Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai parliament elects pugnacious Samak as PM

He is loathed by the domestic media, although his bulbous nose is a gift to political cartoonists, who typically depict him as a foul-mouthed pig feeding at a trough.

Democracy campaigners also regard him with distrust, remembering his vitriolic radio campaign against student activists in the mid-1970s and support for a bloody crackdown in October 1976 that led to a coup.

- Reuters

Reuters doesn't mince words, do they?

More highly-complimentary and flowery prose from other international media excerpts.....

Thaksin ally choosen Thai prime minister

[photo missing]

Thailand's parliament was expected to choose a close ally of ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra as the next prime minister Monday, giving a boost to democracy but also raising the prospect of further divisions in the country. The sharp-tongued, ultra-conservative Samak, was widely expected to succeed Thaksin.

BANGKOK, Thailand—Thailand's parliament on Monday chose a combative, right-wing politician and close ally of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra as the country's new prime minister, a key step to restoring democracy following the 2006 coup.

Samak Sundaravej, 72, easily beat the Democrat party candidate Abhisit Vejjejava 310 votes to 163, but experts fear the election of a Thaksin supporter may further divide a country that has struggled to regain its footing since his ouster.

Samak, known for his hot temper and checkered past, downplayed his victory and said nothing would change in his life.

Still, Samak's inevitable victory didn't stop detractors from raising tough questions about his character. He has appealed a two-year sentence for defamation and is the subject of an ongoing corruption investigation stemming from the purchase of Austrian firetrucks and a waste management contract when he was Bangkok governor from 2001 to 2004.

He has called the press a hindrance to development and it was his vitriolic rhetoric on radio and at rallies which helped stoke anti-communist sentiment in 1976 that prompted mobs to storm a Bangkok university, killing and burning alive scores of leftist student activists.

Samak also served as the powerful interior minister in a military regime during the 1970s and then signed on as deputy prime minister with an unpopular army-backed government in 1992 and later justified its use of deadly armed force against pro-democracy demonstrators.

The installation of an elected government may bring some much-needed stability to Thailand's turbulent political scene, but the honeymoon is expected to be short-lived while Thaksin remains in the picture.

- Associated Press

A PM who keeps up his cooking show? Aren't Thais embarassed by this? If not, shouldn't they be? Also, if looks could kill, well actually, just look at his history, looks did kill. Congratulations, Thai voters!

At least Americans can breathe a sigh of relief, another leader even more embarrasing than ours, and that takes some doing.

Most Thais living in Bangkok and the south have brains, and didn't vote for these morons. The people who love Thaksin and forget everything about what Thaksin did (but remember the free hand outs) aren't smart enough to recall what the tosser Samak is- they like Samak ,Chalerm, Thaksin, Chavalit et al, because they seem to be hard noses, opinionated and give away lots of free stuff.

Same as USA New Zealand or anywhere else. Just because the majority want something, it doesn't and shouldn't mean everyone does.

I give it less than 2 years before everything falls over and Samak goes into the record books as another Banharn/Chavalit inept moron who choked on the amount he swallowed.

Although to be fair he does spout an inordinate amount of s&*t so at least something comes back out. not quite like herr Thaksin.

The coup was not any better or worse than the last 2 years of TRT, probably better. We are reaping the consequences of 6 years of economic mismanagement....right around the time since TRT came to power.

Thanks square &**(face. For screwing everyone except your supporters over.

The 72-year-old former Bangkok governor has vowed to push for the return from exile of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Errr, aren't there more pressing things to be dealt with?

:o Rampant corruption at all levels

:D Border Police kidnapping and Extortion

:D Failing economy

:D Appalling Education standards

:D Ever increasing division between rich and poor

:bah: Standards of driving

I'm too depressed to go on. I too am starting to think about another country to live in.

Samak makes no secret of his ambition to bring Thaksin home. In fact its been one of one of his main political platforms. And one could conclude it would not be bringing Thaksin home to spend time in jail. Rather it would be bringing him home to be exonerated by the courts and assume the role of chief adviser to the PPP. That in itself would be a coup of sorts for the PPP as it would surely rally a lot of voters who have drifted away from the TRT/PPP and towards the minor parties. However, such moves to bring Thaksin home and have him exonerated would almost certainly cause a rift in the coalition if it appears Samak is putting pressure on the courts to be "flexible" in their judgements.

If the coalition partners give Samak enough time to carry out his desires before they start to actually revolt and change sides, Samak will probably just call an early election as a sort of unofficial public referendum which the PPP will almost certainly win with a greatly increased margin, taking them to rule in their own right.

It is highly unlikely that the military would intervene with another coup after their disastrous attempt at perverting democracy last time.

So, its my prediction is that while there is still going to be plenty of political conflict and drama over the next couple of years, -- in two to three years time we will have a PPP majority government with Thaksin back home as a free man and although not directly involved in politics, acting openly as an adviser and strategist for PPP.

I cant see a new constitution happening before PPP has secured majority rule, but it will surely happen shortly afterwards.

Now if things do end up panning out this way, and I admit there are a lot of "ifs" in there, that is really going to trim the militaries horns. The days of a pseudo democracy held to ransom by the ever present threat of a military takeover will be all but over.

How does he wrangle out of an already-imposed conviction and 2 year prison sentence? Sure, he can postpone and delay it ad infinitum throughout his stint, but it's hanging over him every minute he's the PM.

Even Thaksin was exonerated prior to assuming PM, although that wasn't without tom foolery, but at least it was down on paper has having been cleared and he wasn't actually convicted, unlike Samak.

Edited by sriracha john

Is there anyone who likes Samak? Looks like not.

Speaks volumes about the ineptitude of the military junta and the Democrat party. If the junta had been politically effective (which no one thought they would be) or if the Democrat Party had opposed the non-democratic coup, there would be someone other than Samak in office today. This is not a victory for Samak; it is a tremendous and well-deserved loss for those who backed the junta and for the misnamed Democrat party.

The millions of Thais that voted for his party and the current 44% of Thais like him... plus 1 lonely guy in Hong Kong...

Analysts say that in important ways Samak will remain beholden to Thaksin, whose political clout and pocketbook remain a powerful influence.

"On day to day matters, Samak will have some autonomy, based on his experience, his own stature. But on the overall direction, obviously Thaksin will be the determinant of the major direction of a Samak-led government," said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political analyst at Chulalongkorn University.

Samak also remains under investigation for corruption over the purchase of fire trucks while he was Bangkok governor, a post equivalent to mayor.

Although he is known for fiery outbursts during press conferences, he also hosts television talk shows and a cooking programme that draws viewers with a folksy style.

However many voters, especially in Bangkok, are turned off by his abrasive demeanour -- a survey released Monday found only 44 percent of Thais support Samak as prime minister.

- AFP

Personally I think there is a very simple solution to Thailand’s political and economic problems that everyone seems to be overlooking: Isaan should become an independent state headed up by a coalition between Samak and Thaksin. Then the rest of Thailand apply to join the European Union (well Turkey and Morocco almost got in so I am sure TH are in with a chance).

Jeez I'd better some smileys in here in case I get arrested :D:o:D

Interesting times ahead, can't wait to read the headlines on Samak's tirades to foreign convoys.

Amusement guaranteed! And as for Thailand and the Thai people ................. they voted for this man!

Says it all, not?

How does he wrangle out of an already-imposed conviction and 2 year prison sentence? Sure, he can postpone and delay it ad infinitum throughout his stint, but it's hanging over him every minute he's the PM.

Even Thaksin was exonerated prior to assuming PM, although that wasn't without tom foolery, but at least it was down on paper has having been cleared and he wasn't actually convicted, unlike Samak.

When you have a political system where thugs with guns can "legally' take over control of government at any time, you have a pretty weird set up.

The Thai court system is not much better than the Thai political system.

People who rely on the Thai legal system as the ultimate, unbiased adjudicator dealing out blind justice, are in my opinion, delusional.

Is there anyone who likes Samak? Looks like not.

Speaks volumes about the ineptitude of the military junta and the Democrat party. If the junta had been politically effective (which no one thought they would be) or if the Democrat Party had opposed the non-democratic coup, there would be someone other than Samak in office today. This is not a victory for Samak; it is a tremendous and well-deserved loss for those who backed the junta and for the misnamed Democrat party.

I think you said it more correctly when you wrote in another thread: "... most Thais do not want Samak; they've trusted him (a frightening thought) that he will allow Thaksin and ex-TRT to guide the country as they were doing before the coup".

You seem to miss the fact that the Democrats picked up millions more in votes from parts of the country other than the northeast and actually gained in popularity. I think the PPP victory related more to exactly what you said. The people of the northeast didn't care at all what any other party had to offer, they were more interested in simply returning life to what it was prior to the coup. Also, the money given out to ensure their loyalty at voting time didn't hurt either.

When you have a political system where thugs with guns can "legally' take over control of government at any time, you have a pretty weird set up.

People who rely on the Thai legal system as the ultimate, unbiased adjudicator dealing out blind justice, are in my opinion, delusional.

What else is there?

So, its my prediction is that while there is still going to be plenty of political conflict and drama over the next couple of years, -- in two to three years time we will have a PPP majority government with Thaksin back home as a free man and although not directly involved in politics, acting openly as an adviser and strategist for PPP.

I cant see a new constitution happening before PPP has secured majority rule, but it will surely happen shortly afterwards.

Now if things do end up panning out this way, and I admit there are a lot of "ifs" in there, that is really going to trim the militaries horns. The days of a pseudo democracy held to ransom by the ever present threat of a military takeover will be all but over.

It all depends how fast PPP can shut down all independent review of what they are doing; had the truth been known about TRT's lack of skills, they would not have been nearly as popular; instead there was virtually no checks and balances for corruption, the media and regulation.

Far from being a democracy, the latter years of TRT were more like a dictatorship than the last year has been. If you recall, almost every branch of govt and the civil service were being stacked with Shinwatra supporters or direct family; every aspect of govt business went to TRT supporters and there was almost complete control of the media excluding Matichon/Nation. The Senate, supposedly neutral was TRT, the civil service was rewarded or punished based on political allegiance and thus all the illegal stuff - the airport, the 30b healthscam and so on - all could go on unnoticed.

My biggest concern is not the threat of an anti military takeover, it is the threat of a pro PPP military takeover once he stacks all the armed forces with his cronies AGAIN.

I bet you PPP supporters cannot wait until Newin gets back into politics; we really have been missing out without politicians of his calibre 55555555555555555

Personally I think there is a very simple solution to Thailand’s political and economic problems that everyone seems to be overlooking: Isaan should become an independent state headed up by a coalition between Samak and Thaksin. Then the rest of Thailand apply to join the European Union (well Turkey and Morocco almost got in so I am sure TH are in with a chance).

Jeez I'd better some smileys in here in case I get arrested :D:o:D

Hey, the peasant class up in the North East have already been isolated over the decades by the central government in Bangkok.

Thwe majority live in poverty, even by Thai standards. But they do provide a stream of cheap labour for the factories and brothels run by the elite class down in Bangkok.

Thaksin was the first politician to offer hope to the Northern peasants of integrating into the development of greater Thai society and gaining a fair share in the countries wealth. And since the peasants of the North East represent about half the countries voters, Thaksin of course was seen as their saviour.

Whatever the debates about vote buying and lack of education among the poor in the North East, any country which fails to develop half their human resources through education and other infrastructure is destined to markedly slow their own economic progress. While it certainly benefits the educated ruling class elite to have a very large pool of poor uneducated cheap labour, it is certainly not in the countries overall interests long term.

What else is there?

VERY good question there.

My post was meant to rebut the inference of some here that the courts are above reproach, when in fact they are just as crooked as the politicians, the police, and the military in Thailand. Perhaps a little less crocked in terms of direct financial return for decisions, but certainly corrupt in respect to bringing down decisions that would gain them favour with the political power brokers of the day as well as other major power brokers outside the political system.

What hope does Thailand have when the whole system is corrupt from top to bottom?

Just about every prominent politician has at least one charge of corruption hanging over their heads. No one could say ALL these charges are groundless, even if the courts don't find a conviction. And anyone who has any clue about Thailand would know that there are probably tens of thousands of potential corruption charges against prominent public figures that will never come before the courts.

The whole countries system of government is a big mess. The only hope for them to drag themselves out of this corrupt mess is though the development of the democratic process. Hope is certainly not going to come through military intervention intended to extend the old corrupt system. Its going to take a while I know, but I do have hopes that through the evolutionary process of democracy, Thailand will eventually crawl out of this distorted corrupt system.

The PPP won an election with the odds stacked against , the vote the Democrats won would have been much less if the election had

less tampering by the Non elected government , Samak being the leader of the PPP has every right to being Prime Minister , he never hid the fact of who he was a Nominee for ,so in turn has the mandate of the people, and the only legitmate right to govern Thailand

My post was meant to rebut the inference of some here that the courts are above reproach, when in fact they are just as crooked as the politicians, the police, and the military in Thailand.

Where's this fact coming from?

Surely courts, especially lower ones, are not free from intereference, but Samak is going with his appeal to the Supreme Court. Any recent cases where Supreme Court demostrated its corrupt nature.

>>>

I wouldn't worry about people who rely on courts, I worry about people who DEFY the courts instead.

I just heard on CNN that Taksin will return in May this year to face all charges and to clear his name. He think that he feels that its is right to do this now that Samak has been elected and is keeping the chair warm for him. The return also co incides with the 90 day deferred trial of his wife. Maybe she is testing the water for him.

Cheers Rick

The country might be falling apart, but my God, where's my boiled egg????

Meet the "gourmet premier" on the air

BANGKOK - Thailand's newly-elected Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej, a self-acclaimed gourmet of Thai cuisine, is keen on hosting a one-hour radio programme "Samak-Styled Talk Show" on Sundays to "talk just about anything especially food."

The 72-year-old premier who repeatedly said he has been cooking since childhood has hosted cooking programmes on television and has written articles about his adventures and feelings about food in the last several years. His latest cooking programme was aired on TITV and was among the programming suspended when the station closed.

"The Constitution doesn't restrict a prime minister from talking about food. I think I'll have a one-hour programme on Sundays," said Samak.

"Even the prime minister of New Zealand can be a tour guide to promote the country's tourism. I may host a similar tourism programme in the future."

During the parliamentary debate on Monday morning, the food-obsessed premier briefly left the session and headed for the Parliament cafeteria where he ordered a dish of rice with curry and stir-fried asparagus.

Swarmed by a huge throng of photographers and reporters while having his lunch, Samak complained, "If I have to encounter this everytime I have my meal, it will be an unhappy life for me. See there's no boiled egg, no omelette and the curry is not hot. How will you feel if you are in this situation while having your meal?"

Asked if he would dine at the canteen when he works at Government House, Samak said he had already been doing that when he was a deputy prime minister.

"Regularly having your meal at your customary shop is not unconstitutional or against parliamentary regulations," quipped the new premier.

- MCOT

^ Oh no he doesn't, you appear to know very little of the history of this individual during the past 30 years.

I know of no one, who would describe him as avuncular.

Regards

Totally agree! Samak is Taksin's pet and Taksin is back! This person, the Pig Man, have done many many "THINGS" in the past that make me want to vomit :o .

Golf

^ Oh no he doesn't, you appear to know very little of the history of this individual during the past 30 years.

Oh don't get me wrong, I do know about those things. I just felt like airing some positive and optimistic sentiment for a change. :o

Anyway, he's serving a transitional role anyway at the moment. Nobody thinks he's going to become a successful PM for the long haul.

Regards

Totally agree! Samak is Taksin's pet and Taksin is back! This person, the Pig Man, have done many many "THINGS" in the past that make me want to vomit :D .

Golf

GOLF!!!!! :D

You're back! Long time, no see..... It's great to see have you returned to Thaivisa.

:o:D :D

*For Mods...

I notice his status is "validating".... as he's over 4 years in membership here, can someone "validate" this valuable member, please?*

Edited by sriracha john

I can't imagine why the PPP-controlled Parliament would not wish to pursue these important issues.... what with their candidate having such a glorious history of displaying tremendous vision while at the same time, encapsulating the very essence of impeccably good character.
The Lower House started with a debate on whether or not the PM nominees should be allowed to show their vision about the new prime minister by making introductory speeches.

The House voted three hundred and six against the proposal. Most Members of Parliament also voted against the proposal of a debate on the characteristics of Prime Minister.

- Thailand Outlook

:o:D

Oh don't get me wrong, I do know about those things. I just felt like airing some positive and optimistic sentiment for a change. :o

Anyway, he's serving a transitional role anyway at the moment. Nobody thinks he's going to become a successful PM for the long haul.

Samak said on Saturday he hoped the coalition would stick together for the entire four years.

- Reuters

Regards

Totally agree! Samak is Taksin's pet and Taksin is back! This person, the Pig Man, have done many many "THINGS" in the past that make me want to vomit :o .

Golf

Hey, Welcome back Golf!!! Really glad to see a post from you and hope you'll contribute regularly again, after the hiatus. Always good to see a Thai who's prepared to call a spade a spade, or in this case, a porcine fellow......... My wife has always called him "Ai Dang Moo" as well. :D

Been getting a degree or something? :D