The Dark Side

paul1970

I live on the dark side and thought a best eateries and pub's / bars for the dark side would be good as there seems very little information available for what is over here.

Usually when I want a beer or some food I cross over Sukhumvit and theres only 2 places I've really been to over here, the new Kiss eatery on Soi Siam CC has OK food 24 Hours a day and occasionally I have had a beer in Lucky Time bar on Soi Nernplubwaan, the bar is OK but I would suggest that you avoid the food, not good.

Has anybody tried the pub on Soi Khao Noi called the Red Lion, I was given a recommendation but every time I drive past it seems empty ?

Anyway c'mon you dark siders let's get some quality info on the dark side.

just down from the red lion on the left hand side

try sue's bar for a drink also next door is a good little resturant cheap with great food

red lion food is ok but like you say its always empty so you end up having a conversation with yourself

I live on Nernplubwan so am most familiar with that street. Have lived in East Pattaya for over 3 years so know many good places over on this side...in fact, there often times when I go for days without going to the "other side" until I run out of some viddles and have to drop-in at Foodland or Villa. So here is my list:

On Nernplubwan itself, just next to the Esso gas station is La Var Coffee Cafe...great hot and cold coffee/espresso drinks and Italian sodas. Very friendly staff and free water and cookies with most orders. Also, free daily Bangkok Post, Thai papers (for the misses) and wifi and desktop station internet service. It is about 4 kilos up from Sukkie and is easy to miss as it small and between Esso and the 7-11. Another super coffee shop cum bakery/ice cream shop is the Sweet Pinto Cafe and Bakery. It's located just a little ways up from Lucky Time bar across from the Muslim school on the right had side of the street. This place has good espresso drinks and is also a bakery and ice cream parlor. There is a large selection of homemade cakes (whole or slices) as well as ice cream (Nestle) scoops and sundaes. They also do shaved-ice concoctions (snow cones). They also do custom cake orders for birthdays, weddings, etc. This is a great place to take the kids.

Just up from La Var (going away from Sukkie) on the left is Happy Holiday restaurant. Great Thai dishes (best pad sieuew noodles I have found in Patters) and very cheap. Continuing down Nernplubwan to soi 24, if you make a right and go up about a kilo or so, on the right had side is a nice steakhouse. I don't remember the name but it has decent steaks and Thai food. Indoor and garden seating. If you were to continue down Nernplubwan a little farther, on the left will be Ruam Tip Restaurant. This place in another place for great Thai and farang dishes. Prices are very reasonable and portions are large. I eat here at least 3-4x per week (the rest at Happy Holiday). Also, forgot to mention, right before the Esso station is the sign for Dao Cafe. Turn right and go down about a kilometer and there it is. The Thai and farang good is decent. Selection of Euro sausages and meat dishes with a French touch. Also Pizzas after 6 p.m.

Now, this next group of restaurants is a little harder to find if you are not too familiar with the area around the temple at the foot of Nernplubwan...but they are worth searching out. Basically you want to find the road/way to either Little Hill Resort or the Swiss Paradise housing estate. Go doen soi Nernplubwan to Mapilla soi 28 and make a right (also known as Pattanakarn Road). Go a few hundred meters across a bridge and take the first road to the left. Continue along the road until you come to a fork in the road (an abanded Tieno restaurant is at this junction) and keep to your right. Along the next few hundred meters of this road are 3 good farang restos...The new Tieno Italian restaurant, Little Hill Resort's restaurants, and Swiss Paradise restaurant.

Tieno is set in a very nice garden setting. I have been a couple times now and the pastas are good. Have not tried any of the meat dishes. The pizzas are pretty good if you like very very thin crust. There is an open show kitchen for the kids to watch the cooking. There is no indoor seating here so dress for appropriately and take some Off with you. Little Hill restaurant is continental Euro food and is nice...it is located in the resort itself and you have to drive in past the security gate. Swiss Paradise restaurant is as the name implies Swiss/Continental food. Vary nice indoor and outdoor veranda seating overlooking the mooban's pool area. They do a very nice Swiss/Thai buffet on Saturday nites during high season. Prices at these three restos are a little higher than the other places mentioned on Nernplubwan...one could eat very well, however, for B 300-400 per person.

Another nice nice find is a little coffee cafe/sandwich shop out near the Horse Shoe Point Resort. Basically, go down Siam Country Club to Maprachan lake and take the right turn at the sign to the Horse Shoe Point Resort. Drive about 3-4 kilos and on your left you will see an expensive looking moobaan with a small coffee shop out front. I forget the names at the moment. This place does very nice sandwiches and has some cakes and pies too. Also, bread loafs, sandwich rolls, and other bakery goods are sold for takeaway. There is aircon indoor and patio seating and free newspapers for reading.

Lucky Time Bar is great for drinks, decent Thai food, and free pool and darts. I ate once at Red Lion and it was crap.

Well, with a list like this (and more opening all the time) it's easy to see why one can go many a day without having to go into Patters itself to find a good meal.

Edited by jonniebkk
  • Like 1

Very good report, Jonnie.

I take my family to eat at Ruam Tip Restaurant 3-4 times per week as well, when we are in town, and have only high praise for the food.

I began eating there a few days after they opened in 2005 (as I recall) and I have never had a bad meal or poorly prepared meal in that time.

I can only give them top marks.

A more appropriate topic might be ... How do I get to the DarkSide ?

and even more important ... How do I get home afterwards ? :o

Seriously though, It's not going to take off till they get the elevated railway up and running !

Naka.

Edited by naka

How do I get to the DarkSide ? and even more important ... How do I get home afterwards ? :o

Seriously though, It's not going to take off till they get the elevated railway up and running !

Let me count the ways...your own car or moto, moto taxi, songtow (there is regular public service [red colour] ones that run the length of Nernblubwan).

But more seriously though, most of us moved over here because it was NOT like the "light" side and like it just the way it is. We prefer that it not "take off" in any meaningful sense of the world. We enjoy our quiet [for Pattaya] and friendly village atmosphere and are happy to let you keep all the "excitement" of Patters to yourselves :D

PS: Correction...the La Var Cafe is about 1 kilo up from Sukkie, not 4 as originally stated.

Edited by jonniebkk

I live on Nernplubwan so am most familiar with that street. Have lived in East Pattaya for over 3 years so know many good places over on this side...in fact, there often times when I go for days without going to the "other side" until I run out of some viddles and have to drop-in at Foodland or Villa. So here is my list:

On Nernplubwan itself, just next to the Esso gas station is La Var Coffee Cafe...great hot and cold coffee/espresso drinks and Italian sodas. Very friendly staff and free water and cookies with most orders. Also, free daily Bangkok Post, Thai papers (for the misses) and wifi and desktop station internet service. It is about 4 kilos up from Sukkie and is easy to miss as it small and between Esso and the 7-11. Another super coffee shop cum bakery/ice cream shop is the Sweet Pinto Cafe and Bakery. It's located just a little ways up from Lucky Time bar across from the Muslim school on the right had side of the street. This place has good espresso drinks and is also a bakery and ice cream parlor. There is a large selection of homemade cakes (whole or slices) as well as ice cream (Nestle) scoops and sundaes. They also do shaved-ice concoctions (snow cones). They also do custom cake orders for birthdays, weddings, etc. This is a great place to take the kids.

Well, we're practically neighbors, Jonnie. I live near the east end of Nernplubwarn, I assume a bit east of where you live. I've never noticed or tried the coffee shops you mentioned, but I'll give them a shot some morning now. The La Var sounds particularly nice. I have tried some of the places below, and I'll add a couple of comments, if I may.

Just up from La Var (going away from Sukkie) on the left is Happy Holiday restaurant. Great Thai dishes (best pad sieuew noodles I have found in Patters) and very cheap.

I haven't tried this place, but I think I recall seeing the sign as I pass. Another addition to my list of places to try. Thanks.

Continuing down Nernplubwan to soi 24, if you make a right and go up about a kilo or so, on the right had side is a nice steakhouse. I don't remember the name but it has decent steaks and Thai food. Indoor and garden seating.

That would be the Sam Tor Steak House, I believe. The only problem there is that it's a rather limited menu. The owner is a nice guy, but not very open to suggestion or requests for additions or changes to his menu. The steaks are decent enough for the price, as you said.

If you were to continue down Nernplubwan a little farther, on the left will be Ruam Tip Restaurant. This place in another place for great Thai and farang dishes. Prices are very reasonable and portions are large. I eat here at least 3-4x per week (the rest at Happy Holiday).

The name is actually Rung Thip, Jonnie, but close enough. If you eat there that often, I'm sure we've seen each other. My wife and I eat there just about as often as you do. Best larp gai in Pattaya, IMO. The Hungarian Beef Goulash is very good too. Huge portion of tender stew beef. Several good western dishes on the menu. Two very sweet Thai girls provide good service. Oh, and they serve the beer colder than I've had it in any restaurant in Pattaya!

Also, forgot to mention, right before the Esso station is the sign for Dao Cafe. Turn right and go down about a kilometer and there it is. The Thai and farang good is decent. Selection of Euro sausages and meat dishes with a French touch. Also Pizzas after 6 p.m.

I stopped in there only once, for breakfast, which was very good. My wife didn't like the looks of the place, so we've never gone there for dinner.

Now, this next group of restaurants is a little harder to find if you are not too familiar with the area around the temple at the foot of Nernplubwan...but they are worth searching out. Basically you want to find the road/way to either Little Hill Resort or the Swiss Paradise housing estate. Go doen soi Nernplubwan to Mapilla soi 28 and make a right (also known as Pattanakarn Road). Go a few hundred meters across a bridge and take the first road to the left. Continue along the road until you come to a fork in the road (an abanded Tieno restaurant is at this junction) and keep to your right. Along the next few hundred meters of this road are 3 good farang restos...The new Tieno Italian restaurant, Little Hill Resort's restaurants, and Swiss Paradise restaurant.

Great job on the directions, Jonnie! The first and third of these are also regulars for my wife and me. But I have another correction to make here. The Italian restaurant is Ticino's (not 'Tieno'). An added feature at Ticino's is that there is a nice, albeit small, bar up front. It's a circular bar, and very cozy for just sitting and chatting with folks. (No, there are no "girls" working the bar!) The owner, Peter, is a very pleasant guy, and mixes with the customers regularly. He stays open, as he said, as long as people are still eating and drinking.

Tieno is set in a very nice garden setting. I have been a couple times now and the pastas are good. Have not tried any of the meat dishes. The pizzas are pretty good if you like very very thin crust. There is an open show kitchen for the kids to watch the cooking. There is no indoor seating here so dress for appropriately and take some Off with you. Little Hill restaurant is continental Euro food and is nice...it is located in the resort itself and you have to drive in past the security gate. Swiss Paradise restaurant is as the name implies Swiss/Continental food. Vary nice indoor and outdoor veranda seating overlooking the mooban's pool area. They do a very nice Swiss/Thai buffet on Saturday nites during high season. Prices at these three restos are a little higher than the other places mentioned on Nernplubwan...one could eat very well, however, for B 300-400 per person.

Again, a good description of Swiss Paradise, which is our second most frequently visited place, after Rung Thip. The owner, Walter, used to manage the mooban, but dropped that a few years ago. He's also a very friendly guy, who mixes regularly with the customers. He's a professional restauranteur, having run and owned restaurants in his native Switzerland before moving to Thailand. Excellent service, with close attention to detail by Walter to ensure that his girls are well trained. His wife sits at the desk up front, and manages the books. She also chooses the background music for the place, and it's perfect for an old American dude, like me - mostly 50's, 60's, and 70's ballad and light rock stuff. Nice. Outstanding sausage here. Very good steak and pork. Add the clean, comfortable atmosphere, and this is well worth those "high prices", IMO. Since I always get a large carafe of wine, and my wife always gets a couple of Thai things to take home for a midnight meal, our total is usually about B 1000. But, as Jonnie said, a normal meal for 2 people would usually range between B600-B800.

Another nice nice find is a little coffee cafe/sandwich shop out near the Horse Shoe Point Resort. Basically, go down Siam Country Club to Maprachan lake and take the right turn at the sign to the Horse Shoe Point Resort. Drive about 3-4 kilos and on your left you will see an expensive looking moobaan with a small coffee shop out front. I forget the names at the moment. This place does very nice sandwiches and has some cakes and pies too. Also, bread loafs, sandwich rolls, and other bakery goods are sold for takeaway. There is aircon indoor and patio seating and free newspapers for reading.

Another to add to my list. Never been there.

Lucky Time Bar is great for drinks, decent Thai food, and free pool and darts. I ate once at Red Lion and it was crap.

Agree on the Lucky Time, although I've only been there once. I stopped in on my way back home from a quick trip to Foodland. I'm not able to get to check out bars as often as I'd like, because my wife literally doesn't understand the concept of enjoying a couple of beers at a bar. She thinks they all have "other purposes". I think that's true of most Thai women who haven't frequented such places. They have only the image from the reputation in their minds.

Well, with a list like this (and more opening all the time) it's easy to see why one can go many a day without having to go into Patters itself to find a good meal.

Great job on the list, Jonnie. If you spot us at Rung Thip, Ticino's, or Swiss Paradise, please drop by and say 'Hello'.

Patsfangr - Thanks for the kind words. It is amazing the variety and quality of places we have to eat out here isn't it. Makes living out here very nice indeed.

As to the coffee shops...do give them both a try...they are both good and run by very friendly Thai owners/staff. The only problem is that when I am stranded in central Pattaya and in need of an espresso drink...paying the silly money prices there just kills me. The max price in both these places is B35 for lattes and B 25 for espresso shot! About half the cost of most in-town places. Both also have free member card schemes for free drinks after purchase of a set number. La Var is more a pure cafe...with only a few cookies for sale besides their coffee and soda drinks. Pinto is better is you want a piece of cake, cookies, or ice cream with your coffee. Pinto can get a little crowded and noisy in the afternoon after school lets out but quiets down again by late afternoon.

As to the steakhouse...I think the one you mention, Sam Tor, is actually on Nernplubwan isn't it? I did not mean this place as I have never eaten there. The one I am speaking about you actually have to make a right turn at soi 24 and go about 2 kilos up this side street. I seem to recall the place has a farang name...maybe Garden Steakhouse or something.

As to Dao Cafe...your wife's 2nd sense is working overtime :o And she probably didn't like Dao too much as it does have a sinister twin sister establishment attached to it. There is the outside poolside cafe/bar, which is the respectable part of this establishment and then there is an inner-sanctum "dark" bar in a private area of the resort behind the pool. I have never been myself but I have heard remours that women of easy virtue may be found there...shock...the shock of such a thing in Patters :D

I wish I could remember the name of the cafe near the Horseshoe Point...it is really nice. One of the best club sandwiches in Patters (and no silly fried egg in it like you find in most versions in Thailand :D ). They also have decent muffins and also open for breakfast also.

Edited by jonniebkk

I live on the dark side and thought a best eateries and pub's / bars for the dark side would be good as there seems very little information available for what is over here.

Usually when I want a beer or some food I cross over Sukhumvit and theres only 2 places I've really been to over here, the new Kiss eatery on Soi Siam CC has OK food 24 Hours a day and occasionally I have had a beer in Lucky Time bar on Soi Nernplubwaan, the bar is OK but I would suggest that you avoid the food, not good.

Has anybody tried the pub on Soi Khao Noi called the Red Lion, I was given a recommendation but every time I drive past it seems empty ?

Anyway c'mon you dark siders let's get some quality info on the dark side.

you can get a very palatable and good value breakfast at Chesters in the little Soi opposite the busy market, the sausages are excellent!

its over the railway bridge and about 50 metres on the right hand side, theres a 7-11 on the corner. theres ample parking which is free to users of the businesses in the Soi, otherwise you have to pay.

the charge is to discourage users of the market from parking there.

Patsfangr - Thanks for the kind words. It is amazing the variety and quality of places we have to eat out here isn't it. Makes living out here very nice indeed.

As to the steakhouse...I think the one you mention, Sam Tor, is actually on Nernplubwan isn't it? I did not mean this place as I have never eaten there. The one I am speaking about you actually have to make a right turn at soi 24 and go about 2 kilos up this side street. I seem to recall the place has a farang name...maybe Garden Steakhouse or something.

As to Dao Cafe...your wife's 2nd sense is working overtime :o And she probably didn't like Dao too much as it does have a sinister twin sister establishment attached to it. There is the outside poolside cafe/bar, which is the respectable part of this establishment and then there is an inner-sanctum "dark" bar in a private area of the resort behind the pool. I have never been myself but I have heard remours that women of easy virtue may be found there...shock...the shock of such a thing in Patters :D

I wish I could remember the name of the cafe near the Horseshoe Point...it is really nice. One of the best club sandwiches in Patters (and no silly fried egg in it like you find in most versions in Thailand :D ). They also have decent muffins and also open for breakfast also.

Yeah, Jonnie, I was referring to Sam Tor. I've never been to the other steak house you mentioned.

Dao Cafe is really tucked back in a place where I wouldn't expect to find the "other half" you mentioned. Seems totally residential back there. But, as you said, I think wives can smell "danger" from a mile away! :D

I wish I could remember the name of the cafe near the Horseshoe Point...it is really nice. One of the best club sandwiches in Patters (and no silly fried egg in it like you find in most versions in Thailand :o ). They also have decent muffins and also open for breakfast also.

Deli bean is the name, and the expensive looking moobaan is called Laurel park...

I wish I could remember the name of the cafe near the Horseshoe Point...it is really nice. One of the best club sandwiches in Patters (and no silly fried egg in it like you find in most versions in Thailand :o ). They also have decent muffins and also open for breakfast also.

Deli bean is the name, and the expensive looking moobaan is called Laurel park...

There you have it...do we have the best mods or what! :D

Edited by jonniebkk

There you have it...do we have the best mods or what!

Ha, you better know it! :o:D

Living in the area helps though!

The Eastern part of soi Siam Country club has quite a bit of eateries as well.

Rainbow as Suiging above mentioned, driving further eastwards you have another Thai restaurant of which the name escapes me (can happen to a mod as well you know :D ), recognizable by some neon in the garden. That place my wife likes the most.

Almost opposite you have a new good looking coffee shop called Chonlada, advertising free wifi internet as well. Not been inside yet.

500 meters past that restaurant you have Manneken Pis (next to VJ land moobaan), good for some of their Belgian specialties along with a Belgian beer (expensive but mmmmmm).

Just past Manneken pis you have the outback bar, basically a gathering place for golfers, for the early risers I think they're open for business from 7 in the morning! They have a menu but have never eaten there yet.

Keep on driving around the lake you'll see, also in front of an expensive looking moobaan, Inn on the lake. Supposedly sells Mediterranean style foods.

Driving along the lake you'll pass Fisherman's rest, English pub fare.

Further down you have the oldest restaurant around the lake, Khun John. Some like it, I don't fancy it, and they must have the worst band in existence playing from 7pm onwards. Extremely popular with the weekend Bangkok crowd, when it can be very busy!

About 1 km further down the road you have Mulligans, a newly opened Irish pub/restaurant, they do a brilliant searing hot vindaloo!

Good stuff Monty.

Outback good value full brakfast.

WiFi cafe also very good B'fast with excellent coffee.

Sadly the band starts at six not seven at KJ's. Personally don't enjoy their main dishes, however , their crab cakes and pork neck salad are wonderful with a large Chang or three as the sun sets into a red ball over the lake.

outback bar, basically a gathering place for golfers, for the early risers I think they're open for business from 7 in the morning! They have a menu but have never eaten there yet.

Any more precise details on the location of Outback resto?

Khun John. Some like it, I don't fancy it

Agreed...never been much impressed with the Thai food here...shame really because nice location. The worst thing about eating here is the flies...I have never seen so many at any other restaurant anywhere!

Mulligans, a newly opened Irish pub/restaurant, they do a brilliant searing hot vindaloo!

Real traditional Irish fare ...maybe the new Ireland :o

outback bar, basically a gathering place for golfers, for the early risers I think they're open for business from 7 in the morning! They have a menu but have never eaten there yet.

Any more precise details on the location of Outback resto?

Simple almost next door to the Mannneken Piss. If you park in the wrong place and go to the Outback rather than the Piss, the owner of the Piss will give you some grief, there are a set of traffic cones there so the punters don't get confused. :o

I heard yesterday that the Inn on the Lake is selling up.

I too, like Ticinos for its ambience, personalised service and good food. The meat dishes are very good, and Peter speaks fluent Thai and can explain to your Thai ladies exactly what the dishes contain.

Manneke Pis is one of my favourites - always busy with farangs and families, and they serve until quite late at night. I really recommend their fillet steak, and their Thai food (according to our Thai wives) is also very good.

I also recommend the Indian Curries at Mulligans.

The Terrace Bar, Fisherman's and Da's Bar, and the Peacock bar and motel(all lakeside) all serve food. I think Scotts Corner does as well, but I've never been in there.

There are also a number of simple Thai open air eating places scattered around the Lake which are probably worth a try, if you're feeling adventurous.

Monty is too modest to mention the estimable Mabprachan resort, about 2 kms from the far side of the Lake, in Pong. Nice open air and aircon settings and a full European and Thai menu.

BTW, on the seedier side, The Butterfly has free food every Tuesday afternoon, and The Black Pearl1 has a menu of one dish - stew and stale bread - or least they used to as I haven't been there for a while :o

I like Ticino as well - very nice venue and good food. I have often tried to go to The Inn on the lake but everytime I go past its closed - nice location but might help if they were open every now and again. Delibean is still good for me and I understand they are about to open somewhere in Naklua as well.

I just found out tonight that there will be a new Indian delivery service working from the fisherman's Rest as from Monday called The Tandoori Garden.

They have just built an authentic (ish) oven and there's a real Indian chef.

I had a taster tonight and I give it the thumbs up. The food tastes a lot better than the frozen then microwaved stuff that's available every where else :o

The new menu is very well priced, with more than enough dishes.

The owner ,Toby, is having a sheet load of menus delivered to houses in the area, so you should be able to check the prices yourself very soon.

As a bit of a bonus to this advert I'm posting (yes the owner is a friend of mine) there will be an opening party on Monday evening with a free Indian buffet and a live band :D so welcome all you balloon chasers :D

Wow great response from the Dark siders, LOL.

Tried Rung Thip tonight, a bit difficult to find, very easy to pass heading down Nernplubwaan, caught site of it on the way up, it was totally empty which would usually put me off and I would carry on by but as i'd gone out of my way to find it I thought oh what the hel_l let's give it a shot.

Well I'm glad I did, missus has steamed plakapong with chilies and garlic and she said it was absolutely delicious and I had garlic bread (and you'd be surprised how many falang only restaurants can even <deleted> that up) which came perfectly cooked, slightly crisp and warm. Had seabass steak and baked potato with vegetables and again couldn't fault it, great portion size and I'm a big eater so it was all this and a couple of soft drinks which came to I think it was 470 baht, great value.

Only downside was lack of customers, we where the only ones though another couple came in as we where leaving, but I for one will certainly return and beleive places like this really deserve our support and as such I will add this to the best eateries thread as well.

Good job Rung Thip.

Rung Thip is one of those real finds...we are so lucky to have it in our neighborhood. It is one of the few restos that does good with BOTH the Thai and Farang dishes (usually a place is good in one or the other). The place is pretty big (by Dark Side standards) and open all day so the locals tend to drop on by at all hours so it is never really very crowded. Don't worry, however, as they do a good business I'm sure with so many regulars.

One note about eating there in the evenings, there are a couple karaoke joints close by and the caterwauling that comes from them can be somewhat annoying :o

Late as usual, I will just add that the steak house nobody seem to be able to name is called Sure Park, off soi 24 (or 22) soi Nern Plub Wan. Quite OK food, and setting is nice, prices also. So overall OK, but not great.

The Inn on the lake had a great opportunity, but messed up. Not very good food, VERY slow service, far too high prices for what you got... And now I hear they are about to close. Not surprised.

Khun John's is in my opinion a very good Thai resto, but do not order foreign food there. And yes, do avoid the band!!!

Ticino and Swiss Paradise: Both very good. Little Hill used to be good, but has slipped, and never ever changes the menu. Predictable and boring.

Mulligans pub: Limited experience, but not very good food, same for Lake Mabprachan Resort. Both seem to attract the bargirl seeking croud...

Sorry Monty...

Late as usual, I will just add that the steak house nobody seem to be able to name is called Sure Park, off soi 24 (or 22) soi Nern Plub Wan. Quite OK food, and setting is nice, prices also. So overall OK, but not great.

The Inn on the lake had a great opportunity, but messed up. Not very good food, VERY slow service, far too high prices for what you got... And now I hear they are about to close. Not surprised.

Khun John's is in my opinion a very good Thai resto, but do not order foreign food there. And yes, do avoid the band!!!

Ticino and Swiss Paradise: Both very good. Little Hill used to be good, but has slipped, and never ever changes the menu. Predictable and boring.

Mulligans pub: Limited experience, but not very good food, same for Lake Mabprachan Resort. Both seem to attract the bargirl seeking croud...

Sorry Monty...

Sure Park is great - outdoors and good portions. It's better than any other steakhouse I've found on the beach side of Sukkie. If coming from Nern Plub Wan, it's soi (Maipaglia) 24 - follow the windy soi and eventually you'll see the place on your right. Coming from Khao Talo or Khao Noi, go towards Wat Boonsamphan, and on the top of the road the Wat is on, there is a 7-11 (Kind of across from the Pattaya Hill development). Take the soi behind the 7-11 and follow it down, keeping right at the fork. After a sharp leftward bend, the place will be on your left.

And yes, Ticinos - è molto gustoso, ma un piccolo problema zanzare... bring OFF :o

Edited by Hobgoblin

Rung Thip is one of those real finds...we are so lucky to have it in our neighborhood. It is one of the few restos that does good with BOTH the Thai and Farang dishes (usually a place is good in one or the other). The place is pretty big (by Dark Side standards) and open all day so the locals tend to drop on by at all hours so it is never really very crowded. Don't worry, however, as they do a good business I'm sure with so many regulars.

One note about eating there in the evenings, there are a couple karaoke joints close by and the caterwauling that comes from them can be somewhat annoying :o

Right on all counts, Jonnie. We went in last night at about 9, and it was empty. One couple came in just before we left. But there are usually 3-4 of the 10 or so table filled (never counted). Most tables seat 6, some only 2. I'd guess the total capacity at about 40, right, Jonnie?

It's completely unpredictable as to when it will be busy. The owner hasn't figured it out either. But the 3-4 at any given time is a good average. Since they currently have only 2 waitresses (Da and Meo), that's a good thing. (Although they have had 3 in the past, and I'm sure they'd hire another if the business justified it. I should also note that, when the girls aren't actively picking up, or serving food, they always stand somewhere where they can observe the tables. They do a very good job of paying attention to your needs for more drinks, or additional food.

The karoake definitely IS annoying. We usually ask the girls to turn up the volume on the TV when it's really bad. Unfortunately, that's usually tuned to the Thai "soap operas"; but it's better than the horrific wailing of the karoake "singers". :D

By the way, an outdoor bar has recently opened across the street. I haven't been in there, but it looks decent enough, for those who want to stop in for a couple of drinks after eating. There is some sort of band in there, I think, in addition to periodic karaoke. (Not sure if there are girls "working" it.) Got any more on this place, Jonnie?

I'd guess the total capacity at about 40, right, Jonnie?

Seems about right. Business is steady throughout the day...with a bit of a blip at lunch and dinner. I think maybe one in 2 years I found just about all the outside tables full. Forgot to mention, they also have Cremo brand ice cream (which is not bad by Thai standards) and do very large sundaes if you have room. Also daily Nation paper to read.

...they currently have only 2 waitresses (Da and Meo)

Sometimes there is a third one too. But they all work long hours and I believe live on premises in the rooms in the parking lot. They are very good servers...I think they come from Buriram. [Totally unrelated sexist comment...but hey, this is Patters...they both have killer legs...really long and fit looking for Thai gals :o Their faces let them down a little bit, however.

By the way, an outdoor bar has recently opened across the street.

I think it's another branch of the Oasis Bar chain...the 3rd on Nernplubwan I think. There are also 2 car wash places right accross the street so you can drop the car off for a cleaning while enjoying your meal.

Edited by jonniebkk

I'd guess the total capacity at about 40, right, Jonnie?

Seems about right. Business is steady throughout the day...with a bit of a blip at lunch and dinner. I think maybe one in 2 years I found just about all the outside tables full. Forgot to mention, they also have Cremo brand ice cream (which is not bad by Thai standards) and do very large sundaes if you have room. Also daily Nation paper to read.

Right on the ice cream. I really enjoy that Cremo brand, when I have room for it. You also reminded me here about the fact that there is a small indoor room, which can be booked for parties, etc.. People rarely eat in there when there's room outside. We ducked into it on night last year, when the area was swarmed by those flying termites that hatch at a particular time of year. They were everywhere, so we went inside, and had them close the doors. I do NOT share my food with termites! :-)
...they currently have only 2 waitresses (Da and Meo)
Sometimes there is a third one too. But they all work long hours and I believe live on premises in the rooms in the parking lot. They are very good servers...I think they come from Buriram. [Totally unrelated sexist comment...but hey, this is Patters...they both have killer legs...really long and fit looking for Thai gals :o Their faces let them down a little bit, however.
LOL! Yes, I am a normal and heterosexual male. I definitely notice the legs on the girls; but am disappointed by their consistently conservative dress. Never do get to see anything above the knee! :-) (Although, one night, Da was wearing a pair of tight jeans, instead of the usual long, loose skirts. She filled them out very well, all the way the top! But, make no mistake, these girls are waitresses. NO MORE.
By the way, an outdoor bar has recently opened across the street.
I think it's another branch of the Oasis Bar chain...the 3rd on Nernplubwan I think. There are also 2 car wash places right accross the street so you can drop the car off for a cleaning while enjoying your meal.
We also forgot to mention that they keep a couple fairly large dogs on the property; brother and sister. They may bark at you, if you're new there. But they're sweet dogs, and will not bite. They're kept out of the restaurant, but occassionally try to sneak in, when the place is fairly empty, and the girls aren't looking. They come right up to me, because they know I like them. But the girls chase them back outside pretty quickly. They actually come trotting up to my car door when I arrive now, because they love a little scratch. Nice dogs.

I just found out tonight that there will be a new Indian delivery service working from the fisherman's Rest as from Monday called The Tandoori Garden.

They have just built an authentic (ish) oven and there's a real Indian chef.

I had a taster tonight and I give it the thumbs up. The food tastes a lot better than the frozen then microwaved stuff that's available every where else :o

The new menu is very well priced, with more than enough dishes.

The owner ,Toby, is having a sheet load of menus delivered to houses in the area, so you should be able to check the prices yourself very soon.

As a bit of a bonus to this advert I'm posting (yes the owner is a friend of mine) there will be an opening party on Monday evening with a free Indian buffet and a live band :D so welcome all you balloon chasers :D

The opening party has now been moved forward to Sunday (tomorrow) because the Terrorist Bar already has a party on Monday, see ya there :D