The Death Of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

george

1205819690.jpg

Arrest warrant out for suspected killer of Swedish tourist

PHUKET, March 18 (TNA) - A Thai court-approved arrest warrant has been issued for a local man suspected of the brutal killing of a Swedish tourist last Saturday in this popular resort island, local police announced on Tuesday.

Charlotta Hanna, 27, a Swedish national, was found dead Saturday at popular Mai Kao beach. Police said she had been attacked and stabbed in the neck.

Phuket provincial governor Nirand Galyanamitra and Police Maj-Gen. Decha Butnampetr, provincial police commissioner, jointly announced at a news conference here that the suspect, identified as Akradej Tanke, 31, is being sought under an arrest warrant.

The suspect was believed to have fled his home in Phuket's Thalang district and gone to the southern province of Chumphon after the murder, the governor said.

"A largr-scale manhunt by the combined police forces of Phuket and Chumphon is now underway to bring him to justice as the case has tarnished the tourism industry," said Mr. Nirand.

Mr. Akradej was convicted on a charge of theft in 2006, and has changed his name many times, he added.

A cash reward of Bt100,000 (US$3,225) has been offered for any clues leading to the arrest of the murderer.

The Swedish embassy earlier dispatched an official to assist in the police investigation. (TNA)-E001

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always felt that perhaps the police force's first duty here is not prevention but rather follow up after something has already happened. At least judging by the local police force's behavior, patrolling does not really occur, neither does enforcement of traffic laws. But rather, they show up after someone has already been hurt in an accident or has already been robbed (or in this case) murdered.

Perhaps they are not trained in prevention or the idea that they are there to ensure the safety of the population? I don't know, its just something I've always wondered, that perhaps the entire concept of a police force in this country is not "protect and serve" like we in the western nations are used to but rather something different.

On the surface it looks like the police made a speedy arrest. Yet, looking at many posts here I see the assumpition is that the police in this case have made huge mistakes and probably arrested the wrong man?

I want to know how the members can judge this- is it a matter of having sources outside the media, or is it the ability of reading between the lines?: when the news says that someone has confessed that this means they are innocent?

Please note that the Bangkok Post article stating he has been arrested has been removed from their website.

MAI KHAO: Police have been issued an arrest warrant for Phuket native Akkaradej “Chon” Tunkae, 31, a local resident in Mai Khao, for the murder of Swedish tourist Hanna Backlund, 26.

Hanna was found stabbed to death on Mai Khao Beach about 300 meters from where she was staying. Her body was discovered by Emma Stenman, who Hanna was holidaying with at the time.

At a press conference at Phuket Provincial Hall at 9:45 am, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Decha Butnampeth said that Akkaradej is believed to be in Chumphon. “On the morning of March 16 [the day after the murder], he called his wife and told her that he was in Chumphon with his daughter.

“We are working closely with Chumphon police to find him,” he said.

“Before he left, he was seen with wounds on three fingers of his right hand. His middle finger, ring finger and little finger all had plasters [band aids] on them,” Gen Decha said.

Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit said, “After questioning about 12 local villagers, including his wife, it was discovered that he liked to hide and look at foreign women who went swimming at the beach. He seemed obsessed.

“He cleaned swimming pools and did gardening for some local government offices. He was separated from ex-his wife and had remarried. He has one daughter from his ex-wife and he lived about eight kilometers from the scene [of the murder],” he said.

In 2006, Akkaradej was charged by Cherng Talay Police with robbery and later found guilty, Gen Decha said.

At that time Akkaradej used the name “Tatchai”. He changed his name after being released from prison, he added.

Source: Phuket Gazette

The answer is more police and better policing.

Simon

More Police???

Thailand has one of the largest Police forces in the World with some quarter million officers. Per capita it's also one of the biggest with around 1 officer for every 250 citizens.

How many more do you think are required? Half a million? A million?

Let's be honest - until there is a complete restructuring and rethink of the Police force in Thailand it will remain wholly corrupt, inept and a disgrace to the country.

The answer is government warnings and education of visitors that Thailand can be an extremely dangerous place.

I think we owe the victims that much at least.

Well well you are absolutely right:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_pol_...lice-per-capita

I am amazed. Thailand comes at 14th highest in the world with 3.36 police per 1000 people. This is higher than most European countries.

Singapore is not even shown on this chart, so I am not sure what the ratio is there. What I do know is you hardly ever see the Police but it has almost no crime. Crime is stopped by Hi-Tech solutions such as CCTV, a culture of zero tolerance to crime, harsh punishments and very little corruption either in the Police or the Government.

Edited by ade100

I think the Bangkok post need to get their act together , not only the cock up with the report this morning at around 9 am, but this latest report at 6 pm is totally out of order..the poor girl was stabbed not “hacked to death” as their latest rubbish states :o

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=126586

Edited by terryp

The only way anything will be done is if western/farang governments issue travel warnings about the LOS(G)

Always, but there are many more crimes likes this in Sweden every month..... :D

This above is the usual answer to most murders that are posted on here. :o

At the end of the day it is nothing like any other country, nothing at all. I dont see beggars in Sweden with the limbs cut off, that were cut off at birth to raise a few baht for the mafia... Here, there is no value on life in many areas and especially the remote ones.

This country has become so violent since the coup... And remember Phuket is not a huge place in terms of people living there fulltime.. I would like someone to put the stats together and then compare to the rest of the world in terms of muders per capita..

Violence is an hourly occurance in Phuket... Just this year I have had 2 mates (different nights / days) be held up by a gun weilding idiot and robbed. 1 guy was hacked to death with a machete in Kata / Rawai... This is just people I know.

In my 40 years of life in many countries in the world I have travelled, I dont know of more than 1 person that I knew that died a violent death - and I have been to some of the worst shitholes on this planet.

Anyway, I hope this lady rests in peace and Im saddened yet again how Phuket has become so awful for toursits to visit.. If they are not getting ripped off from the airport down to the hotels, to being fleeced by low lifes, they also now have to wait and see if they are another statistic.

RIP! :D

Edited by advice

Simon

More Police???

Thailand has one of the largest Police forces in the World with some quarter million officers. Per capita it's also one of the biggest with around 1 officer for every 250 citizens.

Let's be honest - until there is a complete restructuring and rethink of the Police force in Thailand it will remain wholly corrupt, inept and a disgrace to the country.

The answer is government warnings and education of visitors that Thailand can be an extremely dangerous place.

Well well you are absolutely right:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_pol_...lice-per-capita

I am amazed. Thailand comes at 14th highest in the world with 3.36 police per 1000 people. This is higher than most European countries.

Singapore is not even shown on this chart, so I am not sure what the ratio is there. What I do know is you hardly ever see the Police but it has almost no crime. Crime is stopped by Hi-Tech solutions such as CCTV, a culture of zero tolerance to crime, harsh punishments and very little corruption either in the Police or the Government.

re above.. Its now how many police per capita, it comes down to training and being bothered... most have none of those attributes.

Put some money on the table and they might spring into action.

They need to get local police out of local areas and bring the whole force in from another province... No more Free Let Offs to their school friends.

Concerning my comment re the need for more police, I should clarify by saying that they need more police to look after tourists. I'm sure there are many. many highway/traffic police etc, but I don't think they are much help to visting tourists :o

Simon

Concerning my comment re the need for more police, I should clarify by saying that they need more police to look after tourists. I'm sure there are many. many highway/traffic police etc, but I don't think they are much help to visting tourists :o

Simon

what like the tourist police?? another waste of money..

no disrespect to you Simon, Im just sick of the whole force. having dealt with many of them over the years, they could not give a hoot about safety for foreigners..no money no time!

To family and friends who may be reading, we all offer our deepest sympathies.

You must be deeply shocked.

We all hope change will occur here; I doubt that hope can comfort you at all at this time, but perhaps it might in the future, if Hanna's death can help bring change.

If any of us here can help in any way, please let us know.

I had just one, perhaps strange thought (entirely without blame or implications) - Hanna's friend was reported to have felt anxious after Hanna had been walking for just half an hour. I wonder why. Perhaps she sensed something wrong.

Please see aftonbladet.com for pictures and an article in Swedish

www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article2075058.ab

post-13995-1205844542_thumb.jpg Hanna Backlund*, 26, from Umea - Sweden. RIP

In honour of Hanna Backlund :o

The last name Backlund is spelled with two dots on the 'a'.

Photo from: Aftonbladet - Sweden.

LaoPo

The belief is that the perpetrators may have been passers-by who saw Hanna walking by herself with nobody else around and decided to rape her, as suggested by the undone straps at the back of her bikini top. When the victim tried to resist, struggle and scream for help, they used a sharp knife to stab her. The victim tried to cover herself with her hands, but failed and was stabbed to death, after which the perpetrators escaped.

What a top country this is. You go for walk along the beach outside of your holiday villa and minding their own business and some Thai/s decide to rape you. Of course, its your fault because it wouldn't have happened if you were not in Thailand and because you provoked them with your white skin and lack of clothes.

Now here we are once again talking about a rape which was likely not premeditated where the unfortunate victim just happens to be the one who was going to get raped but rather that the guy was out for another probably innocent reason but thought he'd have at go and rape her because ? well perhaps some Thai bloke can tell me why because I don't have a clue. I see Thai women on the beach all day long and yet have any inclination to rape them. Just because he probably thought he could get away with it she became "fair game". What is wrong with these people ? Where are the morals ?

My sincerest apologies from my adopted country for the awful attack perpetrated by one of their people. I hope justice is swift and brutal.

Where is the time that we could leave our bikes unlocked, doors of our house unlocked, loose our wallet on the street and someone finding it giving it back to you.

Walk the streets/beach at night without the fear of being robbed or possibly killed.

Go to the beach and leave your valuables unprotected when you go for a swim.

What has happened with our world and the people we live with?

About 10- 15 years ago I could do all of the above without ever being afraid of someone that would steal something from me or attack me to get my money.

What has happened and why?

Where is the time that we could leave our bikes unlocked, doors of our house unlocked, loose our wallet on the street and someone finding it giving it back to you.

Walk the streets/beach at night without the fear of being robbed or possibly killed.

Go to the beach and leave your valuables unprotected when you go for a swim.

What has happened with our world and the people we live with?

About 10- 15 years ago I could do all of the above without ever being afraid of someone that would steal something from me or attack me to get my money.

What has happened and why?

Just look at the examples set by those running the country - politicians and those with money and power - and ordinary people who think that to encourage their kids to cheat and bribe and lie is acceptable behaviour.....

... and you should not need to ask these questions....

Believe me, the moral fabric of Thai society is infinitely worse than it was 35 years ago.

I fear it will only get worse.

RIP Hanna Charlotta

At the end of the day it is nothing like any other country, nothing at all. I dont see beggars in Sweden with the limbs cut off, that were cut off at birth to raise a few baht for the mafia... Here, there is no value on life in many areas and especially the remote ones.

Having once spent nearly a decade living in very remote areas up north, areas with no electricity and roads that were impassable by four-wheeled vehicles during the rains without the use of a front winch, I did not find these rural neighbors to be any more or less violent than either their more connected rural neighbors or their more urban cousins. The vast majority value life dearly.

That being said, the culture does not easily allow for the expression of emotion, the cultural preference is for jai yen which was an excellent survival strategy in the not-too-distant feudal past where the rulers were literally cao chiwit, lords of life and the populace was largely serfs and slaves. That same strategy is less effective in the socially more ambiguous modern world. Thai men and women, when they get overwhelmed by emotions, tend to lack what we might perceive as adult control of those emotions, as they were rarely allowed to learn how to handle these emotions other than being told jai yen and keep it bottled up. And so with the men, they tend to get physically violent when the emotions do burst forth and we see much higher levels of violence than in some other countries. It does not help that many of the role models on Thai TV, specifically the Thai soap operas, mostly portray adults with the social skills of a young teenager.

The belief is that the perpetrators may have been passers-by who saw Hanna walking by herself with nobody else around and decided to rape her, as suggested by the undone straps at the back of her bikini top. When the victim tried to resist, struggle and scream for help, they used a sharp knife to stab her. The victim tried to cover herself with her hands, but failed and was stabbed to death, after which the perpetrators escaped.

What a top country this is. You go for walk along the beach outside of your holiday villa and minding their own business and some Thai/s decide to rape you. Of course, its your fault because it wouldn't have happened if you were not in Thailand and because you provoked them with your white skin and lack of clothes.

Now here we are once again talking about a rape which was likely not premeditated where the unfortunate victim just happens to be the one who was going to get raped but rather that the guy was out for another probably innocent reason but thought he'd have at go and rape her because ? well perhaps some Thai bloke can tell me why because I don't have a clue. I see Thai women on the beach all day long and yet have any inclination to rape them. Just because he probably thought he could get away with it she became "fair game". What is wrong with these people ? Where are the morals ?

My sincerest apologies from my adopted country for the awful attack perpetrated by one of their people. I hope justice is swift and brutal.

I share your outrage and revulsion at this appauling crime. But let us be fair: There are rapists and murderers in all countries of the world. No one has been convicted of this crime yet so we don't even know the nationality of the perpetrator.

An arrest warrant has been issued...

But look the article from TNA.. There is a police ID picture of the guy...

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=3326

It means : the suspect was arrested before by the police in another case/investigation.... Recidivist ?

Pffuh!

You trust what the most corrupt police force I know says because they have a picture of a fisherman?

For all we know, they could've picked a picture of a fisherman with a known criminal record in a filing cabinet and marked him as the murderer no matter what. He could even be involved with them in some other sh!t and he's just become their prime candidate. Scratch him here and there upon his arrest and voilà! Been done before and can be done again. The brown uniforms never cease to amaze with their scams and incompetence.

Simon

More Police???

Actually, it`s come to a point where warnings are pointless and the Thai government doesn't give a sh!t. They even have the nerve to say they want to double the number of tourists in a few years. :o

What they need is some serious humiliation on an international level, severe loss of face caused by a country that decides that from tomorrow on, none of it`s citizens travels to Thailand until they some concrete and tangible sense of responsibility for tourist safety is shown, not only regarding murders, attacks and thefts, but road safety which is probably the #1 killer of tourists followed by murders. It only takes one country to take the first step, there are plenty of other much safer places to travel to.

Without any gestures like this, nothing will ever be done for travelers AND the Thai population. Complacency will rule as it does now. Money comes in, body bags fly out, more tourists come in, more bodybags fly out. My wife confirms it all the time, FEAR and THREATS are the police's protection tool that compensates for their incompetence and chronic corruption. Successive governments are also to blame for never seeking any real improvement from their part.

I've always felt that perhaps the police force's first duty here is not prevention but rather follow up after something has already happened. At least judging by the local police force's behavior, patrolling does not really occur, neither does enforcement of traffic laws. But rather, they show up after someone has already been hurt in an accident or has already been robbed (or in this case) murdered.

Perhaps they are not trained in prevention or the idea that they are there to ensure the safety of the population? I don't know, its just something I've always wondered, that perhaps the entire concept of a police force in this country is not "protect and serve" like we in the western nations are used to but rather something different.

The actual work they do is dismal compared to what actually goes on in this country, too busy running scams and other non-police related activities.

Edited by Tony Clifton

RIP....This is so so sad.

It makes me angry as hel_l that things like this keep happening over and over and over and over, GET IT !!!

Wake UP ! Thailand is not a place to take a family or bring your loved ones. Until they clean it up people should boycott this place. It is ONLY then that they will understand that they need to take real action to clean up this sh-t hole of crime. We are now fair game for the local crime bunch. The good hearted, respectful ideas of this land are gone. We are only looked at for our money and not as real people. Why do we see these things happening almost every week and don't react to them ? Do we not care ? Is it none of our business ? Will it never happen to us ? Are we part of the problem ? What the He-l is going on here ??? It's time to demand action from the government. Stand up and let people know enough is enough. :o

It has just been on local television. The suspect caled police and gave himself up. He had fled to Koh Son. That is according to what my wife told me. She initially thought it was another Ranong killing, but when she said Hannah, that rang a bell that I had read something here.

BREAKING: The man responsible for the brutal murder of Swedish tourist has now turned himself in to police after he has fled to Ranong

At 7 am today police brought back the suspect a 31 year old man Akradej Tanke, allegedly responsible for the brutal murder of a Swedish tourist Hanna Charlotta Backlund. The murder happened on Phuket’s Mai Khao beach, north of the airport on Saturday. The man requested to turn himself in with Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Police region 8 Pol. Major. General Thavat Bunfueng. This was after he had been hiding at Koh Song on the Burmese side of Ranong province. His family also went to see him to ensure his safety. Police initially questioned Akradet who did not seem to be tense. He then confessed to have killed the victim after attempting rape, but the woman tried to defend herself. He told police that he committed crime due to family stress.

The man is now being brought for further questioning at Thachart chai police station and a press conference is scheduled to be held today at 10 o’clock.

Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) at 8.30am & local Cable TV channel 1 + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Wednesday 19 March 2008 & http://news.prd.go.th

I may be being pedantic, but what exactly is the 'Burmese side of Ranong province'? Is this referring to actually being in Burma?

In the earlier reports it sounded as if there was more than one perpetrator. Are there any reports on this or is the sole perpetrator?

I'm happy the suspect is in custody. I'll be interested in how police progress with this...and if the physical evidence will support the confession of the suspect. My guess is that the Thai authorities will quickly bring this case to trial and that the suspect will receive the maximum penalty because as much as anything else, the crime "damaged tourism" as more than one public official has said.

I realize that a lot of posters don't have confidence in the Royal Thai Police, but my experience with them is that when they are properly motivated they can be very efficient. There is a lethargy within the ranks, however, that is maddening for outsiders who have to deal with them.

It always amazes me how efficient the cops are when it's a potential case of loss of face in the international community. They always seem to catch their man in these cases. Like many of you (I'm assuming), I have my doubts as to whether this is the actual culprit.