Vai-roon's

george

We are reading about the "Vai-roon's". (Thai) Youths making problems, I understand.

What is the correct definition?

Hi George, :D

Several appropriate names spring to mind but I've settled for these three labels... :o

1.อันธพาล "ahnta-paan"=social evil doer (also คนพาล "kon paan")

2.นักเลง "nak-laeng"=hooligan; hoodlum; rascal

3.หัวไม้ "ho-a maai"=rogue;ruffian

Thanks for a great forum! :D

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

We are reading about the "Vai-roon's". (Thai) Youths making problems, I understand.

I take it George is interested in the connotations of the word "wai roon" in Thai...? :o

Anyway, thank you Snowleopard for further enriching my glossary. Keep em comin'!

I think a fair English equivalent for the word "wai roon" might be "youngsters". The Thai word in itself has no explicit negative connotations per se, but it is less formal than 'yawachon'.

:D

I take it George is interested in the connotations of the word "wai roon" in Thai...? :o

Anyway, thank you Snowleopard for further enriching my glossary. Keep em comin'!

I think a fair English equivalent for the word "wai roon" might be "youngsters". The Thai word in itself has no explicit negative connotations per se, but it is less formal than 'yawachon'.

I'd say 'teenager' would be the closest meaning...Under 12, and I still hear 'dek', never 'Wairoon'

I take it George is interested in the connotations of the word "wai roon" in Thai...? :D

I take it George is interested in the connotations of the word "wai roon" in Thai...? :D

What definition is thy true wish here,George? :D

All juveniles or only the offenders?

Please give us a sign! :o

Cheers. :wub:

Snowleopard.

youngsters was the word I think match Vai-roon's

I am writing an article, and was just curious.

Thanks!

Thanks!

I still say it's best for teenagers, not other ages outside 0f 13-18. Confirmed it with Thais plenty of times.

And there is no 'v' sound in Thai, so you can help the confusion by using 'W'... :D

Yawachon is for 'youngsters', but it's not age-connected, really. It just means literally, 'young person', but it is not the same as Wairoon, which does have age connotations, as I said above. Teenager is the best common translation for Wairoon. :D

Wai run is very close to 'teenager' and would serve as an appropriate translation, but it is arguably not as exact as 'teenager' which points directly at the age of a person. People aged 18-23 are sometimes referred to as 'wai run' by Thais I know.

Turning to English - Thai dictionaries (admittedly not always the best source to look in, but an indicator all the same), not a single one of my English - Thai dictionaries (4 in total) lists "wai run" for 'teenager'.

One Thai-English dictionary does however list 'teenager, adolescent' for wai run.

A very reliable source, Mary Haas' Student's dictionary lists three alternatives - 'to be young, adolescent, in ones teens'.

Wai run is very close to 'teenager' and would serve as an appropriate translation, but it is arguably not as exact as 'teenager' which points directly at the age of a person. People aged 18-23 are sometimes referred to as 'wai run' by Thais I know.

Turning to English - Thai dictionaries (admittedly not always the best source to look in, but an indicator all the same), not a single one of my English - Thai dictionaries (4 in total) lists "wai run" for 'teenager'.

One Thai-English dictionary does however list 'teenager, adolescent' for wai run.

A very reliable source, Mary Haas' Student's dictionary lists three alternatives - 'to be young, adolescent, in ones teens'.

Frankly, in my experience as a hs teacher here, and in the experience of the 4 Thai people I just phoned and asked, it is used normally exactly the same use as teenager. Dek, Wairoon, PuuYai...Never had any disagreement on that, or the age starting at 13, though one friend suggested that maybe when the age changes from 'kuap' to 'pii' at age 10 would be wairoon, too. I sensed he was grasping at straws, though :o

I would suggest that your friends who referred to PuuYai as Wairoons were likely commenting more on their character... :D

Yawachon, in my use, and the use I've seen it used in, is ageless, but does mean young person. In real use, it is used exactlly the same way as in English, also being used somewhat humouresly to mean relative to one's age, eg, Someone 25 years old, to me at my age, is a yawachon, mostly.

I love Mary Hass, and I'm glad she covered a few words in her definition, likely because of the obvious age overlap. :D

Thanks!

Hi George, :(

I'm gonnal try to clarify วัยรุ่น "wai ruhn" and some related words and give their definitions... :o

First the word วัย "wai" which is a prefix and means "age;years etc."

A synonym for วัย "wai" is อายุ "aa-yo"

(รุ่น "ruhn"=generation;class etc.)

Here are a few examples of words with the วัย "wai" prefix... :wub:

1.วัยทารก "wai taa-rok"=infancy

2.วัยเยาว์ " wai yaow"=babyhood (also juvenile)

3.วัยเด็ก "wai dek"=childhood years

4.วัยรุ่น "wai ruhn"=teenage (see full definition below)

5.วัยกลางคน "wai glaang kon"=middle age

6.วัยชรา "wai cha-raa";or,วัยแก่ "wai gae"=old age

7.วัยทำงาน "wai tham-ngaan"=working age

The definition of "wai tham-ngaan"=working age is:..วัยที่ใช้พลังทางร่างกายและสติปัญญาผลิตงานออกมา=The period a person has enough body strength and intelligence to be productive in the work force. :D

8.วัยผู้ใหญ่ "wai poo-yai"=adult age;adulthood

Let's now concentrate in more detail on the vocab describing those years of "metamorphosis"... :D

1a.วัยรุ่น "wai ruhn" (noun)=teenager; adolescent; youth; juvenile

1b.วัยรุ่น "wai ruhn" (adjective)=teenage; adolescent; boyish; girlish; juvenile; immature; young

definition:ระยะเวลาของอายุที่อยู่ในช่วงวัยรุ่นซึ่งมีอายุมากกว่าวัยเด็กแต่ยังไม่ถึงวัยผู้ใหญ่=The age period in life when one is a teenager.From the end of childhood but not an adult yet.

These synonyms are sometimes used for วัยรุ่น "wai ruhn": -_-

a)วัยกำดัด "wai gahm-daht"=teenage; adolescent; boyish; girlish; juvenile; immature; young

b.วัยหนุ่มสาว "wai nuhm-saow"= teenage; adolescent; young

c)วัยแรกรุ่น "wai raek ruhn"=puberty; adolescence; teens

d)วัยหนุ่มวัยสาว "wai nuhm wai saow"=youth; boyhood; girlhood; adolescence

e)เด็กวัยรุ่น "dek wai-ruhn"=adolescent; teenage

2.เยาวชน "yao-wa chon";= youth; juvenile;minor

Definition of เยาวชน "yao-wa chon"= บุคคลอายุเกิน 14 ปีบริบูรณ์ แต่ยังไม่ถึง 18 ปีบริบูรณ์ และมิใช่เป็นผู้บรรลุนิติภาวะแล้วด้วยการสมรส =A person over the age of 14 but under 18 and still not of age to get legally married.

3.ยุวชน "yoh-wa-chon"=juvenile;youth;young people

Juvenile can be all of the following:

a)ยุวชน "yoh-wa-chon"

b.วัยเด็ก "wai dek"

c)วัยเยาว์ "wai yaow"

d)เยาวชน "yao-wa chon"

e)เด็ก "dek"

4.หนุ่มสาว "nuhm-saow";คนหนุ่มสาว "khon nuhm-saow";คนหนุ่มคนสาว "kon nuhm kon saow"=youth

definition:ผู้อยู่ในวัยทำงานหรือวัยหนุ่มสาว=People of working age or young people;also,ที่มีอายุพ้นวัยเด็กแล้ว, ที่อยู่ในวัยทำงาน=One who has passed childhood and reached working age;and,อายุอยู่ในช่วงวัยรุ่น=a teenager

5.วัยเริ่มหนุ่มสาว "wai reum nuhm-saow"=puberty;pubescence;adolescence

6.วัยเด็ก "wai dek"=childhood; boyhood or girlhood; immaturity; infancy

Definition:ระยะที่อายุยังน้อย=The period when one is still small.

Synonyms:วัยเด็กเล็ก "wai dek lek";วัยต้น "wai dton";ปฐมวัย "patom-wai"

7.วัยสาว "wai saow"=girlhood; maidenhood

8.อ่อนวัย "oohn wai"=to be young

9.ช่วงวัยรุ่น "choo-ang wai-ruhn"=adolescence;teenage

Hope you can find some interesting tidbits among the above! :)

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

Thanks Snowleopard, great post! That must have taken a while!

:o

1a.วัยรุ่น "wai ruhn" (noun)=teenager; adolescent; youth; juvenile

1b.วัยรุ่น "wai ruhn" (adjective)=teenage; adolescent; boyish; girlish; juvenile; immature; young

definition:ระยะเวลาของอายุที่อยู่ในช่วงวัยรุ่นซึ่งมีอายุมากกว่าวัยเด็กแต่ยังไม่ถึงวัยผู้ใหญ่=The age period in life when one is a teenager.From the end of childhood but not an adult yet.

Your use of "teenager" in the translation of the Thai definition is inferred - the Thai just says "The period of one's life (age) where one is a 'wai run', that is older than a child but not yet an adult".

While this is certainly close to "teenager" (and I also advocate the use of teenager in a translation into a Western language, because anything else might sound weird) I still maintain that 'teenager' is not exactly the same thing as 'wai run'. Teenager explicitly has the element 'teen' as in thir-teen to eight-teen. There is no similar element in the Thai word, the Thai word just means "Beginning age" (the basic meaning of 'run' as far as I can tell is 'beginning' or 'dawn' - the dawn of one's life... my two cents... again.

And we're trying to compare to our own language, with pretty much the same issues in 'exact' translation, I'm naturally reacting with a lot of my own culture, and my own feeling about the word 'teenager' in English... To me, it has the obvious 'teen' part to give it the age limitations, but, for me, it also can be ageless, as a noun or adjective, and I might also use 'teenager' (jokingly) to refer to an adult as less-than-adult in terms of developement. And all the other thai definitions presented.... Same same as the Thais I've closely questioned and verified in use a number of times....minus the exact age definition. But, close enough, to me.

Many times these don't translate exactly in real life use , as we all know, making me even more determined to get it right, so then when I joke using this vocab, I don't hear 'farang baa' under someones breath along with blank stares.... :D

So, I've become slightly anal , perhaps, in some of my definitions? Like a narrowing of the mind sometimes, maybe? :D

Hey, safety first! :o

Meadish and snowleopard, thanks for your contributions :D