Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

Samak elected PM with 310 votes

People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej was elected as the new prime minister with 310 votes.

Democrat Party leader Ahbisit Vejjajiva got 163 votes.

Nearly all present coalition MPs vote for Samak, except Samak himself and the House speaker.

Three MPs abstained and one was absent

The roll call voting was held after MPs disputed for 2 hours and 40 minutes as to whether a debate should be held before the voting.

Source: The Nation - 28 January 2008

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parliament elect Samak as new prime minister

People Power Party's leader Samak Sundaravej is elected as the 25th prime minister of Thailand on Monday.

Samak beat Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, nominated to be the candidate for the premiership by his party's former leader Banyat Bantatthan, with 310 to 163 in the voting in the Parliament.

PPP's Secretary General Surapong Suebwonglee nominated Samak as the candidate..

The result of the voting showed that three MPs abstained including Samak and Abhisit and one was absent.

The roll call voting was held after MPs disputed for 2 hours and 40 minutes as to whether each candidate for the prime minister, should be allowed to address their policies.

After this, House Speaker Yongyuth Tiyapairat will propose Samak for Royal endorsement. Samak then will form the his government.

Source: The Nation - 28 January 2008

Thai parliament elects pugnacious Samak as PM

Thailand's parliament elected pugnacious right-winger Samak Sundaravej as prime minister on Monday as the country returns to representative, civilian government after a September 2006 coup.

Former Bangkok governor Samak has vowed to make the return from exile of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra a top priority, putting his administration on a collision course with the army and royalist elite accused of masterminding the coup.

Source: Reuters - 28 January 2008

I can't imagine why the PPP-controlled Parliament would not wish to pursue these important issues.... what with their candidate having such a glorious history of displaying tremendous vision while at the same time, encapsulating the very essence of impeccably good character.

The Lower House started with a debate on whether or not the PM nominees should be allowed to show their vision about the new prime minister by making introductory speeches.

The House voted three hundred and six against the proposal. Most Members of Parliament also voted against the proposal of a debate on the characteristics of Prime Minister.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

Thailand chooses Thaksin ally to be country's next PM

Thailand's parliament on Monday chose the sharp-tongued and combative Samak Sundaravej, a close ally of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra, as the country's new prime minister.

The vote for Samak, who heads the People's Power Party, is considered a key step to restoring democracy in Thailand following the 2006 coup that ousted Thaksin. Choosing a Thaksin supporter for the post is likely to further divide a country that has struggled to regain its footing since the coup.

Samak's People's Power Party, a new group backed by Thaksin, won the largest number of seats in elections last month. The PPP heads a six-party coalition with two-thirds of the 480 seats in parliament's lower house.

Source: AP - 28 January 2008

Back to the future .... thanks to Mr. Sonthi (is he still a general ?) ...

Who said ""the people deserve their own government"" ?

Is Chiangmai still under martial law ?

I need a serious drink ... what is the next depressing news ...!

Chalerm Yubamrung as Interior Minister? :o

First things first, two other threads on the new PM:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1664079

Politicians 'took 500 million baht bribes for fire trucks deal'

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=115978

Former Bangkok Governor Sentenced To 2 Years In Prison, Samak out on bail

Now, a Chalerm thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1672911

Prospective Interior Minister Plans to Revive War on Drugs

And finish with another thread on another pending Cabinet Minister:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1778018

Prospective Environment and Natural Resources Minister previously expelled and punished

unhappy.jpg

Leader of People Power Party Samak Sundaravej sits in his parliament seat in Bangkok, Thailand. Samak Sundaravej will be entering his prime ministerial office with some heavy baggage in tow: a past as an ultra-right wing rabble rouser, a continuing corruption probe and a long-standing bent for acid-tongued confrontation.

Associated Press

Samak says no celebration over election as Thai PM

People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej was elected Monday as Thailand's new prime minister. He said he would not celebrate his victory and would continue to lead a normal life in his new office.

Samak Sundaravej, who was elected Monday as Thailand's new prime minister, said he would not celebrate his victory and would continue to lead a normal life in his new office.

"I will still go to the market to buy groceries before returning home to cook and share meals with my wife, he told reporters as voting got underway in parliament to choose the new premier.

"There will be no celebration. I will continue with my normal life."

Samak, 72, is a combative but charismatic politician who is also famous for hosting television talk shows and a cooking programme.

He told reporters he hoped to continue hosting his television show once he takes office.

"I will still keep up my cooking programme because that does not violate the constitution," he said.

Samak campaigned openly as Thaksin's proxy, and is widely expected to clear the way for Thaksin's return to Thailand.

Thaksin has been living since the coup in self-imposed exile in Britain, where he has bought the Manchester City football club.

- AFP

Back to the future .... thanks to Mr. Sonthi (is he still a general ?) ...

Indeed it's back to the future. But Sonthi retired a while ago I think.

Is Chiangmai still under martial law ?
Yes it is. The PPP has called on the military government to quickly end this, as there's no time to waste until the Samak government can get installed. Not sure if they'll actually do it.

I'm not sure I agree it's 'news'. :o Indeed it's depressing, but all of this was abundantly clear the day the TRT and it's 110 executives were banned.

Actually it could have been a lot worse, so I'm not sure I'm overly depressed. Not happy, but it COULD have been worse.

Edited by Lilawadee

A PM who keeps up his cooking show? Aren't Thais embarassed by this? If not, shouldn't they be? Also, if looks could kill, well actually, just look at his history, looks did kill. Congratulations, Thai voters!

At least Americans can breathe a sigh of relief, another leader even more embarrasing than ours, and that takes some doing.

Edited by Jingthing

A PM who keeps up his cooking show? Aren't Thais embarassed by this? If not, shouldn't they be? Also, if looks could kill, well actually, just look at his history, looks did kill. Congratulations, Thai voters!

Jingthing, no congratulations are necessary (or appropriate) because the coup and subsequent banning of TRT people did not leave them much of a choice.

Jingthing, no congratulations are necessary (or appropriate) because the coup and subsequent banning of TRT people did not leave them much of a choice.

Aren't TRT executives responsible for getting themselves banned?

You're blaming the policeman for arresting a criminal who commits a crime in front of him and blaming the judge who subsequently puts that criminal in jail. When does the criminal himself get to take a smidgen of blame for the crime he himself commits?

Anyone else feel that certain sinking feeling?

Sure. Ask the clowns in their tight uniforms...

One Coup. 15 months of "Junta"... And here is the result, serve hot on the plate.

We had Thaksin. Now we have Samak. Congratulations.

No wonder the generals are slinking away into the shadows and promising "no more coups". (Well, until next time, anyway).

All they have succeeded in doing (apart from enriching themselves) is to deprive the nation of good economic leadership and drive a wedge through the heart of the nation, dividing and polarizing the people.

All they have succeeded in doing (apart from enriching themselves) is to deprive the nation of good economic leadership and drive a wedge through the heart of the nation, dividing and polarizing the people.

Well, the coup was a total failure, that's for sure.

But it is false to say the generals caused the national division. That exited before, during, and after the coup. Is the division much worse now? I am not sure.

Let's all be realistic about this. Samak will manage, but he won't lead. The leader is in HK, and in Bangkok it is not a secret that Dr. Suraphong is more popular within the party. For everyone's sake let's hope that somehow these guys stumble through without damaging things too much.

A PM who keeps up his cooking show? Aren't Thais embarassed by this? If not, shouldn't they be?
PM will continue his own cooking programme.....wow, guess he would have more important things to do!

Old shows die hard...

Attacks on Samak leave bitter taste

Bangkok Governor Samak Sundaravej yesterday hit back at critics whose negative comments forced him to quit his pet project, a cooking show on iTV.

Samak said his critics - mostly newspaper columnists and radio commentators - unfairly tied their criticism of his performance as governor to his role as the host of Chimpai Bonpai ("Tasting and Complaining").

They suggested Samak was busy in the kitchen when he should have been governing, an allegation the governor dismissed.

Episodes were recorded on the last Saturday of each month, Samak said. Once, when floods hit the city, a radio commentator suggested that the governor was too busy cooking up a storm to actually visit flood-hit areas, Samak said.

"Every criticism seemed to be tied to my cooking show," he said. "If I hit back at them, I would be criticised for being too aggressive. In fact, I'd like to fight with these people," Samak told Nation Channel yesterday.

- The Nation / October 25, 2001

Image111222333.jpg

Image1112223334.jpg

Former Chart Thai Deputy Leader Chuwit Kamolvisit

Thailand Outlook

Chuwit Lashes out Once Again at Chart Thai Leader

In one of his most public stunts, the former Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader today lashed out against Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn Silapa-archa for being fickle about his political point of view.

Shortly after Parliament convened to elect the 25th Prime Minister of Thailand, Chuwit Kamolvisit held a press conference calling for coalition MPs to blindfold themselves when they vote to elect the new prime minister.

Chuwit claims the PM they are allegedly electing is not in Thailand. He says the person coalition MPs are actually voting for is in Hong Kong.

Former Chart Thai Party Deputy Leader Chuwit Kamolvisit is one of the most vocal politicians in Thailand. He’s recently resigned from the Chart Thai Party after a fall-out with the Party Leader.

Chuwit has been openly criticizing Banharn Silapa-archa for changing his political standpoint and Chart Thai’s initial vow not to join hands with the People Power Party.

Chuwit arrived at Parliament today before the PM vote began with a mobile van unit, equipped with a large screen projector. Showed on the projector is a VDO clip of Banharn Silapa-archa saying the Chart Thai Party will not form a coalition with the People Power Party.

Chuwit says he will drive the mobile van unit around Bangkok to allow Bangkok residents to watch the VDO clip for seven days sand seven nights starting from today.

Meanwhile the Chart Thai Party abstained from nominating its party leader Banharn as one of the prime minister candidates in the voting this morning.

At the voting this morning Banharn and his daughter MP Kanchana Silapa-archa voted for PPP leader Samak Sundaravej as the prime minister of Thailand.

- Thailand Outlook

How many days, weeks, months do you think this character will be PM?

6 months to a year?

Maybe his role is to make Thaksin look good by comparison?

LOL.. :D Yup, could be. :o

Though I think a more likely reason is to pre-empt renewed laissez majeste accusations; Samak is a staunch royalist who's been on the military's side for most of his political life. So this will take away the most potent venom in any renewed protests / slander.

BANGKOK - Thailand's parliament elected pugnacious right-winger Samak Sundaravej prime minister on Monday as the country returns to representative, civilian government after a bloodless September 2006 coup.

The 72-year-old former Bangkok governor has vowed to push for the return from exile of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Samak, who is leading a six party coalition after his People Power Party (PPP) narrowly missed an outright majority on its own, won approval from 310 of the 480 members of parliament.

He is loathed by the domestic media, although his bulbous nose is a gift to political cartoonists, who typically depict him as a foul-mouthed pig feeding at a trough.

Democracy campaigners also regard him with distrust, remembering his vitriolic radio campaign against student activists in the mid-1970s and support for a bloody crackdown in October 1976 that led to a coup.

- Reuters

He is loathed by the domestic media, although his bulbous nose is a gift to political cartoonists, who typically depict him as a foul-mouthed pig feeding at a trough.

Democracy campaigners also regard him with distrust, remembering his vitriolic radio campaign against student activists in the mid-1970s and support for a bloody crackdown in October 1976 that led to a coup.

- Reuters

Reuters doesn't mince words, do they?