How Dangerous Is Thailand?

stevehaigh

• 1 month later...
But I would still like to know the figures for foreigners murdered in Thailand measured against the numbers of foreigners in Thailand.

Probably a tough one to nail down IMHO.

Could probably get reasonably close by analyzing it. First it would seem reasonable to split up the foreigners into permanent residents and tourists.

I don't know that there have been many (if any) murders involving anyone who was foreign by birth but was a permanent resident of Thailand at the time of their demise. This could be further subdivided into falangs, NE asian, SE asian, etc. Aren't these usually well publicized and traceable?

If these numbers can be obtained, along with the number of foreign permanent residents, a division could be done to compute a reasonably accurate per capita number.

With respect to the risk of getting clipped on a tourist trip, that should be pretty straightforward (at least on pure averages). The country maintains fairly accurate records of the number of tourists who visit every year (and possibly also the average length of stay). The homicides definitely make the press, so they should be countable. From there it's just basic division.

Anyone up for pairing up to do a little independent web-based thai-visa research? If so, PM me. Pick either the permanent residents or tourists to research, and I'd be willing to take the other. A bit of a morbid topic, I would agree, but still an interesting one.

Life is dangerous.

What is your solution to that?

Stay unborned or kill u-self might be a solution. But what the ######, life is mostly nice and then sometimes like shit. What can we do about it?

Nice that the statistics (mentioned on 1. page) shows that Norway wasn't even included in the top 25 murder list. I don't think we really know much about knives and weapon and stuff in this country.

Surprised to see los as no. 14. Well, myself I've been "fooling" around in Bangkok several times. Never saw an incident, neither did I look for it. Some drunk englishmen though, but if you don't mention how fast they were thrown out of the European Championship everything is ok. No, that's a joke. All the englishmen I've met i Thailand have been utterly nice - and did a lot of fun, too !

I suppose that when you're in Thailand you do like the thais, smile and try act as polite as you can (even if you're pissed).

cheers

-----------------------------

Beware of John Tinic !