Starting Business In Thailand

i want to set up a business in thailand working as a golf pro but self employed.theres no job to go to there and im starting from scratch.i know the basics aboutsetting things up,emplying so many thais etc but these few main points i need to get straight before i go ahead im a british citizen with a thai wife

can some one be so kind and answer me the following.

1. How much money do i need to take to thailand to set up the company

2. How long does the procedure take.i would get non immigrant visa,and then go to thailand.so how many weeks from then would it take to complete

3. Is it possible they can refuse the application,or can everyone set up a company

thanks and i hope some 1 can help me out

i want to set up a business in thailand working as a golf pro but self employed.theres no job to go to there and im starting from scratch.i know the basics aboutsetting things up,emplying so many thais etc but these few main points i need to get straight before i go ahead im a british citizen with a thai wife

2. How long does the procedure take.i would get non immigrant visa,and then go to thailand.so how many weeks from then would it take to complete

3. Is it possible they can refuse the application,or can everyone set up a company

I don’t know why people have not given you an answer yet. Or maybe I do. lol

You got a Thai wife yes?

Then she can own the company and sponsor you a work permit and u get the non B.

Trust her or not I don’t know.

But this will be much easy then doing it your self as it will be Thai business in your wife’s name.

If you still want to do it your self you need the whole process and this forum has more then enough information on this topic.

Share holders, employers blah blah BS!!! Ect.

1. I can’t answer that I don’t know what golf pro business is.

2. If you have everything ready it take few days.

3. It’s possible to be refused but unlucky in my opinon

You’re welcome

I don't know why people have not given you an answer yet. Or maybe I do. lol

You got a Thai wife yes?

Then she can own the company and sponsor you a work permit and u get the non B.

Trust her or not I don't know.

But this will be much easy then doing it your self as it will be Thai business in your wife's name.

If you still want to do it your self you need the whole process and this forum has more then enough information on this topic.

Share holders, employers blah blah BS!!! Ect.

1. I can't answer that I don't know what golf pro business is.

2. If you have everything ready it take few days.

3. It's possible to be refused but unlucky in my opinon

You're welcome

Thanks very much for getting back to me.This sounds like good news.my wife is thai yes,if i can ask you just for 1 more favour and answer the following i would be most grateful.im so pleased someone finally got back to me.to give you more understanding on what i want to do is,my profession is im a qualifield Golf Professional.My job for the past 15 years is working in Germany giving golf lessons.

I want to go and live in thailand,and give golf lessons at a golf course there,two golf courses have agreed that i can bring my pupils to the golf course and teach them.but im not in anyway employed by anyone.it will be me. i have to build up my clients through word of mouth,advertising etc.

If the company is in my wifes name,what would her involvement be. we had not intended for her to do any work,though she may take care of the bookings for me.

what is my proceedure now.thanks very much for your time.

kind regards

Ok so what I know is if a business is run the Thai way and depending on business

Internet Company, restraint, ect

you still need to employ 4 people witch can just be nice family members who don’t do anything way.

But in your case I think she can register it and you’re the only golf teacher.

She opens a office near a few golf courses or where ever you chose and run it from there. You and her.

She collects the clients booking and you do the teaching. Or you can do both if she’s lazy. lol

Still to look very pro I think you will need some good capital but nothing like opening a bar or Grill.

But if you are a pro I think your business will do well.

If near Bangkok I’m Keen on learning.

But I have long hair and don’t want to cut . is there rules for this on the golf course?

So anyway.

You can just get a travel Visa for this. And get your Wife to Register everything.

And then leave the country when you want the Non B… Australia Perth is best to get.

But there are other plaices as well.

Or save time just get he Multiple entry NoN B VISA 1st. if that’s is possible or Not its unclear to me.

Id Call a law office here and ask them.

To give you the heads up nothing can really solve the problem about doing 90 days and 30 day Visa Runs.

Unless you have a few million $$ stashed somewhere..

But I enjoy visa runs. It’s a good day tip.

Im afraid ol' Blue Eyes isnt actually hitting the nail on the head here, and is giving you some duff advice along with occasional snippets of good.

What visa are you on right now? If you are a Non-O visa then you dont need 4 thai employees to get your work permit. Actually, you dont need 4 employees for a work permit anyway, you only need them to get your 'extension of stay' meaning to convert your non-immigrant visa from 3 months validity to 12. If you have a 12 month visa already through another route, then you have overcome of the biggest obstacles in the process that you are about to set out on.

Your company needs registered capital of 2 million THB to qualify to get a work permit. However, don't fret as only 25% of this has to be paid up in cash, and if you dont have that amount then there are legal ways around it.

Consult a decent lawyer. Its really not actually that difficult once you get into the process. Time frame is around a couple weeks for company incorporation.

I know a couple of guys who are Golf professionals here. One in Hua Hin who has been here for around 7 years and his business is doing very very well, and another in Bangkok who has been here around 15 years, while doing some events around Asia. It can be done, good luck with it!

Im afraid ol' Blue Eyes isnt actually hitting the nail on the head here, and is giving you some duff advice along with occasional snippets of good.

What visa are you on right now? If you are a Non-O visa then you dont need 4 thai employees to get your work permit. Actually, you dont need 4 employees for a work permit anyway, you only need them to get your 'extension of stay' meaning to convert your non-immigrant visa from 3 months validity to 12. If you have a 12 month visa already through another route, then you have overcome of the biggest obstacles in the process that you are about to set out on.

Your company needs registered capital of 2 million THB to qualify to get a work permit. However, don't fret as only 25% of this has to be paid up in cash, and if you dont have that amount then there are legal ways around it.

Consult a decent lawyer. Its really not actually that difficult once you get into the process. Time frame is around a couple weeks for company incorporation.

I know a couple of guys who are Golf professionals here. One in Hua Hin who has been here for around 7 years and his business is doing very very well, and another in Bangkok who has been here around 15 years, while doing some events around Asia. It can be done, good luck with it!

My advice is not Duff.

No lawyer or immigration officer as ever pointed out what u just said.

I am on the B visa.

It is easy as I said.

Unless I'm just very lucky?

My advice is that he's wife run the company the Thai way.

2000000 baht for a work permit. It depends on what company They run.

And what approach they take.

Did your other golf buddies start there company in there wife's name or there name.?

My advice is not what I'm guessing its what I living ~

And I didn't mean he needs 4 workers for a work permit.

I meant to say, even a Thai company needs 4 workers to run properly under Thai law that's not enforced very well.

And not always the case depending on what company they run.

Yes he is right. O visa might make this even easier.

I’m staying clear of this to see how it changes in the future

Sorry for the confusion on the 4 workers.

Unless you want 4 people to carry your clubs.

Edited by bkkblueeyes

My advice is not Duff.

No lawyer or immigration officer as ever pointed out what u just said.

I am on the B visa.

It is easy as I said.

Unless I'm just very lucky?

My advice is that he's wife run the company the Thai way.

2000000 baht for a work permit. It depends on what company They run.

And what approach they take.

Did your other golf buddies start there company in there wife's name or there name.?

My advice is not what I'm guessing its what I living ~

And I didn't mean he needs 4 workers for a work permit.

I meant to say, even a Thai company needs 4 workers to run properly under Thai law that's not enforced very well.

And not always the case depending on what company they run.

Yes he is right. O visa might make this even easier.

I’m staying clear of this to see how it changes in the future

Sorry for the confusion on the 4 workers.

Unless you want 4 people to carry your clubs.

Let me point out some errors in your advice. Please take it in the spirit in which it is meant.

1) Why would you let your wife run your company? Do you not want to retain control yourself?

2)2,000,000THb is required for ANY company to acquire a work permit, unless in certain circumstances such as export only or BOI approval which do not apply in the OP's case.

3) How do you run a company in the 'Thai' way?

4) A company cannot be registered in the name of 1 person. There needs to be a minimum of 7 shareholders. (Until a recent ruling where this can now be reduced to 3, but thats another story.)

5) 4 staff are not needed to apply for a work permit.

6) A Thai Co. Ltd. does not need to have 4 staff to operate under any of the current regualtions.

7) Saying what you mean is very important, especially when dealing with legal matters. Its of VITAL importance.

Now, im off to make my lunch. Oh no im not, what i mean is that im going to watch the F1. :o

^ Slight ammendment. I believe, but am not too sure that if you are married to a Thai, then the company that employs you needs only 1 million baht of capitalisation.

I’m getting slightly annoyed.

Ill take it you’ve don’t everything the hard way

And you don’t have a Thai wife you would trust in business or she dose not do nice things for you.

So I will forgive you this time.

Did you read my comment about the (I’m sorry for the confusion the 4 Staff), Can ya drop it already?

The Thai way is the Thai way Not the Thai way is the farang way, Got it?

I also pointed out the getting the O visa will be even more Easier.

I gave this man a answer that will make life a little easier

And I still gave him advice on calling a Law firm about the right visa.

I did not give him advice on breaking the law.

Not only!! I also speak from experience.

I’m happy that you point out something that I missed. 1 mill for a sponsor it was not the case in my Sitcho!!

If that’s the case then he should really try for the O visa if he has the cash.

Its husband and wife thing…Not a LTD .co Thing.

OMG im starting to sould like a old fart.--.--

thanks for the help on this topic.

know im rather confused.im in the uk now.my wife is thai and i want to start golf teaching in thailand.i apply here in the uk for a non immigrant visa.when i get it,do i need to do anything else here in the uk or do i come to thailand.

do i need 2 million baht,some say 1 million,some say 25%,im stuck on this one.

like the idea bkk about 4 people to carry my clubs.and no if u have long hair most clubs will still let you play golf.apart from scotland,where at one club there used to be a sign which said NO DOGS AND NO WOMEN allowed into the clubhouse.

once again appreciate the help

thanks moon for your help

You should contact a real pro --- like Sunbelt Asia. I have no idea if it ios even legato be a foriegner golf-pro in Thailand.

well im sure it is jdinasia,there are over 40 foriegners there doing this kind of work

Yes moonfruit pointed out he knows golf pros in Thai.

I’m sure it’s a professional job in Thailand and around Asia.

The NoN O visa you will need to have records of over 40,000 Baht Per Month.

Or over 800,000 safely stashed in your bank account and a marriage certificate.

I could be wrong about the 800k it might not be allowed anymore.

This makes life a little easy.

If for some reason you don’t turn over that amount you will need the non B.

For the Non B visa you just need to send over your information to Sunbelt and they can sponsor

You the visa.

Once again it’s a lot easier for your wife to own the company name. LTD or not.

If the problem about 7 shear holders and such comes along.

PM me I know fairly easy steps around this.

In return for free golf lesions. lol

Good luck.

Just a couple of points:

1. Outside of greater Bangkok, most jurisdictions do require four Thai employees, just to get a work permit. Outside of Bangkok, many jurisdictions also require bank certification evidence of paying up 2,000,000 baht. It is only for companies with an address in Bangkok that you can routinely obtain a work permit with no Thai employees, and without even having opened a bank account. Even Samutprakarn and Minburi - to give two examples - do not follow the Bangkok rules.

2. Since anti-nominee rules were implemented in August 2006, in oder to register a company that has any foreigners listed as sole-signing directors, or has foreigners owning 40% or more of company shares - AT TIME OF INCORPORATION - then all Thai shareholders must submit bank certification evidence demonstrating that they have sufficient disposable cash to pay for their subscribed shares.

Anyone in this thread who is providing information based in incorporations that happened more than 20 months ago, is providing insufficiently complete information.

If your plan is to set up a Golf Pro business based outside of Bangkok, much of the information in this thread is also insufficiently complete, if not flat out wrong.

Good luck.

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

www.thaistartup.com

Just a couple of points:

1. Outside of greater Bangkok, most jurisdictions do require four Thai employees, just to get a work permit. Outside of Bangkok, many jurisdictions also require bank certification evidence of paying up 2,000,000 baht. It is only for companies with an address in Bangkok that you can routinely obtain a work permit with no Thai employees, and without even having opened a bank account. Even Samutprakarn and Minburi - to give two examples - do not follow the Bangkok rules.

2. Since anti-nominee rules were implemented in August 2006, in oder to register a company that has any foreigners listed as sole-signing directors, or has foreigners owning 40% or more of company shares - AT TIME OF INCORPORATION - then all Thai shareholders must submit bank certification evidence demonstrating that they have sufficient disposable cash to pay for their subscribed shares.

Anyone in this thread who is providing information based in incorporations that happened more than 20 months ago, is providing insufficiently complete information.

If your plan is to set up a Golf Pro business based outside of Bangkok, much of the information in this thread is also insufficiently complete, if not flat out wrong.

Good luck.

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

www.thaistartup.com

Yo indo ~

How much indo-Siam Group for this service you maybe able to provid

Let me guess you faring right?

So my answer about having 4 employs did have some truth to it after all.

What is black and brown and looks good on a Lawyer

My Doberman!!

Cheers.

Blue Eyes -

I sent you a response via PM.

I am an American.

I am not a lawyer. I am a businessman who employs lawyers, to carry out business strategies.

My background (once upon a time) was as a US Army Officer.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Blue Eyes -

I sent you a response via PM.

I am an American.

I am not a lawyer. I am a businessman who employs lawyers, to carry out business strategies.

My background (once upon a time) was as a US Army Officer.

Cheers!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Sorry I was AFK.

PM sent Back.

I was in the ADF for 18Months.

Wish they pay for my dental now.

Cheers.

Just a couple of points:

Good luck.

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

Bangkok

www.thaistartup.com

cheers steve,i have received a lot of advise on this subject but still not clear on how to get things started

Is this something your company can set up for me.If it is then let me know what i need to start off with. (visa, 2 million baht,etc)

cheers

Add Chonburi to that list.

Acquired WP without hassles (well, a little hassle about the pictures of place of employment, but the lady officer was most helpful in how the pictures should be to ensure acceptance) on a company without any banking evidence and without any Thai employees.

Applied with a stated salary of 30,000 Baht/month, as the WP is not needed for a 1 year extension...

Again, Chonburi seems to be quit lenient then. Recently registered a company with 49% Foreign shareholding, admittedly with a Thai signing director, without the need of any of the Thai shareholders to provide anything else then a copy of their ID cards and a bunch of signatures.

In my 15 years in Thailand, all these offices have been extremely helpful and easy going, with the noted exception of immigration.

Again, Chonburi seems to be quit lenient then. Recently registered a company with 49% Foreign shareholding, admittedly with a Thai signing director, without the need of any of the Thai shareholders to provide anything else then a copy of their ID cards and a bunch of signatures.

Very interesting report. This rule is strictly enforced in Bangkok. Here is the text:

Order of the Business Registration Office

Department of Business Development

Order No. 102/2549

Specification of supplementary document required for the partnership and company limited registration.

--------------------------------

Pursuant to the Order of the Business Registration Office No. 1/2538 Regulations for the Partnership and Company Registration B.E.2538, dated on March 13, 1995 (BE 2538), stipulates that the person, who desires to register a partnership and company limited, is subjected to submit the application form and the supplementary document complying to the appendix of the aforementioned Order;

Now, under the Condition 3, Clause 3, of the Ministerial Regulation regarding to the establishment of the Business Registration Office, the appointment of the registrar and the determination of the rules and regulations for the partnership and company limited registration B.E.2549 which is issued under the Civil and Commercial Code (in the section regarding to the Partnership and Company), the Registrar General hereby stipulates the rules and regulations for the registration of the partnership and company limited which has the foreigner(s) holds the shares of the partnership or company at the proportion begins from 40% but less than 50% of the registered investment capital, or the foreigner holds the shares less than 40% of the registered capital and the foreigner is authorized to act on behalf of the said partnership or the company limited. For the aforementioned case, all Thai national shareholders are subjected to submit the evidences showing the source of the investment together with the application form of the business registration. The said evidence shall contain the detail of the amount of money which matches to the amount of the investment that each Thai shareholder has invested in the Company or the partnership. The required evidence shall be one of the following documents:

1. Copy of the bank statement of the most recent record of the last 6 months or;

2. any document which issued by the Bank to certify the financial status of the shareholder or;

3. Copy of the evidence that shows the source of the investment that the Thai shareholder invested in the partnership or company limited.

This regulation shall be commencing in full force from this August 15, 2006.

Order dated on July 20, 2006

Ms. Orrajit Singkhalawanitch

Director-general of Department of Business Development

The Registrar General

• 1 month later...

may i just check with you on the regstered capital of 2 million THB...25% has to be paid up in cash as in as a fee? or to secured capital/??

thks!