Young Learner Teachers Courses

leprechaun

I hope to attend a young learners teaching course very shortly and I'm in the process of trying to find out which is the best.

I have enquired at different orginizations who offer these courses and also spoken to some of my friends who have attended for the best recommendations. I would also like to appeal to the users of this forum to recommend courses that they have been on and if poss' state the reason why they believe that their course provided the best tuition.

Thanks. :o:D

I thought only ECC offered a young learners course?

I don't know about it being the only one, but I can reccommend the TEYL course at ECC because I've taken it twice. Both times were due to employer trainer, no I'n not rich and stupid. Also I've had friends take the course and they both were sastified with it.

I believe that no native-speaker can properly teach young kids in Thailand without undergoing this course, excluding certified teachers from abroad of course.

By young learners' course, do you mean a course of TEFL taught in Thailand, that prepares you to teach non-adults? Isn't the much-vaunted CELTA the only course that DOESN'T do that? Don't most of the other courses target you to teach teenagers and younger students, because that's whom you are likely to teach in Thailand?

I thought only ECC offered a young learners course?

I don't know about it being the only one, but I can reccommend the TEYL course at ECC because I've taken it twice. Both times were due to employer trainer, no I'n not rich and stupid. Also I've had friends take the course and they both were sastified with it.

I believe that no native-speaker can properly teach young kids in Thailand without undergoing this course, excluding certified teachers from abroad of course.

It is after all R E C O M M E ND . AND you purport to teach. GO HOME

It is after all R E C O M M E ND . AND you purport to teach. GO HOME

Purportedly or not, this is the teacher's part of the forum, and anybody coming on here who wants to tell teachers to go home, because they aren't good teachers, could at least have written,

"The course is, after all, recommended [passive voice]."

And to what quote was the illustrious and prolific doctor referring? He was referring to a quote by an actual teacher in Thailand, giving a reasoned opinion based upon his recent experience, without resorting to weird use of the keyboard.

Good work, Lost gold.

Doctor, do you teach English? Do you teach keyboard?

Peace Blondie, there's a CELTYL course at the British Council now apparently.

Who is that petulant bad mannered doctor person?? People were having a civilized (on topic) chat and he barges in and tries to stir things up?

Strange admin you have here!! :o

Peace Blondie, there's a CELTYL course at the British Council now apparently.

Who is that petulant bad mannered doctor person??  People were having a civilized (on topic) chat and he barges in and tries to stir things up?

Strange admin you have here!! :o

I've heard for about a year now, that the CELTA providers (who charge up to 40% more than the competition) offer a young learners' course, because the final letter in the CELTA acronym represents adults, not children. So, after you've paid the big baht for the CELTA course, you have to fork out even more to learn how to teach English to young learners.

Now, wouldn't it be faster and cheaper to take one of the less internationally recognized courses and learn how to teach Thai children in only about four weeks for only about US$1,100? Unless, of course, you intend to make a professional, long-term career of teaching EFL outside of Thailand, or only to adults.

But then I don't always know about which I'm talking. :D:D