Living In Loei

Sparkles

Loei ,

Nice place,mining still alive(gold and iron ore)but only a couple of expats.

If the copper price picks up and powers to be have some common sense it could be a thriving place.

If you like small cities that have just about everything,nice

Thanks for the prompt and helpful answers.

I have to go to Thali again soon to get a Multiple Re-entry Visa and thought a few nice relaxing days in the hills would be good.

Have already had some days in Loei itself and wanted to try another area.

tsocr: I don't know if the little bus (Baht Bus type) had a number '2115'

We caught it at the shelter adjacent to the main bus station as were told that only this type run between Loei and Thali?

The properties that we noticed on the LHS of the road going from Loei, about 10-15K out of Thali may well have been just 'well to do' Thai homes, a couple looked like accommodation types though!

If cannot find will probably stay at the Kings Hotel, had a couple of meals at the restaurant there which were very good.

Last time stayed at the Loei Palace Hotel on a very cheap deal they had at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

tsocr:

What's the "2115" ?

Is there a regular bus to Thali, other than the Baht Bus types. Not that this is a problem, but we were told initially that the only buses from Loei are the local types that run from the small shelter opposite to the main bus station!

Thanks. Also any news on the 'maybe' resort off to the side of the Thali road?

tsocr:

What's the "2115" ?

Is there a regular bus to Thali, other than the Baht Bus types. Not that this is a problem, but we were told initially that the only buses from Loei are the local types that run from the small shelter opposite to the main bus station!

Thanks. Also any news on the 'maybe' resort off to the side of the Thali road?

Fishhooks

You are good for the location to pick up the mini bus. Schedule changes but should be about every hour. When I mentioned 2115 I was refering to the road up to Thali. The resort in Thali is Hia Tee Resort. #042889061. I do not have any good or bad things to say about it. I or anyone I know has stayed there. Good luck. When are you coming?

Tsocr

Thanks Tsocr

Need to go that way early next month, not sure of exact date yet.

When I renewed my Retirement Visa in March, I stupidly thought that I would get by this year with a single re-entry permit, but now find I will need more, so thus the need to return to Thali.

I also (thought?) that if I needed more entry's I could get in Bangkok or at the airport..... Not so any more!

We are in Australia at present and with the ridiculously cheap air fares at present from Air Asia and the likes, it's worth traveling around a bit.

The resort was just a thought for a few relaxing days in the hills other than staying at the "Kings" in Loei.

May get TW to give the resort a call anyway and check them out.

• 1 month later...

By the map it looks as though there would be a fairly nice drive through the hills from Loei to say SriChiangmai and areas beyond.

Anyone know if this is so and if indeed there is a regular bus run from Loei.

Reasonable Aircon type bus would be great if available?

By the map it looks as though there would be a fairly nice drive through the hills from Loei to say SriChiangmai and areas beyond.

Anyone know if this is so and if indeed there is a regular bus run from Loei.

Reasonable Aircon type bus would be great if available?

It is a great drive the scenery is worth the trip alone winding roads through the mountains took us about 12 hrs to travel just over 600 kms

It is a far cry from the flat country I am from :)

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for resorts near Tha Li, we were just up there and spent the night in a small resort just outside Tha Li, right on the Thai-Lao border and very close to the Nam Heuang Friendship Bridge.

I can't remember the name of the resort now, but to get there, just continue north on route 2115 from Tha Li for about 9.5 km till you come to the intersection with the 2195 at a place called Ban Pak Huay. Take a left and continue for around 800m then take a right - if I remember correctly, there's a sign pointing towards the resort. It's just near a set of rapids called Kaeng Heuang. It cost 300 Baht a night for a double room, basic but clean with a/c and hot water.

On the way back, we stayed in a resort in Phu Rua - as others have mentioned there are a bunch of them, we must have seen at least 10 different resorts either on route 203 or on the road going from Amphoe Phu Rua up into the National Park. It's only 35 km from Phu Rua to Tha Li, you take the 203 heading towards Loei then turn onto the 2399 which takes you all the way into Tha Li.

By the way, if you're crossing into Laos over the Friendship Bridge, there's a 1,400 Baht fee for a Lao visa on arrival (for non-Thais) plus a 20 Baht entry fee which everyone pays.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

• 2 weeks later...

I'm heading out to Loei in about 8 weeks. I'm coming out to teach and help out at a school somewhere between Loei & Chiang Khan. I'm really looking forward to it and its sounds from other replies on this thread I could be one of only a very few farang out that way. Excellent! I'm going to be there for 6 months to start, and see if I can't stay longer.

If anyone wants to meet up for beers or food then drop me a line; it'd be good to get to know some people out there! Also, recommendations for places to visit, hang out or whatever would be welcome!

Edited by lomax

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone has questions about Loei i would certainly try and answer them as i have been here for about 18months now. There are more farang here that have been here for more years than i have. There are actualy quite a few that reside in the area.

I stayed at a little resort that look like A-Frame cottages just at the gate check going into Tha li, they were very nice but a little more expensive than the King Hotel they were 1000.oo Baht a night. The pubs here do not open till after 6PM as that the city rules and there was 3 disco's but 2 just closed about 2 weeks ago. Drop me a line if i can be of any help i will sure try to answer your question's. :)

• 1 year later...

I live near Loei in Ban Meung (48km away) and know of several resort/guest houses around. The roads are getting busier since I first came here 5 years ago. A lot more commercial vehicles and more Thai tourists heading to Chiang Khan. There are two resorts just after the T intersection at Tha Li/Ban Meung. The one on the LHS visible from the main road is fairly new and built in traditional thai style except for the bathrooms - no scooping required. I'm not sure on prices but would be happy to inquire.

Life here is often a gong-show and never routine. Mundane tasks like digging cassava or Thai fishing (bring your pump) have me smiling more than any job I ever had back in Canada. Scenery is great and so is the weather.

The only downside being the only falang in the village is a shortage of conversation. I have my internet, books, movies etc. but now and then need a good laugh in my own language, preferably over beers without having to go back to Pattaya.

Tsocr, Corona, whereabouts are you? Anyone up for a few beers?

Mike

If I remember correctly, Tesco Lotus was ready to have the grand opening of their store in Loei city around March of 2006. It was a small store and probably wouldn't have had much anyways. Between the local merchants and the city fathers, they were able to stop the store from opening and it remained that way until earlier last year (2010). At that point Tesco Lotus got much smarter and built a Super Store a few kilometers south of the city on highway 201. The Loei merchants would have been much farther ahead if they had allowed the small store in the city to open. The Super Store is now open and has even expanded their open hours because the huge store is ALWAYS busy. Lately I am seeing more farangs in this area and maybe the Tesco Lotus store has something to do with that. Going from Loei to Udon Thani was a long trip just to stock up on farang goods. The area south of Loei city on highway 201 has the car dealerships, tractor dealerships and now a large Tesco Lotus store. Life is now easier and more pleasant here in the boonies.

We will now make our monthly shopping trip to Loei rather than Udorn. It is closer to us by nearly 30 kilometers and the drive is much more pleasant.

We have shopped in Lotus Loei once and drove by it without stopping on 31 December. The parking lot was full and cars were parking on vacant land 100-200 meters away. We only needed cheese that day and it was not worth the effort.

We will be going back in the next couple of weeks and it is a pleasure to have it open at last.

Will most likely during Feb or March be doing the bus trip from Phitsanulok to Udon or Vica Versa.

Last time I really loved the high countryside approaching Loei from the Phitsanulok side. Many K's of great market gardens etc.

Is there any good accomm in these area's I speak of, wouldn't mind staying over for a few days.

Will most likely during Feb or March be doing the bus trip from Phitsanulok to Udon or Vica Versa.

Last time I really loved the high countryside approaching Loei from the Phitsanulok side. Many K's of great market gardens etc.

Is there any good accomm in these area's I speak of, wouldn't mind staying over for a few days.

Let me preface my response with the disclaimer that I have never stayed over night in this area.

Having said that, there are a number of resorts located on and just off highway 203 to Loei. There seem to be quite a few around Phu Rua National Park. We have stopped in several of them for coffee and breaks and some of them are quite attractive.

Here is a link that may or may not survive the swift sword of justice: http://www.tripsthailand.com/phurua.php

Tha Li Immigation office is now closed. I was redirected to Nagasing border crossing where I just did the 90 day exit. Visa to Laos was 1700 bt. Picked up a case of dark Beer Lao and back into Thailand, smiling customs officials and all. For 90 day reports or extensions, Chiang Khan is the closest around here now.

I live near Loei in Ban Meung (48km away) and know of several resort/guest houses around. The roads are getting busier since I first came here 5 years ago. A lot more commercial vehicles and more Thai tourists heading to Chiang Khan. There are two resorts just after the T intersection at Tha Li/Ban Meung. The one on the LHS visible from the main road is fairly new and built in traditional thai style except for the bathrooms - no scooping required. I'm not sure on prices but would be happy to inquire.

Life here is often a gong-show and never routine. Mundane tasks like digging cassava or Thai fishing (bring your pump) have me smiling more than any job I ever had back in Canada. Scenery is great and so is the weather.

The only downside being the only falang in the village is a shortage of conversation. I have my internet, books, movies etc. but now and then need a good laugh in my own language, preferably over beers without having to go back to Pattaya.

Tsocr, Corona, whereabouts are you? Anyone up for a few beers?

Hello Mike , I will be in your neck of the woods in a few days , I live in Mahasarakham and want to spend a few days in Chiang Kang . I will come on motorcycle , well it's a Phantom so almost a motorcycle .I would enjoy to talk to you and we can swap lies after a few beers , I am an American from south Florida so we almost speak the same language . I would enjoy meeting with you . I have the same name as you,

Mike ,Mahasarakham

Mike