Laos Visa For Thai

bjohn34

Does a Thai citizen need a passport for a day trip into Laos of can they get in and back with any other documents?

Thai citizens can go to the Lao P.D.R. with the I.D.They need a border Pass,with a photo,to make on the border.It's good for 2 nights,but can be extended by the Lao Immigration.With the Passport they can stay a month,no charge.

A Thai person can cross the border into Laos at the Friendship bridge at Nong Khai using their ID card. The cost is 30 baht if I remember correctly. They will need a passport photo and be required to fill in a form and attach the photo. If that Thai person uses a passport they will pay the same as a Farang - $35 US dollars or Baht 1300.

My Thai wife and i crossed there last month to get my Non Imm "O" visa

A Thai person can cross the border into Laos at the Friendship bridge at Nong Khai using their ID card. The cost is 30 baht if I remember correctly. They will need a passport photo and be required to fill in a form and attach the photo. If that Thai person uses a passport they will pay the same as a Farang - $35 US dollars or Baht 1300.

A thai citizen does not get charged (only minimal fee) for entering Laos with a passport. Been 3 times with the wife on a passport.

Wrong! :o I drive to Lao many times,my,Thai,wife travel on her,Thai Passport.She does not pay the 35$ or 1300 Baht,and never did.

The daily pass may cost 20 or 30 Baht,long time since she used it.

Wrong! :o I drive to Lao many times,my,Thai,wife travel on her,Thai Passport.She does not pay the 35$ or 1300 Baht,and never did.

The daily pass may cost 20 or 30 Baht,long time since she used it.

Another point to note is that it is necessary to show birth certificates for any accompanying children.

Does a Thai citizen need a passport for a day trip into Laos of can they get in and back with any other documents?

I am Thai and I have a passport. Last trip I and husband visited Laos with 2Thai friends.

I did use only passport to cross the border at the Nong Kai bridge. 2Thai friends have no passport so they went to the Nong Kai city hall and paid 60Baht each to get the 'temporary border pass'(dont know the English term for this but just translated word by word. It is one A4 paper with photo,take a photo there).

We also paid for the bus ticket after the passport checkpoint.(about 20 or 30 Bht/person,really forgot how much).But I also saw many peple walked cross the bridge.

Thai dont need to pay for a VISA but for my husband paid 30$ at the Laos immigration office,near by the passport checkpoint in Laos.

The way back at the passport checkpoint to Thailand. The officer did not return the 'temporary border pass' to friends. It can be used only once.

Hope this one day trip info can help some.

Edited by NBigalke

I am Thai and I have a passport. Last trip I and husband visited Laos with 2Thai friends.

I did use only passport to cross the border at the Nong Kai bridge. 2Thai friends have no passport so they went to the Nong Kai city hall and paid 60Baht each to get the 'temporary border pass'(dont know the English term for this but just translated word by word. It is one A4 paper with photo,can take a photo there.) With the 'temp border pass',Thai can live in Laos for 3 days,with passport can live 1month.

We also paid for the bus ticket after the passport checkpoint.(about 20 or 30 Bht/person,really forgot how much).But I also saw many peple walked cross the bridge.

Thai dont need to pay for a VISA but for my husband paid 30$ at the Laos immigration office,near by the passport checkpoint in Laos.

The way back at the passport checkpoint to Thailand. The officer did not return the 'temporary border pass' to friends. It can be used only once.

I did use only passport to cross the border at the Nong Kai bridge. 2Thai friends have no passport so they went to the Nong Kai city hall and paid 60Baht each to get the 'temporary border pass'(dont know the English term for this but just translated word by word. It is one A4 paper with photo,can take a photo there.) With the 'temp border pass',Thai can live in Laos for 3 days,with passport can live 1month.

Spot on!

I don't think you can walk over the Bridge(to save the 20 Baht for the bus?)but they let you walk up to the middle of the Mekhong,to take some photos and so.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like there are a few dif.opinions on this and I'm sure you are all correct, in Laos just like in Thailand the interpretation of the laws are made by the person behind the desk...glad the driver of our minibus back in December made the decission that we were not going over the bridge, wouldn't have looked too good for this farang (who was in charge of the trip) to have the 9 members of the wifes family turned away for whatever reason....side note: NBigalke interesting name, your hubby pick it?

• 1 month later...

Carnwadrick I don't think everyone is correct. Most are but NOT all. For one i.e. Bicko is dead WRONG. Subject to exceptions and circumstances provided for in the rest of the Framework, Article 1 of the ASEAN (to which BOTH Laos and Thailand are component Member Countries of) Framework Agreement on Visa Exemption, Kuala Lumpur, 25 July 2006, states in NO UNCLEAR TERMS the following:

Member Countries, where applicable, shall exempt citizens of any other Member Countries holding valid national passports from visa requirement for a period of stay of up to 14 (fourteen) days from the date of entry, provided that such stay shall not be used for purposes other than visit. Citizens of Member Countries who enter another Member Countries for other purposes or for a stay exceeding the days allowed under the laws and regulations of the host countries are required to apply for appropriate visas or passes.

Source: http://www.aseansec.org/18570.htm

See also http://www.mofa.gov.la/consular/Visas.htm

Edited by bulgingballs

• 3 weeks later...
... 2Thai friends have no passport so they went to the Nong Kai city hall and paid 60Baht each to get the 'temporary border pass'(dont know the English term for this but just translated word by word. It is one A4 paper with photo,take a photo there).

And even the trip to Nong Kai City Hall is not necessary, as there are quite a few persons around that will take care of creating a border pass - including the photo. Happened to us three months ago, when 3 Thai Nationals with ID-Card only wanted to visit Vientianne for a day. Costs for the local service was 100 Baht per person.

• 2 months later...

Rip off .... Thais can get a single day at the border for 30 baht. Only ID is required. If they are going for multiple days, a border pass issued by Nong Khai City Hall is required. Furthermore I believe that this multiple border passes are only issued for those living in Nong Khai and surrounding border villages.

Thanks for the useful information gentlemen and ladies.

Since teelack (a thai citizen with a thai passport) and I are not married but will be traveling to Laos in September could I get your experiences re: no problems with us sharing a room in Laos? :o

Sorry if it's a little off topic, but I hate to start a string for this little matter.

~WISteve

Thanks for the useful information gentlemen and ladies.

Since teelack (a thai citizen with a thai passport) and I are not married but will be traveling to Laos in September could I get your experiences re: no problems with us sharing a room in Laos? :o

Sorry if it's a little off topic, but I hate to start a string for this little matter.

~WISteve

Doubt if even the commies have room police, Steve :D

But watch out, they do drive on the right hand side of the road...not sure if you have to change halfway across :D

and to add, the Lao allow citizens of Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, The Philipines, Malaysia Japan and Russia visa free entry, I'm not entirely sure about the duration, but I do know Vietnamese, Cambodians and Thais get 30 days.

......if they have a passport, otherwise they (the Thais) will get 2 days only on just the Thai ID.

And to WI Steve I would say...... DO NOT WORRY!

• 1 month later...
and to add, the Lao allow citizens of Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, The Philipines, Malaysia Japan and Russia visa free entry, I'm not entirely sure about the duration, but I do know Vietnamese, Cambodians and Thais get 30 days.

......if they have a passport, otherwise they (the Thais) will get 2 days only on just the Thai ID.

And to WI Steve I would say...... DO NOT WORRY!

OK... Here's a summary of what has been written so far...

If Thai and has ID card -- 3 days, 2 nights for about 100 Baht... true from what you have experienced???

If Thai and has passport -- 14 days or 30 days AND WHAT IS THE FEE... ???

Can we get an update on this from someone who really knows? The devil is in the details, ya know?

Maybe gzu88bv knows the answer on this? ;-)

Many thanks -- me and my Thai GF will be going to Laos next week!

Cheers,

dseawarrior

:o

OK... Here's a summary of what has been written so far...

If Thai and has ID card -- 3 days, 2 nights for about 100 Baht... true from what you have experienced???

If Thai and has passport -- 14 days or 30 days AND WHAT IS THE FEE... ???

Can we get an update on this from someone who really knows? The devil is in the details, ya know?

Maybe gzu88bv knows the answer on this? ;-)

Many thanks -- me and my Thai GF will be going to Laos next week!

Cheers,

dseawarrior

:o

If Thai with ID Card......Border Pass about 100 Baht.......2 nights..........may extend in Lao up to a week,fee about 200 Baht.

If Thai with Passport........30 days............NO fee........10 Baht to the unfriendly Police at the entry desk......

Have a good time :D

• 1 year later...
The border pass can be obtained directly at Friendship bridge so no need to go down to the city hall.

Loittle shops will do the visa for your thai friends - they charge about 120 baht Vs 60 baht if you go to the town hall

NOTE

This service stops at about 4.30 pm (when the town hall shuts) so useful only if you get there in time.

Coming back closes for the border passes is 10pm - but I have seen people do it later.

ANyone with a ID card )i.e. 15 and over) can do this (THai that is) as said under 15's need their Thia birth certificate and be travelling with a relative - not even mother or father -we've taken neices and nephews often.

I do the trip about once every 6 weeks - we live near by and like Laos.

As the shop bought visa takes about 1/2 hour - and getting the Farang Laos Visa takes about 1/2 hour - I go across ahead of the family - they always arrive just as I get my visa on the Laos side and we usually cross within 5 minutes of each other.

First timers may want to stay together but makes the crossing a lot longer - especially in the warmer months.