What Toys Do Young Isaan Kids Go For?

rockyysdt

Hi BM's

I'll be visiting my girlfriends family in Isaan later this year.

She has two young children, a daughter two, and a four year old son.

I thought it would be nice to offer them gifts when I visit.

What do thai kids this age go for?

I hope this isn't a stupid question. I'm out of touch when it comes to toddlers and young kids, and I'm also not familiar with life in this part of the world.

I thought perhaps a cuddly teddy bear for the girl and some kind of ball game for the boy.

Can anyone help me?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

cheers

Danny

:o

Hi Dan

If your not too sure what to buy, why not have an outing to Big C (plus KFC) and let them all choose for you. My 'crowd' used to love a visit out like this, when I was a part-time resident and the kids like running round a big store causing havok!

This way all the family is involved and thats what Thai's like

Have a good trip

Dave

I agree with 'no batteries'.

It will only last the time of the original batteries and then it will either be a burden (money to buy new ones) or it will be left in a corner.

Balls are good for boys as it will allow them to play with the other kids.

If you go more expensive a bicycle would be both useful and fun

After a few years of bringing small gifts to the village I have found for young girls and boys the winner is stationary, colouring books, coloured pencils, crayons etc. Anything mobile is short lived.

For adults a handfull of $2.00 reading glasses, warm flannel shirts, cheap polo shirts and a bag of $2.00 shop lipsticks and cosmetics has been snapped up quickly.

Those cheap material shoulder bags are also very well recieved.

Another hit with the older folk are small hand held torches, as long as they have easy switches for arthritic hands.

Push on/off has been a favourite.

Warm blankets have always been appreciated by any generation.

Believe it or not that ointment for sore , cracked heels is also very well recieved.

Farming stock is my Thai family :o

Andy

I remember a post a year or two ago, I think it might have been by IjustWannaTeach, but I might be wrong. Anyway, a teacher asked several different classes what their favourite hobbies were. 1st place was sleeping, 2nd place was "going to BigC".

On that basis, a pillow and some coins for the rides at BigC would seem appropriate. But I jest. Little kids all seem to like colouring books and pencils, and dolls (action man type for the boys). Not expensive ones, because they won't be looked after and will be broken or lost in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Mike

For a first time visit keep it simple. Also there is no need to buy expensive gifts in this situation. There are many 10 Baht and 20 Baht shops in Thailand that can provide interesting gifts for kids of all ages. The comment about shared toys is particuly valid up country. Marbles can be bought locally rather than brought over in luggage. Kite flying is a national sport, can be bought at the road side or bought over. Hard boiled sugar sweets rather than chocolate. Frisbees but it's use might need to be taught. Interesting T shirts with pictures from your country do well, bring a selection of sizes as they will fit relations.

Coloring books etc buy in Thailand, crayons pencils etc are cheap. Tennis racquets, tug of war rope, small football, those small balls made from thin bamboo sticks is a very popular game in Issan.

I recently did a birthday bash for a few older children, pizza as food and gifts of clothing (for school!) were seen as totally wonderful. I was also mugged for a few hundred Baht school lunch money which i was happy to give, they are nice kids.

Other things that have value in the village, dog flea powder and shampoo. Some basic first aid kit, headache tablets, antibiotics (although they will probably be misused).

A trip to Big C is about 3,000 Baht - washing powders, soaps, cooking oils, noodles, stuff for babies, fizzy drinks, dried squid, crisps, some new DVD movies, large boxes of biscuits.

Big ticket items, (maybe not for kids) TV, washing machine, fans, DVD-VCD player, mobile phone. Talking of which a few 50 Baht phone cards are well received.

If the village is some distance from the city/Big C bring back a KFC or pizza (seafood) will be seen as a big treat.

Have fun.

You have to be a bit more specific about the receipiants of your gifts .

Working with kindergarten aged kids -1-5 years I have found that lego blocks (bring the big ones ,not the tiny little ones ) are always the runner . You can buy them in the complex in Udon ,but they are outrageously expensive there . Go to some garage sales or church rummage sales at your home town and get a big garbage bag full for 50 cent -they do not have to match much .

Crayons ,colorbooks etc are heavy in your bag and easily available locally.

If you really want to hit it big ,have some of your friends at home help you to amass a bunch of those small cosmetic samples they give away for free in the stores . More often than not ,they even come in little bags with assorted items . There is not a female in Issan starting at the age of 10 till 100 that will not love you to death for something like that.

lots of small stuff cause it gets spread around. nothing u will buy for two kids will stay with those two kids; better to bring a bunch of 'dollar' store stuff that can be given away...

i send 'care packages' every few months with various things that we've collected around the house; stationery that was given as birthday presents here but the girls will never use (email generation here); puzzles (too old for them here) ; perfumes (bought some but allergic/too sweet so the thai love them , including the men who seem to like the sweet women's perfumes better); throw blankets for babies (the 'fleece' micro fiber kind); tonka trucks and stuff; old fashion childrens' games like pick up sticks and crazy eight cards ; small pencil bags (the kind u use in school for scissors and things); for small babies, 'universities' that are set up on the floor; sticker sets (the kind kids collect and put in books, a waste of time and money but they all like them, like stars and smiley stickers); washable tattoes; soccer balls, socks for children (fancy for girls, foot ball types for boys) ; hair thingies for girls; jacks (the old fashioned game was a big hit); as was 'five stones, and israeli version of the same game) ; sports shorts for boys (as sets fo shirt and shorts) ; stuffed animals; small backpack school bag type things; cheap watches and clocks (the wind up kind are good); think of trinkets and baubles that are luxeries for them (assuming they arent well to do issaan folk, if they are, then u have to up the antee a bit)and easy to carry. frisbees were fun; fishing gear.

i noticed that a thai in law coming back to visit from france (farang husband) brought one suitcase similar to mine: lots of same stuff: lot of button shirts in various colours (size diddnt seem to matter to most of the guys including my husband that got one as long as it was from out of the country); lots of school type stuff, toys etc. nothing too fancy or complicated or expensive. w/i a few days most of the stuff was spread out among various houses.

for the girlfriend, something big and showy and also for her parents or money or equal in money (gold as all have said)...

remember, u arent bringing stuff only for two children; u are bringing for a large extended by blood/or bond family...

i was horrified at first when the specific gifts i had specifically chosen and brought for in law's kids were traded and swapped to all and sundry. but every body was happy so what do i care. now, i just send as i mentioned above, general stuff and let the elders decide and divide.

bina

israel

I wouldn't worry much about it. Thai kids are the same as any kids. They like the same junk as any other kids like. Plastic cars, trucks, tractors, airplanes and toy soldiers are all liked and played with.