Why Teach

mbkudu

After doing some research on teaching in other regions in South East Asia, I have come to the conclusion that other countries like Vietnam or even Cambodia

may be a better bet than Thaialnd. In Vietnam one can get a B visa, a business visa for six months and this entitles the visa holder to work legally, just like that.

The pay for some jobs even seems to be higher. I'm wondering if these up and coming countries might cause a 'brain drain' of Farang teachers in Thailand. The

opportunities in Indochina seem very promising indeed.

A good point, but on the other hand the governments of those countries are not exactly the friendliest or easiest to get along with, even if "reformed"- and I'd find it a drag to have an official political censor watching me in the schools and my own squad of spies keeping an eye on me.

Don't know about Cambodia, but I think I prefer a bit more "developed" lifestyle than it can now provide (i.e., access to at least one or two good bookstores); plus the safety considerations...

"Steven"

Yes, Steven, I see what you mean, but I am thinking about the future. These countries are developing very, very fast and will undoubtably attract more good teachers away from Thailand. In a way it might be a good thing for teachers in Thailand because it will thin things out possibly causing wages to rise. At the moment these smaller countries are making visa applications seem very welcoming compared to the BS that Thailand dishes out to its foreign teachers.

ijwt, I agree.

You rarely hear of people suggesting Singapore or Malaysia, yet they pay the highest wages in the region, and have the most straight-forward and basically honest bureaucratic system in SE Asia, for sure.

So, why are people interested specifically in these other 2 countries now?

I'm pretty sure it's more than salary and visas. I figure, for some, if it didn't have 'nighttime entertainment' as least as good as Thailand, most interest would drop like a stone...

I would look more at overall quality of life. For me, I don't live in Malaysia or Singapore simply because I don't like rules, and I don't like a lack of freedom of religion, freedom of speech, etc. I worked in Indonesia for a year, and though I love the people I met, the religion issues were always an issue with everyone, everywhere. Just too uptight for me.

I think many of the people living here and looking for greener pastures feel similar to me, and when they consider moving, those are among the most important issues for many. Hence, the reason many of us ended up in Thailand.

Also, things like ' does the power go off often?' ...or 'is it safe?'..... For me, Vietnam and Cambodia would be at the bottom of the list for places to live. I want the relative comfort and quality that Thailand offers. And the fact that if you have money, life can be quite sweet here, works for me, now. It didn't when I first came here, when I started a new life and a new career here- at 6,036 baht per month, full time, plus housing... I worked hard, and played it pretty smart I feel. I've always said that any sharp teacher can make quite decent money here, and I'm proof of that...From my working in Thailand, I was able to save enough money to retire comfortably on. And no really bad memories of jobs, either. Sure can't say that about jobs I held in America, but most of my working adult life has been spent here. And life has always been good here for me. Always...

I'm settled here now, but I sure know the feeling of wanting to explore the 'other side', where the grass looks greener. It actually was greener for me here in Thailand, which of course leaves hope that there is another place with even greener grass. I'm not going anywhere, but I sure support everyone trying to find a place where they're happy. And, hopefully, contributing as much as they've received... :o

Great perspective Ajarn and Steven.

It is about what's important. For some, it's money and they go elsewhere like Taiwan and Japan. For others, it's novelty and "adventure", so they might go to Cambodia or China where things are more rough and ready.

Thought I had something more to say, but I maybe I don't. Your level headedness is appreciated. There -- that's what I wanted to say.

I really want to make a go at the teaching occupation in Thailand when I retire from my current job. I'm going to play it safe and work a couple more years to have enough to live on and also save a good chunk every month though. Don't want to be in a position where I have to depend on the TEFL/TESL salary. I'll only be 45 or 46 when I make this leap in a couple of years but I'll be the first to admit I don't think I'd do it without the huge safety net my current career is going to provide me. All that being said, my real motivation is to be more human service oriented to give something back to the world. I can see myself spending most of my TEFL/TESL salary right back into whatever school I'm at if allowed. There is a school right down the road from where I think I'm going to live up around Phichit and I may just do it for free.

All that being said, my real motivation is to be more human service oriented to give something back to the world.

^ Give it time and I'm sure that will change :o

Yours,

Cynical KK

I'm alreay cynical and pessimistic...wanna try the "We are the World" side for a spell !! Besides, you already know I'll be in the baht 6 figures a month range anyway, why do I need more !

I thought people always needed more? If not why do all these multi multi multi millionaires continue to work?

It's never enough!

Just being a git, sorry mate :o

Suppose you're right...but to tell you the truth, I just might not be able to deal with any structure once I retire anyway. It's a loft idea to think about teaching whether it's for free or for money right now...but in the long run I'm just as likely to roll over in the morning and tell myself, "Self, you're getting payed to sleep in everyday, what do you need to get up for?"

Hey Ken,

I'm enrolled in this Masters in Human Relations (MHR) program with the University of Oklahoma...piece of cake non-thesis program and the whole idea was to get an easy MA to compliment a CV for a teaching job once I get to Thailand...in about 780 days. But I'm already wanting to say screw it...a six figure pension with annual COLA adjustments and I only need 60-80K baht a month to live pretty decent so <deleted> am I doing playing student ? ! I think I told you once before in a thread that I can go to school for 36 months on my government's dosh, right ? After all expenses (tuition, books, fees) I'd be able to pocket about 25-30K baht per month...and I'm already wondering if I even want to do that ! I might just decide to be a totally lazy beach bum !