The Death Of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

george

The death of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

PHUKET (thaivisa.com): -- On 15 March at 1 P.M., the officer-on-duty at Tha Chatchai in Phuket, Pol. Lt. Col. Somkhid Khaosingh, received a report that a young foreign woman had been killed in the vicinity of Mai Khao Beach in Moo 1 Tambon Mai Khao, Amphur Thalang, Phuket. Having notified his superior officer, he hurried off to the crime scene accompanied by Pol. Col. Withayadej Worakhilok, Deputy Commander for Phuket province, Pol. Col. Sakchai Limcharoen, Commander at Tha Chatchai Police Station, Pol. Col. Nopadol Kantakanit, Superintendent of Forensic district 44 (Phuket), a team of rescue workers from Kusolkam foundation in Phuket, and a team of investigators.

The crime took place on a desolate stretch of beach about 1 kilometer from Mai Khao Bungalows. The police found the body of the deceased, a foreign woman, identified as Miss Hanna Charlotta Bäcklund, age 27, from Sweden. She was wearing a black bikini top with the cords at the back undone, and light blue bikini briefs. On her left hand was a deep wound from a sharp object. Her neck had two stab wounds from a pointed knife entering all the way into the trachea. She had a wound at the lower left side of her ribcage from which blood had seeped all over the ground. No traces indicating a rape were found. When the police arrived, the victim's 30-year-old travel companion Emma Storman, also Swedish, was found crying next to her friend's dead body. The police gave the rescue workers clearance to take the body to Thalang Chansut Hospital. While the police were busy investigating the crime scene, five young men, seemingly feigning ignorance of what had happened, came to get a closer look at the body. They were taken in for questioning by the police; it was found they were not involved, but the police recorded their statements before letting them go.

Emma Storman gave a tear-filled testimony, saying she had been travelling in Thailand together with the deceased and that they had stayed at Mai Khao Bungalows for about 1 week before the time of the incident. The deceased and her friend were having a meal at the beachside restaurant belonging to the bungalow complex when Hanna invited her friend to come for a walk along the beach. Emma declined, staying behind with the owner of the complex. Hanna went for a walk by herself not taking any personal affects. When she had not returned after about 30 minutes, Emma became worried and asked the owner to help look for her friend. When they found her body with stab wounds, the police were notified. Emma had never imagined this was how her friend would meet her end.

After listening to witness statements, Pol. Col. Sakchai Limcharoen said the police believe the perpetrators were intent on rape rather than robbery, because the deceased was not carrying anything on her person. The beach where she went walking is comparatively desolate and not very popular with tourists; the bay lies open to the sea and is exposed to strong winds. The belief is that the perpetrators may have been passers-by who saw Hanna walking by herself with nobody else around and decided to rape her, as suggested by the undone straps at the back of her bikini top. When the victim tried to resist, struggle and scream for help, they used a sharp knife to stab her. The victim tried to cover herself with her hands, but failed and was stabbed to death, after which the perpetrators escaped.

After the incident, due to the brutal nature of the crime and realizing the detrimental effect it would have on Phuket's image as a tourist destination, Pol. Maj. Gen. Decha Butnamphech swiftly mobilized police to search for the perpetrators. Meanwhile, the police contacted the Swedish embassy so they would be able to contact the relatives of the deceased and prepare them to receive the body. As for the friend of the deceased, no further details can be given as she is currently in a state of grief and being treated for shock at Bangkok-Phuket Hospital. The police will take her statement again once her condition has improved.

--thaivisa.com 2008-03-17

Translated from an article in Thai Rath by meadish_sweetball for Thaivisa.com. This translation may not be 100% accurate. Should you find any major errors, please contact meadish by PM and they will be edited as necessary.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TOURIST MURDER

100,000 Baht on killer's head

Bt 100,000 reward for clues on Swedish tourist's murderer

PHUKET: -- Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat flew to this southern Andaman coastal resort island to inspect the murder scene of a Swedish tourist, while police investigation has been in progress and a cash reward of 100,000 baht has been offered for any clues leading to the arrest of the murderer.

The woman, identified as 27-year-old Hanna Charlotta Backlund, was found dead Saturday at the popular Mai Kao beach in the southern Andaman coastal Phuket province. Police said she had been attacked and stabbed in the neck.

Police Maj-Gen. Thawat Boonfuang, deputy commissioner for Police Region 8 said Sunday the agency would "pull out all the stops" to arrest the culprit as the notorious case has tarnished Thailand's tourism industry. A Bt 100,000 cash reward will be awarded to anyone who could give clues leading to the murderer's arrest.

Meanwhile, Pol. Maj-Gen. Decha Butrnampetch, Phuket police commissioner, revealed that

preliminary investigation was narrowed down after 20 circumstantial witnesses gave useful information to the investigation. Three suspects are being sought for further investigation as they appeared near the scene before the victim was murdered.

A Swedish embassy official has travelled to Phuket to follow up the police investigation and to arrange for the victim's remains to be sent to her family in Sweden.

--MCOT 2008-03-17

TOURIST MURDER

100,000 Baht on killer's head

Bt 100,000 reward for clues on Swedish tourist's murderer

PHUKET: -- Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat flew to this southern Andaman coastal resort island to inspect the murder scene of a Swedish tourist, while police investigation has been in progress and a cash reward of 100,000 baht has been offered for any clues leading to the arrest of the murderer.

Police Maj-Gen. Thawat Boonfuang, deputy commissioner for Police Region 8 said Sunday the agency would "pull out all the stops" to arrest the culprit as the notorious case has tarnished Thailand's tourism industry. A Bt 100,000 cash reward will be awarded to anyone who could give clues leading to the murderer's arrest.

--MCOT 2008-03-17

Not to detract from the terrible nature of this crime, and passing condolences on to the deceased family.

however

100,000B does absolutely nothing.

I had a house burglary occur last year, I posted a reward of 100K baht including a picture of the cash.

and this generated precisely zero leads.

Terrible crime. :o

Soundman.

Yes as usual, with disgusting monotany, their (the police, politicians,resort owners and anyone else who makes a buck out of tourism) main motivation for action is all about money!

Their modus operandi is to down play it, tell the media to forget it, sweep it under the rug, pay lip service to the poor family and other interested parties. And everyone plays along (including the respective foreign governments), keeping their heads in the sand. If foreign governments were really interested in the safety of their citizens in Thailand there should be strong and clear travel warnings.

Thailand, especially for young girls minding their own business walking along the beach at night, can be a very, very dangerous place.

May she rest in peace.

The crime took place in the middle of the day.

As for the rest, well, given the international outcry over the many fairly recent murders of both tourists and residents, lets hope that the Thai police will start to realize that their first responsibility is towards ensuring the safety of its citizens and guests. Well, one can hope, I guess.

Condolences to any family and friends who may be reading this, something I hope all posters will consider when posting. Sensitivity is necessary in such a large and well known forum, so please bear that in mind.

Yes as usual, with disgusting monotany, their (the police, politicians,resort owners and anyone else who makes a buck out of tourism) main motivation for action is all about money!

Their modus operandi is to down play it, tell the media to forget it, sweep it under the rug, pay lip service to the poor family and other interested parties. And everyone plays along (including the respective foreign governments), keeping their heads in the sand. If foreign governments were really interested in the safety of their citizens in Thailand there should be strong and clear travel warnings.

Thailand, especially for young girls minding their own business walking along the beach at night, can be a very, very dangerous place.

May she rest in peace.

The crime took place in the middle of the day.

As for the rest, well, given the international outcry over the many fairly recent murders of both tourists and residents, lets hope that the Thai police will start to realize that their first responsibility is towards ensuring the safety of its citizens and guests. Well, one can hope, I guess.

Condolences to any family and friends who may be reading this, something I hope all posters will consider when posting. Sensitivity is necessary in such a large and well known forum, so please bear that in mind.

Thank you I was unaware. However, that just seems to make even more terrible.

From the Nation today:

Tourism minister visits Phuket to speed up probe into Swedish tourist murder

Phuket - Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat visited Phuket late Sunday night to ask police to speed up probe into the murder of a tourist on a popular beach of this island province.

Weerasak arrived at the Phuket International Airport at 11:55 pm to find out the progress of the probe into the murder of Charotta Hanna, 27.

Weerasak asked police to brief him the details of the beach and the attack.

Phuket Police chief Pol Maj Gen Decha Butrnamphet reported to him that the Phuket Tourism Association offered Bt100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the murder.

The Nation

From the IHT yesterday:

Swedish woman found dead on Thai beach

The Associated Press

Published: March 15, 2008

BANGKOK, Thailand: A Swedish tourist was found dead Saturday on a beach in Thailand, police said.

The woman was identified as a 27-year-old who had been visiting the island of Phuket, one of Thailand's most popular tourist destinations, with two friends, police Lt. Gen. Sakchai Limcharoen.

One of the woman's travel companions discovered her body midday Saturday near the bungalow they had rented, Sakchai said.

She appeared to have been attacked with sharp objects, Sakchai said. Police were investigating the attack.

The Swedish Embassy was closed for the weekend and could not immediately be reached for comment.

From the Nation today:

Phuket - Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat visited Phuket late Sunday night to ask police to speed up probe into the murder of a tourist on a popular beach of this island province.

Weerasak arrived at the Phuket International Airport at 11:55 pm to find out the progress of the probe into the murder of Charotta Hanna, 27.

Weerasak asked police to brief him the details of the beach and the attack.

Phuket Police chief Pol Maj Gen Decha Butrnamphet reported to him that the Phuket Tourism Association offered Bt100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the murder.

The Nation

Let's hope that instead of just speeding up the inquiry just as a damage limitation exercise on Thailand's reputation they actually catch the guilty party or parties rather than some patsy.

RIP to the girl and condolences to her family and friends.

Such a tragic murder of a young woman....only 27 :o

She must have been surprised, encountering her murderer(s), or not having sensed danger at all because Swedish people are very, very good swimmers and sensing danger she would probably have ran away, into the sea, escaping her 'dressed' attacker(s).

Once in the water it would have been more easy, staying in the water rather than being on land...

But, sorry, yes I know, it's just speculating. :D

LaoPo

CSD joins manhunt for Swedish tourist killer in Phuket

The bangkok-based Crime Suppression Division Sunday deployed its officers to join local police in Phuket to conduct a manhunt for the killer of a Swedish tourist.

Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found dead with multiple stab wounds on Mai Khao Beach in Phuket's Thalang district Saturday afternoon.

CSD Commander Pol Maj Gen Pongphat Chayaphan said he had deployed some officers to help local police to hunt for the killer.

Phongphat said the wounds appeared like being inflicted by a kind of knife of local fishermen so police would question local fishermen and workers at all construction sites near the beach.

The Nation

According to swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet"

Police officer (Sakchai Limcharoen) are 90% sure the attacker is an 31 years old thai.

Eyewitness has seen him run away from the crime with bite mark on one of his hands.

The police has found traces on the victims teeth, proving she had bitten the attacker.

A police source in Phuket has spoken to the Swedish newspaper: "The wife is sure he is the murder"

The police source also says the "He's is on the run from Phuket".

Source (In Swedish): http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article2068672.ab

Edited by PoorSucker

So sad and tragic. May she Rest in Peace. Condolences to all family and friends. Sad. I offer my own reward money to find the perpetrators. If mods know contact info re: reward money please PM me.

Alhtough having the need to wear a safety wistle around my neck wouldn't exactly make me feel safer, I appreciate that Thai authorities are doing an attempt to make the beaches safer.

Nienke

I'm sorry, but I do not think that safety whistles is the best solution. Tourists come to Phuket to relax and enjoy themselves.

'Hi, welcome to Phuket, please wear this safety whistle in case the locals try to rape and rob you....'

Welcome to Phuket!!

The answer is more police and better policing. That means police officers actually walking (heaven forbid) on the beaches and creating a friendly and regular presence.

In my duties as a volunteer Tourist Police Officer, I regularly patrol the southern part of Mai Khao beach, riding my bike and with police id, shirt and cap. In terms of providing a police presence, I am just scratching the surface. But hard work, including foot patrols is the way to improve tourist safety, not issuing whistles to arriving tourists.

Simon

Edited by simon43

She must have been surprised, encountering her murderer(s), or not having sensed danger at all because Swedish people are very, very good swimmers and sensing danger she would probably have ran away, into the sea, escaping her 'dressed' attacker(s).

Once in the water it would have been more easy, staying in the water rather than being on land...

LaoPo

She was Swedish, not a bloody seal.

It would be most helpful if the police actually did patrols and were alert to law breakers. Instead of sitting on their butts most of the time and collecting money from motorists.

whistles

great idea! :o

i can see clearly now - whistle once for robbery, twice for rape, thrice for murder, four short ones for a tsunami and keep whistling if you're helping someone park their car or turn in to a street.... :D

From the Nation today:

Tourism minister? Shouldn't it be someone related to the police?

Female tourists to Phuket will be given safety whistles to blow in case of emergency

I agree it's nice they are trying something but I for one would be worried if on arrival they gave me a safety whistle in case I get attacked.

LaoPo

She bite the attacker to leave DNA trace.

She was got murdered on the beach, it can be long way to get to the water with stab wounds.

Not everybody is an ex-army...

excuse me LaoPo

Not everybody has strength or training to beat an attacker...

Edited by PoorSucker

LaoPo

She bite the attacker to leave DNA trace.

She was got murdered on the beach, it can be long way to get to the water with stab wounds.

Not everybody is an ex-army...

excuse me LaoPo

Not everybody has strength or training to beat an attacker...

I'm afraid you misunderstood and misinterpret what I meant :D

It's likely the girl (in bikini) walked along the beach/water where the sand is hard, not walking in loose sand, and that's why I said she, most probably, wasn't prepared for danger, encountering somebody else, walking along the beach or coming towards the beach also.

IF she would have sensed danger, she would have ran away and in most of such cases someone runs into the sea, escaping from a 'dressed' attacker(s).

But again: speculating, sad enough :D

LaoPo

Poor girl.

If she scratched and bit her attacker, then she may still be able to identify her murderer by DNA comparison.

Just don't know if this method is used in police investigations in Thailand....

Yes, that can be done.

Female tourists to Phuket will be given safety whistles to blow in case of emergency

How do you blow into a whistle when you've been stabbed in the lung or knocked unconscious?

It's not going to get any safer, especially with such a lame police force in place who only react stupidly following such hideous crimes.

Travel advisories are a joke, more severe measures should be taken by a few countries to show that there are far many more safer destinations and that tourists can easily live without Thailand.

Poor girl.

If she scratched and bit her attacker, then she may still be able to identify her murderer by DNA comparison.

Just don't know if this method is used in police investigations in Thailand....

Yes, that can be done.

"can" being the operative word...... but............