Feedback On Expat Life In Krabi Town

girlx

i have been thinking for awhile to move to a different area. my boyfriend is from krabi noi, about 20 minutes outside of krabi town. i recently went to visit and noticed that krabi town has good infrastructure for expats (prevalent broadband internet, good public transport, tesco lotus, immigration office, etc.), but it did not seem to have much of an expat community to it and all of the nightlife i saw was thai style. can anyone comment? is it a boring place to live? especially in the rainy season?

i have been thinking for awhile to move to a different area. my boyfriend is from krabi noi, about 20 minutes outside of krabi town. i recently went to visit and noticed that krabi town has good infrastructure for expats (prevalent broadband internet, good public transport, tesco lotus, immigration office, etc.), but it did not seem to have much of an expat community to it and all of the nightlife i saw was thai style. can anyone comment? is it a boring place to live? especially in the rainy season?

Hi girlx,

I have been travelling down to Krabi and Krabi town now for about two years doing business. Krabi town is definitely a sleepy place, not a lot of nightlife for Expats, mainly Thai karioke. Ao-nang has a bit more to offer regarding Expat scene and music.

That being said though, Krabi town although slow is very charming. Cool seafood market, good food , nice people. I think for overall living it is good, but as far as activity goes you may have to go over to Ao-Nang, occasionally go spend a night in Railei, and yes, during the rainey season it is VERY quiet.

Just so that I might compare, where will you be coming from?

I would be coming from Koh Phangan.

Hmmmmmmmmmm.........

No Full Moon Parties and trance music in Krabi Town, that's for sure. The backpacker set of KP will be replaced by local Muslims (although sometimes the mosque chanting over the loudspeakers at 5:00AM does sound like trance...). Very nice people though, the local Thais in Krabi, I'm sure more friendly than the KP Thais.

Quick side note on that-I was getting gas at the Lanta Ferry turnoff and the main road, and an older Thai Muslim man, daughter, grand-kids were in a truck next to me. He smiled a snaggle tooth grin at me, I gave all a sawatdee khrap, and everyone laughed and smiled. As I left, one of the ladies gave me some coconut sweet homemade concoction that I munched down the road, very tasty....

If you were my age (40 something) I would say, you'd be fine but if you are 20 something, it will be too boring for you. I'd say Khao Lak or the southern end of Phuket would be better for you. At least in Phuket you have the option to go to discos and happening nightlife.

Best of luck to you, HB

i am 32 actually... but i still need a place to go out every other night or so and meet people, whether farang or thai. i hate the full moon parties by the way, i am more into bonfires on the beach with a guitar, art galleries and little cafes, that sort of thing. maybe if i move there i will have to start my own!

I found Krabi to be a little sleepy but Ao Nang is not that far away and has many farang oriented things including new super stores. The airport is also convenient to Ao Nang.

Krabi town does have a couple of night clubs...Slim's, Crazy Club, etc.,...mostly local Thais partyin' but fun for farang, too!

Maybe move there and start something for ex-pats. It is growing...

Edited by onomataho

• 5 weeks later...
thanks all, by the way, is it possible to extend visas at the immigration office in krabi town?

Hi Girlx,

I am sorry, I do not have an answer to your question on this one.

But if you wanted to start a business what Ao-Nang really needs is a cool coffee house that turns into an evening wine bar.

Comfy couches, maybe a hooka, just an overall cool hangout spot with a comfortable atmosphere.

Might work in Krabi town too.

If I were to guess on your visa question I would say yes, as my local Phuket immigration takes care of my visa matters.

Cheers, HB

thanks all, by the way, is it possible to extend visas at the immigration office in krabi town?

A second on that Yes you can. Krabi is my nearest town and I use the Immigration there.

As others have said Krabi is a bit sleepy and in the low season almost in a coma. :o

Coming from KPG Ao-Nang would a better bet and only a relatively short distance from Krabi with regular taxi/bus service.

:D

• 3 weeks later...
Nampeung Posted Today, 2008-05-17 20:19:09

Just a note on your sidenote Huggy Bear... the Thai Muslims were probably laughing as you wai ed them, they don't wai

?? Huh? Where did he say he Wai'd the Thai Muslims?? I read he Sawatdee Krap'd 'em!!