Taxation Rates On Alcohol

makavelithedon

Hi all,

Does anyone know what the taxation rate is on alcohol if I walk through the declared red lane at customs ? I was thinking of grabbing a few bottles of my favourite exotics in Gulf state duty free on my way back which is loads cheaper than here. Just thought if it was only going to cost me 100-200 baht etc I'd grab 3 or 4 bottles. Or is it the usual whatever rate they can think up stuff?

I don't fancy getting stopped going through 'nothing to declare' and end up like those guys a while back being thrown to the wolves over a few personal cigarettes they brought on holiday because they didn't like the brands in Thailand!

Thanks

Mak

There was a previous thread on this a while back, which had the import duties listed. However the conclusion that was that if you bring in more than you are allowed, and go through the 'goods to declare' channel, you will lose the booze and get a fine, as you cannot bring in over the duty free limit without an import agreement.

Best bet is just get a couple of bottles, put them in your suitcase, and go through nothing to declare.

I would tend to agree with the advice of taking it in the "nothing to declare" channel, if we are talking about a couple of bottles. I think by pretending to be stupid, which should come natural to most of us, you would be OK. Worst case let them take the offending bottle(s), or pay a "fee". But why bother, booze is chap in Thailand, so just save yourself the hassle of carrying it, and buy it here. Anyway.

But sweetchariot, your advice of putting said bottles in the suitcase might not be so good. I did that some years ago, flying into Frankfurt from South Africa. I put two one-liter bottles in the suitcase, one was gin, the other was yes, Martini rosso. A very pungent, very colourful liquid. And of course, with a little help from my favourite baggage "handlers", both bottles broken. Suitcase content fully soaked with said liquids.

Proceeded to empty the full content of suitcase in bathtub, trying to separate out most of the glass shards (shrapnel?), and to rinse the worst of the Martini and gin out of my clothes, needed the next day for meetings. Then call hotel front desk, and get emergncy cleaning and pressing done. Plus some shopping. Imagine turning up to important business meetings with clothes reeking of booze!

All for 2 bottles of booze, and wasn't even trying to save money, just lazy.

I would tend to agree with the advice of taking it in the "nothing to declare" channel, if we are talking about a couple of bottles. I think by pretending to be stupid, which should come natural to most of us, you would be OK. Worst case let them take the offending bottle(s), or pay a "fee". But why bother, booze is chap in Thailand, so just save yourself the hassle of carrying it, and buy it here. Anyway.

But sweetchariot, your advice of putting said bottles in the suitcase might not be so good. I did that some years ago, flying into Frankfurt from South Africa. I put two one-liter bottles in the suitcase, one was gin, the other was yes, Martini rosso. A very pungent, very colourful liquid. And of course, with a little help from my favourite baggage "handlers", both bottles broken. Suitcase content fully soaked with said liquids.

Proceeded to empty the full content of suitcase in bathtub, trying to separate out most of the glass shards (shrapnel?), and to rinse the worst of the Martini and gin out of my clothes, needed the next day for meetings. Then call hotel front desk, and get emergncy cleaning and pressing done. Plus some shopping. Imagine turning up to important business meetings with clothes reeking of booze!

All for 2 bottles of booze, and wasn't even trying to save money, just lazy.

Turning up smelling of a Martini would not be a good look. A great conversation starter in the new clothes, but not he professional business look. :o