BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
stevehaigh

How Dangerous Is Thailand?

There have been several stories about murders and such in Thailand recently and I just read a post on the Samui board by some guy asking if Ko Tao was safe!

So it got me thinking, what are the relative safety metrics for each country (excluding such obviously screwed up places like Iraq and Afghanistan)? I’m particularly interested in how Thailand compares to the USA. I’ll look it up on google but maybe someone has some info on this.

There have been several stories about murders and such in Thailand recently and I just read a post on the Samui board by some guy asking if Ko Tao was safe!

So it got me thinking, what are the relative safety metrics for each country (excluding such obviously screwed up places like Iraq and Afghanistan)? I’m particularly interested in how Thailand compares to the USA. I’ll look it up on google but maybe someone has some info on this.

Try walk in the dark thru black districts in USA cities (Detroit, Chicago, NYC or others (I don't know others.. hehe)). What is reletive safety metrics for each country then? Your questions depend on many things and I don't think anybody can estimate average note of that.

"Black districts"? Sheesh, I wouldn't walk through ANY district of most US cities alone at night.

Try walk in the dark thru black districts in USA cities (Detroit, Chicago, NYC or others (I don't know others.. hehe)).

These places are not covering up the fact that they are dangerous. Nor are they promoting themselves as family vacation spots.

The danger is in misleading people into thinking they are safer than they really are. TIT.

I feel safer here in BKK than I would in New York or London!

As with any metropolis caution is key!

There are two important factors when considering Safety.

Perceived Risk/Safety

and

Actual Risk/Safety

The first is to a great extent emotional and being so it more often than not overrides the facts relating to the second.

Perceptions of danger in the west are to a great extent determined by the politica/media relationship to violence. Public safety is a political issue and therefore receives a great deal of media coverage - and we all know there is no news in good news. So the media reasserts the image of a dangerous world.

Foreigners living in Thailand are not subected to this message about Thailand to anywhere near the same level. This for two reasons; Public safety/violent crime is not a political/media issue in Thailand, and what coverage it does receive goes largely un noticed foreigners who do not speak Thai. The death of a foreigner gets noticed but the obviously greater deaths among Thais go un noticed.

There is a third factor and that is to do with immigrants viewing their chosen home through rose tinted glasses, while at the same time being only too willing to view their former home as being something they escaped from.

My personal view is that violent crime alone is extremely high in Thailand, mostly Thais attacking other Thais but that a significant number of foreigners are attacked.

It would be interesting to know what the murder rate per capita is in the west compared with the murder rate per capita for westerners living in Thailand, I''d wager it is higher in Thailand but I have no figures to prove it.

Safety rates for other ways of getting yourself killed in Thailand, road accidents, fires and industrial accidents etc are appauling.

Thailand's roads alone kill in excess of 25000 people per year!

Use common sense/street smarts where ever you travel and 99.9% sure you'll be ok.

yep... but also.. it's as dangerous as you make it...!! :D

totster :o

Safety rates for other ways of getting yourself killed in Thailand, road accidents, fires and industrial accidents etc are appauling.

Ok, granted but look at the sasety records of western countries when they were developing, probably as bad if not worse.

How many bar fights do you see here, in Thai bars I have never seen any, in sukhumvit, I have seen a couple. My home town in England has quite a few bars, most of them will have at least 1 incident a night at a weekend!

Thai culture is far more respectful toward people than western culture.

How many bar fights do you see here, in Thai bars I have never seen any, in sukhumvit, I have seen a couple. My home town in England has quite a few bars, most of them will have at least 1 incident a night at a weekend!

Thai culture is far more respectful toward people than western culture.

I don't know..... fighting between Thais, especially when they've been drinking is rife...!!

The main difference between Thailand and UK for instance, is that the Thais are likely to get the knives and guns out.. :o

just for the record, i feel infinitely safer in thailand than any major city in the US. i'm acutally trying to find murder and violent crime rates for the different countries but i havn't found a good, recent source yet.

Thnaks Spee great interesting sites,Had some fun looking at them even though they are only upto year 2000,

Frightening to know over 4% of prisoners in the UK are Jamaican.

Spee.... excellent links... surprising where some countries are on the lists eh..! :o

totster

Thnaks Spee great interesting sites,Had some fun looking at them even though they are only upto year 2000,

Yeah interesting for sure ... but like I've said here before, look not only at what the statistics say, but also what they don't say.

For example, like other people have hinted at, murder rates in places like the New Orleans or Detroit inner cities are going to be significantly higher than in middle class surburbia america. The numbers are an average, with huge spikes in a few areas and huge lulls in most others.

I'm sure Thailand is no different. There are probably a huge number of places that are as safe as the day is long. Then again, going wandering in the jungle up near the golden triangle could be a one way trip. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think when violence occurs to westerners in Thailand, it seems like in many cases they put themselves into the situation rather than the situation being some random occurence.

It's like other people have said, one just has to be careful. When I used to live in some pretty rough areas in the states (e.g., one pistol hidden by the front door and another next to my pillow), my "trouble-sensing-radar" was very well tuned and on high alert most of the time. I could usually see trouble coming before it got there, and hence avoid it (whether I was sh*t-faced drunk or dead sober).

On the other hand, now that I've been in much "quieter" areas for the past several years, I find myself not turning up my "radar" when I should. This has happened to me in Thailand (and other areas as well). I sometimes have to consciously remind myself to be careful and be aware of my surroundings.

I think sometimes when people are on holiday, or inebriated, or feeling arrogant relative to the native peoples, they lose sight of these things. When this happens, wrong place, wrong time, things can obviously go bad.

I don't think it's as random as people are maybe led to believe. With that poor couple who were murdered recently, they certainly didn't deserve to die. And not to speak ill of the dead, but from the published reports, it seems like they put themselves into a bad situation that turned into a worst case scenario.

Sorry ... it's late and I'm rambling on a bit.