The Death Of Miss Hanna Charlotta Backlund

george

Ok, can the Thaivisa members walk me through this report and point out the hidden bits that prove the police have arrested the wrong man.

I think that some of us (or maybe just me :D ) find it rather odd that the cops can find a suspect this quick when they normally can't do regular normal cop work. They seem to be dreadfully corrupt and incompetent most of the time, but when it involves bad international press, suddenly, they become super coppers and find their man! Historically, when a tourist is killed (unless it's done at the hands of a cop :o ), they find the culprit almost right away. Doesn't that make you think something's up?. :D

The 'murder weapon' was found in his house...well, that's easy to plant. Scratches on his body however are another thing. However (again), it's easy to put them there. Who did the DNA work to see of the scratches had the victim's DNA on the suspect?

Sorry, but personally I don't trust the boys in brown and see no real reason to believe them right away in cases like this. True, they could be spot on and doing a fine job of police work... but....

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, can the Thaivisa members walk me through this report and point out the hidden bits that prove the police have arrested the wrong man.

I think that some of us (or maybe just me :D ) find it rather odd that the cops can find a suspect this quick when they normally can't do regular normal cop work. They seem to be dreadfully corrupt and incompetent most of the time, but when it involves bad international press, suddenly, they become super coppers and find their man! Historically, when a tourist is killed (unless it's done at the hands of a cop :o ), they find the culprit almost right away. Doesn't that make you think something's up?. :D

The 'murder weapon' was found in his house...well, that's easy to plant. Scratches on his body however are another thing. However (again), it's easy to put them there. Who did the DNA work to see of the scratches had the victim's DNA on the suspect?

Sorry, but personally I don't trust the boys in brown and see no real reason to believe them right away in cases like this. True, they could be spot on and doing a fine job of police work... but....

I bet you believe that Lee Harvey Oswald didn't act alone.

On the page there is a picture of hte murder weapon. Can anyone confirm that this is a typical "fishermans knife"? To me, it looks like average bread knife.

It is a sharp bladed knife, typically sold at festivals and in grocery type stores. There is no typical fisherman's knife, but many hook and line fishermen use this kind of knife for cutting bait. Many of the local fishermen here use this kind of knife because its cheap and easy to replace when it rusts and gets dull.

So, no, its not a stretch to say he used this knife for fishing.

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1122060.php

Here is a link to the story regarding the murder of Australian, Kelvin Bourke and the rape of his girlfriend in Chiang Mai. It demonstrates how the police under pressure to solve the case quickly just arrested 2 young men who were bottom of the social pile and got them to confess in double quick time. They were duly convicted and sentenced to death. Had it not been for the personal intervention of the Queen, these convictions might never have been quashed.

This was certainly not an isolated case but one case in a pattern of similar behaviour by the police.

There were similar attempts to frame an innocent person, again a member of Thailand's ethnic minorities in the Kirsty Jones case.

Also in the murder of schoolchildren on a bus in Ratchaburi, again a man from the ethnic minorities was tried and convicted and later had his conviction quashed with the police handling of the case torn to shreds.

These are the high profile cases that were infamous enough to make it to the English language press. Just imagine how many "mundane" killings are "solved" in this manner. And then consider how many lesser crimes, such as theft, are pinned on innocent suspects.

So, it is unsurprising that many posters here find it difficult to believe the police statements. They seem too perfect. However, none of us really know if the accused is guilty or not.

Perhaps this thread is not the place to discuss this issue and I hope the people who knew the victim can find a way to lessen their grief over time.

These are the high profile cases that were infamous enough to make it to the English language press. Just imagine how many "mundane" killings are "solved" in this manner.

Sure it happens. Just as in the USA eg the book by Grisham. All I am curiosu about is how Thaivisa members already know this case has been faked,

From Publishers Weekly

Grisham's first work of nonfiction focuses on the tragedy of Ron Williamson, a baseball hero from a small town in Oklahoma who winds up a dissolute, mentally unstable Major League washout railroaded onto death row for a hometown rape and murder he did not commit. Judging by this author-approved abridgment, Grisham has chosen to present Williamson's painful story (and that of his equally innocent "co-conspirator," Dennis Fritz) as straightforward journalism, eschewing the more familiar "nonfiction novel" approach with its reconstructed dialogues and other adjustments for dramatic purpose. This has resulted in a book that, while it includes such intriguing elements as murder, rape, detection and judicial injustice, consists primarily of objective reportage, albeit shaded by the now-proven fact of Williamson's innocence. The absence of dialogue or character point of view could make for a rather bland audio. Boutsikaris avoids that by reverting to what might be called old-fashioned round-the-campfire storytelling, treating the lengthy exposition to vocal interpretations, subtle and substantial. He narrates the events leading up to the 1982 rape and murder of a young cocktail waitress with a mixture of suspicion and curiosity, moving on to astonishment at the prosecution's use of deceit and false testimony to convict Williamson and Fritz and, eventually, elation at the exoneration of the two innocent

agree that it is too early to make any definite calls on this one....

but if past performance is an indication of what to expect in the future....

an excellent example of previous thai police work can be seen here :D

and here :o

Edited by Payboy

ahhh well reading some posters comments here, lucky we've got the "it will all work out" crowd who obviousely trust the information they're fed....

Welcome to "Alice in Wonderland, Ladies and Gentlemen, relax, lean back and enjoy the greatest show on earth!"

Anybody seen the Rabbit around?

Lets remember the original point of this thread, a young woman has been murdered. Do please remember that her family could very well be reading this and try to show some consideration when posting, thanks

From Phuketgazette.com

After hearing media reports that police had spoken to locals and were moving in on a prime suspect in the murder, Akkaradej left his daughter in the care of his relative and traveled to a friend’s home in Ranong, said police.

Akkaradej called his wife and father and told them where he was, which the pair then relayed to police. Last night at Tah Chat Chai Police Station, Akkaradej’s father persuaded him during a phone conversation to give himself up, said police.

With Akkaradej’s wife and father present, police took Akkaradej into custody in Baan Tublee, Ranong province, at 1:35 am.

Lt Gen Thanee Thawisri, commander of Royal Thai Police Region 8, said, “The knife has been found and will be sent to Surat Thani for testing. We will have the results of DNA tests soon and will take samples from the suspect’s clothes, finger nails and tissue.”

Akkaradej said, “I feel bad about everything that has happened. The night after I did it I went back to my home and cried. I feel hurt and sad for [Miss Backlund’s] family and also for my family. I accept everything that I did because I feel pity for my own daughter.”

The case will be sent to court within one month, said police.

The 100,000-baht reward offered by local businesses for information leading to the arrest will be given to Akkaradej’s wife and father, police added.

Christina Palm, acting Swedish consul, told reporters, “I am very happy that the police arrested the suspect so quickly. I would like to thank all the officers involved in this case.”

The 100,000-baht reward offered by local businesses for information leading to the arrest will be given to Akkaradej’s wife and father, police added.

If he is the one a condition of not being used in his defense, I hope.

Condolences to family and friends

Today the alleged murderer was brought to the scene...

When I arrived at Mai Khao beach bungalows, there were at least 50 police and a short distance away , at the site about 200 locals were gathered as if at a picnic.

Another 20 or so police arrived with the alleged murderer. Perhaps in his early 30's, hair collar length and tinged red he bore no signs of cuts or bruises, no bandages on his hand.

He took police to where he had seen Ms. Backlund sunbathing at an earlier time and then to where he hid behind a pine tree as she walked by. He came up behind her at the water line and put the knife to her back. She turned toward him and he stabbed her in the abdomen and then stabbed her in the throat twice. After she fell he stabbed her in the back.

The demostration knife was quite long, about 9 inches. After he killed her he walked back into the woods where his motorcycle was and put the knife under the seat.

I understand the family will not be coming to Thailand and Ms. Emma has left Phuket as of yesterday

From Phuketgazette.com

Now all they have to do is get the business' to cough up the money!

Today the alleged murderer was brought to the scene...

When I arrived at Mai Khao beach bungalows, there were at least 50 police and a short distance away , at the site about 200 locals were gathered as if at a picnic.

Another 20 or so police arrived with the alleged murderer. Perhaps in his early 30's, hair collar length and tinged red he bore no signs of cuts or bruises, no bandages on his hand.

He took police to where he had seen Ms. Backlund sunbathing at an earlier time and then to where he hid behind a pine tree as she walked by. He came up behind her at the water line and put the knife to her back. She turned toward him and he stabbed her in the abdomen and then stabbed her in the throat twice. After she fell he stabbed her in the back.

The demostration knife was quite long, about 9 inches. After he killed her he walked back into the woods where his motorcycle was and put the knife under the seat.

I understand the family will not be coming to Thailand and Ms. Emma has left Phuket as of yesterday

I also noticed he was very calm , even jovial at one point. He was not nervous in any way. I was about 3 feet away at times. presumably, A local woman was used as a model and she seemed perfectly comfortable. They were looking around , some giggling for a " Farang" to use and eyes fell on me but my status as a presumed reporter disqualified me, I guess

I was watching the police and at one point it did seem to me to be a farce, as if it really were just a stage, all the men and women merely players...

I too do not believe he did it

For some reason I can't find my post from yesterday - anyway a few days back I suggested in the other thread about this murder (now closed) that the Thai police would probably try to pin it on another fisherman like the rape/murder in Samui of the Welsh girl. Voila. At least this time they're not trying accuse a migrant worker - sea gypsey probably the next best thing for the police here though.

Edited by thaigene2

What a sad thread this is.

Firstly for the needless death of a young woman.

And secondly for those irrational posters who seem to make all their judgments based on press reports and personal prejudices. Complain one minute about how useless the Thai police are (perhaps they are right in some cases), and in the next breath assume that it must be a fit-up when the police do catch somebody.

Let's not wait and see what actual evidence the police have, and perhaps make a rational, informed judgment after that. Far better to go off half cocked and vent in a forum.

You should take a long hard look at yourselves!

I mentioned the murder last night to my wife. She saw the apparent murderer and police on tv today and then mentioned that something seems unusually wrong in the way the alleged murderer and policemen were talking to each other, they sounded much too friendly towards each other. She doesn't believe much of what is going on as well, foreigners are not alone in their mistrust.

Police arrest Hanna’s suspected killer

Akkaradej Tunkae, 31, has been charged with the murder of Hanna Backlund.

PHUKET CITY: After a regional manhunt for the killer of Swedish tourist Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 26, whose body was found at Mai Khao Beach on Saturday, police have arrested and charged with murder their prime suspect after he gave himself up in Ranong province early this morning.

Region 8 Police Deputy Commander Maj Gen Tavat Boonfueng led a team to Ranong to bring Akkaradej Tunkae, 31, back to Phuket, arriving at Tah Chat Chai Police Station in a police van at 5:30 am, it was announced at a press conference this morning.

Akkaradej allegedly told police that he had watched Miss Backlund and her friend Emma Stenman at Mai Khao Beach for three days until on Saturday he spotted Miss Backlund sunbathing alone.

He approached Miss Backlund from behind, with a kitchen knife in his right hand taken from his home in Thalang, police said.

He grabbed Miss Backlund by her throat with his left hand and, when she attempted to break free, stabbed her in the neck, stomach and side of her body, police added.

After rushing to his home on his motorcycle, he cleaned the knife and hid it in a closet before he changed his clothes, said police.

On Sunday morning, Akkaradej and his daughter traveled by bus to a relative’s home in Chumphon province, police told reporters.

After hearing media reports that police had spoken to locals and were moving in on a prime suspect in the murder, Akkaradej left his daughter in the care of his relative and traveled to a friend’s home in Ranong, the police said.

Akkaradej called his wife and father and told them where he was, which the pair then reported to police. Last night at Tah Chat Chai Police Station, Akkaradej’s father persuaded him by phone to give himself up, the police said.

With Akkaradej’s wife and father present, police took Akkaradej into custody in Baan Tublee, Ranong province, at 1:35 am.

Lt Gen Thanee Thawisri, commander of Royal Thai Police Region 8, said, “The knife has been found and will be sent to Surat Thani for testing. We will have the results of DNA tests soon and will take samples from the suspect’s clothes, finger nails and tissue.”

Akkaradej said, “I feel bad about everything that has happened. The night after I did it I went back to my home and cried. I feel hurt and sad for [Miss Backlund’s] family and also for my family. I accept everything that I did because I feel pity for my own daughter.”

The case will be sent to court within one month, said police.

Christina Palm, acting Swedish consul, told reporters, “I am very happy that the police arrested the suspect so quickly. I would like to thank all the officers involved in this case.”

Source: Phuket Gazette

http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1122060.php

Here is a link to the story regarding the murder of Australian, Kelvin Bourke and the rape of his girlfriend in Chiang Mai. It demonstrates how the police under pressure to solve the case quickly just arrested 2 young men who were bottom of the social pile and got them to confess in double quick time. They were duly convicted and sentenced to death. Had it not been for the personal intervention of the Queen, these convictions might never have been quashed.

This was certainly not an isolated case but one case in a pattern of similar behaviour by the police.

There were similar attempts to frame an innocent person, again a member of Thailand's ethnic minorities in the Kirsty Jones case.

Also in the murder of schoolchildren on a bus in Ratchaburi, again a man from the ethnic minorities was tried and convicted and later had his conviction quashed with the police handling of the case torn to shreds.

These are the high profile cases that were infamous enough to make it to the English language press. Just imagine how many "mundane" killings are "solved" in this manner. And then consider how many lesser crimes, such as theft, are pinned on innocent suspects.

So, it is unsurprising that many posters here find it difficult to believe the police statements. They seem too perfect. However, none of us really know if the accused is guilty or not.

Allow me take you back even further. Back in the early 1980s there some fatal shots fired at tourists taking the then remote boat trip between Thaton and Chiang Rai and the authorities were quick to accuse the locals at the bottom of the social ladder in the area, the hapless Akha, when everyone knew it was villagers from the well protected village of Khun Sa's right hand man, Laota.

But I am surprised nobody mentioned the case of the assassination of the school head in Sankhampeng in the late 1980s after that gentleman complained to the authorities and the media about the encroachment of the Shinawat family's holdings onto public lands. An absolute nobody was found as the perpetrator and the case was closed.

The B Post is no longer running the story and The Nation's following is cursory and infuriatingly infers twice this happened at night. There is no doubt it happened in broad daylight .

And there is no mention of the Burma Run.

Wow, now I am supicious though I will concede that Akaradej might have been extremely tired or even sedated as an explanation for his lack of......concern at the re enactment

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/03/19...al_30068622.php

Suspect in Swede's killing surrenders to police

Bangkok - A Thai fisherman who is the prime suspect in the brutal weekend killing of a Swedish woman has turned himself over to police on Phuket Island after they issued a warrant for his arrest, media reports said Wednesday.

Akaradej Tankae, 31, confessed to police that he had killed Charlotta Hanna and then fled to Song Island, also known as Victoria Point, in neighbouring Burma, police said.

Police issued an arrest warrant for Akaradej on Tuesday and posted a Bt100,000reward for information leading to his arrest.

According to policem Akaradej said he killed Hanna, 27, because he was suffering family stress.

Hanna was found hacked to death on Mai Khao beach on the island, where she had rented a bungalow. Police said they believe she was killed late Saturday or early Sunday while taking a walk on the beach.

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kohsurat visited the island Monday to speed up a resolution of the case, which has raised concerns about security for female visitors to Thai beach resorts.

Weerasak, who assumed his post February 6, reportedly suggested passing out whistles to all female tourists on Phuket as a means of protecting them during midnight strolls on beaches.

Good grief, read this travesty posted Wed night from B POst (and the name is still wrong. How difficult is it to get the name from the consulate. I did )

In Fog We Trust

Note the " 20 stab wounds" ???

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Mar2008_news16.php

PHUKET : A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a man belonging to a sea gypsy tribe for the brutal slaying of a Swedish tourist in Phuket on Saturday. The warrant is out for Akaradet, or Thatchai Tankay, 31, a Moken sea gypsy, on a charge of premeditated murder of Hannah Charlotte Bankluns, 27, a Swedish tourist.

Bankluns was stabbed to death while sunbathing on Mai Khao beach in Phuket's Thalang district on Saturday.

Police believe Mr Akaradet is the killer, and that he fled to Chumphon after the killing.

Phuket governor Nirand Kalayanamitr said the arrest warrant was jointly sought by the provincial office and local police. The provincial court granted the warrant yesterday.

Mr Nirand was speaking at a press conference on the progress of the police investigation at the provincial hall yesterday.

The murder has sparked concern that the case could hurt the confidence of tourists if the killer is not brought to justice quickly as Phuket is a popular destination for tourists from the Scandinavian countries.

The Phuket Tourist Association has pledged a 100,000-baht reward for information leading to the arrest of the killer.

According to investigators, the suspect took up menial jobs from cleaning a swimming pool to working as a gardener in Phuket.

Police said the suspect liked to peek at female foreign tourists on the beach.

The crime scene was a 10km-long secluded beach located far from residential areas. The nearest accommodation was a few commercially-operated bungalows.

After the killing, tourists were warned to steer clear of remote tourist spots for their own safety, Mr Nirand said.

Phuket provincial police chief Pol Maj-Gen Decha Butranamphet said the suspect had a criminal record for committing a robbery in 2006.

His deputy, Pol Col Pawin Pongsirin, said Bankluns had more than 20 stab wounds on her body.

Currently, Phuket has nearly 6,000 members of a volunteer security force active in tourist areas. More than four million foreign tourists visit the resort island annually, according to official tourism figures.

Suwalai Pinpradap, director of the Tourism Authority of Thailand's southern division, said the killing has not yet caused any disruption in the tourism industry as no tour cancellations have been reported so far, and an increase in the number of Swedish tourists to Phuket is also expected during the rainy season in the latter half of the year.

According to the latest statistics, Swedish tourists form the third largest group of visitors to Phuket.

Reading the story and seeing the footage and the confession of the suspect I am thinking.

(He killed her without any reason).

This is typical behaviour of a serial killer.

How many people are killed in Thailand and how many people are convicted?

Where to find those statistics?

Reading the story and seeing the footage and the confession of the suspect I am thinking.

(He killed her without any reason).

He or whomever killed her because he hates women, because he lives in a society that stifles him and natural sexuality, that teaches nothing matters. The frustration surges outand someone always suffers for it .

So sorry Young Hanna, you died alone on that beach, how angry and scared you must have been. I think, I hope you did not suffer too long.

I will endeavor to assist in making your brutal murder come to something.

There are ten different versions of events running at the moment.

So which ones were you specifically relying upon, to post the nonsense in your several earlier posts?

I simply read the various reports that were around and believed it was another set up, of which there have been many over the years.

If he did it, good job to the police, but I myself have very little faith in their honest ability. I hope to god we don't have another story as there have been many over the years of the accused getting off because of botched or set up cases.

Time will tell.

According to policem Akaradej said he killed Hanna, 27, because he was suffering family stress.
PHETCHABURI KILLING

'Rock thrower' kills himself

Suicide note says suspect had mistakenly killed boy out of frustration

A man suspected of the rock-throwing attack that killed a 13-year-old boy committed suicide in Phetchaburi's Muang district yesterday.

Panom Inthakul, 37, died by drinking poison (lannate mixed with beer) in a hotel room at the Happy Inn Hotel yesterday morning.

Near his body was a suicide note :o saying he did not mean to hurt anyone, but that he had had a fight with his wife.

Panom had said he had thrown a rock at the teenager out of frustration due to family pressure at home, the relative said.

Note that they were looking for a teenager to begin with but then they ''stumble'' onto a convenient suicide note.

They wear the same uniform, I guess they share the same lame excuses and techniques to quickly solve cases.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Currently, Phuket has nearly 6,000 members of a volunteer security force active in tourist areas

uuh?? Who are these guys? I havn't seen 6,000 volunteer security guys patrolling in Phuket! Do they mean the beach hawkers in Patong or something?

Putting aside my flippant comments, statements like this should not be made if they are untrue, since they may give tourists a false sense of security.

Simon