Senators Warn Thaksin Against His Behaviour

george

Senators warn Thai leader against his challenge to critics

BANGKOK, Sept 27 (TNA) - A senator warned the Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, against his satiring suggestion to organise a public event for government critics, saying it would only encourage wars of words.

Mr. Wallop Tangkananurak, a Bangkok senator, told TNA on Monday that the prime minister made a mistake by bluntly saying that any disgruntled members of the public could go to Sanam Luang to criticise him.

''It would be politically correct if the prime minister said he would set up a stage at Sanam Luang for the public to voice their concerns, or suggestions to his government,'' said the senator.

''But the prime minister put a satiring tone into it as if he was not sincere in what he was suggesting, but just wanted to challenge his critics. I am afraid people would just make a mickey out of him,'' he said.

Meanwhile, Sompong Sakawee, a senator from the southern province of Songkhla, said there was no need for the government to organise the public event for people if it sincerely wanted to listen to criticism.

''By law, the general public can organise a forum to criticise the government. The government can not limit this constitutional right. I think it will be more useful to the government if it ought to give an ear to its criticism made in the parliamentary

sessions, or listen to senators' opinions and suggestions from elected members of the parliament.

In a surprise move, Mr. Thaksin announced yesterday that he plans to organise a ‘Forces Despising Government’ event at Sanan Luang in mid October to allow his critics to air their grievances against him and his government.

--TNA 2004-09-27

Fears grow of clash at Sanam Luang

BANGKOK: -- The Thai Rak Thai Party is reportedly planning to bring its grassroot supporters to Bangkok to attend an unorthodox forum it is organising for antigovernment critics, prompting fears of a major political confrontation in the making.

On Sunday, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced the plan to invite all antigovernment groups to Sanam Luang on October 15.

But what initially looked like a sarcastic offer has set off alarms following reports from inside the ruling party that its rural supporters could be brought to Bangkok to join the forum.

Sanam Luang, an historical gathering ground from where some major political changes have stemmed, was under the spotlight over the weekend when a major antiThaksin protest was launched.

The protesters encamping at Sanam Luang yesterday promised a prolonged fight to bring Thaksin down, saying they planned to seek middleclass support and revive the “Silom uprising” which led to the downfall of the Chavalit government in 1997.

Protest organisers led by controversial businessman Ekkayuth Anchanbutr and industrial tycoon Prachai Leophairatana said they were trying to drum up support from Bangkokians – especially those in the Silom financial district – so that the campaign would be a multipronged attack on the Thaksin administration.

“The protest will continue nonstop, and what’s encouraging is the participation of the middle class, who have begun to pay attention and give support to our campaign,” said another key organiser, businessman Amarin Khoman.

The Sanam Luang protest, which began on Saturday and included workers from state enterprises, coincided with the rejuvenation of the “Seeing Through Thaksin” movement, which brings together wellknown academics, social critics and senators.

Several political setbacks for Thaksin have buoyed the movement, which has pumped out books and organised highprofile antigovernment forums.

Another antigovernment rally has also sprung up in front of Ramkhamhaeng University.

To counter what appears to be simultaneous political attacks from different groups, Thaksin on Sunday announced that whoever was opposed to his administration would be invited to join the “gathering of the government’s critics” in Sanam Luang.

He vowed to open the forum himself, bring Thai Rak Thai MPs and other ministers to the event and provide free food and drink.

Many critics, however, have snubbed what they described as an insincere offer from the prime minister, who is known to rarely tolerate criticism.

But fears of a confrontation arose yesterday when it was reported that the Thai Rak Thai Party might bring its grassroot supporters to the forum.

“The party has contacted its branches and informed them of the forum so that transportation can be provided to party members in the rural areas who might want to join the event at Sanam Luang,” said a party source, who asked not to be named.

The source said Thaksin wanted the event to last about two or three days.

The government will set up over 100 food and beverage stalls as well as firstaid facilities, the source said.

--The Nation 2004-09-27

Sounds like civil unrest waiting to happen. I'll be there with my camera. Maybe he's hoping to spray the place with bullets and finally rid the world of his critics once and for all.

Yes, it is certainly turning into quite an event... certainly worth witnessing. Reminds me of the People Power movement when I was in the Philippines that brought down Marcos. Hopefully the end results will be the same.

Sounds like civil unrest waiting to happen.  I'll be there with my camera.  Maybe he's hoping to spray the place with bullets and finally rid the world of his critics once and for all.

Yes, it is certainly turning into quite an event... certainly worth witnessing. Reminds me of the People Power movement when I was in the Philippines that brought down Marcos. Hopefully the end results will be the same.

Once the public wake up, the end is in sight.

"The government will set up over 100 food and beverage stalls as well as firstaid facilities, the source said. "

So let see: free transportation and free food..another populist bullshit from TFT..

It's not be easy to end this goverment, too much power and money in their hands..

some nice awake bangkoian are talking about the new party

thaksin we hate you

but iam in fear because the power is almost in one hand and the army is nearby

and if there is a crash between members of right and left side

or even a forced dispute at sanam luang on the 15th of oct.

it is very easy to switch over in reason for national security

same like in 92

and some families are still looking for their members today

they have never been seen again

just have a look how often the uniforms took over the power the last 54 years 17 times an average every 3 years

this scares me more then the abused power

and the special club here in thailandd called

the 400 mio per anno club

these are the real ruler in economy and politic

so lets hurry up to make money and everythink !!! will be fine

How much are tickets to the event and will they accept chicken as barter for the ticket value?

No, but I am sure that the price of admission and all refreshments can be charged to certain Cellular services thorugh use of your cell phone. :o