected that the teacher helps out. This doesn't mean you have a new English-speaking secretary/director of human resources.

c. Singalongs/choruses should only be led by those who really, really want to do so. Expecting teachers to have any musical talent and requiring them to use it on the job is very rude unless they are enthusiastic about volunteering.

"Steven"

25.  The function of teachers is to teach.  They are not choirmasters, janitors, maids...., a.  Hire your own d*** custodians.  See above point about paying for your own overhead.  It doesn't work to let the bathrooms get dirtier and dirtier, and the teachers are NOT going to clean them for you.

"Steven"

To an extent, yes. It's considered demeaning for a real Thai ajarn to clean the incredibly dustry chalk rail or the chalk erasers, or to clean that filthy refrigerator top, etc. So I give the kids and the 'housewives' time to do their job, and then I do it myself occasionally, just to prove a point. Then when a real Thai ajarn says "Oh, that's not a job for ajarns," I try to think of something clever to say. Such as 'Oh, they do it during Songkran.'

Grasshooper, when you can snatch the teaching/administrating/leading pebble from your THAI PAW AWH.. then it is time for you to leave.. UNTIL then.. PARTY ON DUDE..ROCK ON :o