Adsl Update

toopeekaa 1

I'm at the point where I want to rip the IPTV dish off my roof, and would if the remaining holes wouldn't cause a leak....

I am interested in going ADSl as this seems to be a good shot..... It seems to be about 3-4 weeks since we have had a report from those who have adsl for their use. Would someone care to comment on how it seems to stack up vs. IPTV, IPSTAR, the TT&T Version Vs the TOT adsl or any new system that may be coming on.

I am just interested in good download speed as well as eliminating the 15 or so telephone reconnet fees daily, and of course consistancy Just something that works with as few problems as possible, Here in Chiang Mai of course

Thanks

Go into the new Panthip and check out TOT and Ji-Net plus others. THey have shiny new shops. Nice Staff and not many customers so will be a relaxing day.

Personally use dial up with Sanook Cards NOT 1222 and NEVER misses a beat...

Hope that helps you.

Oh search this forum for a VERY long topic on adsl

ct

I can't speak for Chiang Mai as I am in Bangkok but I simply can't complain about True. Yeah, the connect speeds vary dramatically and I don't get what I signed up for but it's a heck of a lot better than the dial-up alternative. I was previously on an unlimited 30 day dial-up plan with maximum 4 hour connect so I was dialing up a minimum of 6 times per day (often more) as I like to leave the PC on 24/7 doing all sorts of things. This is what I now get:

• Signed up for 2560/512 at 1150 THB per month
  • As a UBC subscriber got a free modem
  • As a TA phone sucbscriber got free installation
  • Getting download speeds between 5 kbs and 300 kbs pn Kazaa Lite - average about 30 kbs

So for as much as it was costing me previously (approx. 800 THB per month in phone calls PLUS 400 THB for internet hours) I am now on 24/7 with better bandwith - laughing!!! :o

Good advice CTG, but Unfortunately I did that about a month ago.

Went to Panthip Pz, to TT&T, requested information about adsl.... They took my address, looked it up on their computer map and yes indeed, there was a little block representing my address and yes adsl was available.

" Would I like to sign up"?

" Perhaps"

" How much"?

" 3600B "

" How long before installation" [This was on the 20th August]

Telephone calls were made and the answer came back "they could install the line on Friday the 27th, and I could start using the adsl on Monday the 30th"

They made several more calls and I even got my new telephone number,,.. [as I am currently on TOT]

Even though they already had my precise location on the computer map, It was necessary for some reason for me to draw 3 more hand scrawled maps on papers to go along with the forms. Fortunately I had copies of my Passport and work permit to facilitate the process which took less than an hour.

I left with a bag containing my modem, and new computer telephone and I was one happy camper, thinking "da*m someone has really trained these people good and they can really "THINK" . [sorry I just had to throw that in ,, the devil made me do it]

I paid my money and off I went .

The good feeling lasted about the 45 minutes it took me to get home...... just as I pulled into my driveway, my hand phone rang. Yes, it was TT&T calling to tell me that they were sorry but the adls was now full and I could't have one...

Well I was really high for a while any how..... The end result, all the calls they had made checking this and checking that, apparently no checked to see if any of "deze adsls was left"... So I could keep the line if I wanted of if not I could bring all the stuff back and get my money back...... That is what I did.

[do you think its me or do I have a black cloud over me?]

Now are you saying TOT has an office at Panthip also or would you think it better to go to the TOT Office on Tung Hotel Rd and check availability there?

Anyhow thanks again for the suggestion

P.S. I tried one of the recommended Travel Agents & I'll fill all in later if I survive the next trip.

A CNX thread on internet connections seems a very good idea. I have been following the internet situation (calling it a problem is a judgement call), for three years, including dial up from a condo and my current AIS GPRS.

I have learned to forget ADSL unless you are within 5 km of the central TOT relay station, (Am I wrong to say downtown only) forget Ipstar as there are too many complaints (but may be hope iwth new sattelitie) and settle for the problems of dial up or GPRS. Since getting a telephone line is my problem, GPRS is my solution. Occasionaly quite slow, but does work and only about one disconnect an hour or less. Typical bandwith problems.

For those on it, I have found that if I re-boot my laptop before using it, (I leave mine on all the time) I can get better internet connections to e-mail.

There were some posts of heavy internet users and ADSL living downtown that were happy with their speed, in the 250bps level, in the spring threads.

Until the government is willing to invest in optic cables or Ipstar becomes as reliable as UBC, there is not much hope for high speed internet connections outside downtown CNX, in my view. Anyone disagree, would love to get better internet speed, wouldn't almost anyone?

I did stop last week at an internet shop downtown last week that had ADSL and it was like having gone to heaven, until a very fat, smelly man sat down too close to me at the next computer.

I'm waiting for the DTAC EDGE wireless broadband to come up to Chaing Mai next year. It's in Bangkok at the moment. Hope it reaches this far south of town (Hang Dong). In the long run I think it's the best chance countries with limited infrastructure are going to get faster internet out to the villages.

I use dialup (KSC 1222 fixed price for the month with my TOT line, with occasional by-the-hour for radio/Skype), and GPRS out in the village, we have no phone out there either.

John

Hope it reaches this far south of town (Hang Dong). In the long run I think it's the best chance countries with limited infrastructure are going to get faster internet out to the villages

Realistic speaking.

How many people actually want / need super fast internet in far out villages?

If you were the owner of the company would you do it, install all the infrastructure for a couple of people?

I was thinking long term there, it's just based on the fact that there are a lot of people wanting telephone in the villages, and new fixed lines are not cost effective despite people being willing to pay 10,000 baht to buy a line off a neighbour who'd rather have the money than a phone. So there is a need for fixed-location bandwith of some kind out there, yes. And phone/internet is beginning to amount to the same thing. DTAC think they have a workable business model, so we shall see if it comes good! Hope it's not just another city thing.

John

ADSL certainly seems to be a big riddle here in Chiang Mai. Before I moved here only a little more than two few weeks ago, I tried to find out via the internet and ther real estate agents, if the offered houses were able to get ADSL installed. At that time I found out that even telephone is not always a certainty.

I then gave up on ADSL being a priority and simply rented a house but mde sure it had a telephone. The line installed was with TT&T. So I had the agent help me in checking for ADSL, and what do you know, the line was available for ADSL (it apparently needs to be a "free" line, watever that means). Are there still shared lines here like in the olden days elsewhere?

It took only 5 days and I already had my username and password. This included the weekend. All I had to do is buy an ADSL modem and do the set-up. The set-up itself was not too difficult once I had sorted out some other settings, which were wrong in the modem and falsely stated in the manual. They were probably for TOT instead of TT&T but nothing like that was specified.

The speed is reasonable, certainly better and more convenient than dial up. It certainly does not reach the cable modem speed I had in Canada but then I found the ADSL speed in Canada also to be slower than the cable modem. I guess for the true speed I have to run a test. The info page of my modem gives the following speeds 2048 kbps down and 896 kbps up. I believe though it is actually slower in real life situations.