Resort In Issan

ozzy111

My wife has recently purchased 40 Rai in Khao yai (Pak Chong) with the view to eventually bulid a Bungolw type resort. I have had many years of experance in this industry so managing it wound'nt be a problem, but i'm not sure if it would be a viable business in this area.

My wife seems to think that this area is rapidly growing and that the Khao Yai national park is a major tourist destination. I've been there many times now and it is a stunning location and i can see some potental, but is Issan a real option.

Any advice from people running a business in issan would be particularly helpful.

it depends where it is located "near Pak Chong"

how far from the highway, is it near or next the lake/ dam ?

how big a resort do you plan ? for a few bungalows you need only 2-3 Rai

people will be there and tourists will come, however more Thai than Farang and more weekenders (Bangkok) than throughout the week

Seppl :o

The land is located about 20km from highway 2 its's closer to the enterance of the Khao Yai national park then Pak Chong. The resort assuming we go ahead will be around 20 bungalows with a restaurant, pool etc. I agree with you though more thai than farang which makes me second guess the resorts viability.

it depends where it is located "near Pak Chong"

how far from the highway, is it near or next the lake/ dam ?

how big a resort do you plan ? for a few bungalows you need only 2-3 Rai

people will be there and tourists will come, however more Thai than Farang and more weekenders (Bangkok) than throughout the week

Seppl :o

I'm not running a business in Issan, but love areas with unspoilt natural beauty. In the past I liked Koh Chang, but now feel it has been spoilt. I've only been to Phuket once and didn't like it.

However I've come to believe I am in the minority. Most ppl I talk to have little interest in sitting by a river eating or having a drink. I'm amazed that so many couples and families enjoy Pattaya.

We've been away to Muak Lek and Nakon Nayok many times. There's lots of bungalows there. On the weekends they are packed, but deserted thru the week. Farang generally don't go there.

You may also consider posting in the travel forum to gauge the level of interest.

I feel the same as you pattaya is definitely not my favorite place i prefer quiter locations. Ive been to Muak Lek a few times it's a great spot for a swim and what have you. I guess thats why we are considering the resort in Khao Yai.

I'm not running a business in Issan, but love areas with unspoilt natural beauty. In the past I liked Koh Chang, but now feel it has been spoilt. I've only been to Phuket once and didn't like it.

However I've come to believe I am in the minority. Most ppl I talk to have little interest in sitting by a river eating or having a drink. I'm amazed that so many couples and families enjoy Pattaya.

We've been away to Muak Lek and Nakon Nayok many times. There's lots of bungalows there. On the weekends they are packed, but deserted thru the week. Farang generally don't go there.

You may also consider posting in the travel forum to gauge the level of interest.

There's only one up-market hotel in Khao Yai with lot's of cheaper options - Maybe you could tap into that market. It's true, there's not a lot of nightlife (that I saw anyway)... maybe a nightly bonfire... marshmellow's going around... a local band kind of gig would draw in families, both Thai and farang. Just got to look at people's needs that are not currently being offered.

I wouldn't say it can't be a success, BUT, consider the cost. With that kind of money you can live very comfortably and have no responsibility and no headaches. If you have been in Thailand for a while, you already know it is NOT a level playing field.

I've just come back from a bungalow style resort in Issan (Selynton Dam, near Chong mek) was there from Saturday through to Wednesday and for the most part it was dead. Beautiful countryside, nice restaraunt etc. The majority of the people there seemed to be schools on some sort of summer camp and thai companies doing team building courses or the like. There are alot of Bungalows there but the majority seemed to have fallen into a state of disrepair although they seem to survive.

Think carefully before shelling out too much in Issan unless there something really special near by.

I wouldn't say it can't be a success, BUT, consider the cost. With that kind of money you can live very comfortably and have no responsibility and no headaches. If you have been in Thailand for a while, you already know it is NOT a level playing field.

It's true we could have comfortable lifestyle but I like to be working and keeping busy. I agree with you it's a tough business enviroment and at times very frustrating, but on the other hand after all the hard work is done it is extremely rewarding I enjoy the challange. :o

There's only one up-market hotel in Khao Yai with lot's of cheaper options - Maybe you could tap into that market. It's true, there's not a lot of nightlife (that I saw anyway)... maybe a nightly bonfire... marshmellow's going around... a local band kind of gig would draw in families, both Thai and farang. Just got to look at people's needs that are not currently being offered.

I like your idea about having bands etc I will defintely look into that.

We bought some land nearby too. We don't plan to do anything for the time being because we're not leaving there but I believe there is definitively some potential for business. For the time being I see mostly Thai tourists, not much foreigners but the area is developping very fast. And just as an investment it's a very good operation, we can now sell the land more than 4 times the price we bought it 3 years ago.