Why The Bahts Sudden Fall?

My guess is the dollar had about bottomed out last week unless the U.S. recession takes a further downturn, which I don't think will happen. Bush will be doing everything possible to keep his legacy from degrading any more, as evidenced by the Fed moves and the Bear bailout, etc.

Dem presses are running hot trying to keep the funny green rolling into the system.

Kim Jong Il has also put his presses in 3 shift mode as well.

Shortly we will be using green toilet paper with pictures of dead presidents on it :o

Long live the Euro!

BB

The graph you are referring to is a one day trade (23 march).

You can 't draw any conclusions from such a short trade satisitc.

Look at the 3 month trade, and you will see that THB is very volatile (actually already since the last months of former Taksin govment). It jumps up and down seemingly without much control. But as long as it keeps around 30/32 to the $ i would not think of anything alarming.

Printing more dollars and pumping them in to the system is only postponing the inevitable. It's out of control. Expect some very bad news in coming weeks.

Yes - expect the euro to tank.

it seems the price of oil,foreign debt are catching up. however they will not lie down quietly. watch china. also russian oil.

My guess is the dollar had about bottomed out last week unless the U.S. recession takes a further downturn, which I don't think will happen. Bush will be doing everything possible to keep his legacy from degrading any more, as evidenced by the Fed moves and the Bear bailout, etc.

The worst is yet to come according to several former Federal Reserve Board Governors that were interviewed on Bloomberg over the weekend.

There is nothing Bush can do to stop things from getting worse. He is responsible for this situation. The damage is already done.

Printing more dollars and pumping them in to the system is only postponing the inevitable. It's out of control. Expect some very bad news in coming weeks.

Exactly. What is happening is a potential global financial crisis. Let's keep an eye on what is happening in Thailand. Exchange rates are terrible, inflation is high. Thailand is an export-based economy and one that relies heavily on tourism. It can't afford a strong Baht. Prices on rice exports are to the moon. Gold prices continue to rise and people are being layed off from Thai gold shops. I've been monitoring prices in the grocery store and prices have been steadily rising over the last six months even on items manufactured in Thailand. Things do not look in the near-term all over the world.

To answer the original question... I believe it is because of the sudden drop in commodity prices. Folks that were selling the dollar short globally

and running up commodity prices (the dollar & commodity prices generally moving in opposite directions) had to cover their butts as commodities took

a beating: gold down from 1300 per ounce to 940 or so. The dollar appreciated against all currencies I think.