The Dark Side

paul1970

I think I enjoyed myself last night. I'm going to spend the next few hours reassembling my brain then I'll find out where the delivery area is for you.

Pretty sure you enjoyed yourself, if the wallowing around the place was anything to go by :o

I think I enjoyed myself last night. I'm going to spend the next few hours reassembling my brain then I'll find out where the delivery area is for you.

Pretty sure you enjoyed yourself, if the wallowing around the place was anything to go by :o

So your awake then Sir.

I'll be round to see you soon, with my pet American, to give you some IT tuition :D

Yes, John, I had also seen Sure Park during the NPW road work. But, with my eyes on the road, I didn't see inside. The sign caught my eye, but I never bothered to go back, because, as you said, who'd expect a good place in that location? Glad I followed up on the tip here.

As for Kao Talo, it seem to be going further "down hill" every day. It's loaded with beer bars and massage places. The middle of it, halfway between Suk and the end, seems to be the worst. It's beginning to look like 2nd Road. I've never driven on Kao Noi, but I may check it out soon, as an alternate route to Suk from my house. I HATE driving on Nernplubwarn/Motorbike hel_l! Depending upon which part of Suk I'm going to, I always either take Platanakarn Rd to Kao Talo; or go along Nongprue Rd to Soi Siam CC, and up. But both of those are now getting heavier traffic too. That's why I may try the Kao Noi route.

Speaking of my Nongprue Rd route, that's where the new "Courtyard" is located. I drive by it every day or two, on the way to Siam CC Rd. As you said, the place looks nice from the outside, but, the last time I saw the doors open, it was stiil empty inside. I'm concerned about the parking there. If it's good, and gets crowded, it's going to be a problem both for the customers, AND for the traffic on Nongprue Road. It really does look like it's going to be way over the general "class" of the area. We'll see.

I seem to remember a number of places on Soi Khao Talo, there was/is a quite a large pub on the right on the way down towards Suk called I think the New Inn which looks OK from the outside but have never tried it, I think theres another place on the left further down called the Village Pub which I think has indoor and outdoor areas but again never tried. Theres also a "fish and chip shop" but I can't vouch for it's authenticity. I think this soi may be on the up rather than down as there seems to be quita a few developments going on and according to Google Earth is going to be the location of Carrefour #2 which if that is the case will probably push up house prices and rental prices in the area.

As for Soi Khao Noi I have never seen anything on that Soi that vaguely looks interesting on the dining front apart from the aformentioned Red Lion which seems a non-starter from previous posts. Though there was mention I beleive of a German owned place I think called Ann's Garden but I haven't seen that one so can't pass comment.

I have past the Courtyard a few times and have no idea when/if it will officialy open but looks like it might be interesting though really doesn't seem to fit into the character of the area it's in.

Fisherman's restaurant... Cant imagine anyone could call that good food.

There are a lot of nice places to eat on this side of Sukhumvit but Fishermans is not one of them.

I think pretty much the most of them are mentioned before.

Hang on a minute, let's be fair here.

If you read what Kurgen said you would know that this is a completely new deal - hence the opening party today.

Apparently they have hire a genuine Indian cook who used to run a restaurant in Pattaya, and they are now offering a full al la carte Indian menu, and they have even invested in a tandoori oven etc.

It may be good it may be bad, but let's not condemn it before we've tried it.

I hold no brief for the Fisherman's and indeed I have boycotted it for months due to the previous manager's rude attitude, but I am willing to give it another chance.

It's not good to bear resentment forever. :o

Why am i not being fair... There Western food just isn't good. I'm not talking about there Indian menu.

And many People think the same about it as i do.

There is at least 4 or 5 previous posts mentioning the new Indian menu at Fisherman Rest and then you come on and say "There are a lot of nice places to eat on this side of Sukhumvit but Fishermans is not one of them."

Where in that post do you mention that you were talking about the old European menu, (which as far as I am aware is now defunct.)?

Most disingenuous. given that we were discussing the new, as yet untried, Indian Cuisine.

I reiterate that I hold no brief for Fishermans or any other 'Darkside' establishment, but it is clearly not easy for them to make a buck or two, so lets give them a fair crack of the whip.

If the food is bad - then by all means say so, but lets wait and see.

We will all be the sufferers if they have to close down due to lack of business occasioned by ill considered criticism.

There is a new Thai restaurant opening between the Fishy's Rest and Khun Johns. It's not quite finished yet but the new owners have spent a few bob on the place so, fingers crossed, maybe there will be another decent eatery on Lake Kurgen :o

according to Google Earth is going to be the location of Carrefour #2 ...

I assume it will be at that huge tract of cleared land on Sukkie there where the Thai market used to be. That will be nice but not likely to be finished for a couple years as not even started building yet. Will bring to the Dark Side some of the chain type restaurants for those who like them...Fuji Japanese, Swensons, Subway, and stuff like that. However, for many, it would probably be a toss-up in terms of convience between going to Central or making their way down narrow soi Kao Talo to this new Carrefore.

Not really a resto, but we do already have the Lotus Express outlet behind Num Chai electronics between SSCC and Nernplubwan. From the looks of thinks, looks like they are also getting ready to build a bunch of smaller buildings surrounding it so as to make kinda like a strip-mall type thing. Likely to be a few new restos there too soon.

Not sure what the name of it is but my fave Thai place for night time around the lake is about 1/2 a k past the Manneke Piss towards town, the 1st one as you come round the bend.

I call it the fish in the dish because they do a great fish in a dish.

I've heard that their western food is good as well but I'm stuck on fishies in dishies :D

For brekkie, Rung Thip do the best Tom Yum in the galaxy :o

Directions to Annes Garden from the lake please.................Ta

Head back towards sukumvit road, take soi 16 which is on your left, follow that soi to the end (about 500m) cross straight over Nern plub Waan, follow that road to the end, turn right, follow that road to the end, turn right, again follow this road to the end and it will take you to Khao Noi and Annes garden is right there on your right, all these roads you are following 'to the end' are only short roads.

Cheers. Will try when next in country.

Out towards the lake on SSCC, there is a place called I believe Scott's restaurant...anyone tried it? It's just before Peacock Resort (which by the way is nothing special in my mind). Also right by Scott's there is also another restaurant I think. Anyone been to either of these and can report?

Also, coming back towards town a couple kilos up from Scotts on the left there is a coffee shop with free internet. Forgot the name...is it any good someone?

Another one who attended the Fisherman's opening night.

Was assured they will deliver as far as Manneke Pis, so Raro is covered, if not Paul1970 Soi Nuen Pabwan may be a little out of the way unless you offer a tip for the delivery driver rider. If they can keep the Indian crew, there is definitely more than one there, and they keep up the quality it will do well.

My previous impression of the Fisherman's food was the output of a microwave, so having fresh cooked food was very pleasant.

used the MONIKA PISS restaurant near the mabchan lake strange something to do with a famous Belgian statue great prices and the best steak ive eaten in patts

I'd like to hear from somebody who's had a steak (particularly a filet mignon) at BOTH Manneken Pis and and Sure Park, and get a comparative opinion. As noted earlier, I had one at Sure Park on Sunday night, and it was OUTSTANDING.

I went back to try breakfast there this morning (nothing special), and talked with the owner, "Sonny", for a few minutes. Turns out that we have something in common. He worked for McDonnell Douglas as their Executive Chef in Saudi Arabia. I retired after 20 years with McDonnell Douglas/Boeing in Long Beach, CA. Sonny said that his beef is from a university (I forget the name) in Thailand. Their herd is a cross between American and European stock, and is very high quality meat. (I definitely agree!) He said they also have cod fish imported from Norway, as well as salmon, and the usual fresh, local Thai fish (sea bass, etc.). My next trip will be a test of the seafood, which is my favorite type of food. :o

One thing I'd like to do is convince him to change the oil they use for frying. Currently, they use palm oil for their deep frying. For those who care, that's the most dangerous to your health of any oil. Safflower, or corn would be much more healthy. Help me work on that, will you, please? :D:D

So, anybody got that comparison of steaks at Manneken Pis and Sure Park for me? :D

he said they also have cod fish imported from Norway

I'd like to do is convince him to change the oil they use for frying. Currently, they use palm oil for their deep frying. For those who care, that's the most dangerous to your health of any oil. Safflower, or corn would be much more healthy.

You mean to tell me they do a real fish & chips with Norwegian cod??? That would be awesome if it was good...haven't found a really good one in Patters yet. Some of the English pubs do an okay version but most are truly vile (basically horrible local chewy white fish of some sort is used).

I am all for healthy eating to a point...but when it starts to effect taste to much I draw the line. I mean, what's the point in eating at all if there is no sensory enjoyment to it...we could just drink water and take vitamins if nutrition was all one wanted out of a meal. Would a change in cooking oils effect the taste of the food?

My philosophy is that in the long run we're all dead anyway so I just want to enjoy it while I'm here and part of that enjoyment is eating good tasting food :o

You mean to tell me they do a real fish & chips with Norwegian cod??? That would be awesome if it was good...haven't found a really good one in Patters yet. Some of the English pubs do an okay version but most are truly vile (basically horrible local chewy white fish of some sort is used).

I am all for healthy eating to a point...but when it starts to effect taste to much I draw the line. I mean, what's the point in eating at all if there is no sensory enjoyment to it...we could just drink water and take vitamins if nutrition was all one wanted out of a meal. Would a change in cooking oils effect the taste of the food?

My philosophy is that in the long run we're all dead anyway so I just want to enjoy it while I'm here and part of that enjoyment is eating good tasting food :o

Actually, John, I didn't ask him if they served that cod with fish & chips. But, if they have it, I can't imagine that they wouldn't do so. I agree with you on the F&C elsewhere here. I'm originally from Boston, and the F&C there was outstanding, with fresh Atlantic cod always the fish used.

As for healthy eating, I'm pretty much with you. But, let me assure you that, with the proper use of various spices, food can taste GREAT without "dangerous" ingredients. As I said before, my wife is a great cook. Her food, always prepared with healthy ingredients, has all the flavor you could ever want. When she uses oil, she uses very little of it, and it's one of the less dangerous ones. I can tell you that Rung Thip does use Safflower, as opposed to Palm oil; and you know that the food there is very good, right?

I'll always go for taste over health. But, if I can get the taste, AND be healthy, why not? 65 is days away for me, and I'd kinda like to keep it going for a while. :D By the way, the cost difference between a 5-gal can of palm oil, and a 5-gal can of safflower or corn oil, is just a few baht. A restaurant would never notice the difference. hel_l, I may even buy a can for Sonny, and ask him to try it for a while, and see if his customers complain. I'll be amazed if they do.

Since I am marooned in the middle of a desert at present, can somebody ask the owner of Rung Thep when they opened?

I was there a couple of days after they opened and I think it was December 2004. Can somebody verify it for me. I'm just curious.

One other comment about Rung Thep. One reason you don't see a lot of customers is they serve quite a bit of take-away. I live two minutes from there and, when in town, get take-away quite often. I have seen quite a few do this as well.

Since I am marooned in the middle of a desert at present, can somebody ask the owner of Rung Thep when they opened?

I was there a couple of days after they opened and I think it was December 2004. Can somebody verify it for me. I'm just curious.

One other comment about Rung Thep. One reason you don't see a lot of customers is they serve quite a bit of take-away. I live two minutes from there and, when in town, get take-away quite often. I have seen quite a few do this as well.

I'll check within the next couple of days, Chuck. ... Confession time. I was there last night to pick up some take-away for my wife,and I forgot to ask! Sorry!

There is supposed to be a new fish and chip shop just opened on soi Khao Talo somewhere near the New Inn pub, yet to hunt it down yet though.

Anyway i'm off to the Dao cafe for lunch as the chicken breast they do in mushroom sauce takes some beating, pay an extra 20 baht and exchange your french fries for fried potatoes and you have a sure winner!!!

Actually, John, I didn't ask him if they served that cod with fish & chips. But, if they have it, I can't imagine that they wouldn't do so. I agree with you on the F&C elsewhere here. I'm originally from Boston, and the F&C there was outstanding, with fresh Atlantic cod always the fish used.

As for healthy eating, I'm pretty much with you. But, let me assure you that, with the proper use of various spices, food can taste GREAT without "dangerous" ingredients. As I said before, my wife is a great cook. Her food, always prepared with healthy ingredients, has all the flavor you could ever want. When she uses oil, she uses very little of it, and it's one of the less dangerous ones. I can tell you that Rung Thip does use Safflower, as opposed to Palm oil; and you know that the food there is very good, right?

I'll always go for taste over health. But, if I can get the taste, AND be healthy, why not? 65 is days away for me, and I'd kinda like to keep it going for a while. :D By the way, the cost difference between a 5-gal can of palm oil, and a 5-gal can of safflower or corn oil, is just a few baht. A restaurant would never notice the difference. hel_l, I may even buy a can for Sonny, and ask him to try it for a while, and see if his customers complain. I'll be amazed if they do.

I don't know why I didn't check for this before, John, but Sure Park has a website. The menu there clearly lists that they DO have Fish & Chips, using Norwegian cod! Here's the URL for all to check out the place, and the menu.

http://www.sureparkpattaya.com/menu1.html

If you go there for the first time, ask for Sonny, and tell him that you found the place because of our forum.

I don't know why I didn't check for this before, John, but Sure Park has a website. The menu there clearly lists that they DO have Fish & Chips, using Norwegian cod!

Amazing...this place has a website too :o

As for their Thai...I am quite partial to the way they prepare their fried chicken and cashew nuts! The way Rung Thip prepares this dish is not typical of most Thai restaurants (but is good nontheless).

Lots of Brits work in Saudi so hopefully he learned how to do F&Cs the right way...at least he knows to use real cod!

A little pricey at B 270 [i have gotten spoiled living on the Dark Side) but it's imported and includes all the sides too...hope to give it a try this week and will report back.

Edited by jonniebkk

That would be great if they do a proper fish and chips, there are many places in Pattaya that think they do but usually the fish is not real cod, the best fish I think I've had is the fish and chips at tropical berts, a bit small but I will always go for quality over quantity and the beer batter was excellent really crispy, but it gets let down by the use of frozen chips, why or why is it so difficult for these resaurants to hand cut proper real homemade chips it makes a whole world of difference. Caddyshack does the real chips which goes nice with their pies etc but the fish there is nothing to write home about.

Looks like we ar really being spoiled for choice with some excellent restaurants in a fairly small area here and I'm really looking forward to trying Sure Park now as the steak choices in Pattaya is a let down unless you fancy paying Manhattan prices which even though alright once in a while I wouldn't want to do on a nightly basis.

As for oil at home I only use Canola oil, which is supposed to be the best of all the oils, for deep frying and olive for shallow frying.

Anybody up for a small meet to test the Fish & Chips at Sure Park?

If somebody wants to join me, I'd be happy to call Sonny, and make sure he's got the cod ready to go for whatever number of us plan to show up. I'd also think it best to ask him to reserve the air-con room for us to avoid dealing with the inevitable flies in the afternoon.

How about it? Will Wednesday at 1:00 work for any of you? I'd like to meet some of my fellow "Dark Siders", and see if we can form some "real life" friendships here.

Lots of Brits work in Saudi so hopefully he learned how to do F&Cs the right way...at least he knows to use real cod!

And prefer hake to cod!

And I'm out of here (Saudi) in a day or two.

Vietnam and dog & chips for me.

Chips with pies at Caddyshack? Mash soaks up the gravy - chips go soggy. But I agree that the fish 'n chips is not top rate. Haven't found one in Pattaya that is.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: hake

Silver hake (Merluccius bilinearis)

(click to enlarge)

Silver hake (Merluccius bilinearis) (credit: Painting by Jean Helmer)

Any of several large marine fishes (genus Merluccius) usually considered part of the cod family. Hakes are elongated, large-headed fishes with large, sharp teeth, two dorsal fins (one notched), and a notched anal fin. They are swift carnivores and, though somewhat soft-fleshed, are used as food. Hakes are found throughout the Atlantic, in the eastern Pacific, and along New Zealand. In eastern North America, the name is also applied to several related marine fishes (genus Urophycis), including the economically important white hake and red hake.

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: hake

Any of several large marine fishes (genus Merluccius) usually considered part of the cod family.

So they are basically cods...seem to have been dissed somewhat being called soft-fleshed and sometimes used as food fish :o