Working In Thailand As A Divemaster

Gregory007

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dive master i guess 250 a day when you go out if you freelance, also depending how many languages you can speak long term, must be pretty darn good by selling trips, equipment, continued education,...etc.

dive master i guess 250 a day when you go out if you freelance, also depending how many languages you can speak long term, must be pretty darn good by selling trips, equipment, continued education,...etc.

It all depends on what you negotiate, and if you are indeed an experienced (and certified) divemaster already.

Some places work on commission basis, 15-20% for sales and an additional 15% of the price for taking them out. Most serious dive operations set limits to around 4 divers per divemaster, still that could well make for 1000 baht per day and up. Depending on where you work and what the going dive trip pirce is, for example Koh Tao is very very cheap for dives and courses, mainly because the dive operators also have bars guesthouses and restaurants an are generally socially adept so they make their money thru secondary channels.

Be aware however that there are a few unsavoury characters in the diving biz.

Also realize that you are responsible for your own DAN insurance (or equivalent) as Thailand (apperantly) is one of the few countries where it is not mandatory for dive operators to have it and most standard insurances DO NOT cover diving related emergencies. Low altitude helicopter trips and deco chamber stints are not cheap. So its not a bad idea to have it. Beware of openended Dive Master trainee programmes. Some sell the 'lifestyle' as if its not about peddling courses, trips and gear.

But.. I'd rather be diving :o