Found A Nice Plot Of Land Close To Chiang Mai

chanchao

Excuse me while I think out loud:

I'm currently in the market for a piece of land close-ish to the city but far enough out to have some peace and quiet, nice scenery and a lower price per rai. Say about half an hour drive into town, but in a nice rural area.

I've found something but "nice" is actually an understatement: if you'd take a picture of it you could put it in a frame and label it "Thailand" and hang it in a prominent place on your wall. It's stunning.

A problem is that this (and many plots of land that I find) is just too big; I'm basically just looking to build a nice house with enough space around; this is the trouble with all the housing compounds, they seem to try to build houses on top of each other or at the very least have the roofs of adjacent houses virtually touching each other! For me I want something of a view and some space around. Say about 1-3 rai or so depending on how far it is out of town and how it's situated; like if it borders a stream or a mountain on one side then maybe closer to 1 rai is enough as it would look spacious anyway. A lot of the land I'm finding however is a lot more than that, this plot that I'm looking at now is awesome but it's like 6 rai.. And I'm not rich. And the owner is not interested in dividing it up, which I find is mostly the case.

So, one option would be to get the whole area, cut it in half (or more) and share the cost. Sorting out the legal and administration bit is important of course, a requirement for me is that all the land papers are in order and the land is easily transferable. My wife's family has bought and sold land before, they're doing the negotiations. (They're from Chiang Mai and have run farms in the area so they're kind of perfect to talk to local Chiang Mai folks wanting to sell land; the assumption is that they're going to be doing some kind farming on it, which is better than some Mrs. Farang or even a Bangkok or local businessman wanting to buy the land.

So: Is anyone here in the market for some land and what are your requirements for it? I don't want to get too far ahead of myself (or let this idea degenerate into commercial spam) but a long term lease construction would be possible too I suppose, then you'd personally have control rather than having it in a Thai wife/partner's name.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Excuse me while I think out loud:

I'm currently in the market for a piece of land close-ish to the city but far enough out to have some peace and quiet, nice scenery and a lower price per rai. Say about half an hour drive into town, but in a nice rural area.

I've found something but "nice" is actually an understatement: if you'd take a picture of it you could put it in a frame and label it "Thailand" and hang it in a prominent place on your wall. It's stunning.

A problem is that this (and many plots of land that I find) is just too big; I'm basically just looking to build a nice house with enough space around; this is the trouble with all the housing compounds, they seem to try to build houses on top of each other or at the very least have the roofs of adjacent houses virtually touching each other! For me I want something of a view and some space around. Say about 1-3 rai or so depending on how far it is out of town and how it's situated; like if it borders a stream or a mountain on one side then maybe closer to 1 rai is enough as it would look spacious anyway. A lot of the land I'm finding however is a lot more than that, this plot that I'm looking at now is awesome but it's like 6 rai.. And I'm not rich. And the owner is not interested in dividing it up, which I find is mostly the case.

So, one option would be to get the whole area, cut it in half (or more) and share the cost. Sorting out the legal and administration bit is important of course, a requirement for me is that all the land papers are in order and the land is easily transferable. My wife's family has bought and sold land before, they're doing the negotiations. (They're from Chiang Mai and have run farms in the area so they're kind of perfect to talk to local Chiang Mai folks wanting to sell land; the assumption is that they're going to be doing some kind farming on it, which is better than some Mrs. Farang or even a Bangkok or local businessman wanting to buy the land.

So: Is anyone here in the market for some land and what are your requirements for it? I don't want to get too far ahead of myself (or let this idea degenerate into commercial spam) but a long term lease construction would be possible too I suppose, then you'd personally have control rather than having it in a Thai wife/partner's name.

Cheers,

Chanchao

I may have some interest but like you I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, For me much depends on my work schedule in the near future. Which direction from Chiang Mai is this land located? Any idea/guess what the price/Rai might be?

Well, we're still negotiating but it'd be around 850,000 baht per rai. Not cheap, but note that this is not 'middle of nowhere farmland', it's a rather attractive area, in a village South of town, about 5kms from the Canal Road. Should be possible to make it into town within half an hour, especially as a big part of the Canal Road is now a nice separate-lane highway. :o

Also, please (anyone) give me your thoughts on the general price level. I know I've seen land for sale lots cheaper. (Heck, my in-laws have actually sold land for much cheaper) but often it was either further out, didn't have full papers and/or was just not situated as nicely, and/or was dozens of rais and/or didn't have electricity/phone, and/or wasn't on a good road, etc. Regardless my wife still thinks it's expensive, but like I said, we're negotiating.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao,

Very good and I too think the price is too high but more times than not one gets what one pays for. I think this is worth some study and I would like to look at the land my next trip up, only problem is that I am not sure when I will be free to visit. We have spent countless hours driving around in the Chainag Mai area looking for land to buy or a house to rent and this is boring as ###### to me. My time is usually tight and I get irritated easily so anytime I see where someone such as yourself has located some land and have done some evaluation I get interested. Patience is not my long suit.

Hi Chanchao,

it isn't cheap, but well worth it if it's a lovely as you've described.....& the main thing is you like it.

Agree 100% developments are just too claustrophobic.

Great idea to look into a joint purchase,keep costs down.

I'd be interested if it was North of town, as I have approx. 5 rai I bought 18months ago & am building a small resort/ guesthouse up there. & will want to live near (but not too near to it).

I paid........wait for it........650,000bt the lot.

OK no electric, phone, water etc but at that price don't expect it.

Oh & it did have all the paperwork.

It's going to get more & more difficult getting a nice bit of land, at that right price.

Keep us posted buddy, I'm not back out to Chiang mai til Dec 29, so will be looking at different houses/ land etc then.

Good luck.