What's It All About!

TBWG

Hi

I think I need to get out more! Whilst on one of my few trips out ...went AWOL without the boss ladies permission!!! :o

I happened to notice stuffed effigies tied to the gates outside several houses. These are like what we would call scarecrows or Guys in the UK seem to be stuffed with straw and dressed in an assortment of clothing.

When the boss lady was finally talking to me again she said it was a Cambodian custom to keep evil spirits away. Well its the first time in 8 years that I have seen this happen, and after discussing it with some buddies they also report sightings of this phenomenon...spooky huh! :D

Any ideas?

I am thinking of joining in the custom and have located a suitable basque and suspender belt for the project , just need a pair of fishnet tights now, any offers :D

TBWG :D

Hi

I think I need to get out more! Whilst on one of my few trips out ...went AWOL without the boss ladies permission!!! :o

I happened to notice stuffed effigies tied to the gates outside several houses. These are like what we would call scarecrows or Guys in the UK seem to be stuffed with straw and dressed in an assortment of clothing.

When the boss lady was finally talking to me again she said it was a Cambodian custom to keep evil spirits away. Well its the first time in 8 years that I have seen this happen, and after discussing it with some buddies they also report sightings of this phenomenon...spooky huh! :D

Any ideas?

I am thinking of joining in the custom and have located a suitable basque and suspender belt for the project , just need a pair of fishnet tights now, any offers :D

Be carefull mate or the boss lady'll have you strapped to the gate post.

Hi

Any ideas?

Good Point jandajoy! dressed in that getup who knows what unsavory characters I might attract :D

Hi

Any ideas?

When a village lady dies in her sleep her spirit wanders the village for 3 days looking for a suitable male companion to take to the afterlife. Therefore every household with a male inhabitant displays their "hoon" in the hopes that one "good looking" effigy will be chosen by the spirit to be taken.

My next door neighbour here in the village has one on the front gate. Because they were putting in a new piece of flower bed I assumed it was a scarecrow until I read this,T/W confirmed that it is a custom as other posters have stated, usually used where that household has male member who is aged or sick,as is the case with next doors little 2 year old son.

My next door neighbour here in the village has one on the front gate. Because they were putting in a new piece of flower bed I assumed it was a scarecrow until I read this,T/W confirmed that it is a custom as other posters have stated, usually used where that household has male member who is aged or sick,as is the case with next doors little 2 year old son.

Every single house has one in my village,i dont see anyone sick around,ive never seen it in the 5 yrs ive been here,and the reports are coming in that everywhere in issan is putting them up,i dont believe its to do with whats been posted,as of regards to death or illness or is everybody ill all around,i was wondering why we didnt have one,then i realized my family are bone idle,it would be too much like hard work for them.

Seems nearly every house in my village area has a "scarecrow" on the gate or fence, wife told me its an old Cambodian thing to keep the "bad pee bobs" away. Been doing it around here since she was a little girl so I guess That means its not a real OLD custom.

If u notice a lot of men paint their left baby finger with bright red nail polish, that is to keep the man hungry female PEE BOBS away from men cause she will see the red nail and think he is a she?? And if u are a tuna fisherman painting your left baby finger Wll help u catch more fish???

We have one on our front door. Just how long is it supposed to be left hanging there? What freaks me out is that I see some of these effigies hanging by the neck, sort of like a noose. :o

Maybe they are trying to send you a message. :D

:oActually the stuffed scarecrows are for scareing away bad spirits, the boss explained that apparently about six months ago a old monk had a dream saying that something bad is going to happen to a male member of a family who was born on either a tuesday or thursday, so they where put up to keep the bad luck away, it's more kamer sprit worship than any thing else.

I asked my wife last week and she said that "the lady ghost may come and get you if you were born on a Tuesday or Wednesday" she also said that the lady ghost prefers men, but would not rule out the ghost taking women. Men, women and children have made them in our village. My wife has yet to make hers, she was born on a wednesday. But more worrying than that, is that i dont know on what day i was born. I could look it up on the internet, but i think i may just take my chances :o

Edited by andylee

:oActually the stuffed scarecrows are for scareing away bad spirits, the boss explained that apparently about six months ago a old monk had a dream saying that something bad is going to happen to a male member of a family who was born on either a tuesday or thursday, so they where put up to keep the bad luck away, it's more kamer sprit worship than any thing else.

Guess I do not have to put one up as I was born on a Saturday. :D

Guess I do not have to put one up as I was born on a Saturday. :D

hummm...According to the boss lady these spirits are notoriously crap at working out the days, so better to be safe than sorry!!

Don't say you have not been warned. :D

Hi

Any ideas?

Good Point jandajoy! dressed in that getup who knows what unsavory characters I might attract :D

I wonder what happens to that sweet little Thai lady to turn her into BOSS LADY soon after the wedding?? Almost never fails, I told mine yesterday that I did not understand that my wedding ring was to be worn in the nose, and called her boss lady. She is pissed but I don't care.

" wonder what happens to that sweet little Thai lady to turn her into BOSS LADY soon after the wedding?? Almost never fails, I told mine yesterday that I did not understand that my wedding ring was to be worn in the nose, and called her boss lady. She is pissed but I don't care. "

No probem she has just forgotten the 15 minute rule

Can't remember where I heard it, but I'd always understood that they were put up in the fronts of houses where there was a male person in line for being called up for National Service. The dummy out the front was supposed to take the bad karma of being chosen instead, and the human being avoided the call up. Sounds bizarre I know, but so much in Thailand tends to be, and people seem to go to lengthy ways to avoid becoming a grunt in the army. Becoming a monk or having a sex change are two favourite ploys, but katoeys get called up just the same apparently. :o

Anyway, the practice is not just Khmer, as I have seen them in provinces all over Isaan in the past. :D

I asked my wife last week and she said that "the lady ghost may come and get you if you were born on a Tuesday or Wednesday" she also said that the lady ghost prefers men, but would not rule out the ghost taking women. Men, women and children have made them in our village. My wife has yet to make hers, she was born on a wednesday. But more worrying than that, is that i dont know on what day i was born. I could look it up on the internet, but i think i may just take my chances :o

I just got off the phone with my wife and she was talking about ghosts. It was funny to hear her bring it up as I wasn't too sure what she was talking about at first, I just assumed she was talking about gold again. Apparently in her hometown recently a man in his early 30's was a victim of a ghost. She had mentioned it was a lady ghost. Wish I had more details, maybe next call.

Odd that I was reading about ghosts here on Thaivisa before she brought it up. I tried to explain to her about the scarecrow for protection and she didn't really understand what I was talking about.. Next time..

Very strange, wish I knew more..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Well the boss lady has given me time off for good behaviour, so I have scarpered quickly on my trusty bike and gone in search of a few locals to pester. :o

Anyway, whilst out on my travels I have seen many more scarecrows but the "piece de resistance" was one mounted on a decrepit old motorsai. Unfortunately I did not have my trusty box brownie with me to record this momentous event and now for the life of me can't remember where I saw it.

God, I live an exciting life!!

Every single house has one in my village,i dont see anyone sick around,ive never seen it in the 5 yrs ive been here,and the reports are coming in that everywhere in issan is putting them up,i dont believe its to do with whats been posted,as of regards to death or illness or is everybody ill all around,i was wondering why we didnt have one,then i realized my family are bone idle,it would be too much like hard work for them.

This custom was brought into Isaan by Pilgrim Lancashire immigrants, in memory of their loved ones left behind in Oswaldthwistle and Sabden who were burned at the stake, their effigies can be seen outside many houses and shops in the area, their ghosts wander the moors looking for none Paki or Indian areas so they can rest in peace :o Nignoy

In my village the "scarecrow" is outside homes where there is a male member of any age who was born on a Tuesday or Thursday. As has been said earlier, it seems that a female ghost will be looking for a partner born on one of those 2 days, and these scarecrows apparently re-route her elsewhere.

I have been unable to establish for how long she is active, and indeed why she is active now all of a sudden. My questions to the villagers as to why she would want a male born on a Tuesday or Thursday were met with a blank stare. Furthermore I have been told that in the recent past 2 victims were claimed by the ghost, both dying as a result.

Isn't living in Isan fun!

In my village the "scarecrow" is outside homes where there is a male member of any age who was born on a Tuesday or Thursday. As has been said earlier, it seems that a female ghost will be looking for a partner born on one of those 2 days, and these scarecrows apparently re-route her elsewhere.

I have been unable to establish for how long she is active, and indeed why she is active now all of a sudden. My questions to the villagers as to why she would want a male born on a Tuesday or Thursday were met with a blank stare. Furthermore I have been told that in the recent past 2 victims were claimed by the ghost, both dying as a result.

Isn't living in Isan fun!

Well, I'll be damned. For the last few weeks, I started noticing scarecrows popping up. At first, I didn't think too much about it but as more and more started cropping up, it became too strange to be a coincidence. I guess that explains it.

Heh, amazing Thailand!

What I think is funny is that the spirit of a dead woman has enough sense to walk around the village looking for a mate to take into the afterlife but can't tell the difference between a man and a scarecrow.

Some belief.

A scarecrow might be a better proposition than one of the many alcohol ridden, lazy village gambling men, with debts up to his eyeballs!

the thread of the week for sure; havent stopped laughing; wonder if i should tell hubby, that would make some kibbutzniks take notice, huh??? an effigy in our garden...

or does this ghost stay only in thailand; and how come she isnt looking for a rich farang husband instead (with probably better luck, no matter what day they were born, a sucker being born every minute...); and just remmeber nang nak and how these lady ghosts are.... (watch the movie and u will find out...)

bina