A Year In Udonthani

siamsam

Hi Guys n' Gals. Life here in the uk is getting a little tedious so my wife and I are considering a break in her hometown, Udon, for a year. I can raise approx 30,000 baht month for the duration of the stay. We're not high maintanance, don't drink etc. Just good food, looking around, going for walks, maybe a daytrip or two - Mekhong and Laos. My wife has a modest little place there so we wouldn't have to pay any rent. 30,000 enough? Thanks in advance. Cheers

With rent paid? Man you will have no trouble at 30,000. Especially if your like me and don't drink. Here in Nong Khai its costing me about 3000 a month for rent and utilities, 250 baht a day to eat, and I spend abut 400 baht a week on TUK TUKs. Anything else is just pleasure so its kind of up to you how expensive it will be. I have no trouble at all on less than 30,000. Of course thats just for one person since my GF works and has her own money.

While living in Thailand my wife and I had a budget of 20k a month.

Didn`t feel that was a problem. We stayed upcountry most of the time, but did quite a bit of travelling as well.

This was admittedly a few years back, but I don`t think I would have any hesitations going back provided I would have an monthly allowance of 30k.

Not sure though if the missus these days would agree with me on that :o

What you however should consider is the cost of an international health insurance while staying there.

Now I have no idea what the cost of insurance is in your neck of the woods but this could definitely add up to a substantial amount.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

As stated you will have enough(30000 Baht)to live a modest life in UdonThani,if you don,t drink,don,t drive a car,like Thai food,live by relatives in a Thai house,it will be plenty.Most of the Farangs living here,there are many,myself included,spend a lot more,but it depends on the wife,of course. :o

Although my house and pick-up are paid for, my FG and I live in Issarn very comfortably on Bht 35,000 / month. I drink in moderation ( :o ) and smoke a little and we enjoy eating out quite a lot (generally Thai food but also farang food). You should manage easy on Bht 30,000 without the vices.

Yes.

Some people have complained in the past about my short posts so I will pad it out a bit to stop them complaining.

I think you will be able to live a modest lifestyle for one year on 360k

I get the same problem. If I can reply to a question in one or two lines, whyever would I need ten or more ?

The problem is not "can you live on 30K a month", it is whether the immigration will let you stay here for a year, with only 30K a month.

To get the one year visa, supporting a Thai wife you have to show 40K a month or 400K in the bank.

The problem is not "can you live on 30K a month", it is whether the immigration will let you stay here for a year, with only 30K a month.

To get the one year visa, supporting a Thai wife you have to show 40K a month or 400K in the bank.

In my limited heresay experience (UK based) you are able to obtain a 1 year multi-entry visa (90 day entry permit each time) without recourse to offering any financial backing whatsoever, whether you have a Thai wife or not.

I can't imagine immigration requiring you to prove evidence of Bht 400,000 (or the equivalent) at each of your re-entries. Not in my opinion anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
In my limited heresay experience (UK based) you are able to obtain a 1 year multi-entry visa (90 day entry permit each time) without recourse to offering any financial backing whatsoever, whether you have a Thai wife or not.

Hi, can you recall the type of visa you refer to? I too, no longer have 400Kb to show after paying out for my freak accident!

cheers

Hi, can you recall the type of visa you refer to? I too, no longer have 400Kb to show after paying out for my freak accident!

cheers

A multiple entry Non-Immigrant O class visa from abroad ( but it's not too likely to be granted in the S.E.A region ) Valid for a year and it enables stays of up to 90 days on each entry.

cheers

A multiple entry Non-Immigrant O class visa from abroad ( but it's not too likely to be granted in the S.E.A region ) Valid for a year and it enables stays of up to 90 days on each entry.

So, no need to show 400,000Bt in yr savings a/c to get a Type "O" (at BNE)?

cheers

That'd be right. :o

cheers

Nope, multiple entry (4) non immigrant visa on the bases of marriage to a thai can be obtained in a foreign embassy. This will give you 4 consecutive 90 day periods after each you must do a visa run. No money requirement.

The local embassy just needs proof of marriage. should be no hassel

Calculate the 4 visa runs into your budget at about 3000 bath each (depending on were you stay)

Just did the same and had no trouble with immigration whatsoever.

if your single then i guess it will be more difficult. Non O-a is only for marriage. Non B is for business maybe you can try trough that?

Ask Doc for more info , he nows the complete package.

Think the best you can do is a 90 day tourist visa :o

if your single then i guess it will be more difficult.  Non O-a is only for marriage. Non B is for business maybe you can try trough that? 

Ask Doc for more info , he nows the complete package.

Think the best you can do is a 90 day tourist visa :o

The O-A is only for retirement Dark. A double entry tourist visa extended twice and with one border crossing, gives a 6 month stay