The Death Of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

george

Female tourists to Phuket will be given safety whistles to blow in case of emergency

Female tourists visiting the Thai island of Phuket will be given whistles to sound in case of an emergency, the Tourism Ministry said Monday, two days after the murder of a Swedish woman in broad daylight.

The whistles are part of a campaign to increase security on Phuket, one of Thailand's most popular tourist destinations, after the shocking killing of 27-year-old Hanna Charlotta Backlund of Sweden, said Tourism Minister Weerasak Kohsurat.

Backlund was stabbed to death Saturday while taking a walk on Mai Khao beach, on the northern tip of Phuket. Her attacker remains at large.

The safety whistles will be shaped like the symbol commonly used to designate women _ a circle above a cross _ and can be worn around the neck, said Phuket police Maj. Sathabhorn Sangaunsuk, who will be overseeing the project.

The ministry also plans to increase the presence of security guards around the island and publish safety manuals that will be distributed to tourists, the minister said in a statement.

Authorities said the plan was just devised and they did not immediately know when distribution of whistles would begin.

©2008 The Associated Press.

Hmm, safety whistles. How about a beach patrol! If the bloody police in this country would actually patrol around instead of sitting at the traffic lights looking for a cyclist with no safety helmet they might actually prevent a crime instead of simply framing the next poor fool for it.

Of course with the problem that the coppers themselves seem quite partial to knocking off tourists themselves, better not ask them to do it.

To put it simply, being off the beaten track (alone on a dark street is enough) in this country is getting more and more dangerous. The embassies must start issuing travel warnings about how wary tourists (particularly single females) must be if they wander off alone. This is a terrible murder and shows how the average bonehead Thai male seeing a woman alone in a bikini has absolutely no ability to control himself. In fact history has shown that the coppers will simply frame a poor fisherman, so the odds on getting away with it are pretty good. History has shown also that the more important the person commiting the crime the more likely they are to get away with it.

Lawlessness and violent crimes against tourists/franags are sky rocketing in Thailand. For all those times I scoffed at paranoid tourists about safety, saying "Thailand is a very safe country", I truly apologise. Farangs are getting murdered weekly in Thailand at the moment, and forget the war on drugs, the tourism industry needs co-operation from everyone to stop people avoiding Thailand because it is becoming essentially a dangerous place to holiday other than in a 5 star environment.

My sister travelled around a couple of years ago, and with me living here I pleaded with her to be very wary of where she went alone.

This is no place to escape on one's own anymore.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING: The man responsible for the brutal murder of Swedish tourist has now turned himself in to police after he has fled to Ranong

At 7 am today police brought back the suspect a 31 year old man Akradej Tanke, allegedly responsible for the brutal murder of a Swedish tourist Hanna Charlotta Backlund. The murder happened on Phuket’s Mai Khao beach, north of the airport on Saturday. The man requested to turn himself in with Deputy Commander-in-Chief of the Police region 8 Pol. Major. General Thavat Bunfueng. This was after he had been hiding at Koh Song on the Burmese side of Ranong province. His family also went to see him to ensure his safety. Police initially questioned Akradet who did not seem to be tense. He then confessed to have killed the victim after attempting rape, but the woman tried to defend herself. He told police that he committed crime due to family stress.

The man is now being brought for further questioning at Thachart chai police station and a press conference is scheduled to be held today at 10 o’clock.

Andaman News TV11 (VHF dial) at 8.30am & local Cable TV channel 1 + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand 6pm, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Wednesday 19 March 2008 & http://news.prd.go.th

This is a fix up job. The story attached to this bloke suggests to me that he will go away for a couple of years and be out again. Hands up anyone who truly believes that he is the real perpetrator.

Shame on you Thai Police.

As for the bloke who asked whether people believe that all Thai men are rapists. Not at all, but lets not forget that it was only until a few years ago, it was LEGAL to rape one's own wife, so lets not get the impression that rape is considered as the same level of crime in Thailand that it is in the west.

Hmm, safety whistles. How about a beach patrol! If the bloody police in this country would actually patrol around instead of sitting at the traffic lights looking for a cyclist with no safety helmet they might actually prevent a crime instead of simply framing the next poor fool for it.

About 6 months ago I had the temerity to suggest that the police carry out more night patrols in the streets of Pattaya and the beach to help prevent the increasing mugging and murders of tourists, and I was roundly admonished by TV posters for wanting to spoil the "wild west/ laisez faire" ambience of this "great :o " city.

You can't win..... it is a very sad indictment of Thailand today.

This is a fix up job. The story attached to this bloke suggests to me that he will go away for a couple of years and be out again. Hands up anyone who truly believes that he is the real perpetrator.

When I read the news I don't see the elements that makes it clear to Thaivisa members that the police have got the wrong guy. Could someone please show me why that is so obvious.

When I read the news I don't see the elements that makes it clear to Thaivisa members that the police have got the wrong guy. Could someone please show me why that is so obvious.

Because it happens over and over and over again. Guy with previous crimminal record gets paid to cover up someone elses' folly.

If he had got into Burma, why on earth would he come back. He could get the death penalty. Has anyone ever heard of someone with a death penalty giving themselves up. His familiy wanted to insure his safety! The last place that would be in the hands of the Thai law enforcement.

What on earth could be his motivation for turning himself in, or could it be that he was so absolutely shit scared by the fact that he had a warrant for his arrest issued so amazingly quickly that he thought his only option was to come back and hope to god that he could trust the police to find out that he didn't do it. There will be absolutely no evidence provided other than a confession from him hoping for leniency.

Of course he may have done it, but in this situation, I have absolutely no faith in the thai police to lift one finger to investigate the case properly. If they have an accusation against him that fast, it can only be because of a witness statement. Deserted beach at midnight, how on earth do they have any evidence that he did it unless someone has said it was him. Well if they saw him, what were they doing there? Watching? Are we to believe honestly that a bloke just turned into a rapist murderer in 10 seconds? Diminished responsibility (stress at home?).

They probably have a patsy within a few days of the crime, so case is closed.

Meanwhile, Pol. Maj-Gen. Decha Butrnampetch, Phuket police commissioner, revealed that

preliminary investigation was narrowed down after 20 circumstantial witnesses gave useful information to the investigation. Three suspects are being sought for further investigation as they appeared near the scene before the victim was murdered.

So 20 or so witnesses on a deserted beach, and dada 3 suspects in a matter of moments. Twaddle.

Yep, they all are just a disillusioned, paranoid, uptight bunch and afraid about the life of their friends, wifes and daughters... that is all!

The local Police is highly efficient, very quick, very smart, most honest and simply solved this case with just snipping them fingers... simple, very simple, I love their efficiency, there has never been a cover up, no extra judical killings of merely 2500 or so people, there ain't no cover up's... !

How the heck they could solve the case in no time, suspect hidden out of the Thai jurisdiction... no eyewitnesses and he just comes forward, killing a female tourist out of "family distress"... yep, sure...they are better, well trained and faster then any other law enforcement department on the planet!

This alone makes the story not very palatable!

Because it happens over and over and over again. Guy with previous crimminal record gets paid to cover up someone elses' folly.

If he had got into Burma, why on earth would he come back. He could get the death penalty. Has anyone ever heard of someone with a death penalty giving themselves up. His familiy wanted to insure his safety! The last place that would be in the hands of the Thai law enforcement.

What on earth could be his motivation for turning himself in, or could it be that he was so absolutely shit scared by the fact that he had a warrant for his arrest issued so amazingly quickly that he thought his only option was to come back and hope to god that he could trust the police to find out that he didn't do it. There will be absolutely no evidence provided other than a confession from him hoping for leniency.

Of course he may have done it, but in this situation, I have absolutely no faith in the thai police to lift one finger to investigate the case properly. If they have an accusation against him that fast, it can only be because of a witness statement. Deserted beach at midnight, how on earth do they have any evidence that he did it unless someone has said it was him. Well if they saw him, what were they doing there? Watching? Are we to believe honestly that a bloke just turned into a rapist murderer in 10 seconds? Diminished responsibility (stress at home?).

Your post is nonsense. No one is going to risk the death penalty to cover up a crime for someone else.

Edited by farang prince

Meanwhile, Pol. Maj-Gen. Decha Butrnampetch, Phuket police commissioner, revealed that

preliminary investigation was narrowed down after 20 circumstantial witnesses gave useful information to the investigation. Three suspects are being sought for further investigation as they appeared near the scene before the victim was murdered.

So 20 or so witnesses on a deserted beach, and dada 3 suspects in a matter of moments. Twaddle.

Hmm, and NOT ONE OF THEM had the balls to step in and do something??? :D :D :D One little coward with a knife isn't enough to stop several people from over-powering him and holding him until the magnificent Thai police farce turns off the soap operas and actually turn up where they're needed. :o

Edited by Galong

Warrant out for beach murder suspect

Sea gypsy wanted for Swedish tourist killing

ACHADTAYA CHUENNIRAN

PHUKET : A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a man belonging to a sea gypsy tribe for the brutal slaying of a Swedish tourist in Phuket on Saturday. The warrant is out for Akaradet, or Thatchai Tankay, 31, a Moken sea gypsy, on a charge of premeditated murder of Hannah Charlotte Bankluns, 27, a Swedish tourist.

Bankluns was stabbed to death while sunbathing on Mai Khao beach in Phuket's Thalang district on Saturday.

Continued here at the Bangkok Post

Asia-Pacific News

Thai suspect in Swede's killing surrenders to police

Mar 19, 2008, 2:29 GMT

Bangkok - A Thai fisherman who is the prime suspect in the brutal weekend killing of a Swedish woman has turned himself over to police on Phuket Island after they issued a warrant for his arrest, media reports said Wednesday.

Akaradej Tankae, 31, confessed to police that he had killed Charlotta Hanna and then fled to Song Island, also known as Victoria Point, in neighbouring Myanmar, Major General Sawat Boonfueng, regional deputy police chief, told the Thai News Agency.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Akaradej Tuesday and posted a 100,000-baht (3,175-dollar) reward for information leading to his arrest.

Akaradej said he killed Hanna, 27, because he was suffering family stress, Sawat said.

The case has damaged Phuket's reputation as a safe tourist destination.

Hanna was found hacked to death on Mai Khao beach on the island, 660 kilometres south on Bangkok, where she had rented a bungalow. Police said they believe she was killed late Saturday or early Sunday while taking a walk on the beach.

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kohsurat visited the island Monday to speed up a resolution of the case, which has raised concerns about security for female visitors to Thai beach resorts.

Weerasak, who assumed his post February 6, reportedly suggested passing out whistles to all female tourists on Phuket as a means of protecting them during midnight strolls on beaches.

Thai authorities might also consider passing out whistles to female visitors to nearby Samui Island, where British tourist Katherine Horton, 21, was raped and murdered by two Thai fishermen on January 2, 2006.

Horton's assailants were sentenced to life imprisonment.

Phuket is one of Thailand's leading tourist resorts. Tourism arrivals to the island and nearby resorts such as Phi Phi and Phang Nga dropped after the December 26, 2004, tsunami, which claimed 5,400 lives in Thailand, half of them foreign tourists.

European tourists, especially Scandinavians, started to return to Phuket in large numbers in 2006 and 2007.

Source: Monstersandcritics.com

PHUKET : A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a man belonging to a sea gypsy tribe for the brutal slaying of a Swedish tourist in Phuket on Saturday.

Oh, so it was a sea gypsy... how convenient. Blame it on a 'tribal' guy instead of a Thai. Now, I'm not saying that sea gypsies are pure as the driven snow, but Thais generally treat them like animals and seemingly have no respect for them whatsoever. This seems a bit suspicious to me.

Your post is nonsense. No one is going to risk the death penalty to cover up a crime for someone else.

Not unless there was no risk of getting it coz you are promised you won't get it if you confess to clear up the crime. leniency is given for confession and the boys in brown get to parade you around. There are a hundred possibiliites. Maybe he knew he was going to get arrested for something else. Maybe someone has paid him to take the rap, knowing he will croak in a years time anyway. Maybe he slapped someone official a couple of weeks ago. One thing for sure, is that there won't be much more investigation done after this. And as the other 2 suspects mentioned where are they?

So if your name is instantly put on a warrant, you have no lawyer, you have someone pointing the finger at you and you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, you run back, protest your innocence, but are told, sorry mate your name on it, if you confess you won't get the bullet.

Don't mess with coppers, I have a friend who was completely stitched up (not for murder) and he was offered the same deal. Confess, 2 years in, don't worry you'll be fine. They needed someone very quickly for the sake of the papers. He had pissed off someone high up, and lo and behold the coppers came knocking. By the time his picture had been all over the papers, even his lawyer told him, you can't fight this one, just confess. They even had a network to funnel money to his wife while he was inside.

Not unless there was no risk of getting it coz you are promised you won't get it if you confess to clear up the crime. leniency is given for confession and the boys in brown get to parade you around. There are a hundred possibiliites. Maybe he knew he was going to get arrested for something else. Maybe someone has paid him to take the rap, knowing he will croak in a years time anyway. Maybe he slapped someone official a couple of weeks ago. One thing for sure, is that there won't be much more investigation done after this. And as the other 2 suspects mentioned where are they?

So if your name is instantly put on a warrant, you have no lawyer, you have someone pointing the finger at you and you aren't the sharpest tool in the shed, you run back, protest your innocence, but are told, sorry mate your name on it, if you confess you won't get the bullet.

Don't mess with coppers, I have a friend who was completely stitched up (not for murder) and he was offered the same deal. Confess, 2 years in, don't worry you'll be fine. They needed someone very quickly for the sake of the papers. He had pissed off someone high up, and lo and behold the coppers came knocking. By the time his picture had been all over the papers, even his lawyer told him, you can't fight this one, just confess. They even had a network to funnel money to his wife while he was inside.

And there we have it, the wrong charge.

Get this man a lawyer and in 10 minutes, legal mess already! Is this the same guy? I thought one guy gave himself up already?

From Bangkok Post:

The warrant is out for Akaradet, or Thatchai Tankay, 31, a Moken sea gypsy, on a charge of premeditated murder of Hannah Charlotte Bankluns, 27, a Swedish tourist.

Manslaughter exists in this country I believe. How can they prove premeditated murder? Other story in the post today, says they believe he acted alone, now another warrant? Or is it the same guy?

CORRECTION UPDATE: POLICE HAVE ONLY ISSUED WARRANT FOR A SUSPECT, WHO IS STILL ON THE RUN.

Whoa. Then we have a serious disconnect...because the news is reporting that not only is the suspect in custody, he also confessed to the crime. What is going on here?

2008-03-19 10:45:16

Thai court issues warrant for suspect in killing of Swedish tourist

A Thailand court has issued a warrant for the arrest of a Thai man suspected in the death of a female Swedish tourist.

But he confessed on Tuesday??

Thai suspect in Swedish tourist murder surrenders

March 19, 2008 - 2:50PM

Related coverage

* Female Phuket tourists to be given safety whistles

A Thai man suspected of killing a Swedish tourist on the southern resort island of Phuket has surrendered to police after a three-day manhunt, police said today.

Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found stabbed to death on Saturday near her bungalow on Mai Khao beach in northern Phuket where she had gone for a walk.

Police Lieutenant General Tani Twidsi told Reuters Akaradech Tangae, a 31-year-old labourer who surrendered to police yesterday, said he had tried to rape Backlund, but she resisted and he stabbed her to death.

Akaradech fled to neighbouring Burma but returned after police assured his relatives that a murder charge would not carry the death penalty.

"He is a 'peeping tom'. He loves to bring friends to this remote and quiet beach to look at naked tourists swimming or sunbathing," Tani said.

Phuket, one of the six southern provinces hit by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami which killed 5395 people in Thailand, is a popular destination for Western tourists fleeing cold winters.

Reuters

A Thai Rath article from yesterday stated that a foreign witness had seen him in the bushes near the resort prior to the attack and had given a description to a sketch artist. It was, I guess, from this sketch artist's drawing, that an identification was made.

According to Swedish newspaper "Aftonbladet".

He was arrested in a longtail boat on the way to Burma.

He's father and cousin was also present in the boat.

He has confessed, the murder weapon has been found in his home.

He has a bitemark and scratches.

"the murder weapon has been found in his home"

Sounds strange for me, can he be so stupid.

That's a lot of Maybes. But you left one out: Maybe he actually did it. I see alot of people on here who complain when the police don't do their job and then complain when they do.

Edited by pickel

Related coverage

A Thai man suspected of killing a Swedish tourist on the southern resort island of Phuket has surrendered to police after a three-day manhunt, police said today.

Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found stabbed to death on Saturday near her bungalow on Mai Khao beach in northern Phuket where she had gone for a walk.

Police Lieutenant General Tani Twidsi told Reuters Akaradech Tangae, a 31-year-old labourer who surrendered to police yesterday, said he had tried to rape Backlund, but she resisted and he stabbed her to death.

Akaradech fled to neighbouring Burma but returned after police assured his relatives that a murder charge would not carry the death penalty.

"He is a 'peeping tom'. He loves to bring friends to this remote and quiet beach to look at naked tourists swimming or sunbathing," Tani said.

Phuket, one of the six southern provinces hit by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami which killed 5395 people in Thailand, is a popular destination for Western tourists fleeing cold winters.

Reuters

Do you have the link to this? I can't find it anywhere in the Reuters website. Also I am a bit confused about the date "March 19, 2008 - 2:50PM". Currently its only 1pm in Thailand. Is this Tokyo time?

Related coverage

Reuters

Do you have the link to this? I can't find it anywhere in the Reuters website. Also I am a bit confused about the date "March 19, 2008 - 2:50PM". Currently its only 1pm in Thailand. Is this Tokyo time?

Sorry, Sydney Morning Herald

Confessed killer of Swedish tourist surrenders to police

PHUKET, March 19 (TNA) – The murderer who killed a Swedish tourist on a beach in Thailand's Phuket resort island turned himself in Wednesday morning and confessed to killing the victim and attempting to rape her.

Akradej Tanke, 31, surrendered at a police station in Ranong at 1am Wednesday after he had fled to a hideout in the neighbouring country of Myanmar.

Mr. Akradej admitted stabbing the victim to death after trying to rape her but finding that he was strongly resisted.

The assailant said he committed the crime on his own and that family stress was the reason behind the killing.

Mr. Akradej's father said he did not believe that his son murdered the young woman, but agreed that his son surrender to defend himself in court.

Swedish national Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found dead Saturday at Phuket's popular Mai Kao beach. Police said she had been attacked and fatally stabbed in the neck. (TNA)-E004

Source: MCOT news

What a sad thread this is.

Firstly for the needless death of a young woman.

And secondly for those irrational posters who seem to make all their judgments based on press reports and personal prejudices. Complain one minute about how useless the Thai police are (perhaps they are right in some cases), and in the next breath assume that it must be a fit-up when the police do catch somebody.

Let's not wait and see what actual evidence the police have, and perhaps make a rational, informed judgment after that. Far better to go off half cocked and vent in a forum.

You should take a long hard look at yourselves!

Strange story in "Aftonbladet.se", I do not really get how the arrest was made.

He was arrested in a longtail boat on the way to Burma.

He's father and cousin was present at the arrest.

He has confessed, the murder weapon has been found in his home.

He has a bitemark and scratches.

Akkaradej Tankae was arrested when trying to escape to Burma.

He sat alone in a so called longtailboat.

He was then taken to the Thai bordertown Ranong 230 Km north of Phuket.

Then its starting to get wierd... :o

There he was arrested after a huge police hunt during hole day and evening.

The arrest was without drama and Tankae turn himself over without resistence, manly because he's father and cousin was with the police during the arrest.

He was afraid of being killed and demanded that he's father should be present.

"the murder weapon has been found in his home"

Sounds strange for me, can he be so stupid.

I only translate, so don't blame me.

Edited by PoorSucker

---"the murder weapon, a knife, have been found. It were showed on a pressconferance this morning swedish time. On the conferance the suspect answered questions.

- We found the knife in his home. said Decha Butnampeth to Aftonbladet.

On the press conferance Akkaradej Tankae begged for forgivness from Hanna Bäcklunds family and the whole Swedish nation. The appeal were given to the general consul in Phuket, Christina Palm.

- I am sorry. I hope her family, as well as the whole Swedish nation, can forgive me he said while he put his hands together in a thai tradition gesture and lowered his head.

Tankae continued to explain that he had been on the beach three days in a row before he meet Hanna Bäcklund. But the murder was not premeditated instead a pure coincidence.

- I did it alone. I was not drunk, I had not been drinking alcohol said Tankae to the big media crowd at the Police station in Phuket.

Like to watch western women

Later during the day the police took him to the beach were the murder took place. There he showed how the murder took place.

The 31 year old suspect were early on the main suspect by the police. Tankae have been working as a pool cleaner in Phuket.

The police say that many witnesses claim that Tankae like to look at western women at the beach – Mai Khao Beach – were Hanna Bäcklund were found murdered.

Tankae lives with his second wife 8 kilometer from the crimescene. He have a daughter from the first marrige.

Akkaradej Tankae served a couple of months in jail in 2006 because he were found guilty of a robbery. This time the sentence may the the hardest one Thailand have - death."

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article2083922.ab

A note to the reader: Aftonbladet is Swedens biggest tabloid paper. The plea to the swedish people may come from the fact that in 2007 alone 250.000 swedes visited Thailand, mainly Phuket and Kho Samui.

On the page there is a picture of hte murder weapon. Can anyone confirm that this is a typical "fishermans knife"? To me, it looks like average bread knife.

Edited by Nysan

---"the murder weapon, a knife, have been found. It were showed on a pressconferance this morning swedish time. On the conferance the suspect answered questions.

On the press conferance Akkaradej Tankae begged for forgivness from Hanna Bäcklunds family and the whole Swedish nation. The appeal were given to the general consul in Phuket, Christina Palm.

- I am sorry. I hope her family, as well as the whole Swedish nation, can forgive me he said while he put his hands together in a thai tradition gesture and lowered his head.

Tankae continued to explain that he had been on the beach three days in a row before he meet Hanna Bäcklund. But the murder was not premeditated instead a pure coincidence.

- I did it alone. I was not drunk, I had not been drinking alcohol said Tankae to the big media crowd at the Police station in Phuket.

Later during the day the police took him to the beach were the murder took place. There he showed how the murder took place.

The 31 year old suspect were early on the main suspect by the police. Tankae have been working as a pool cleaner in Phuket.

The police say that many witnesses claim that Tankae like to look at western women at the beach – Mai Khao Beach – were Hanna Bäcklund were found murdered.

Tankae lives with his second wife 8 kilometer from the crimescene. He have a daughter from the first marrige.

Akkaradej Tankae served a couple of months in jail in 2006 because he were found guilty of a robbery. This time the sentence may the the hardest one Thailand have - death."

A note to the reader: Aftonbladet is Swedens biggest tabloid paper. The plea to the swedish people may come from the fact that in 2007 alone 250.000 swedes visited Thailand, mainly Phuket and Kho Samui.

On the page there is a picture of hte murder weapon. Can anyone confirm that this is a typical "fishermans knife"? To me, it looks like average bread knife.

Ok, can the Thaivisa members walk me through this report and point out the hidden bits that prove the police have arrested the wrong man.

Ok, can the Thaivisa members walk me through this report and point out the hidden bits that prove the police have arrested the wrong man.

There are ten different versions of events running at the moment. He gave himself up, he was arrested, he went to Burma side of an island. Who knows?

If you look at http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article2083922.ab and then press on the play icon you will see clips from the pres confrence. What makes me at bit sick is the clip show him walking with the police smiling like they are pals and he won the lottery. And I ask again: is the knife really a fishermans knife?

Facts so far: Ha confesed to the murder. He fled and later turned himself in.

Edited by Nysan