The Dark Side

paul1970

Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: hake

Any of several large marine fishes (genus Merluccius) usually considered part of the cod family.

So they are basically cods...seem to have been dissed somewhat being called soft-fleshed and sometimes used as food fish :o

But very good fish. As the description said, they're plentifull in eastern North America, my home territory (Boston)!

And in the average British chippy they are cooked to order, whereas the cod is deep-fried by the dozen and left on the side of the fryer on a hot plate.

So ask for hake and it is completely fresh - ask for cod and it may have been 'resting' for half-an-hour.

Ask for battered giant sausage, or white pudding, or any of a dozen other luverly dishes. Especially when it's chucking-out time at the local mission house.

Maybe we should check with Sonny and see if he can get in any hake too :D

I'm from the Left Coast of the USA and at one time (long since gone) we had a chain of F&C joints called F. Salt Esquire. I don't know how it would compare to a real English chippy but I always liked it. 2 or 3 slabs of batter coated deep-fried fish over a bed of fries...add a good pinch of salt and a nice dousing of malt vinegar...um um good :o

Edited by jonniebkk

Maybe we should check with Sonny and see if he can get in any hake too :D

I'm from the Left Coast of the USA and at one time (long since gone) we had a chain of F&C joints called F. Salt Esquire. I don't know how it would compare to a real English chippy but I always liked it. 2 or 3 slabs of batter coated deep-fried fish over a bed of fries...add a good pinch of salt and a nice dousing of malt vinegar...um um good :o

Although I'm originally from Boston, I lived in So Cal for most of the years from 1972 - 2006. That chain was H Salt, not F Salt. While it never could challenge the fresh cod in Boston, it was pretty good. But, several years ago, they changed to some kind of "pressed fish parts", from the frozen cod they used to use. It really sucked! They were actually still in business when I left in 2006, but they got no business from me!

I think I enjoyed myself last night. I'm going to spend the next few hours reassembling my brain then I'll find out where the delivery area is for you.

Pretty sure you enjoyed yourself, if the wallowing around the place was anything to go by :o

So your awake then Sir.

I'll be round to see you soon, with my pet American, to give you some IT tuition :D

why don't you guys get a room...maybe at employee discount.... :D

That chain was H Salt, not F Salt. While it never could challenge the fresh cod in Boston, it was pretty good...They were actually still in business when I left in 2006...

You have a real head for remembering restaurant names...I must only remember the food :o I'm from SF Bay Area and all the branches there seemed to have closed-up years ago (like maybe 15-20). All this talk of F&C may cause me to run down to...what' the name of that place again...right now for an order :D

That chain was H Salt, not F Salt. While it never could challenge the fresh cod in Boston, it was pretty good...They were actually still in business when I left in 2006...

You have a real head for remembering restaurant names...I must only remember the food :o I'm from SF Bay Area and all the branches there seemed to have closed-up years ago (like maybe 15-20). All this talk of F&C may cause me to run down to...what' the name of that place again...right now for an order :D

Well hang on until Thursday. I'm definitely going to drop in there for lunch at about noon, and give that Norwegian cod a try!

Well hang on until Thursday. I'm definitely going to drop in there for lunch at about noon, and give that Norwegian cod a try!

It really is a small world, I'm originally from Wales but spent 2.5 years in San Jose California from 2002 to 2005 and I too ate at H.Salt Esq fish and chips in San Jose but I ahve to admit to it being a very poor 2nd to the original fish and chip shops back home but that I find is the downside of all these franchised business's with their mass produced stuff. But like I said a small world.

I don't know what I will be doing on Thursday yet but If I'm in town I'd be up to trying the fish and chips for sure.

Last night went to the opening night of Tandoori Garden at the Fishermans restaurant where there was a buffet of Indian food layed out and have to say first impressions are promising. The food was very tasty and nicely spiced not overly spiced which can be the issue at many Indian restaurants in Pattaya. This could finally be the much needed quality Indian here in Pattaya and I will definately be eating their food again.

The menu says the do free delivery but there is no mention of how far from the restaurant they will deliver and it is a bit out of the way. If the owner is a member of TV can you please post your delivery area ?

Good luck with this new venture I'm looking forward to finally having good quality Indian food here in Pattaya.

I think I enjoyed myself last night. I'm going to spend the next few hours reassembling my brain then I'll find out where the delivery area is for you.

I thought the food was great :o

I have to agree the food was probably the best Indian food I have tasted in the pattaya area, hopefully they will deliver as far as Soi Nernplubwaan but It's a fair ol distance from the restaurant but I'm sure they should include this soi as I'm sure there are a fair old amount of potential customers in this soi.

Last night went to the opening night of Tandoori Garden at the Fishermans restaurant where there was a buffet of Indian food layed out and have to say first impressions are promising. The food was very tasty and nicely spiced not overly spiced which can be the issue at many Indian restaurants in Pattaya. This could finally be the much needed quality Indian here in Pattaya and I will definately be eating their food again.

The menu says the do free delivery but there is no mention of how far from the restaurant they will deliver and it is a bit out of the way. If the owner is a member of TV can you please post your delivery area ?

Good luck with this new venture I'm looking forward to finally having good quality Indian food here in Pattaya.

I have to agree the food was probably the best Indian food I have tasted in the pattaya area, hopefully they will deliver as far as Soi Nernplubwaan but It's a fair ol distance from the restaurant but I'm sure they should include this soi as I'm sure there are a fair old amount of potential customers in this soi.

I spoke to the owner last night, he reckons he will deliver as far as Jomtien.

I know the food is well packed but I think that's a bit too far for food to travel but we shall see.

It looks like the take away is going to be a winner, the poor Indian was running round like a loony last night with orders coming out of his ears.

I spoke to the owner last night, he reckons he will deliver as far as Jomtien.

I know the food is well packed but I think that's a bit too far for food to travel but we shall see.

It looks like the take away is going to be a winner, the poor Indian was running round like a loony last night with orders coming out of his ears.

I'm not suprised with all the posts on other threads trying to find a good quality Indian food, wait till word gets around the other side of Sukumvit, I hope he has enough delivery people, perhaps they should hook up with the door 2 door service next time they bring out a new menu to attract more custom from the beach side of Sukhumvit.

I see good things ahead for this place as long as they can keep the quality up and keep the chef.

but I have to admit to it being a very poor 2nd to the original fish and chip shops back home but that I find is the downside of all these franchised business's with their mass produced stuff. But like I said a small world.

AAgreed about the franchises - eaten at Harry Ramsden's in both HK and Jeddah. Nothing like the original.

The Bristol branch was better, but again not up to the original.

Probably all the pre-packaged, frozen ingredients, rather than wet floppy just-caught fish and just-peeled spuds.

I'm not suprised with all the posts on other threads trying to find a good quality Indian food, wait till word gets around the other side of Sukumvit, I hope he has enough delivery people, perhaps they should hook up with the door 2 door service next time they bring out a new menu to attract more custom from the beach side of Sukhumvit.

I see good things ahead for this place as long as they can keep the quality up and keep the chef.

Paul, in order to get lots of customers "from the beach side of Sukhumvit", they're going to have to have all of their entres priced below 50 baht, and can't expect tips for the delivery drivers! :o

but I have to admit to it being a very poor 2nd to the original fish and chip shops back home but that I find is the downside of all these franchised business's with their mass produced stuff. But like I said a small world.

AAgreed about the franchises - eaten at Harry Ramsden's in both HK and Jeddah. Nothing like the original.

Probably all the pre-packaged, frozen ingredients, rather than wet floppy just-caught fish and just-peeled spuds.

Ah yes Harry Ramsdens or what I like to call the McD's of the Fish and Chips industry, give me the local village chippy whose sole living is on the quality of his merchandise any day, though sadly a dying trade.

Seems that every time I return to the UK it gets more and more difficult to find a good chippy.

Paul, in order to get lots of customers "from the beach side of Sukhumvit", they're going to have to have all of their entres priced below 50 baht, and can't expect tips for the delivery drivers! :D

:o You must be talking about the 99 baht eat as much as you like buffet brigade who then whinge about the quality of the food, sad, sad people.

Paul, in order to get lots of customers "from the beach side of Sukhumvit", they're going to have to have all of their entres priced below 50 baht, and can't expect tips for the delivery drivers! :o

He was talking about Door-2-Door. Not the 50 baht trade.

Door-2-Door carry high-priced meals (not necessarily high quality, though :D )

Ah yes Harry Ramsdens or what I like to call the McD's of the Fish and Chips industry, give me the local village chippy whose sole living is on the quality of his merchandise any day, though sadly a dying trade.

Seems that every time I return to the UK it gets more and more difficult to find a good chippy.

Plenty around the Bristol area, when I was building the MoD place at Abbey Wood.

And go North to the original HR's. Really something different in a chippy.

But things may have changed in the last ten-to-fifteen years

It is indeed a small world! I was bought up in the same village as Harry Ramsdens original shop, at one time, 40 years ago they were ok, but too pricy for us locals, who went to the local chippies instead!

I look forward to trying the Indian at fishermans, certainly has to be an improvement on the sloops they were presenting as food, I remain scepticle however? Any body that knows the area where Harry Ramsdens started will know that this area has some of the best Indian food in the world! :o

Eaten Indian in many parts of the world and never found an equal!

Edited by CGW

It is indeed a small world! I was bought up in the same village as Harry Ramsdens original shop, at one time, 40 years ago they were ok, but too pricy for us locals, who went to the local chippies instead!

I look forward to trying the Indian at fishermans, certainly has to be an improvement on the sloops they were presenting as food, I remain scepticle however? Any body that knows the area where Harry Ramsdens started will know that this area has some of the best Indian food in the world! :o

Eaten Indian in many parts of the world and never found an equal!

Guisley?

My daughter went to Leeds Uni. and we used to go out to a lot of restaurants in the area.

Very good choice of eateries, good prices, but not affordable on a student grant, so it was a treat for her.

Yes HB Guiseley, I left there many years ago and don't know the area at all now, nearby Shipley and Bradford had? the best Indian food I have ever tasted, tried many places in SEA but more or less gave up finding good Indian years ago, one exception being some of the Indians on Racecourse Road in singapore.

Cheers

Great places, nice food.

Now, can someone here recommend a good map that has good details especially of streets east of Sukhumvit. I have about half a dozen ones bought from grocery stores and none of them gives good details on the soi's east of the railroad tracks. Most pattaya maps seem to concentrate only on the streets close to the beaches.

I live near the Croc Farm so your suggestions really entice me to go out there and look for these nice places, esp during weekends. All i need is a good map (paper or digital).

Thanks.

You are in luck!

Pattaya Big Area Road Map 1:20,000 does cover the dark side quite well. It is red and yellow, you find it in many stores and Bookazine.

Thinknet Chonburi-Rayong is also a great map, bilingual and with CD. Think Thinknet for maps for all of Thailand, they go down to showing the individual filling stations and similar details. Both the paper and CD version (zoomable) are great (but still not in Mac version as far as I know...)

Also look at the Pattaya International Ladies Club guide book and maps. OK, so far not detailed on the dark side, but I would bet that the latest edition will go deeper into the wilderness east of Sukhumvit, since this is a high growth area for expats. But for navigating in town it is unbeatable, with tons of very useful info. A bit like Nancy Chandlers maps of BKK, Jatujak and CM. Good stuff!

You are in luck!

Pattaya Big Area Road Map 1:20,000 does cover the dark side quite well. It is red and yellow, you find it in many stores and Bookazine.

Thinknet Chonburi-Rayong is also a great map, bilingual and with CD. Think Thinknet for maps for all of Thailand, they go down to showing the individual filling stations and similar details. Both the paper and CD version (zoomable) are great (but still not in Mac version as far as I know...)

Also look at the Pattaya International Ladies Club guide book and maps. OK, so far not detailed on the dark side, but I would bet that the latest edition will go deeper into the wilderness east of Sukhumvit, since this is a high growth area for expats. But for navigating in town it is unbeatable, with tons of very useful info. A bit like Nancy Chandlers maps of BKK, Jatujak and CM. Good stuff!

I use the "Pattaya Big Area Road Map" referred to above. Excellent detail of the soi's east of Sukhumvit. It helped me find a number of alternate routes to various places. The edition I have is at least a couple of years old, however (not dated), so it doesn't show the new, in process roads alongside the RR tracks. But, other than that, it's pretty accurate.

much thanks to the map recommendations. the digital map posted by monty was excellent, shows exactly where is the Swiss Paradise resto that everyone is talking about. didn't realize there are good places to eat in that area.

i finally saw rhung tip last night. wasn't able to drop by for a meal coz i was already stuffed from a dinner at carrefour.

will look for the pattaya big area map this weekend.

much thanks to the map recommendations. the digital map posted by monty was excellent, shows exactly where is the Swiss Paradise resto that everyone is talking about. didn't realize there are good places to eat in that area.

i finally saw rhung tip last night. wasn't able to drop by for a meal coz i was already stuffed from a dinner at carrefour.

will look for the pattaya big area map this weekend.

Palace, I used that online map when I first arrived here. (I actually posted it to that thread Monty provided.) While it does have some businesses listed that are not on the "Pattaya Big Area Map", the latter is much more detailed, and accurate, with regard to the streets on our side of Sukhumvit. So I do suggest that you pick one up. I think you'll agree.