Racing To Kan For Anzac Day.

Daewoo

I am in BKK on 23rd/24th for work, and want to dash to Kan for ANZAC day. Both my grandfathers were veterans, and I would like to pay my respects to all the diggers.

I have some mates coming down from Chiang Mai, but no one I know coming from BKK.

I am not sure what time I will finish on the Thursday, but I am guessing late afternoon, so it will be a dash to get there in time for beers and early bed in time for the dawn service.

I am not rolling in cash, but would consider a hire car or Taxi if there are really other options. Is there a reasonably quick, frequent service from BKK??? It seems a bit pointless to sped 2000THB a day on a hire car, and then have to worry about getting lost, my driving skills Vs Thai driving habits, and the car would be sitting there unused all day of the 25th anyway...

All advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Daewoo

not sure about costs, but you should contact the Australian Thai chamber of commerce (or Aus or NZ embassies) to find out what is happening there this year, so you can plan a bit better. They usually hold the dawn service at hellfire pass, which is a bit out of Kan Town, so it may be worth staying up there, or you might find yourself stuck in Kan at 4.00am with no way to get the extra 30km to hellfire pass!

There is a 'resort' quite close to hellfire pass, which from memory isn't too expensive, but is likely booked out by now- or close to booked out soon.

not sure about costs, but you should contact the Australian Thai chamber of commerce (or Aus or NZ embassies) to find out what is happening there this year, so you can plan a bit better. They usually hold the dawn service at hellfire pass, which is a bit out of Kan Town, so it may be worth staying up there, or you might find yourself stuck in Kan at 4.00am with no way to get the extra 30km to hellfire pass!

There is a 'resort' quite close to hellfire pass, which from memory isn't too expensive, but is likely booked out by now- or close to booked out soon.

Thanks samran...

I will be meeting some mates in Kan when I arrive who go every year, and hitching to Hellfire Pass with them... It was more getting to Kan from BKK after work on the Thursday that I am worried about...

They stay in Tha Muang at Luxury Hotel (which apparently isn't so much Luxury :o )

Is the bus as quick as a car? Leave regularly?

Cheers,

Daewoo

two cheapish options.

One is the bus from the southern bus terminal, out in Thonburi, but you'll need to taxi it there, and in rush hour, could take a bit of time.

The other is organising through a travel agent to get on a mini-bus there. If you are in BKK for work, then it probably is possible to duck into a travel agent and organise a seat.

I would think taxis would ask around 3,000 baht for the trip. The bus from southern terminal takes around 2 hours depending on the traffic. Buses are about every 15 minutes and the last bus is just after 10pm. I'm not sure on the current fare, but it should be around 100 baht. The Kancanaburi buses leave from the front left side of the terminal. You would need to get the express direct bus, otherwise it diverts stopping many times around Nakhon Pathom. The Luxury Hotel is on the main road through Kan slightly over 1km from the bus terminal. It's just past, and on the same side, as the better known River Kwae Hotel. The WW2 cemetry is just accross the road from the Luxury. There are many local tourist agencies offering trips to Hellfire pass. You can also hire a Sawngthaew and I'm sure the hotel could help with this. Kanchanaburi.com is a good website to have a look at. Buses to Thong Pa Phum and Sangkhlaburi gp past the Hellfire Pass Museum. The first bus is at 6am the 8203.

Hope this helps and if I can help any more don't hesitate to ask.

I would think taxis would ask around 3,000 baht for the trip. The bus from southern terminal takes around 2 hours depending on the traffic. Buses are about every 15 minutes and the last bus is just after 10pm. I'm not sure on the current fare, but it should be around 100 baht. The Kancanaburi buses leave from the front left side of the terminal.

You would need to get the express direct bus, large.jpg

otherwise it diverts stopping many times around Nakhon Pathom. The Luxury Hotel is on the main road through Kan slightly over 1km from the bus terminal. It's just past, and on the same side, as the better known River Kwae Hotel. The WW2 cemetry is just accross the road from the Luxury. There are many local tourist agencies offering trips to Hellfire pass. You can also hire a Sawngthaew and I'm sure the hotel could help with this. Kanchanaburi.com is a good website to have a look at. Buses to Thong Pa Phum and Sangkhlaburi gp past the Hellfire Pass Museum. The first bus is at 6am the 8203.

Hope this helps and if I can help any more don't hesitate to ask.

Yes as 'DEREK-C' mentioned, DO NOT catch the ORANGE-BLUE-WHITE bus :D only the Blue and White one. :D

As for "The Luxury Hotel" stayed there many a time when it first opened, nice marble floors good loctation for walking around and yes on the main road. Cheap, clean and basic. :D

There really is no need to Race to Kan as you have pleanty of time to get here before 4.00 am on the 25th.

ANZAC Day Tour Hellfire Pass 2008

Post here should you require any further help.

Kan Win :o

Kan Win :D

Thanks very muchly... the only reason I was 'racing' there is because I think I will be pretty thirsty after the long journey :D -> :o -> :D and would like to have a few cleansing ales before an early bed...

As usual for us poor soles who only get to visit Thailand short time, everything is always rush rush rush, "you are going for how long???" The bus does seem like a good sensible option...

Thanks again for all your help...

Cheers,

Daewoo

When you arrive in Kanchanaburi may I suggest that you go to the "Red Kangaroo/Four Nines" bar directly opposite the River Kwai Hotel on the main Saeng Chuto road. Many Aussies will surely be quenching their thirst there for ANZAC day. Good selection of beers too!!

Good selection of beers too!!

mmmmm beeeeeeeer...

At the moment I am trying to hire a motorbike, but if that all fails I will be on the Blue and White bus...

Thanks everyone for your help...

and importantly, on ANZAC Day and everyday... lest we forget...

Cheers,

Daewoo

When you arrive in Kanchanaburi may I suggest that you go to the "Red Kangaroo/Four Nines" bar directly opposite the River Kwai Hotel on the main Saeng Chuto road. Many Aussies will surely be quenching their thirst there for ANZAC day. Good selection of beers too!!

Are you Don's agent Ron !! :o

Yep, you've had some good advice from the guys Daewoo.......I've stopped at the Luxury many times & have been very happy re the rooms cleanliness etc, you'll be ok there if that's where you stop.

I am in BKK on 23rd/24th for work, and want to dash to Kan for ANZAC day. Both my grandfathers were veterans, and I would like to pay my respects to all the diggers.

I have some mates coming down from Chiang Mai, but no one I know coming from BKK.

I am not sure what time I will finish on the Thursday, but I am guessing late afternoon, so it will be a dash to get there in time for beers and early bed in time for the dawn service.

I am not rolling in cash, but would consider a hire car or Taxi if there are really other options. Is there a reasonably quick, frequent service from BKK??? It seems a bit pointless to sped 2000THB a day on a hire car, and then have to worry about getting lost, my driving skills Vs Thai driving habits, and the car would be sitting there unused all day of the 25th anyway...

All advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Daewoo

There's a bus that is frequent .. as well as a minivan service that is less frequent

• 4 weeks later...

There is a mini bus that goes from Victory monument every hour, from next to Century One Mall. The cost is 130baht which is the same as the A/C bus and takes about 2 hours.

It stops just outside the 4 9's if you feel in need of a small sweet sherry to calm your soul!

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody hel_l Ron you must get discount eh? or is it anything to do with those little tete a tete's you have with Don in the back room, you know the ones you always emerge very red and sweaty

Brown noser

See you all at the Dawn service which starts at Hellfire Pass at 05.30 then breakfast at the carpark with a shot of Bundy Rum then back to the war cemetery for the service at 11.30 hrs. Have a look at the Australian Embassy website. All the details are there.

I will be laying a wreath on behalf of my Regiment - New Guinea Volunteer Rifles/Papua New Guinea Volunteer Rifles ex members Association.

LEST WE FORGET

Bicko

Buri ram