The Death Of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

george

LaoPao, technical note but I believe it was a one-piece swimsuit, not a bikini.

It may be of interest to some of you (without dragging this completely off-topic) to note that there's a very similar situation right now related to another large tourist destination in Asia: Goa. For some reason, this has made a much bigger impact on international news (at least on the BBC). The local government has already announced their resolve to put out more military patrols to increase confidence and security.

"S"

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a tragic murder of a young woman....only 27 :o

She must have been surprised, encountering her murderer(s), or not having sensed danger at all because Swedish people are very, very good swimmers and sensing danger she would probably have ran away, into the sea, escaping her 'dressed' attacker(s).

Once in the water it would have been more easy, staying in the water rather than being on land...

But, sorry, yes I know, it's just speculating. :D

LaoPo

She bite the attacker to leave DNA trace.

She was got murdered on the beach, it can be long way to get to the water with stab wounds.

Not everybody is an ex-army...

excuse me LaoPo

Not everybody has strength or training to beat an attacker...

I'm afraid you misunderstood and misinterpret what I meant :D

It's likely the girl (in bikini) walked along the beach/water where the sand is hard, not walking in loose sand, and that's why I said she, most probably, wasn't prepared for danger, encountering somebody else, walking along the beach or coming towards the beach also.

IF she would have sensed danger, she would have ran away and in most of such cases someone runs into the sea, escaping from a 'dressed' attacker(s).

But again: speculating, sad enough :D

LaoPo

A bit ridiculous making speculations like that don't you think? And I really don't think an attacker who intends to rape and murder someone is really that bothered about getting their clothes wet.

sad news but 100,000 bht is an insult. hope they find the truth.

In averaged Thai terms this amount represents the typical annual income.

Equating it to more developed countries the reward would amount, say in the UK, to approximately 20,000GBP.

A reasonable sum for information leading to the apprehension of any miscreant.

Perhaps those writhing in indignation should reflect upon the reality of Thailand and temper their outrage accordingly.

LaoPao, technical note but I believe it was a one-piece swimsuit, not a bikini.

It may be of interest to some of you (without dragging this completely off-topic) to note that there's a very similar situation right now related to another large tourist destination in Asia: Goa. For some reason, this has made a much bigger impact on international news (at least on the BBC). The local government has already announced their resolve to put out more military patrols to increase confidence and security.

"S"

This is from George's OP post:

"She was wearing a black bikini top with the cords at the back undone, and light blue bikini briefs." but it could have been a 1-piece swimsuit, I don't know.

And, yes the murder of the British girl in Goa, also on a beach (she was only 15) drew a lot of attention, also because the mother was traveling with her other children and left the her daughter, Scarlett Keeling, in the care of a 25-year-old tour guide.

It's a huge case in India.

And madjbs: Yes, it's a bit ridiculous making speculations. You're correct.

I made an error.

LaoPo

I just hope they apprehend the real assailant(s) and not some rounded-up indigent to take the rap,

LOS isn't yet as dangerous as say Mexico, etc, but it is alarming the apparent escalation in random violence against tourist, particularly female.

Even if the perpetrators are brought to justice there is no happy ending to any of this, just makes you sick. :o

Interesting, LP, 'cause I was sure there was another news post which described her as in a one-piece... well, that's the news for you.

Ah, here we are- quoted from the Phuket Gazette by SRJ in the closed thread:

Her body, dressed in a one-piece swimsuit, was found about 11:30 am on the beach around 300 meters from Mai Khao Beach Bungalow, where she was staying, Lt Col Somkid said.

So so sad, RIP and my sincere condolences to her family and friends.

I am so shocked to hear this happened late morning/midday in Phuket which is such a well known tourist destination. :o

As an aside, I agree with several posters above that an ACTIVE police patrolling presence may help deter and prevent future attacks and crimes. More initiative needs to be shown by ALL Thai Police and not just the Volunteer/Tourist Police. (Well done Simon for getting out and about when you are on patrol).

RIP Hanna, our thoughts are with you.

Edited by Andiamo

RIP.

Violence occurs all over the world, not just in Thailand. However, Thailand needs step up to the plate and make their country safer not only for the tourists, but for their own citizens.

I have been to that beach before. It is pretty deserted...although I feel like people should be able to be safe walking along that beach (or any beach for that matter) during the daytime (night time would not be such a good idea...)

No matter what, she did not deserve this. No one deserves that kind of death. I am going to Phuket in june and I hope they catch who ever did this to her soon. Of course, the suspect(s) probably fled Phuket.

Why?

Why, is the question all people ask them self and others, to why such happened?

Hanna’s parents will ask that, and they will ask that question for the rest of their lives, why it happened to their daughter? Me, as a father of children my thoughts are with you, it should not be like this.

Hanna’s travel friend will have many thought of why it happened, and no decision to what you could have done to prevent this from happening would change anything, it happened. We all live our own lives and we alone choose to make and do what it makes to live. It may be the right decision and it could be the wrong one, but in the end that is how we humans live, freedom and wisdom of choices. Walking around alone is never a good choice, anywhere on this planet.

Why? Will authorities ask and how can they stop or prevent acts such as Hanna’s or Scarlett’s tragic deaths. Well basic education and basic human respect are needed, civil courage and mental good health. We do all know that there are way too many uneducated, socially misplaced, scared and crazy people out there.

Outrageous and naive proposals from authorities will not change this.

Why? Is the question we as the public ask when we are confronted with news as Hanna’s death, what could have stopped or prevented this from happening? Civil courage is one of the strongest way we can act, not liked by authorities, but it is needed, voice your concerns and do not be afraid to intervene.

Good ideas or speculations passed on in this forum cannot help Hanna, but may help others! Keep them coming, we are here to criticize and support such ideas.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Hanna Bäcklund.

Hello.

I hope that if they catch the murderer(s) they will be sentenced to death, too. Not because of the crime only, but because of the fact it was planned (pre-mediated? Sorry not too familiar with those terms in English).

Or would YOU go for a walk on the beach and bring a KNIFE along???

The attacker brought that knife for the reason that he/they planned to attack someone. Poor girl, was there at the wrong time.

Still not a reason to drag Thailand thru the mud, such type of crime, as horrible as they are, happens in every country, every day. Lucky Thailand still has death sentence, which i am support for this type of crime (but in this case, should be executed by a knife!).

Best regards.....

Thanh

Since Thailand is quite dependent on tourism (especially places like Phuket), it's important for the police presence to be noticable. It is a deterent if they are doing their job. Tourists everywhere are particularly vulnerable because they don't know the 'lay of the land' so to speak. They can easily wander into places where locals wouldn't readily go.

I very, very much doubt that this poor young lady could have done much, since mid-day on the beach seems like about as safe a bet as there is.

The problem with whistles and pepper spray is that they can give a false sense of security. They may be worthwhile, but an attacker can pretty easily knock a whistle out of someone's mouth.

Update:

Murderer of Swedish tourist arrested

PHUKET: -- Thai police have captured the man responsible for the brutal murder of a Swedish tourist on the resort town of Phuket on Sunday night.

Authorities identified the man as Akradej Pianjay, 32, a fisherman who had moored his boat around Chatchai pier on the day of the murder. He has confessed to the crime and affirmed that he had acted alone.

The arrest was made based on eyewitness accounts and evidence linking the man to the case such as scratches seen on his body - a sign of struggle which points to his victim desperately trying to fight him off.

His arrest comes two days after 27-year-old Swedish tourist Charotta Hanna was found dead on Mai Khao beach with several stab wounds to her body.

-- Bangkok Post 2008-03-18

SUSPECT ARRESTED & MiniVDO: The Thai minister of Tourism and Sports inspected the location where the Swedish tourist was murdered and visited the victim’s friend at the hospital to convey his condolences.

BREAKING UPDATE: WE HAVE JUST HEARD TUESDAY MORNING POLICE HAVE ARRESTED A SUSPECT WHO CONFESSED TO THE MURDER.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=216512

Following the murder of a Swedish tourist, Hanna Charlotta Backlund (pronounced Becklund, her name has 2 dots above the A in Backlund) on Mai Khao beach in northern Phuket last Saturday, the Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat visited Phuket late Sunday night to ask police to speed up the probe into the murder of the tourist. Mr. Weerasak asked police to brief him on the details of the beach and the attack before inspecting the crime location yesterday morning. He affirmed that the authority will do its best and quick, fair investigation to bring the criminal(s) to justice. The minister also went on to visit the victim’s girl friend who is undergoing post trauma treatment at Phuket International Hospital. The minister told reporters that the friend knows that the Thai government is seriously working on searching for the murderer(s). He also vowed to quickly restore confidence in tourist safety as well as work with travel agents and explain the facts to Swedish media, work with local governments to ensure better safety, and distribute alert whistles; as he told more to a Swedish journalist and our reporter after the site inspection:

A viewer also informed Andaman News that a memorial is being organized for Ms. Backlund and to vigil against hate crime directed at women across the globe, next Saturday, March 22 at 10:30 AM on the site of her murder, Mai Khao Beach, North Phuket, Thalang district. He invites people to come by looking for bright pink signs, bringing hope and peace. He said the “Vigil is against Violence and to do nothing is no longer an alternative”. For further info, email [email protected] or Telephone 084 842 4581

MiniVDO: Police state that there is much progress in the murder case after obtaining useful information from witnesses.

To see or download mini-video, go to http://news.prd.go.th/news_detail.php?newsid=216511

A integrated operation centre comprising city police, tourist police, crime suppression and forensic officers is established to work on the Swedish tourist murder case to ensure that the wrong doers are swiftly brought to justice. Located at the Tha Chartchai check point, the joint force will hold a meeting at 10 o’clock everyday to report on any progress, according to the Provincial Police chief Decha Butnampet. He further stated that the investigation is much in progress due to information from witnesses and evidence at the crime scene, which should lead to the arrest of criminal(s). Phuket Police chief Pol Maj Gen Decha Butrnamphet revealed that the Phuket Tourism Association offered a 100,000 baht reward for information leading to the arrest of the murder(s). Meanwhile Miss Backlund’s body has been sent to Bangkok and is to be repatriated to her home country by the Swedish Embassy.

Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) at 8.30am & local Cable TV channel 1 + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Tuesday 18 March 2008 & http://news.prd.go.th

Edited by TV Channel 11

Update:

Murderer of Swedish tourist arrested..

PHUKET: -- Thai police have captured the man responsible for the brutal murder of a Swedish tourist on the resort town of Phuket on Sunday night.

Authorities identified the man as Akradej Pianjay, 32, a fisherman who had moored his boat around Chatchai pier on the day of the murder. He has confessed to the crime and affirmed that he had acted alone.

The arrest was made based on eyewitness accounts and evidence linking the man to the case such as scratches seen on his body - a sign of struggle which points to his victim desperately trying to fight him off.

His arrest comes two days after 27-year-old Swedish tourist Charotta Hanna was found dead on Mai Khao beach with several stab wounds to her body>>>>>>>>>>>

the Post is running the following on the online breaking news banner right now at 10:30 Am Tuesday. Notice her name is still being reported incorrectly, ( it is Hanna Backlund according to Sweden Consulate in Phuket)

(BangkokPost.com) - Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat has arrived in Phuket to inspect the scene of the murder of a Swedish female tourist on Mai Khao beach on Sunday night.

The deputy governor of Phuket province, Worapot Rattasima, said initial reports point to the murderer being a local who lives near the crime scene. Police are treating this as a very serious case and are doing all they can to track down the murderer.

The dead victim has been identified by police as 27-year-old Charotta Hanna.

Update:

His arrest comes two days after 27-year-old Swedish tourist Charotta Hanna was found dead on Mai Khao beach with several stab wounds to her body.

I hope they found the right guy. I'd love to see some more news about DNA, or something solidly linking this man to the murder.

There have been a lot of posts about "these crimes happen all over the world", I for one know that when I hear about a murder in England, or America, I don't feel as alarmed as when I do here. For those tourists shot in PAI, and I believe his name was "Dale Henry?" Killed up near Ranong by his wife's hired killer, and this crime, in thailand as a foriegner, it just seems more like an Us---Them type of conflict. Whereas news from my home coutries, I just feel sympathy for the victim, here I feel wary and unrest along with sympathy.

What do you guys think? Anyone share the same feelings?

First my condolences to the poor girl's family. It must be horrible to lose your daughter in such an evil way.

It takes one brainless idiot to do such harm.

I think that our perception of crime in Thailand is absolutely different than that of back home.

Back home when we have problems, we feel that in most cases we can fight it off. We have rights.

Here in Thailand, I am afraid we are rather helpless. We cannot stand up against the Thais, we cannot fight them, we cannot overcome them in court, etc.. We are in a weak position here, almost defenseless. And that's, in my opinion, the reason that most of us over perceive crime against farangs. Just a thought.

Update:

I hope they found the right guy. I'd love to see some more news about DNA, or something solidly linking this man to the murder.

There have been a lot of posts about "these crimes happen all over the world", I for one know that when I hear about a murder in England, or America, I don't feel as alarmed as when I do here. For those tourists shot in PAI, and I believe his name was "Dale Henry?" Killed up near Ranong by his wife's hired killer, and this crime, in thailand as a foriegner, it just seems more like an Us---Them type of conflict. Whereas news from my home coutries, I just feel sympathy for the victim, here I feel wary and unrest along with sympathy.

What do you guys think? Anyone share the same feelings?

Authorities identified the man as Akradej Pianjay, 32, a fisherman

He has confessed to the crime

This arrest brings up alot of memories of the murder a few years back in Koh Samui, where a young welsh girl ( correct me if i am wrong ) called catherine was raped and murdered.

Again with this case, a fisherman was arrested for the crime and confessed the next day after being arrested..... and again this happened after a high profile goverment figure visted the site.

The suspect was found guilty in court and sentanced to Death..... but guess what he is still alive, and i have heard he is actually free as they had the wrong man....

Could this be the case again here?????? High profile figure comes to Phuket so the police arrest the Fisherman? easy target for them? - also to get a confession in 1 day??? - all does not seem right here?

Any one else view the same.....

CORRECTION UPDATE: POLICE HAVE ONLY ISSUED WARRANT FOR A SUSPECT, WHO IS STILL ON THE RUN.

Whoa. Then we have a serious disconnect...because the news is reporting that not only is the suspect in custody, he also confessed to the crime. What is going on here?

CORRECTION UPDATE: POLICE HAVE ONLY ISSUED WARRANT FOR A SUSPECT, WHO IS STILL ON THE RUN.

Whoa. Then we have a serious disconnect...because the news is reporting that not only is the suspect in custody, he also confessed to the crime. What is going on here?

Maybe he phoned in his confession?

It seems the source for the arrested story was not mentioned, however POst is now running the arrested story. Are they coming here for news?

I too was wondering about the Catherine case, why I hadn't heard anymore but assumed the fisherman's lawyer was appealing that death sentence.

Thank you Channel 11 for publicizing the memorial, sorry to the moderator for posting it twice but I think the thread was deleted

First my condolences to the poor girl's family. It must be horrible to lose your daughter in such an evil way.

It takes one brainless idiot to do such harm.

I think that our perception of crime in Thailand is absolutely different than that of back home.

Back home when we have problems, we feel that in most cases we can fight it off. We have rights.

Here in Thailand, I am afraid we are rather helpless. We cannot stand up against the Thais, we cannot fight them, we cannot overcome them in court, etc.. We are in a weak position here, almost defenseless. And that's, in my opinion, the reason that most of us over perceive crime against farangs. Just a thought.

Why live there then?

One of the reasons I left a long time ago.

Let's hope they have the right Man and they get a grip on these crimes.

so many conflicting stories. but either way, it sounds like they have almost pinned someone for this pathetic crime.

whether she was wearing a bikini, one piece swimsuit or a boiler suit isnt the issue here. the fact is that a lone woman was attacked and killed for no apparent reason in a place she assumed was perfectly safe.

whistles will not save the lives of anyone who is attacked in the future. if i were handed a whistle at the airport (or wherever they plan on handing them out) i would more than likely put it in my bag and think 'geez, they have got to be kidding'. its a kneejerk token and only initiated to make the authorities feel better in my opinion.

may hanna rest in peace and may her friend and those she leaves behind eventually recover from this shocking crime. lets hope that her death is not in vain and that something is done to assure the safety of women, both thai and western, all over thailand.