Americans In Nong Khai

Mikey7

If the Danish Bakery is the one down the road from the main Post Office, but on the other side of the street and opposite a temple then every time I have been in there it is full of very loud drunken Germans. They were so obnoxious last time we came up for a visa renewal we said we'd find somewhere else to eat lunch. Has it changed since January?

We are up there again two days hence.

Lung Bing

Khon Kaen

We went to Nong Khai today and we went to an new restaurant called "Co Co Na" which is on the other side of the road from the main post office and three or four shops to the right. The coffee was good, the chef was missing, at lunch time. He/she came back and we ordered and the waitress cam back and said they only has spaghetti ! We didn't bother and went to a little chinese restaurant near the market, and very good it was too. Duck on rice with a lovely soup with it.

The market was empty. I believe it was some sort of chinese holiday today, but even so the market was deserted although most of the stalls were open.

We should be back on 28th October for my visa but that's a holiday so we'll come a few days earlier abnd try somewhere else.

The Danish Bakery was empty too, but as I said i no longer like that place.

Lung Bing

Khon Kaen

PS IF there are any Scots in Nong Khai, in the Chinese shop opposite the Co Co Na there is a Rabbie Burn's jug! I couldn't believe my eyes.

We went to Nong Khai today and we went to an new restaurant called "Co Co Na" which is on the other side of the road from the main post office and three or four shops to the right. The coffee was good, the chef was missing, at lunch time. He/she came back and we ordered and the waitress cam back and said they only has spaghetti ! We didn't bother and went to a little chinese restaurant near the market, and very good it was too. Duck on rice with a lovely soup with it.

The market was empty. I believe it was some sort of chinese holiday today, but even so the market was deserted although most of the stalls were open.

We should be back on 28th October for my visa but that's a holiday so we'll come a few days earlier abnd try somewhere else.

The Danish Bakery was empty too, but as I said i no longer like that place.

Lung Bing

Khon Kaen

PS IF there are any Scots in Nong Khai, in the Chinese shop opposite the Co Co Na there is a Rabbie Burn's jug! I couldn't believe my eyes.

October, 28th. It's possible I have to go at that time for the same reason :o

Vit77

If you have to go to Nong Khai on the 28th of October I advise you to ring up and go earlier. That's the day that the fireballs rise from the middle of the river and tens of thousands of people will be up there to watch it and the traffic will be chaotic. I think the Monday of that week is also a holiday, so perhaps a full week before the 28th wold be advisable.

Unless you want to go and see the fireballs of course.

Longsands, Thanks, we'll try and find Noy's then.

Lung Bing

A few days late but....our rice farm is around 15K south of Nong Khai. We only go to "town" to buy fish, banking and the doctors when were in country. Most of the farng we come across are fairly snooty. Must be the bad crowd from the Danish - but I've never been there. Being from a modest farm in Oklahoma I kind of like life in the paddies. Most of the locals are surprised to meet a foreigner who lives like they do. Although I am still not use to the cold showers and squats make going to the loo a fast paced experience.

We bounce back and forth between the States and Issan as we are both finishing up our schooling here before we make the jump permanent. I'm recently retired Navy.

Next time we're back I'll try and look you up.

Eric

Eric,

Would love to visit next time you are in town. I am usually at Noys or Meeting place. But if you like stop by the house I am at 1156/8 Soi Papa. Its in central Nong Khai so not far to look. I'll Look forward to it.

I know of two places that are quite a contrast from the Danish Bakery. The first is the MutMee guest house. There is s very small soi behind the hospital which goes down to the river. The MutMee is at the end. They serve food and some alcohol and you don't have to be a guest there to relax and enjoy their very pleasant riverside garden. If this sounds promotional, it is, because this is where I always stay when I come to Nong Khai and I really enjoy the people who run the place and the wide variety of English speaking guests who travel through and provide an interesting chat. The second place is a bit bizarre...its the FGCC college! It is the first community college in Thailand and teaches almost all its classes in English. They do this with a variety of volunteers who are mostly native English speakers (yanks, brits, auzies,etc). The volunteers mostly stay for one term which is about 3 months so every 3 months there's a new batch to go meet. The volunteers are all ages but mostly either young (not settled down yet so they can spend some months seeing the world) or mature (as in they are retired or nearing retirement and they want to check out Isaan). Of course I don't want to stereotype these people but just want to let you know that they are a diverse bunch.

Dugdig,

Where in Nong Khai is this FGCC? The wife and I have never heard of this place. I'll also have to check them out with my wife's uncle as he's plugged into the global ESL effort.

Are they in the "big" white building near the land office? Would explain the farang backpackers concentrated in that area.

Eric

It's in the old city hall.

As you arrive in Nong Khai from Udon go through the first set of lights (just after Lotus) and when you arrive at the 2nd set, it is the building directly ahead of you. It is white so it could be the one you are thinking about.

That's the one I thought. The land office is more or less cata-corner from there. Always saw a bunch of farang, normally young ladies, dragging their backpacks around that area. The cops do have a rather large presence around their "club" house don't they. We got stopped by them one day and were told that since my wife was pregant that I had to drive as it is safer for the baby! They, three fairly senoir guys, even gave us their names in case any of the others questioned it.

I like Nong Khai...maybe we should discourage others from coming up our way so it will stay like it is...yeah right!

Unfortunately, over recent years, I've seen a steady influx of ex-Pattaya bums arriving here, and acting in the same manner as they did in Pattaya. Many, although certainly not all, are of the Scandahooligan brand - Instant A.s.s.h.o.l.e - just add alcohol (preferably for breakfast).

Hey that's my college/colleagues you're referring to guys!

I'm a Brit, head of English at FGCC and I'm 43 - dunno if that puts me in the young backpacker or retiree box ;-) n.b. that's not a statue, it's the Prap Ho monument - you can't miss it. Straight down the road from Udon Thai until you can't get any further.

We're moving away from hiring short-term volunteers - we want people who'll give a least a year's commitment. We're looking for Maths, Science and other teachers as well as English - but all taught in English.

Our website's undergoing an overhaul but it'll be up to date and live in a few days so you'll be able to get plenty of info if you go to http://www.fgcc.ac.th/

The young backpackers that you see are actually short-term volunteers with another organisation, travel-to-teach. It puts GAP year kids in placements for a few weeks in schools near to Nong Khai. Another organisation is starting up which will put volunteers in more distant village schools that never see farang (and therefore never hear english spoken by a native speaker).

So you're right, whilst there are some sleazy, nasty elements making their way up from Pattaya and upsetting some of my wonderful friends who work in the town's restaurants, there are decent farang who come into town too. And the staff at Mut Mee are the best - they have a nice website which is informative about the town.