Who Is Really Qualified?

My heart goes out to those Thai peope who want to learn the English language.

As I see it:

The usual case is that throughout primary and secondary education they are taught English by Thais, obviously with a Thai accent, who were themselves taught by Thais.

Then, if they are fortunate enough to be encouraged into further education, they go on to college and university where they might hope to actually come into contact with a Farang, often for the first time, to perfect and fine-tune their communication skills. However, the chances of that farang speaking English without a European, Australian or US American accent and vocabulary are very poor indeed. I have met many Farang who tell me they are English teachers while their native accent is so pronounced that I have trouble understanding them, let alone the poor Thai student who pays so much attention to precise tonal pronunciation.

If the students are unfortunate enough to be taught by a number of different teachers they must get so confused by all the different accents they encounter.

It's no wonder that the majority of Thai people that I have come across have very little confidence and ability when attempting to communicate in English, especially after making a mistake that I ask to be clarified.

The spelling, grammar and puncuation skills of many of the native English speakers we see here in the forums falls far short of the standard that that should be expected from those who take the high position of Ajahn and are entrusted, as experts, to teaching others.

It's one thing to know (or not) how to do something. Being qualified to teach it, however, is another thing completely.

Shouldn't English teachers come from England? (and even then only when they have a very good command of the language), US American teachers from US America? Duch teachers from Holland? I wouldn't dream of taking a position as a French teacher quite simply because my command of that language is not precise and complete enough for me to consider that I qualify.

I understand it's generally the only occupation, as a foreigner, that one can turn to in order to stay in this country, but shouldn't we be considering the student before ourselves?

What do you think?

Edited by endure
Edited for font.

No doubt there'll be some teachers along in a minute to give us the real poop but when you say that English ought only be taught by native English teachers because Aussies/Yanks have an accent which particular English accent are you talking about? Brummie? Geordie? RP? Dorset? There are as many accents in England as there are anywhere in the world.

What's perfectly pronounced English? Who says so? Who and how many people speak it? Would they be willing to teach in Thailand for a pittance? What about those Thai students who graduate and go to do postrgrad studies in the US or Oz?