Strange Thai Superstitions

bsided69

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai superstition or ghost stories are nothing compare to where I was born in the Caribean, I have heard it all and then some. When my wife tell me these things I smile but I understand, compare to us they are light weight when it come to superstition.

I have friends who have been here in the US for more that 20 years and they still believe there are people who can take a special shower and become bullet proof or if you put a grain of salt on the tip of your finger and point at a rainbow it would be cut in half by the rainbow

When we saw an owl perched on a telephone cable my ex g/f rushed over to shoo it away as she believes that if an owl visits 3 times someone close will die very soon.

The owl came back 3 nights but no one died yet she is still adamant about her superstition.

Thai.

Beds can not be placed such that you awake facing the rising sun.

Baby heads should be covered when outside during a full moon.

Whistling and ghosts (forget the details).

Also saying the word ghost at night is a problem in our house too.

Stall holders rubbing the money taken from the first sale of the day on other goods for sale.

Other.

The cracked tea cup issue I believe has a basis in food hygiene (difficult to clean - easy to cut a lip).

Putting chop sticks vertically in a rice bowl (Japanese) - looks like burning incense at a funeral.

Giving a clock in China is a measure of your remaining life span. (Do not give such gifts.)

The haircut thing is dependant on the horoscope/monk advice too. My husband will only cut hair, nails on a wednesday or Sunday. I have been informed that the recent run of bad luck/annoying things that have happened to me are a result of me not following this process too.

really?

In my house we don't cut nails on a Sunday evening(Scottish superstition) or Wednesday(Thai).

I always get my hair cut on a Wednesday as the barber is always empty and I get more time.

He was given his specific days from his local monk in alignment with his birth day, date & time but his mum & family follow a slightly different vein of buddhism so a lot of their beleifs go another way to most thais. Also his mum & older rellies are old style country so a lot of natural, what I would class wiccan & animism beleifs plus a bit of voodoo intertwine, tbh I think it's all crud so just nod & say ok dear I'll cut my hair on wednesdays.

Thai.

Giving a clock in China is a measure of your remaining life span. (Do not give such gifts.)

Does this superstition apply to watches also, or is it just for clocks?

Interesting really that there seems to be a large number of Thais that still believe in this types of superstitions since most of them are based upon animism which supposedly isn't practised in Thailand.

Here in Laos however it still is and about 40% are purely animism but it goes hand in hand with the buddhism also . . . but to be honest some of the stuff listed here have taken the basic beliefs but stretched them to the extreme (or fit there purpose)! The one about leaving the house when they've had a baby is unreal! Here when they have the baby they will wear a blessed necklace (string with fold pieces of foil on it) to protected the mother and baby from demons.

I read numerous thread on here about things done in Thailand and I was though well I guess it's going be even more extreme here - but it's been total the opposite!

The haircut thing still stands I get told what is a good day to have a haircut - Friday is the norm.

The not cleaning at night thing is based upon spirits are supposed to be active at night and it'll upset them.

Hmm, spirit houses are animist though... plenty of those around in TH. I thought a lot of the superstitions mentioned were of Chinese origin, especially the ugly baby one. Hairdressers' were actually shut on Wednesdays in the 90s in Bangkok. Also, a pregnant woman must not sit on the stairs (why, no idea) and a single woman must not sing in the kitchen unless she wants an old husband are other ones I've heard.

Hmm, spirit houses are animist though... plenty of those around in TH. I thought a lot of the superstitions mentioned were of Chinese origin, especially the ugly baby one. Hairdressers' were actually shut on Wednesdays in the 90s in Bangkok. Also, a pregnant woman must not sit on the stairs (why, no idea) and a single woman must not sing in the kitchen unless she wants an old husband are other ones I've heard.

Yes you are right, spirit houses are animist. But the spirit house has been taken up complete by Theradeva Buddhism and it's part of the beliefs.

We had the senior monks coming and surveying our land for bad spirits and they were apparently telling them to sling their hook and don't bother us . . :o

The other week i dream't that my front teeth were falling out,& i told my other half about the dream the morning after,to which she told me that it means that somebody old in your family is sick,but i recon it was just where i hadnt brushed my teeth before bed,& this was bothering me in my sleep. :o

When we saw an owl perched on a telephone cable my ex g/f rushed over to shoo it away as she believes that if an owl visits 3 times someone close will die very soon.

The owl came back 3 nights but no one died yet she is still adamant about her superstition.

Asked about the dropped plate last night. Translation was true, (a little bit shocked), but also, whoever you happen to maybe thinking about at the time may come by a mishap. Since a wife with family carrying a plate is probably with family, it would lead to there being a great chance that something bad could come to the family.

Picked up a book today in the airport "Men, women, Bangkok" by Scot Barne, explains many many of the silly superstitions that still hold today.

Thai.

Very silly new boss in Thailand took the old stopped clock home for refurbishment, all the office is waiting for his clock to stop

Thai.

It only applies to clocks. In Chinese, "clock" sounds exactly like "end".

Giving the "clock" would sound like: sending the person to the "end", and in this case "end" means "death".

sure we're superior

sure we can smile or laugh about superstition ( and 9x% is superstition yes)

but you , have you ever felt or seen the unkown , been goose fleshed

been paralysed , pissed your pants ?

if not these posts here are oke , for amusement, nothing wrong with that

foam on the waves of the internet

but if you have , please share

i do not dare , i'm a bit of a coward

afraid to be cut down

tsjoener

Superstitions are a way of life in our home. The day we were married, the day we moved into our home, the day our child was born, the letters in her name totaling a "good number". We use her nickname allways, and never call her "cute". Her and our beds face in the right direction. Certain plants that can not be planted near the home. Some not even on the property. It goes on and on, everyday! I would not change one thing about her. I love her, and will honor her wishes.

Boy. I hope I didn't write something that will cause a ghost tonight!

meandwi

After being paid a bonus I took some money from an ATM and tapped it over my missus like the market vendors do for a joke.

She found this very funny and strange and spent time telling people about it like it had some meaning or it may have some implications for the future.

I have told her a million times it was an off the cuff joke.

Superstious people are nuts.

My wife like many Thais is convinced people born with no arms or legs deserved this as they were bad in a previous life. I spent many hours talking to her about DNA and damage to this and associated problems followed by a nice chat about thalidamide drugs and general birth defects as my Brother is mentally handicapped. She was amazed and I am staggered they still believe this crap in 2008!! Keeps them all "dwon and in their place" I suppose!!

She has a nephew who was born with an eye problem and I asked if he had been bad in a previous life too? She said no he handt so i asked her at what point does a birth defect mean you "have" been bad, ie born with 6 fingers does it mean you have been good or bad? etc etc I think she may be changing her opinion but she had certainly never heard of DNA and she has a degree but then again its a "Thai" degree and after speaking to a Thai/Australian she told me its all parott fashion learning here.

Heh, not sure if this counts, or if it's just a family thing, but:

Whenever somebody in my family or area gets a new car, house, etc. they'll continue to purchase it's license plate number, address, etc. in the lottery until it wins.

Also, if somebody has a dream about this or that the first thing they think is what it means to the lottery.

Ex: I had an aunt that was pretty close to my immediate family who died in the hospital just over a year ago. Since then, my mother dreamt that she (aunt) gave her a visit and began listing off numbers. After waking up, my mother wrote down the numbers and purchased a lottery ticket on them.

----------------------

On the belief that ghosts don't travel overseas, the morning after (Have to wake up at 5:30 for school) my aunt died--as I was eating breakfast and watching the news--there was a loud bang on our door and my mother began praying and told whatever it was that it could leave. She then told me it was my aunt coming to part ways with us. I'm not particularly superstitious, but I didn't argue.

----------------------

The transference of bad luck/karma/whatever seems to be prominent. When the family was younger, one of my aunts would often make fun of a boy who had an eye significantly smaller than the other (that same smaller eye could also never fully close unless manipulated my some other force). When she had her second child--a boy--that child had the same condition. An eye for an eye?

The transference of bad luck/karma/whatever seems to be prominent. When the family was younger, one of my aunts would often make fun of a boy who had an eye significantly smaller than the other (that same smaller eye could also never fully close unless manipulated my some other force). When she had her second child--a boy--that child had the same condition. An eye for an eye?

For more examples of this, watch "Karma Likhit" (กรรมลิขิต) on Thai channel 5, on Tuesdays from 9:20-10:00pm.

(P.S. In case anyone's wondering, I've had this signature for the past 3 years.)

Edited by siamesekitty

The also say "mun kieow" which means, "I just want to chew you up"

Interesting. In my experience it's not unusual for a Thai lady, when she's feeling particularly affectionate towards you, to squeeze you repeatedly while hissing sort of mock-fiercely "mun kieow, mun kieow". (Actually what I hear is more like "man kieow".)

I was told it's what they say to children and in the explanation I was given there was some suggestion of eating - since then I've taken the phrase to mean something like "oh you're so darn cute I could eat you up".

I know it's hard to believe women say this to me all the time :o

The also say "mun kieow" which means, "I just want to chew you up"

Interesting. In my experience it's not unusual for a Thai lady, when she's feeling particularly affectionate towards you, to squeeze you repeatedly while hissing sort of mock-fiercely "mun kieow, mun kieow". (Actually what I hear is more like "man kieow".)

I was told it's what they say to children and in the explanation I was given there was some suggestion of eating - since then I've taken the phrase to mean something like "oh you're so darn cute I could eat you up".

I know it's hard to believe women say this to me all the time :o

Thanks for that. My partner is always pinching me and squeezing me hard whilst muttering something like that. She always tells me that its an affection thing. Thought she had caught my eyes straying for a while. Not that they were though. :D

My wife like many Thais is convinced people born with no arms or legs deserved this as they were bad in a previous life. I spent many hours talking to her about DNA and damage to this and associated problems followed by a nice chat about thalidamide drugs and general birth defects as my Brother is mentally handicapped. She was amazed and I am staggered they still believe this crap in 2008!! Keeps them all "dwon and in their place" I suppose!!

She has a nephew who was born with an eye problem and I asked if he had been bad in a previous life too? She said no he handt so i asked her at what point does a birth defect mean you "have" been bad, ie born with 6 fingers does it mean you have been good or bad? etc etc I think she may be changing her opinion but she had certainly never heard of DNA and she has a degree but then again its a "Thai" degree and after speaking to a Thai/Australian she told me its all parott fashion learning here.

Are you going to tell the 3 billion Hindus and Buddhists that they are all wrong too and you are right? :o

No, it's definately 'mun'.

Regarding your wife coming around to see things scientifically, I wouldn't bet on it. Fifty percent of college student think that vision works by some sort of vision-rays coming out of the eye, like superman sees. Regardless of having just read an article explaining how vision is about light coming into the eye, their misconception will persist.

Even the most obvious and easily corrected misconceptions are sometimes extremely resistant to change. Yes, people are that stubborn.

I can't stand that sh!t.

Dunno what it was but we have a perfectly fine kitchen, mother in law came over after the baby's birth and there were onion and garlic peels on the washroom floor. :D

Baby had beautiful hair at birth but got his head, eye lashes and eyebrows shaved at one month. :o

That one made me mad for risk of infection from small cuts.