Ubon Ratchathani

jastheace

i am aware of a bar called 'the wrong way cafe'

but are there any others in this town,that would be suitable for the likes of farang,

food not important,just cold beer and other company that speaks english !!!

but are there any others in this town,that would be suitable for the likes of farang,

Try N-Joy, that is nice and more home deco than WW, it's bit off from the town but close by ver reasonable rated accomodation cross the street (Ubon Jail) :o

N-Joy Bar & Restaurant in 300/1 Phalochai rd., run By EEt & Loui (Aussie) Phalochai rd. is west of Chayangkun rd., pass Tohsang hotel, Ubon prison, its 200 meters after the big rooster on the opposit side

and close by Nevada hotel there is lot of joints where you can speak Eng, but not so much farangs there.

Also Swing party house in Chayakoon road opposite of Kasikorn Bank.

Try N-Joy, that is nice and more home deco than WW, it's bit off from the town but close by ver reasonable rated accomodation cross the street (Ubon Jail) :o

N-Joy Bar & Restaurant in 300/1 Phalochai rd., run By EEt & Loui (Aussie) Phalochai rd. is west of Chayangkun rd., pass Tohsang hotel, Ubon prison, its 200 meters after the big rooster on the opposit side

and close by Nevada hotel there is lot of joints where you can speak Eng, but not so much farangs there.

thanks marco h,

was beginning to worry there'd be nowhere else to go,the owner of the ww said there was no-where else !!!

am moving to warin next month to be nearer my son,just need the odd evening out now and then,but didn't want karaoke being the only other option.i know about the ones near the nevada,the one nearest the grand i watch the footie in when i'm up that way.

thanks for the directions as well !!

thanks marco h,

was beginning to worry there'd be nowhere else to go,the owner of the ww said there was no-where else !!!am moving to warin next month to be nearer my son,just need the odd evening out now and then,but didn't want karaoke being the only other option.i know about the ones near the nevada,the one nearest the grand i watch the footie in when i'm up that way.

Many other places to go, not to worry on that.

That comment is one way to get customers, but one's in the town you will find even some thai plases very suitable and fun, i know that the guys going to Swing party house time to time.

Hi all,

I'm intend coming to Ubon for a few days holiday.

Looking for a decent clean room approx 600 baht per night which close to the night spots by walking distance ( at least for some of them...)

Any recommendation ?

thanks marco h,

was beginning to worry there'd be nowhere else to go,the owner of the ww said there was no-where else !!!am moving to warin next month to be nearer my son,just need the odd evening out now and then,but didn't want karaoke being the only other option.i know about the ones near the nevada,the one nearest the grand i watch the footie in when i'm up that way.

Many other places to go, not to worry on that.

That comment is one way to get customers, but one's in the town you will find even some thai plases very suitable and fun, i know that the guys going to Swing party house time to time.

Hello Jasthease and Marco,

No, it is not a good way to get customers, as is obvious from this thread. It is very rare that I would make such a comment. In fact, it could be said that I provide too much information most of the time. When asked for alternatives to us I’ve always recommended the Cozy, especially to Scandinavians, but now closed, Tony’s Bakery, and of course I always mention the great guy, Loui, at N-Joy, even if our wives have their irreconcilable differences. Now, if by “owner” you mean my wife, then she might very well have said we are the only Farang bar, but that’s a matter of definition. N-Joy has a “home décor” because it is basically at a home, serving what I hear is very good Thai food, and playing Karaoke. It caters mostly to Thais, but there are a number of Farang who frequent it to enjoy Loui’s company, or who simply prefer it, and some go to both our places. While I understand that our style (or lack of) is not everyone’s cup of tea – we play Western music, serve Western food, have a proper pool table, and sort of cute staff – we are really the only place at the moment like it in Ubon. On a good night like Friday or Saturday we’ll have 30 to 50 people in, mostly Farang, so I suggest coming and asking one of them about other places to go because you will get a less biased answer, but it is unlikely that we would withhold information on purpose. But hey, anyone can just be in a rotten mood some days. And Marco, for someone who continues to lament the so-called fact that Farang in Ubon don’t get together, should be striking up spontaneous conversations at Lotus Tesco, I don’t recall you ever mingling with the great group of people who frequent our pub. I don’t mind if you dislike us, for whatever reason, but please don’t suggest that we go out of our way to “misinform” our customers.

By the way, Jasthease, a lot of us go to Zodiac at the Nevada Hotel later in the evening, around 11 p.m. or so, but the music starts at about 9 p.m. The band is great (they were at Swing before) and if you sit at the counter you can actually have a conversation as the music isn’t atrociously loud. On a Friday or Saturday night there may be as many as 15 or more Farang there. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Hi jastheace,

I can re-enforce what has been said here. Wrong Way is the main farang pub-style place for beer, pool and chit-chat, run by Ting with Richard usually around. N-Joy is also a very friendly pub-like place, run by It with Louis usually around - I think it would be true to say it mostly caters to Thais, but there is a good crowd of farang at the weekend at least - I haven't been mid week. All four owners are great people. Richard and Louis are on the customer-side of the bar in their respective haunts.

The farang crowd these days don't go to Swing so much, more to Zodiac, as has been said - but this usually later, and with the excellent live music chit-chat is not so easy. The band moved and the farang crowd followed. Swing is still a nice place to go, perhaps busier than before, and a very friendly Thai crowd in there.

There are a number of other bars which have plenty to offer, but which probably don't fit your description of a farang hangout, but which farang do frequent.

Kojak99, there are rooms behind the WW for 350 a night, clean, hot water, aircon, but basic. Sri Isaan hotel is about 650 I seem to remember, quite pleasant rooms, light and airy, but a tuk-tuk ride from the bars. There are a number of other modest hotels, e.g. Tokyo, etc.

Cheers,

Mike

Richard

What is more misleading that comment that your place is only one in town????

no one has said that your place is where the most of farang goes but for sure not the only one..big difference.

Your place, i don’t dislike,,, i don't go out in town to any where, i listen and make notes, also some how you forgetting that i have been your place 1's or twice for coffee,, but of course, it wont make too much profit for you and you ploce is closed when im in town and when your place is close for morning coffee, one goes somewhere else.

And im sure you about your comments about me to be lament comes deep from your heart as you might remember that I and Good Gary(who past away) organized the BIGGERST Ubon farang gathering 24th Feb. 2006 where you and your family also participated.

After that thing's start to roll in good way towards to you and many other's who open they restaurant\cafe\bar after that.

Also i have tried to get people up and doing something ELSE than Drinking, as drinking is not a HOBBY in my dictionary and i have working life as well.

Ubon is full of life and activities but not so many pleases still farang friendly (for night life).

Jealousy seem s to be key factor here as well,, guys who are having they bar's very rarely talking to each other,,,but of course every one need's to make living.

Richard

What is more misleading that comment that your place is only one in town????

no one has said that your place is where the most of farang goes but for sure not the only one..big difference.

Your place, i don’t dislike,,, i don't go out in town to any where, i listen and make notes, also some how you forgetting that i have been your place 1's or twice for coffee,, but of course, it wont make too much profit for you and you ploce is closed when im in town and when your place is close for morning coffee, one goes somewhere else.

And im sure you about your comments about me to be lament comes deep from your heart as you might remember that I and Good Gary(who past away) organized the BIGGERST Ubon farang gathering 24th Feb. 2006 where you and your family also participated.

After that thing's start to roll in good way towards to you and many other's who open they restaurant\cafe\bar after that.

Also i have tried to get people up and doing something ELSE than Drinking, as drinking is not a HOBBY in my dictionary and i have working life as well.

Ubon is full of life and activities but not so many pleases still farang friendly (for night life).

Jealousy seem s to be key factor here as well,, guys who are having they bar's very rarely talking to each other,,,but of course every one need's to make living.

Hello Marco,

Do you play golf? A group of us have been playing most weekdays from about 8:45 a.m. in Warin, or 9:45 at Surinthorn Dam. Once a month I'd like to organize a sort of golf competition where we could all meet at Surinthorn Dam on a Sunday, play golf, have a BBQ or something, and stay the night at the nice bungalows they have there. Of course, those who just want to play golf could choose to do so. This has nothing to do with Wrongway, just an opportunity (excuse) for some of the guys from further out, perhaps even from Sisaket, Mukdahan, etc., to bring their families out with them for a bit of a change. Anyway, you mentioned OTHER activities.

Drinking is not obligatory. A number of guys don't. Some like to play pool, some like to meet new people or people passing through, some just like to chat. And sorry for not being open in the mornings. Our girls have shifts that are slightly staggered in order to facilitate our 2:00 p.m. to midnight opening hours, but Ting really needs to be there and a 14 or 16 hour day would be too much of a strain. Unfortunately, we don't live at Wrongway. As for jealousy, at least from our perspective, you are wrong. N-Joy has morphed into a complementary kind of place (meaning a pleasant alternative quite unlike us), although when she opened it it was as close to a copy of our place as possible, it seemed. Could it be that the gentleman who originated this post asked me, or my wife, the question before N-Joy opened? Anyway, Loui and I have no problems with each other, he is just trying to avoid disturbing his wife, which always makes good sense. It's all quite silly, really. And we do all appreciate your organizing the farang get-together. If anything, it proved that people would appreciate the existence of farang-oriented pubs to get together in. No hard feelings, OK?

just returned yesterday from Ubon and having spent plenty of time looking around the city can say that my wife and I enjoyed WW very much. many evenings we sat and chatted with Richard but my wife more so with Ting who is a great host to all the customers both Thai and Western. I'm surprised at such a growing ex-pat crowd now in Ubon and the atmosphere and food were both great at WW. I ate steaks and signature burgers most the time which are truly western with onion gravy and REAL home made chips/fries and malt vinegar. My wife loved the Thai food and prices are not at all expensive so thumbs up all round to Richard and Ting for running the place so well and looking after the custom that they have worked hard to enjoy. I visited N-Joy a few times and Loius was very friendly to chat with but the place seemed to have very few people there on a night time or at least in the week days. Loui's wife was sitting with her friend and made little attempt really to make us feel wanted so we briefly stayed and after one drink left. Some places feel they have a "God given" right to your custom. Others feel they should earn it... say no more. Case and point we visited Tony's bakery for a meal one evening and the Thai lady owner acknowledged myself buy failed to Wais my wife or talk to her so the attitude was wrong right from the word go as she was full of herself and cold to customers. The food was rubbish at Tony's and a steak at 1,100 baht was not going to be ordered my myself so we chose Thai food which was undercooked even for my wife and tasteless. However, they do great cakes if they can survive on that business alone.

Ubon restaurant/bar owners still have to remember to be warm with people visiting and so far as farang hang outs go I've only felt that at WW and now I'm somewhat biased. If you want to enjoy your evenings with a lively atmosphere then I'd recommend WW when in ubon town. Located well also and easy to find.....

• 2 months later...

hello richard,i thought this topic was dead,hence no further input after the reply from marcoh,with details and directions.only after another one of your customers mentioned a ho-haa on the thai visa website involving you business and n-joy,i felt i had to check the archive on this subject to see if it was anything to do with my original post,and,it turns out it has.

just to put you in the picture,it was on a visit to ubon in early december 2007,there were no other customers in,so i asked yr wife if there were any other places farang hang out,to which her reply was,no-this is the only place, i was surprised,so repeated the question adding 'near the river' and'up the big road'.again answer was 'no,this is the only place in ubon for farang'.i didn't believe that could be the case,hence the original thread.

didn't mean it to start an argument.

you were in japan i think at the time.

anyway,enjoying yrplace as well as loiu's

just wanted to put you in the pic

cheers

jason

I heard news today that WW was broken into recently. Hope that all is well for Richard and Ting and not too distressful for them and hope not too much stolen.

just the big screen t v,and float money.buggers probably caused more damge through the actual entry and additional stress to r+t.happens everywhere,i know,just not pleasant when yrself or friends are the victims.

Hi all,

Looking for a decent clean room approx 600 baht per night which close to the night spots by walking distance ( at least for some of them...)

Any recommendation ?

There is a newly build mansion in the street next to tesco lotus,I had a look at the room and they are nice,they charge 400 bath per day the name is Panjan place. :o

Hi all,

Any recommendation ?

There is a newly build mansion in the street next to tesco lotus,I had a look at the room and they are nice,they charge 400 bath per day the name is Panjan place. :o

I always stay at the Tokyo hotel - pretty central, clean 350bht a night, free wifi,cable TV, chirpy staff - breakfast of toast and coffee for 20bht - perfect

• 2 months later...
Kojaks original post requesting information on hotels was from 5th March '08. Assuming he is still looking for a hotel after all this time then the following link has a list of hotels as follows:

http://www.weloveubon.com/ubon-accomodations.html

Just back from my Ubon trip ( a bit late than I planed.... ), the Wrong Way rooms were fully booked so found the Phadaeng Mansion - a brand new hotel opposite the worng way cafe ( a bit down on the soi ), just opened 2 weeks ago.

Great room for 500 baht - space room with big bed, new furnitures, a/c, tv ( only thai channels ), wide bathroom with hot water + blacony .

They still got a bit construction work on the site, so got a bit noise time to time but guess gonna be finished in a few days.

They were also installing wifi while I been there.

Very friendly stuff, got songtiew lines which stoping in front of the place.

Have checked as well the following hotels :

Nevada Inn ( on the compound of the Nevada hotel that now be named Ubon International hotel ) - 540 baht for single room but pretty crap.... small and smelly... the only good point is the location if u r for the night life spots... got a disco, pubs and lots of girls around....

Regent hotel - 700 baht, great location near Robinson but rooms loook a bit worn...

Pathumrat Hotel - 1200 baht, great rooms, great location also between Robinson and the Nevada.

But the Phadaeng mansion wins in all aspects ( IMHO ).

Haven't check the wrong way rooms - heard from other farang that they are good as well - worth to give it a try too.

Edited by kojack99

Kojaks original post requesting information on hotels was from 5th March '08. Assuming he is still looking for a hotel after all this time then the following link has a list of hotels as follows:

Just back from my Ubon trip ( a bit late than I planed.... ), the Wrong Way rooms were fully booked so found the Phadaeng Mansion - a brand new hotel opposite the worng way cafe ( a bit down on the soi ), just opened 2 weeks ago.

Great room for 500 baht - space room with big bed, new furnitures, a/c, tv ( only thai channels ), wide bathroom with hot water + blacony .

They still got a bit construction work on the site, so got a bit noise time to time but guess gonna be finished in a few days.

Nevada Inn ( on the compound of the Nevada hotel that now be named Ubon International hotel ) - 540 baht for single room but pretty crap.... small and smelly... the only good point is the location if u r for the night life spots... got a disco, pubs and lots of girls around....

Regent hotel - 700 baht, great location near Robinson but rooms loook a bit worn...

Pathumrat Hotel - 1200 baht, great rooms, great location also between Robinson and the Nevada.

Haven't check the wrong way rooms - heard from other farang that they are good as well - worth to give it a try too.

Just some additional info:

Nevada Hotel I shall not comment as it has it's own topic above, but I have stayed behind WrongWay more times than I remember, and I find it's good money for value. (Phadaeng Mansion sounds good also)

Another hotel not mentioned before is the Ratchathani, south west corner of the city park and fairly opposite the TAT office. The hotel is partly renovated and in this section the prices are 600/800/1200.

N'joy bar is now managed by Lance (England) who has opened up the bar more and put in a pool table. The bar is more crowded than earlier, and both Thai and some western food are available :o

Edited by bergen

Nevada Hotel I shall not comment as it has it's own topic above, but I have stayed behind WrongWay more times than I remember, and I find it's good money for value. (Phadaeng Mansion sounds good also)

Another hotel not mentioned before is the Ratchathani, south west corner of the city park and fairly opposite the TAT office. The hotel is partly renovated and in this section the prices are 600/800/1200.

N'joy bar is now managed by Lance (England) who has opened up the bar more and put in a pool table. The bar is more crowded than earlier, and both Thai and some western food are available :o

Hey Trond,

Is Louie still involved with Njoy bar and if so, send him my regards

Carl

Hey Trond,

Carl

Hi Carl

Loui and Eet still owns N'joy as it's a part of their house property, so they're around most days, while Lance rents and runs it.

I'll say hello to Loui when next time in Ubon -

Btw - when will you be back in Los? - long time since we had a few cold ones together :D

Hey Trond,

Carl

Hi Carl

Loui and Eet still owns N'joy as it's a part of their house property, so they're around most days, while Lance rents and runs it.

I'll say hello to Loui when next time in Ubon -

Btw - when will you be back in Los? - long time since we had a few cold ones together :D

Trond,

I was back there in May for about 6 days just to pick up the wife and kids and bring them back to Oz. The past couple of trips have been just to organise visas etc. We intend to come back for a decent holiday towards the end of next year. If it was my decision I would be back there now but got to look after the kids education for a few years yet.

All the best and say gday to everyone.

Carl

• 3 months later...

During the last two days I have been to both the WW and N Joy for food, company and a cold beer.

Whilst I didn't not like N joy I doubt I will be going back.

The WW is in a much better location, has western food and colder beer! It has more customers, the pool table is free (20 baht a game at n joy), there is a plethora of accommodation close by. Ting is very good with the customers and the place is quite large if a little sterile.

The accommodation out he back is 350 baht a night. Sorry for the poor quality of the pic but I only had my phone with me.

Image058.jpg

If you want some cheaper try this:

Aree mansion. Walk out of the wrong, cross the road and walk to your left for 50 metres.

Ph 045 265518-21

250 baht for a fan

300 for air con

2500 per month for fan

3500 per month for air con.

Small, hard beds (double), hot water, small TV with sat tv (so they say) and a small bar fridge.

If you want something nicer book into the:

Phadaeng mansion.

www.phadaengmansion.com (dosn't seem to work)

phadaengmansion[at]hotmail.com

Ph: 045254600

Brand new, around 500 baht a night, comfy beds, good size tv with sat, fride, balcony. Walk out of the wrong way, ross the street and turn right walk for about 75 m.

I am currently at the Montana paying 400 baht which is better value then the Tokyo.

During the last two days I have been to both the WW and N Joy for food, company and a cold beer.

The WW is in a much better location, has western food and colder beer! It has more customers, the pool table is free (20 baht a game at n joy), there is a plethora of accommodation close by. Ting is very good with the customers and the place is quite large if a little sterile.

The accommodation out he back is 350 baht a night. Sorry for the poor quality of the pic but I only had my phone with me.

Image058.jpg

Aree mansion. Walk out of the wrong, cross the road and walk to your left for 50 metres.

Ph 045 265518-21

250 baht for a fan

300 for air con

2500 per month for fan

Small, hard beds (double), hot water, small TV with sat tv (so they say) and a small bar fridge.

Phadaeng mansion.

Brand new, around 500 baht a night, comfy beds, good size tv with sat, fride, balcony. Walk out of the wrong way, ross the street and turn right walk for about 75 m.

I am currently at the Montana paying 400 baht which is better value then the Tokyo.

Hello MeMock,

Not a big issue, but pool is not free at Wrong Way Cafe. Well, unless you win, which despite your back problems, you probably did. Loser pays 20 baht. Apparently, there was a gentleman (?) in last night who thought that we pay him 20 baht when he wins, which is ludicrous no matter how much one drinks. He accused Ting of "cheating" over and over again, and was banned. On an earlier day, he actually paid his bill once, then tried to pay it again, just to see if we would charge him again. He thanked us for our honesty and admitted that he knew he'd paid already. Ting is cracking down on silly people, so, silly people beware the wrath of Ting. Doesn't anybody out there want to mention that we are having a Christmas Eve. . . oops!

Image058.jpg

Ph 045 265518-21

250 baht for a fan

300 for air con

2500 per month for fan

Phadaeng mansion.

Hello MeMock,

Not a big issue, but pool is not free at Wrong Way Cafe. Well, unless you win, which despite your back problems, you probably did. Loser pays 20 baht. Apparently, there was a gentleman (?) in last night who thought that we pay him 20 baht when he wins, which is ludicrous no matter how much one drinks. He accused Ting of "cheating" over and over again, and was banned. On an earlier day, he actually paid his bill once, then tried to pay it again, just to see if we would charge him again. He thanked us for our honesty and admitted that he knew he'd paid already. Ting is cracking down on silly people, so, silly people beware the wrath of Ting. Doesn't anybody out there want to mention that we are having a Christmas Eve. . . oops!

Richard,

Everytime I read something about the Wrongway I always start getting homesick for Ubon. Hopefully we will be there for a longer holiday toward sep next year so will definately get time to drop in for a beer and a yarn.

All the best for the festive season and good luck for the future.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...
Hello MeMock,

Hey mate,

Thanks for setting me straight on that one. I hope you added the 20 baht to my bill otherwise I am sorry bit I don't think I paid for my 'table time' as I a sure I lost a few games!

I remember that bloke arguing the point, interesting is all I can say!

• 5 months later...

I heard on the grapevine that this Thursday at the wrong way there is a bit of a party going on. Tings birthday, a belated one for Richard and to celebrate 3 years of the WW being open.

Free food from around 7.

I will be dropping by to say hello.

Image058.jpg

Ph 045 265518-21

250 baht for a fan

300 for air con

2500 per month for fan

Phadaeng mansion.

Hello MeMock,

Richard,

Everytime I read something about the Wrongway I always start getting homesick for Ubon. Hopefully we will be there for a longer holiday toward sep next year so will definately get time to drop in for a beer and a yarn.

All the best for the festive season and good luck for the future.

Carl

Decent looking room :)

i see tony's bakery mentioned,was there the other day the name has been changed to peppers bakery,seemed to be a few westerners there,they have western food and serve beer but seems more of a cafe than bar.

The owner, who lived in the countryside, only recently moved to Ubon to buy, renovate and open Peppers. He also writes a very nice blog called Thai Village Life. He describes in detail the foods at his new establishment and has posted many pictures. I'll warn you you'd better not be hungry when you cast your eyes over the bake goods. :)

Note: I'm a regular reader of his blog but otherwise do not know the man or his family at all.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp