Samak Sundaravej was elected

Jai Dee

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

I have been away from Thaivisa for a longgggggggg time, but I am back, baby! Got cought up with family and works, but I always keep my eyes on what's going on in Thailand.

To sum up what I feel about Thailand and Thai people, I think this country is out of luck. If this kind of scums can get elected with the help of money, I can be a PM too. I think Thai people, not to offend anyone here, think that money is EVERYTHING. They don't see the danger. They don't see the long-term effect. All they see is money.

Again, thanks for a worm welcome! Will post more of my thoughts from now on. Hopefully I will not get banned!

Golf

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

I have been away from Thaivisa for a longgggggggg time, but I am back, baby! Got cought up with family and works, but I always keep my eyes on what's going on in Thailand.

To sum up what I feel about Thailand and Thai people, I think this country is out of luck. If this kind of scums can get elected with the help of money, I can be a PM too. I think Thai people, not to offend anyone here, think that money is EVERYTHING. They don't see the danger. They don't see the long-term effect. All they see is money.

Again, thanks for a worm welcome! Will post more of my thoughts from now on. Hopefully I will not get banned!

Golf

Very warm welcome. Glad you are back! Please stay around.

New PM says Cabinet 80 percent complete

After attaining the position of Prime Minister from an open parliament vote, People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej traveled to Farmers Market in the Chatuchak area. The newly appointed premiere engaged in jovial banter with members of the press who had accompanied him to the market as well as cheerfully greeting market vendors. Mr. Samak treated attending members of the press to sugar cane juice from one of his favored vendors.

Mr. Samak commented that he decided to travel to the market after attending Parliament to prepare for celebrations at his home. While at the market, the Prime Minister purchased upwards of 3000 baht worth of food and various items for his planned dinner.

Mr. Samak also revealed that the parliament has assembled up to 80 percent of the Cabinet from its members. The Parliament expects to be able to submit the list of Cabinet members for royal approval by February 5th.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 January 2008

A PM who keeps up his cooking show? Aren't Thais embarassed by this? If not, shouldn't they be? Also, if looks could kill, well actually, just look at his history, looks did kill. Congratulations, Thai voters!

At least Americans can breathe a sigh of relief, another leader even more embarrasing than ours, and that takes some doing.

Why should they be embarissed? "If not, shouldn't they be?" and what, your American? I think your 8 years of shame will come to an end soon, I don't think Samak is anywhere capable of the idioticracy Bush brought to your White House or the world for that matter! Samak keeping up his cooking show is brilliant, at least he will keep connection with your average Thai instead of the elite attitude of most members of Parliment etc. I don't think Samak is the perfect choice, but then again the coup de tat was the wrong choice for Thai people, it did not give the people a chance to remove Thaksin themselves, that would have put that era to end for good. Instead we have the old guard back, and as the peoples choice by majority, so you can only complain that you disagree with the majority, not democracy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parliament Chairman reveals Mr. Samak's name has been submitted for approval by HM the King

Chairman of the House of Representatives Yongyuth Thiyaphairat stated that he has submitted the name of Parliament elected Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej to His Majesty the King for his royal validation. The House of Representatives must await the review and approval of His Majesty the King before officially recognizing Mr. Samak as the Prime Minister.

Mr. Yongyuth expressed his opinion that the Parliament deliberation and voting for Mr. Samak went well with both the government and opposition parties cooperating. Mr. Yongyuth himself tried to refrain from using too many regulations.

The parliament chairman assured that he will not interfere in the selection of various commissioners within the House of Representatives and allow government and opposition party MPs to agree on the appointments amongst themselves. Mr. Yongyuth will focus his attention on the locating of a new site to construct a planned parliament building.

AEC President says he is concerned over new PM

President of the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) Nam Yimyaem (นาม ยิ้มแย้ม) assured that People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej’s instating as Prime Minister will not affect his committee’s work. He especially referred to an ongoing case against Mr. Samak by the AEC.

Mr. Nam declared that as the matter is being processed by the AEC and the Court it will not be affected by Mr. Samak’s position as the administrative branch of government and the judicial are independent of one another. He also affirmed that Mr. Samak’s case, which involves irregularities in the purchase of Bangkok fire trucks, will be resolved before the AEC finishes its term.

The AEC President admitted there may be conflicts when having to work against the administrative branch but he believed that as the government is a democrat body it will work justly and inline with ethical conduct.

My post was meant to rebut the inference of some here that the courts are above reproach, when in fact they are just as crooked as the politicians, the police, and the military in Thailand.

Where's this fact coming from?

Surely courts, especially lower ones, are not free from intereference, but Samak is going with his appeal to the Supreme Court. Any recent cases where Supreme Court demostrated its corrupt nature.

>>>

I wouldn't worry about people who rely on courts, I worry about people who DEFY the courts instead.

Oh yea, all the other courts are corrupt, or at least vulnerable to flexibility in their judgement ;-) , but not the supreme court.

There are hardly any high profile politicians in Thailand that don't have some kind of corruption allegation hovering above them. And if the truth be known probably most of them are true. The courts are caught up in this political war and have the decision making directly linked to politics dumped in their laps. If they go in too hard on the defendants it would end up with the country in a state of anarchy, as well as stepping on the toes of a lot of influential people. If they go too soft they get accused of negligence and corruption. Powerful figures have the financial resources to tie the courts up for years. They can put compelling cases, even in the face of apparently overwhelming evidence. So what are the courts to do with these types of cases where they are caught between a rock and a hard place? Well, they dismiss the case for lack of sufficient evidence to convict. Everyone is happy, --- the defendant gets off, but his accusers get to say he wasn't actually found innocent of the charges. Only the most obsessive opponents are disappointed. But after a few years in the courts the issue loses its public momentum and nobody really cares anymore. As its all yesterdays news anyway.

Lets see what the courts decide about Samaks appeal. Shall we?

^ Oh no he doesn't, you appear to know very little of the history of this individual during the past 30 years.

I know of no one, who would describe him as avuncular.

Regards

Totally agree! Samak is Taksin's pet and Taksin is back! This person, the Pig Man, have done many many "THINGS" in the past that make me want to vomit :D .

Golf

GOLF!!!!! :D

You're back! Long time, no see..... It's great to see have you returned to Thaivisa.

:o:D :D

*For Mods...

I notice his status is "validating".... as he's over 4 years in membership here, can someone "validate" this valuable member, please?*

THANK YOU ALL!!!!

Golf

On top of everything, you're now "valid", Golf..... :bah:

*Thanks to the responsible mod/admin for this action.*

Superlatively sugary adjectives for the new PM from the international media continue....

Acerbic, right-wing political old-timer named prime minister of Thailand

BANGKOK, Thailand - A combative veteran politician representing ex-leader Thaksin Shinawatra's interests was chosen as prime minister Monday, a move that could put him on a collision course with the military that ousted Thaksin in a 2006 coup.

Samak Sundaravej easily beat the Democrat party candidate 310-163, taking a key step toward restoring democracy, but experts fear the election of a Thaksin supporter may further divide Thailand.

Samak, 72, has made no secret that he is Thaksin's proxy, saying in an interview: "I have to bring (Thaksin) back to the limelight. We will use the same policies."

"It is likely to be a turbulent premiership ahead," said Panithan Wattanayagorn, a political scientist at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

Analysts say Samak's political fortunes will wax or wane in line with those of Thaksin, who has vowed to return from exile in May to face a slew of corruption charges.

Samak has indicated a willingness to try to undo post-coup sanctions imposed on the former leader and his political machine.

He takes office with a past as an ultra-right wing rabble-rouser, a continuing corruption probe, and a long-standing bent for acid-tongued confrontation.

But he's also a wily survivor of four decades in the turbulent Thai political arena and remains popular with lower middle-class voters.

Many Samak supporters would be hard pressed to describe his policies, but fondly remember him for his TV cooking show called "Tasting and Complaining," a mix of traditional Thai cooking and rants on Samak's pet subjects.

"I don't like Samak. He is rude, he fights with everyone and doesn't have respect for anyone, said taxi driver Ekawat Santirat. "But I know Thaksin wants him as prime minister. And I love Thaksin. He was good to us and he did nothing wrong. Samak can bring him home."

Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was dissolved after his 2006 ouster but former members formed the People's Power Party, which named Samak as its leader last August.

But he will have to keep his planned coalition in line, while tangling with an array of opponents - the opposition Democrat party, a powerful military and pro-democracy activists who led the mass street protests which led to Thaksin's downfall.

Judicial bodies, a partly-appointed non-partisan Senate and independent watchdogs, newly empowered after Thaksin's crash, will be watching him closely.

Samak has said that if he became prime minister he might try to dissolve a committee set up by coup leaders to investigate corruption charges against Thaksin, and possibly declare an amnesty for Thaksin and 110 of his allies who have been barred from politics for five years.

Samak himself is under a legal shadow, accused of malfeasance for signing two questionable contracts while serving as mayor of Bangkok. Both deals - a garbage contract in 2003 and the purchase of fire trucks in 2004 - allegedly were marred by bidding irregularities. The case remains under investigation.

Potentially more damaging is a two-year jail sentence for defaming a former deputy mayor of Bangkok, a case now under appeal. Thailand's constitution says people sentenced to prison terms cannot hold cabinet positions.

Samak has held eight cabinet posts and served more than 20 years as a member of parliament since entering politics in 1968.

"He has waited three decades, trying to become prime minister but never came close," said Thitinan Pongsidhirak, another Chulalongkorn University political scientist. "Now, it's handed to him in a platter."

- Associated Press

=======================================================

How long before the coalition parties 5 pre-conditions to joining the coalition are blowing in the wind? Sounds like Samak is already planning to renege on them.

Hey, the peasant class up in the North East have already been isolated over the decades by the central government in Bangkok.

Thwe majority live in poverty, even by Thai standards. But they do provide a stream of cheap labour for the factories and brothels run by the elite class down in Bangkok.

Thaksin was the first politician to offer hope to the Northern peasants of integrating into the development of greater Thai society and gaining a fair share in the countries wealth. And since the peasants of the North East represent about half the countries voters, Thaksin of course was seen as their saviour.

And TRT did exactly what to ease poverty in the NE? Free handouts (non sustainable), 30b healthcare (non sustainable), marketing of OTOP (no positive result unless you think 6% growth YoY is good), fixed bottom prices for crops (complete corruption).

Debt forgiveness, a poor person healthcare scheme and OTOP were all already in existance. The crop fixed price scheme was pure corruption and bouyed by increases in some crops (nothing to do with TRT).

People in Isaan are too dense to know what they are voting for, they get told that TRT did all this stuff for them (great marketing, that's for sure) and they believe it. They have the memories of an ant.

I've seen no reduction in brothels, far from it TRT supporters have bought a fair few!

Kukrit Pramote and that generation did far more genuine benefit to the poor that the war on dark influences etc ever did.

but of course, you are quite right, it is all about giving hope, and it worries me that at least in the area my family are from, that villagers will now openly say they would prefer Thaksin to run things than ANYONE else and that he is the MOST IMPORTANT person to them (more important than he who shall not be named). This worries the f&*k out of me, given that unlike most here, I actually have seen some of the inner workings of TRT as a former employee of a TRT family.

Kat

As for Newin, I am referring to Newin Chidchob, the pitbull that alledgedly does Thaksin's dirty work; this is the guy that alledgedly was in the process of arranging the riot that would have occurred the day after the coup (the day of terror that the coup prevented which everyone conveniently forgets as it never happened) when the TRT supporters would meet the anti TRT forces, there would be a riot and martial law would be declared with Thaksin assuming head of state. Newin is very rich now, because he 'koht gin' as minster of agriculture coops, in return for his services in organising execution and terror etc, he also is the prime beneficiary (alledgedly) of the gauranteed crop prices for fruit, rice, etc - he sets it, skims, sells some himself and keeps the difference, then replaces the store of crops with rotten stuff that is worthless. Great guy that bloke. He is also the one that was lying about how he was so mistreated - up in Buriram they love this guy in the villages, and anyone in the city or with a semblance of education hates his guts.

I am actually pleased it is a PPP govt, because the economy is going to stay in the toilet, and people may see that this f&*ker with the square head is a lying sack of s^&t. All going well Samak will be even worse than Chavalit and will be forced out earlier rather than later. The dems have only themselves to blame, same as in USA - Kerry/Abhisit and the platform they stood for....totally inept politicians.

Anyway, the international media are a bunch of suck ups, so I doubt we'll see any objective reporting on anything in Thailand for a few years yet. We certainly didnt' during the TRT era, Economist etc were too busy kissing butt.

Kat

As for Newin, I am referring to Newin Chidchob, the pitbull that alledgedly does Thaksin's dirty work; this is the guy that alledgedly was in the process of arranging the riot that would have occurred the day after the coup (the day of terror that the coup prevented which everyone conveniently forgets as it never happened)

Ah, yes, I remember who he is now. It's been a while for me. Hey - I agree with you 100% - you must have gotten wiser since I left :o (just kidding, just kidding; those kiwis that I told you about are slamming, are they not? )

Army Commander brushes off commenting on new PM

Army Commander-in-Chief General Anupong Paojinda denied commenting on speculations that newly appointed Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej may also take the position of Minister of Defense. General Anupong stated that he is not in a position to comment on the new prime minister.

When asked about General Sonthi Boonyaratglin’s plans to return to Thailand the Army Chief said that he has yet received any information on General Sonthi’s return.

General Anupong’s sentiments were shared by Supreme Army Commander and Council for National Security member General Boonsarng Niampradit (บุญสร้าง เนียมประดิษฐ์) who stated that no matter who was the minister of defense, he would still work to his utmost.

Kat

As for Newin, I am referring to Newin Chidchob, the pitbull that alledgedly does Thaksin's dirty work; this is the guy that alledgedly was in the process of arranging the riot that would have occurred the day after the coup (the day of terror that the coup prevented which everyone conveniently forgets as it never happened)

Ah, yes, I remember who he is now. It's been a while for me. Hey - I agree with you 100% - you must have gotten wiser since I left :o (just kidding, just kidding; those kiwis that I told you about are slamming, are they not? )

Only a half-hour-old post on Newin's latest unravelings in another thread:

The Assets Examination Committee (AEC) yesterday appointed an investigative committee to probe 53 people, including Newin Chidchob, for alleged corruption in a project to control the quality of food exports

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1788947

From TV cook to prime minister - Thailand's Samak

Thai celebrity chef Samak Sundaravej is not going to let a little thing like being prime minister interfere with his true passion - cooking.

Moments after being voted in yesterday, the combative right-wing politician vowed to revive his weekly cooking show "Tasting, Grumbling", which went off the air this month after the outgoing army-appointed government took over its host station.

"We still have three months of our new cooking show on tape. The constitution does not prohibit a prime minister from doing TV shows," Samak told reporters at his favorite open-air food market in Bangkok.

Over the last seven years, "Tasting, Grumbling" has become a staple for lovers of Thailand's spicy food, even though its host is not to everyone's taste.

Facts on Samak:

Born in Bangkok on June 13, 1935 into an aristocratic family, Samak earned a law degree from Bangkok's prestigious Thammasat University and worked in various jobs as a clerk, tour guide and journalist.

Samak ran a radio campaign against pro-democracy student activists in the mid-1970s and supported a bloody crackdown on them in October 1976 which led to a coup. He served briefly as interior minister in the military-appointed government.

He was elected Bangkok governor in a landslide in 2000 but left office four years later with low approval ratings. He still faces graft probes into projects started while he was in office.

Samak was elected to the Senate in 2006, but lost his job after the Sept 19 coup abolished the constitution. He stayed in the public eye as host of a television cooking show.

The political knife fighter was elected PPP leader in August last year and vowed to fight "military dictatorship".

Source: China Daily/Agencies - 29 January 2008

People who rely on the Thai legal system as the ultimate, unbiased adjudicator dealing out blind justice, are in my opinion, delusional.

relying on the flawed justice system sure beats the alternative of being shot dead in false encounters..... :o

Gen.Anupong confident new PM will not tip his finger into military affair

Army Chief Gen.Anupong Paochinda (อนุพงษ์ เผ่าจินดา) says he believes that if Mr Samak Sundaravej is appointed as defence minister, he will not use his political power to interfere with the military’s affairs.

Gen.Anupong affirms the army will abide by the government’s policies no matter who the new prime minister is. As for the meeting between the army’s high-ranking officers this morning, he says it has no special agenda.

However, the army chief declines to comment on issues concerning the new defence minister.

We're starting to get a few repeats, so for posters and journalists alike, the following terms have already been utilized for the new Prime Minister...

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

We're starting to get a few repeats, so for posters and journalists alike, the following terms have already been utilized for the new Prime Minister...

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

must object on the grounds that "foul-mouthed pig" is a slur against pigs - what have you got against pigs ? You forgot also - Bent, Out-on-Bail and non-photogenic :o

Are you aware that you are talking about Thailands new PM ?!?!

:o

we have to get used to it.

Maybe some of you is brave enough to present him this list - lets see what he likes most, or at least how he reacts.

maxi

Edited by Maxi101

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

There are presumably very few members who admire the PM, given his past record, although the fair minded among us are probably willing to give him a chance.Sometimes quite unpromising people do grow into a job with great responsibilities.Anyway my main point is that the insulting list above is really quite inappropriate on the day the PM has returned from the palace with royal endorsement.The problem of course is that otherwise reasonable people have become so paranoid about Thaksin that they lose touch with good manners and what is appropriate.

I have no problem with Samak being teased mercilessly but for heavens sake let's give the guy a break on his first few days!

Edited by younghusband

One very important quality is missing from this list - incompetent.

He won't "grow into job", he's forgotten what work is, he hasn't done any for many many years.

His record as Bangkok governor was appaling. He came with the most votes ever, 1.2 million, and all people remember is his cooking show and how annoyed he was when the public wanted some action over flooding problems.

Thailand has turned Prime Minister's office into an inactive post for grumpy retirees.

Anyway, let him get on with it, at least he provides good enterntainment.

pugnacious

right-winger

monkey boy

sharp-tongued

combative

ultra-right wing

rabble-rouser

combative

proxy

pugnacious

loathed

bulbous nose

foul-mouthed pig

vitriolic

sharp-tongued

ultra-conservative

hot tempered

checkered past

fiery

abrasive

food-obsessed

Pig Man

porcine

Ai Dang Moo

scum

Acerbic

rude

turbulent

acid-tongued

This has to be the low water mark post of the year :o Like or dislike Thailands government as much as you want, but remember that you are a guest in this country! What about if someone posted pictures of you on a forum with a list of insults like this one!