The Dark Side

paul1970

another recommendation is the potato restaurant at the Swiss Sabai resort in Soi Norng Krabong. Run by a German couple, they serve some potato specialties that are hard to get anywhere else. Nice outdoor seating in Thai salas also.

LOL! Yes, I am a normal and heterosexual male. I definitely notice the legs on the girls; but am disappointed by their consistently conservative dress. Never do get to see anything above the knee! :-) (Although, one night, Da was wearing a pair of tight jeans, instead of the usual long, loose skirts. She filled them out very well, all the way the top! But, make no mistake, these girls are waitresses. NO MORE.
We also forgot to mention that they keep a couple fairly large dogs on the property; brother and sister. They may bark at you, if you're new there. But they're sweet dogs, and will not bite. They're kept out of the restaurant, but occassionally try to sneak in, when the place is fairly empty, and the girls aren't looking. They come right up to me, because they know I like them. But the girls chase them back outside pretty quickly. They actually come trotting up to my car door when I arrive now, because they love a little scratch. Nice dogs.

I am happy to know there are other pervs out there besides me. I have always thought Da had a great set of legs. A really nice girl and a very good waitress as well. She will make somebody a very devoted wife.

The dogs are a law unto themselves. They are great with the customers, somehow knowing who is a customer and who is not. They do get a little aggressive near the street sometimes but never have even growled at me or mine.

The other noticeable thing about this restaurant is to watch the seating arrangements. Male customers are always facing the street and female customers are always facing away from the street. It seems to be a natural phenomena. Wonder why?

The Thai soap operas are shown on a television set requiring "facing away from street" seating!!!

I am happy to know there are other pervs out there besides me. I have always thought Da had a great set of legs. A really nice girl and a very good waitress as well. She will make somebody a very devoted wife.

The dogs are a law unto themselves. They are great with the customers, somehow knowing who is a customer and who is not. They do get a little aggressive near the street sometimes but never have even growled at me or mine.

The other noticeable thing about this restaurant is to watch the seating arrangements. Male customers are always facing the street and female customers are always facing away from the street. It seems to be a natural phenomena. Wonder why?

The Thai soap operas are shown on a television set requiring "facing away from street" seating!!!

:o C'mon now, Chuck. A heterosexual male noticing that a young girl has nice legs is far from perverted.

First couple of times we visited, the dogs did bark at us. But never threatened.

As for the seating, it doesn't work that way for us. I almost always face toward the TV and kitchen. My wife usually sits on the end of the table, where she can watch me, the kitchen, and the soaps, all at the same time. :D

By the way, this afternoon, while out to mail a letter, I drove up Soi 24 to check out Sure Park. That is a very nice looking place! I'm going to try to go there tonight for dinner, if I can talk my wife into it. She doesn't have much of an "explorer" spirit in her. But I was really impressed by what I saw, including the menu. They have a very nice selection of both western and Thai foods. If the quality of the food (both western and Thai) matches the venue, this could become a regular for us. I'll let you know how it works out.

Sure Park is nice...just take some bug spray with you.

UH OH! That could be bad news for me. Mosquitoes LOVE me! And I don't enjoy eating with the smell of bug spray all over me.

I actually stopped going to the original Ticino's because of that. The new Ticino's hasn't been a problem, as long we sit away from the outside edges. Maybe I'll try that same tactic at Sure Park tonight.

I'm with patsfangr on this one...I think it's just admiring a pretty lady...nothing perverted in that (as long as the age is appropriate). You are correct, though, that they are both pleasant and hard working gals and will make great wives for a couple lucky guys. One time, I saw an older tall Thai lady that appeared to be their mother (tall and long-legged too...a real looker). If she was mama...can see where the good genes (jeans ) came from.

They do get a little aggressive near the street sometimes but never have even growled at me or mine.

The girls sure like these mutts...seems like they are always feeding them some home cooked chow when I am there. The had 3 puppies too a few months back. Funny thing is how they can't stand Thai folks...always take off at any street vendor who happens to pass near the entrance :o Funny how many soi dogs seem to be dislike Thais...especially men. The "house dog" at La Var cafe is the same...ignores farangs but woe to any Thai male vendor who passes by...instant attack mode!

Never thought about this..but now that you mentioned it...it is true. I always sit facing looking outside to the road. Maybe has something to do with males of any species sorta being the guard gender so always want to be in the position of being able to see the terrain and not have his back to possible danger lurking to his back where he couldn't see it in time to react. Sorta an evolutionary biology explanation.

Sure Park is nice...just take some bug spray with you.

There is a new branch of Kiss Foods on Soi Siam Country Club now. About a kilo down from Sukhumvit.

I stopped in there alone for lunch one day, a few weeks ago. I tried their cheeseburger. MISTAKE!

I'd be willing to try them again sometime, and try something else from the menu. After all, there are only about 3 or 4 places around here that can make even a reasonable facsimile of a USA cheeseburger! (My favorite is 'Great American Rib', on Thepprasit).

There is a new branch of Kiss Foods on Soi Siam Country Club now. About a kilo down from Sukhumvit.

I stopped in there alone for lunch one day, a few weeks ago. I tried their cheeseburger. MISTAKE!

I'd be willing to try them again sometime, and try something else from the menu. After all, there are only about 3 or 4 places around here that can make even a reasonable facsimile of a USA cheeseburger! (My favorite is 'Great American Rib', on Thepprasit).

I have been to the new Kiss a few times, they are OK for thai food but give the falang food a wide berth. First time ordered a chicken steak and ended up with a pork steak, the second time I ordered the half roast chicken and when it arrived it was stone cold in the middle and the waitress came and saw that I had wasted most of the chicken she stuck her finger on the chicken and asked my girlfriend if it was cold and she told my girlfriend that it has happened a few times with that particular item...<deleted> and now iv'e been introduced to Rung Thip I don't think Kiss will be seeing me again.

I just found out tonight that there will be a new Indian delivery service working from the fisherman's Rest as from Monday called The Tandoori Garden.

They have just built an authentic (ish) oven and there's a real Indian chef.

I had a taster tonight and I give it the thumbs up. The food tastes a lot better than the frozen then microwaved stuff that's available every where else :o

The new menu is very well priced, with more than enough dishes.

The owner ,Toby, is having a sheet load of menus delivered to houses in the area, so you should be able to check the prices yourself very soon.

As a bit of a bonus to this advert I'm posting (yes the owner is a friend of mine) there will be an opening party on Monday evening with a free Indian buffet and a live band :D so welcome all you balloon chasers :D

The opening party has now been moved forward to Sunday (tomorrow) because the Terrorist Bar already has a party on Monday, see ya there :D

Is the opening party Sunday or Saturday ? It would be great if we had an Indian on the Dark side that was reasonably authentic. Can you give more details as to the location as I don't know this particular restaurant and what time the buffet is on ?

I just found out tonight that there will be a new Indian delivery service working from the fisherman's Rest as from Monday called The Tandoori Garden.

They have just built an authentic (ish) oven and there's a real Indian chef.

I had a taster tonight and I give it the thumbs up. The food tastes a lot better than the frozen then microwaved stuff that's available every where else :D

The new menu is very well priced, with more than enough dishes.

The owner ,Toby, is having a sheet load of menus delivered to houses in the area, so you should be able to check the prices yourself very soon.

As a bit of a bonus to this advert I'm posting (yes the owner is a friend of mine) there will be an opening party on Monday evening with a free Indian buffet and a live band :D so welcome all you balloon chasers :D

The opening party has now been moved forward to Sunday (tomorrow) because the Terrorist Bar already has a party on Monday, see ya there :D

Is the opening party Sunday or Saturday ? It would be great if we had an Indian on the Dark side that was reasonably authentic. Can you give more details as to the location as I don't know this particular restaurant and what time the buffet is on ?

Oops, party is Sunday as I said which is today, which wasn't yesterday:( musta been a bit trollied :o

Anyway the band start at 6pm and the free buffet will follow shortly after.

The fisherman's Rest, AKA The Tandoori Garden, is almost next to Elvis' mosque :D , about a kilometer before Khun Johns coming round the lake from Soi Siam Country Club, see you there :D

I have been to the new Kiss a few times, they are OK for thai food but give the falang food a wide berth. First time ordered a chicken steak and ended up with a pork steak, the second time I ordered the half roast chicken and when it arrived it was stone cold in the middle and the waitress came and saw that I had wasted most of the chicken she stuck her finger on the chicken and asked my girlfriend if it was cold and she told my girlfriend that it has happened a few times with that particular item...<deleted> and now iv'e been introduced to Rung Thip I don't think Kiss will be seeing me again.

IMHO Kiss Food is just the last resort to avoid starving - this applies to all their branches.

Other recommendations on Soi SCC is the French Cafe de Paris just past the train line on the left hand side. Good place for a coffee and the bread is great.

Further up the road is a new place run by a Finnish guy, just next to the Minimart that is a good source for booze during the off-hours (wink-wink). They serve nice salads and sandwiches. Also worth mentioning is the noodle soup just in front of besaid minimart. The guy opens shop at about 5 pm until 9-ish. Possibly the best noodle soup in town!

Sure Park is a "sure thing", IMO. At least, it is for steak. I took my wife there last night. I ordered the large size filet mignon, and it was truly excellent! A great piece of tender steak, about an inch and a half thick about 3.4-4 inches in diameter. I ordered it medium, and it was very slightly over cooked, but not enough to be dry. (I like it pink inside.) It comes with a very nice mushroom sauce, but a pepper sauce is available, if you prefer. It's served with a nice small salad, with a choice of thousand island, roquefort, oil & vinegar dressing; garlic bread; a small ear of corn (with a stick through it for easy handling); mixed veggies; and choice of fried, mashed, baked, or sauteed potatoes (my choice, and very good!). All that for Bt 310, which is, by comparison, about Bt 100 cheaper than at Swiss Paradise. The steak was bigger, and better than any I've had at other restaurant over here on the Dark Side, including the afore-mentioned Swiss Paradise. :D

My wife was not as happy with the Thai food she ordered - Tom Yum Koong, and Yum Talay. However, I have to add here that she is a SERIOUS health food nut (carried over from the 34 years that we lived in the USA). She refuses to eat any fried food cooked in palm oil, which, as you may know, is used in almost every Thai restaurant. She prefers steamed veggies and fish. She avoids cholesterol, so won't eat foods with cream or coconut milk (Sure Park makes a "creamy" variety of Tom Yum Koong). She's also about 95% vegetarian. Add all that together, and there are VERY few restaurants that can please her. (Rung Thip uses safflower oil, but has a very limited choice of veggies. My wife sometimes brings veggies with her, and they cook them for her there.) ... Yeah, she's not much fun for eating out. :o

I also had a large Heineken with my meal. The total bill was Bt 610. That's well within my budget for a meal of that quality. :D

The setting there is really comfortable. Very attractive seating. Big pond, with fountain shooting water about 5 meters into the air, and a couple of other fountains on the sides. Makes for a nice ambiance. The band (starts at 7 PM) is, shall we say, unobtrusive. They're a group of 3 Thais who, while we were there, played a lot of great old American songs. The instruments were OK. The singing was ... tolerable, with the usual butchery of some of the words and lyrics. But, again, it was music fit for dinner, as opposed to noisy rock! They also have an air-conditioned room, should you choose that environment for seating, and a very nice bar area (sans "girls") if you just want to sit and enjoy some drinks. The parking area is off the road, gravel covered, and would be inadequate if the place was filled. It would probably hold 8-10 cars. They place bug repellent burners under the table. We weren't bothered by a single bug while we were there last night. :D

The biggest surprise about Sure Park is that it's located in a totally residential area. There are no other businesses near it, so you really don't expect the quality of both venue and food that you get there. I'll definitely go back. I want to try some other meals, now that I know the steak is that good. I may try it for lunch someday, alone. I'll also try the Thai food some time, to get a less "picky" opinion on it. :D But we'll both go back for dinner again. My wife is tolerant enough of my love for good food outside now and then (she's a great cook!) to deal with the limited menus available for her almost everywhere. Based upon this one experience, I'd highly recommend this place, especially for steak lovers. :D

Fisherman's restaurant... Cant imagine anyone could call that good food.

There are a lot of nice places to eat on this side of Sukhumvit but Fishermans is not one of them.

I think pretty much the most of them are mentioned before.

Hang on a minute, let's be fair here.

If you read what Kurgen said you would know that this is a completely new deal - hence the opening party today.

Apparently they have hire a genuine Indian cook who used to run a restaurant in Pattaya, and they are now offering a full al la carte Indian menu, and they have even invested in a tandoori oven etc.

It may be good it may be bad, but let's not condemn it before we've tried it.

I hold no brief for the Fisherman's and indeed I have boycotted it for months due to the previous manager's rude attitude, but I am willing to give it another chance.

It's not good to bear resentment forever. :o

There are a lot of nice places to eat on this side of Sukhumvit but Fishermans is not one of them.

If you read what Kurgen said you would know that this is a completely new deal - hence the opening party today.

Apparently they have hire a genuine Indian cook who used to run a restaurant in Pattaya, and they are now offering a full al la carte Indian menu, and they have even invested in a tandoori oven etc.

I hold no brief for the Fisherman's and indeed I have boycotted it for months due to the previous manager's rude attitude, but I am willing to give it another chance.

I have never frequented this establishment before so am unable to pass judgment on the food or the previous manager but I'm holding my breath that this might finally be the quality Indian food is missing here in Pattaya though I would not be surprised if it isn't after so many let downs with the Indian restaurants already in the area but hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Any TV members going to make it to the opening night tonight ?

I have never frequented this establishment before so am unable to pass judgment on the food or the previous manager but I'm holding my breath that this might finally be the quality Indian food is missing here in Pattaya though I would not be surprised if it isn't after so many let downs with the Indian restaurants already in the area but hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

Any TV members going to make it to the opening night tonight ?

I'll be there early and not staying that long, as I have another commitment later. Will wear a TV T-shirt and hand out autographs.

Suprised no one has mentioned Annes Garden on soi Khao Noi, German owned (i think) and does great food at very reasonable prices.

It's Bavarian owned...close by... :o

Yep, the food there is great and they also make specialties on request and pre-booking.

Directions to Annes Garden from the lake please.................Ta

Head back towards sukumvit road, take soi 16 which is on your left, follow that soi to the end (about 500m) cross straight over Nern plub Waan, follow that road to the end, turn right, follow that road to the end, turn right, again follow this road to the end and it will take you to Khao Noi and Annes garden is right there on your right, all these roads you are following 'to the end' are only short roads.

Patsfangr - glad you enjoyed Sure Park. The location for this place is really strange...I just stumbled on the place by accident about a year or so ago when they were doing the road work on Nernplubwan and traffic was diverted up soi 24. Otherwise, who would think a steakhouse would be located up some little side soi in the middle of nowhere. I am sure there are other hidden gems here and there that await our discovery.

As someone mentioned, there have not been many mentions of good restaurants in the soi Kao Talo and Kao Noi areas. Are we to presume that there aren't many good ones in that area? My explanation is that those streets are maybe less developed than Nernplubwan and maybe appeal more to a drinking customer rather than more couples/family oriented diners. On the occasions I have to drive these sois, I see many little beer-bar type establishments but not many large comfortable restaurants.

In the way of a pre-announcement, I had been informed by a neighbor that a swank new English pub and restaurant is to open right out here in East Pattaya. He said the owner was sparing no expense to make it a really nice place. I had occasion to drive past it today and it does look really nice and big (and in the style of a large English country pub). I believe the name was the Courtyard. It looks about done but didn't appear to be open just yet. To get there, go to the T-junction at the end of Nernpluwan (at the temple) and turn left. Then drive a few hundred metres and it is on the left, before you hit SSCC (it is large and you cannot miss it). Of course, from SSCC, at that large intersection about 5 clicks down from Sukhumvit, take a right and it's just a little ways down on your right. This place looked as nice as any English pub in Pattaya center and if truth be told...a little out of place :o

Yes, John, I had also seen Sure Park during the NPW road work. But, with my eyes on the road, I didn't see inside. The sign caught my eye, but I never bothered to go back, because, as you said, who'd expect a good place in that location? Glad I followed up on the tip here.

As for Kao Talo, it seem to be going further "down hill" every day. It's loaded with beer bars and massage places. The middle of it, halfway between Suk and the end, seems to be the worst. It's beginning to look like 2nd Road. I've never driven on Kao Noi, but I may check it out soon, as an alternate route to Suk from my house. I HATE driving on Nernplubwarn/Motorbike hel_l! Depending upon which part of Suk I'm going to, I always either take Platanakarn Rd to Kao Talo; or go along Nongprue Rd to Soi Siam CC, and up. But both of those are now getting heavier traffic too. That's why I may try the Kao Noi route.

Speaking of my Nongprue Rd route, that's where the new "Courtyard" is located. I drive by it every day or two, on the way to Siam CC Rd. As you said, the place looks nice from the outside, but, the last time I saw the doors open, it was stiil empty inside. I'm concerned about the parking there. If it's good, and gets crowded, it's going to be a problem both for the customers, AND for the traffic on Nongprue Road. It really does look like it's going to be way over the general "class" of the area. We'll see.

Just back from the Fisherman's Rest aka Tandoori Garden (with a few overstops on the way home... :o )

If you keep up the food quality you'll see me back again once in a while for sure! :D

Why am i not being fair... There Western food just isn't good. I'm not talking about there Indian menu.

And many People think the same about it as i do.

I live on the dark side and thought a best eateries and pub's / bars for the dark side would be good as there seems very little information available for what is over here.

Usually when I want a beer or some food I cross over Sukhumvit and theres only 2 places I've really been to over here, the new Kiss eatery on Soi Siam CC has OK food 24 Hours a day and occasionally I have had a beer in Lucky Time bar on Soi Nernplubwaan, the bar is OK but I would suggest that you avoid the food, not good.

Has anybody tried the pub on Soi Khao Noi called the Red Lion, I was given a recommendation but every time I drive past it seems empty ?

Anyway c'mon you dark siders let's get some quality info on the dark side.

used the MONIKA PISS restaurant near the mabchan lake strange something to do with a famous Belgian statue great prices and the best steak ive eaten in patts

Last night went to the opening night of Tandoori Garden at the Fishermans restaurant where there was a buffet of Indian food layed out and have to say first impressions are promising. The food was very tasty and nicely spiced not overly spiced which can be the issue at many Indian restaurants in Pattaya. This could finally be the much needed quality Indian here in Pattaya and I will definately be eating their food again.

The menu says the do free delivery but there is no mention of how far from the restaurant they will deliver and it is a bit out of the way. If the owner is a member of TV can you please post your delivery area ?

Good luck with this new venture I'm looking forward to finally having good quality Indian food here in Pattaya.

Also been at the Fisherman yesterday evening (saw at least 5 active Thaivisa members there, and judging from the above post there were some more I don't have the honour of knowing them!) and indeed can vouch for the quality of the Indian food they served!

I'm not a connaiseur, but it certainly went down well and judging the amount of people I saw going for a refill, I was not alone enjoying the food!

Took a look at the prices as well which looked pretty fair!

Definitely worth follow up visits, lets hope they can hang on to that tiny little Indian chef they have :o

I live on the dark side and thought a best eateries and pub's / bars for the dark side would be good as there seems very little information available for what is over here.

Usually when I want a beer or some food I cross over Sukhumvit and theres only 2 places I've really been to over here, the new Kiss eatery on Soi Siam CC has OK food 24 Hours a day and occasionally I have had a beer in Lucky Time bar on Soi Nernplubwaan, the bar is OK but I would suggest that you avoid the food, not good.

Has anybody tried the pub on Soi Khao Noi called the Red Lion, I was given a recommendation but every time I drive past it seems empty ?

Anyway c'mon you dark siders let's get some quality info on the dark side.

used the MONIKA PISS restaurant near the mabchan lake strange something to do with a famous Belgian statue great prices and the best steak ive eaten in patts

"Manneken pis" is the correct name, literally translated "the pissing man" indeed a famous Belgian statue, located in the Belgian capital Brussels...

Also been at the Fisherman yesterday evening (saw at least 5 active Thaivisa members there, and judging from the above post there were some more I don't have the honour of knowing them!) and indeed can vouch for the quality of the Indian food they served!

I'm not a connaiseur, but it certainly went down well and judging the amount of people I saw going for a refill, I was not alone enjoying the food!

Took a look at the prices as well which looked pretty fair!

Definitely worth follow up visits, lets hope they can hang on to that tiny little Indian chef they have :o

I think I spotted eight TVers....more than on most Friday night-outs!

Last night went to the opening night of Tandoori Garden at the Fishermans restaurant where there was a buffet of Indian food layed out and have to say first impressions are promising. The food was very tasty and nicely spiced not overly spiced which can be the issue at many Indian restaurants in Pattaya. This could finally be the much needed quality Indian here in Pattaya and I will definately be eating their food again.

The menu says the do free delivery but there is no mention of how far from the restaurant they will deliver and it is a bit out of the way. If the owner is a member of TV can you please post your delivery area ?

Good luck with this new venture I'm looking forward to finally having good quality Indian food here in Pattaya.

I think I enjoyed myself last night. I'm going to spend the next few hours reassembling my brain then I'll find out where the delivery area is for you.

I thought the food was great :o