The Death Of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

george

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Here's some "perspective" for you.

At least 17 Britons have been murdered in Thailand since 2003 – including Toby Charnaud, brutally slain by his Thai wife. Now, his family want to know why our Government is so reluctant to warn that the 'Land of Smiles' is one of the most dangerous places on earth for its British residents.

Yet, the following year, Charnaud was dead. His fate at the hands of his ex-wife provides a tragic glimpse of an altogether darker aspect of the so-called "Land of Smiles". Thailand has one of the world's highest per-capita murder rates – when the UN last counted it in 2000, it stood at 5,140 per year, though the annual total is now speculated to be more than 6,000. In the years 2003 to 2006, 17 of these victims were UK nationals, according to the FCO. These murders include a sexually motivated killing of a young British woman; a Thai police officer executing two backpackers in a crowded street; shootings, throat cuttings and two cases of other Westerners murdering UK nationals; and, more pertinently, several cases of Thai wives or their family members slaying British husbands.

On average, about 50 civilian UK nationals are murdered around the world each year (excluding terrorist attacks). This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand – a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores.

Andy Pearce, the deputy head of mission at the British Embassy in Bangkok, admits that the murder rate of Britons resident in Thailand is about the same as the domestic Thai rate – roughly five times higher than in the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...ere-769640.html

There is a saying in academia that there are two kinds of statistics: lies and dam_n lies.

However, it is hard to argue these. Thanks for sharing them.

I feel safe here, but these figures are telling and should be considered by all concerned.

^ Here's some "perspective" for you.

At least 17 Britons have been murdered in Thailand since 2003 – including Toby Charnaud, brutally slain by his Thai wife. Now, his family want to know why our Government is so reluctant to warn that the 'Land of Smiles' is one of the most dangerous places on earth for its British residents.

Yet, the following year, Charnaud was dead. His fate at the hands of his ex-wife provides a tragic glimpse of an altogether darker aspect of the so-called "Land of Smiles". Thailand has one of the world's highest per-capita murder rates – when the UN last counted it in 2000, it stood at 5,140 per year, though the annual total is now speculated to be more than 6,000. In the years 2003 to 2006, 17 of these victims were UK nationals, according to the FCO. These murders include a sexually motivated killing of a young British woman; a Thai police officer executing two backpackers in a crowded street; shootings, throat cuttings and two cases of other Westerners murdering UK nationals; and, more pertinently, several cases of Thai wives or their family members slaying British husbands.

On average, about 50 civilian UK nationals are murdered around the world each year (excluding terrorist attacks). This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand – a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores.

Andy Pearce, the deputy head of mission at the British Embassy in Bangkok, admits that the murder rate of Britons resident in Thailand is about the same as the domestic Thai rate – roughly five times higher than in the UK.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/as...ere-769640.html

Thanks for sharing these stats. They are alarming. I am not disputing them but just wanted to put a bit of detail around the sentence "Thailand has one of the world's highest per-capita murder rates". According to the UN study it is 25th highest in the world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_count...y_homicide_rate

Yes it appears to be the worst in SE Asia and indeed the whole APac region. However it comes behind 24 other countries such as Russia, Mexico, Argentina, Lithuania and Jamaica, to name but a few.

Dangerous? Yes. But I still think you have way more chance of coming to an untimely end through mosquito bites.

Got to wonder what the powers that be were trying to achieve with their immediate statements

1. Whistles - as previously pointed out by another poster, are pretty dam_n useless in this country - there would be several rapes a day in every car park in town if you applied that logic. (also, hating to sound so pesamistic, but I wonder who would pay for the whistles which are being issued "free" to female tourists?) - Mace is a most effective deterrant - sold on most street stalls in that area I believe

2. I dont know the beach itself but from my exp of phuket, most beaches attract an onlooker or 2, especially during late morning - is this one particularly secluded or were there a load of witnesses(this happened in broad daylight, right?)? If so, wheres the photofit? Further deduction of movements before/after, some kind of bloody profile? ANY COMMENTS?

3. Whats the latest on the suspect? Surely the cops can tell if they're dealing with more than one perpetrator by the defence wounds? And a mugger who ply's their trade in broad daylight? Sounds odd? More like the work of a genuine radio rentalist to me. And surely, being on the run from phuket should not be enough to derail a search for this guy? I've seen no TV bulletins or National press alerts like we did for that child molester Interpol were after not long ago - so how seriously is this really being treated by local brass? Is there a better solution than whistles?

4. Fortunately for some, the 'war on drugs' will no doubt create more than enough press to overshadow this unforgiveable & vicious act. I just hope the international press are responsible enough to prioritize and report with some dignity.

Heartfelt Condolences to this womans friends and family

I don't think that ANY Amount of CCTV can "prevent" crime, neither suppress it... in case of Singapore I think it's the draconian fines and punishment which suppress crime, i guess.

+ I don't know much about the efficiency of Singapores Finest, guess they are somewhat more advanced then here in Los

How about privacy?...

I think that the draconian fines and punishment has led people to obey the law. To teach their children to obey the law. They could probably loosen up some, and not have any problems, because they have created a law abiding population.

If people in Thailand taught their children to do the right thing and obey the law, then the place would be much better within one generation.

Privacy? If some guy on a camera wants to watch me walk down the road, or sit and read a newspaper, I do not care. If they want to put it in my home, then I care, but when I am out in public, I am in public, so everyone can see what I do.

2. I dont know the beach itself but from my exp of phuket, most beaches attract an onlooker or 2, especially during late morning - is this one particularly secluded or were there a load of witnesses(this happened in broad daylight, right?)? If so, wheres the photofit? Further deduction of movements before/after, some kind of bloody profile? ANY COMMENTS?

It is not a beach that attracts an onlooker or 2 at any time. It is miles long, and normally deserted since there's nothing much there - just sea, sand and trees. In 20 or 30 years it will probably be just like Patong, Karon and Kata are now. But hopefully not.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Akkaradej Tankae was today sentence to life in prison for the murder of ms Hanna Bäcklund, 26, on Mai Khao Beach i Thailand mars 15th 2008.

Akkaradej Tankae confessed the murder and was therefore did not get death penalty.

Today, august 25 Akkaradej Tankae was sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Swedish Hanna Bäcklund, 26, in Mai Khao Beach in Thailand on March 15, writes the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet.

“The punishment for murder was changed from death to life imprisonment because Akkaradej Tankae admitted the crime fully”, said the judge to the Thai press.

Hanna Bäcklund was found dead on the beach on March 15 2008.

Four days later the police arrested Akkaradej Tankae, 31. He was caught near the border to Burma.

He then admitted the offence.

A few days after the murder Thailand’s minister of tourism Weeresak Kowsurat, 43, made a visit to Phuket and said that the site would be made safer.

“We believe and hope that this is an individual event and not an accurate picture of Phuket today. But we are going to increase security, "said Weeresak Kowsurat to Aftonbladet March 17, 2008.

Source: ScandAsia

The death penalty takes him into nothingness, the big void where no pain or suffering exists, just like whe you re comfortably asleep every night, too easy. The death sentence should be upheld but they should remain in jail their entire life never knowing when execution day comes around, IF it ever does, that`s payback.

There appears to be a contradiction here. The sentence was the lesser life imprisonment as the judge says a full confession was made. However the Bangkok Post states his confession was retracted.

Let's hope this case does not pan out like the case of the murder of Kelvin Bourke. (where the police just framed anybody).