University Teaching -- Pay Rates Per Class-hour

SHDWFX

Lotsa dissussion of low university pay scales (for example the CMU position). I am curious about comparisions but it needs to be "apples to apples", for example, rate per classroom hour. Consider an undergraduate course with a total of 40 hours (over 8 or 16 weeks). I have two data points but I am not too sure if they are still accurate. I was recently told that Chula pays 1500 Bt / hr if the lecturer has a Masters degree and "a little bit more" (he didnt say) for a PH.D. A couple of years ago a friend told me that Payap in CM worked out to be less than 900 Bt./hr. I am not sure how many classroom hours are required for the CMU position. Does anyone have any other data points for comparison.?

These are good points. The ad that I saw and posted here from CMU for 27,000 baht a month sounds low for full-time, but I have no idea how many hours full-time is. If 20 hours a week is used as a minimum, that would be 337 baht an hour. That's about what a typical language school teacher in Chiang Mai makes.

I have a feeling we are talking apples and oranges here.

My guess is the OP is talking about "content" courses and not English instruction and the second poster is talking about English instruction.

In my case, I receive 2,000 baht per hour when presenting "special lectures" at my uni that are not part of my specific program but are at the graduate level. Teaching undergrad classes outside of my program pays around 1200 baht per hour.

Don't forget to factor in the fact that a salaried position will pay you through the university holidays during which you may have no teaching and not need to clock in.

Also any teaching that is undertaken during these breaks including the current 4 month Summer Semester is paid as overtime.

Yes, I was asking about non-TOEFL type " content or degree-program courses. Usually a contract year will require certain number of credit-hours (for example 24 credit-hours for full-time status) at the school's rate and anything above that number would be an "overage" and compensated separately. There seems to be a wide range of basic rates though.

There's a supply and demand factor, and a prestige factor, and a connections factor. Depending on who you are and who they are rates may vary; furthermore if you are being hired through a "middleman" (not necessarily an agent; he may simply have cornered the private teaching farm at your institution) a good bit may be lifted off the top- Mopenyang's rates for grad work seem a little on the high side, so it's most likely he's not losing much to the middleman.

"S"

^ Yes, those rates are possible at some places, plus similar for some non-standard outside teaching arranged through the univ.

The other big earner is to teach subjects other than English ie business-type subjects on 'International' programmes at universities. However, this is usually not permanent contract stuff but 3-4 weeks per module taught. You have to duck and dive a bit stitching a few gigs together but can be fairly lucrative.

Edited by paully

• 9 months later...

I'm looking for other data points on hourly pay rates for part-time lecturers in undergraduate university programs. So far, I see: Chula @ 1500B/class hour and XXX @ 1200B/class hour. Any others? What about ABAC? Stamford? Webster? Bangkok U?

The B27,000 CMU is paying works out to B19,000 + B8000 for living allowance. This is the standard pay for all gov't universities. 12-15 contact hours (classroom teaching) per week is also the standard. Yes, the pay is low but remember the 3 months of summer where you don't teach at all (but still have to show up at the office and sign in). If they like you, you may be offered extra, special teaching gigs that usually pay B1000-1500/hr.