Thais Scramble To Allay Tourist Fears After Recent Assaults

sbk

Unfortunately, most female tourists are unaware of these cultural attitudes. And so, find themselves victimised and even murdered because they haven't been made aware of certain cultural expectations. Perhaps pamphlets should be handed out to all women travellers to Thailand warning them that, although it appears to be quite safe and liberal, cultural expectations are different and that women need to be more cautious and more careful.

I don't see how it's a big mystery considering that some of the conservative cultural expectations are written into just about every single lonely planet and other guide book on Thailand. I think the truth is most tourists choose to actively disregard it..out of disdain or arrogance for the local culture we'll never know but they do so at their own peril.

Well then in that case, they may as well stop marketing Thailand as a Western holiday destination.

How is it possible to hold Thai culture in any type of esteem when several of the major tourist destinations are overrun with red light districts?

Is this different from anywhere else in the world? The women who work in those red light districts live separate lives from mainstream thai society. It's not hard to figure that one out.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phuket touts itself as a world class beach resort destination. This will not last long if women are getting raped and/or murdered for wearing bikinis on a beach in the middle of the day.

Phuket needs to take a good hard look at what it is promoting, and what security it offers for its guests. You cannot be a 5 star beach destination catering for foreigners if those foreigners find themselves getting murdered on the beach.

Phuket touts itself as a world class beach resort destination. This will not last long if women are getting raped and/or murdered for wearing bikinis on a beach in the middle of the day.

Phuket needs to take a good hard look at what it is promoting, and what security it offers for its guests. You cannot be a 5 star beach destination catering for foreigners if those foreigners find themselves getting murdered on the beach.

..and its crime rate is still far lower than vacationing in a European or U.S. equivalent resort. I'm definitely no "thailand is perfect" poster but some of the comments here make me wonder if people ever leave their homes. Random violent crime can happen anywhere in the world. There is a certain colonial mentality that i'm detecting that the "locals" should be quarantined somewhere so the moneyed expats/tourists can do whatever they want.

One of my female Thai colleagues commented that the 2 people killed in Kanchanaburi bought it on themselves for insulting a policeman. I suspect that this is the attittude of Thais in general as several other Thais in my office held the same views.

lao po
It has -also- to do with the responsibility of the Thai Government, education of the male-population and adaption to the behavior of inbound tourists as well as a certain kind of higher civilization in the afore mentioned three countries.

tourists are advised not to walk around wearing thick gold chains around their necks , if they do they are likely to be targeted by opportunist thieves.

when such robberies occur , the victim is often blamed for bringing the attack upon themselves.

the same care should be taken by women with their dress , they are not on the french riviera here.

nobody is blaming the victims here , its just the application of common sense , and an understanding of seeing things through thai eyes and not western eyes.

opportunist attackers do frequent these areas , and its a fact of thai life that western women are seen as sexually liberated by some thai men. those are facts , and its no good expecting the males to suddenly start to think and act like westerners , perhaps we should be thinking more like thais when in these situations , and taking the necessary precautions.

thai women , for the most part take great care when in remote areas , they wouldnt go alone , and they wouldnt dress in a way that would appear provocative to the local males , they know the possibilities of what may happen , they read about it daily in the thai press.

yes, attitudes towards western women in swimsuits should change towards the more respectful attitudes of the west , but until then , visitors need to be aware of how they are seen by locals , especially when alone with unsophisticated people.

Very well said taxexile. Tourists should ALWAYS take precautions when traveling to ANY foreign countries. Indeed Thai girls would not go alone to a remote beach provocatively dressed. They are well aware of what could happen. When I was at Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro a few years back, I saw some European tourists that were angry because they had been robbed at knife-point. It turns out that they wore their gold chains and Rolex watches to the beach. I am not in any way blaming the victim in this case. I am just saying that people need to be more cautious when traveling - especially when they are alone. It is just plain common sense.

Unfortunately, most female tourists are unaware of these cultural attitudes. And so, find themselves victimised and even murdered because they haven't been made aware of certain cultural expectations. Perhaps pamphlets should be handed out to all women travellers to Thailand warning them that, although it appears to be quite safe and liberal, cultural expectations are different and that women need to be more cautious and more careful.

I don't see how it's a big mystery considering that some of the conservative cultural expectations are written into just about every single lonely planet and other guide book on Thailand. I think the truth is most tourists choose to actively disregard it..out of disdain or arrogance for the local culture we'll never know but they do so at their own peril.

Well then in that case, they may as well stop marketing Thailand as a Western holiday destination.

How is it possible to hold Thai culture in any type of esteem when several of the major tourist destinations are overrun with red light districts?

Is this different from anywhere else in the world? The women who work in those red light districts live separate lives from mainstream thai society. It's not hard to figure that one out.

So this isn't part of Thai society? So we only acknowledge the good bits then and ignore the vice. Sorry while I polish my rose tinted spectacles.

Looks like a rather large thing to randomly ignore.

In the world of cheap airfares the competition for a safe and stress free holiday destinaiton will only get harder.

As SBK said, they won't go very far advising tourists not to wear bikinis on the beaches or risk being raped.

Maybe Thailand is still safer than other countries, but this year it looks like an open season already.

>>>

The real problem is the relative lack of respect for women and human life in Thai society general. Rapes and murders are only symptoms.

..and its crime rate is still far lower than vacationing in a European or U.S. equivalent resort. I'm definitely no "thailand is perfect" poster but some of the comments here make me wonder if people ever leave their homes. Random violent crime can happen anywhere in the world. There is a certain colonial mentality that i'm detecting that the "locals" should be quarantined somewhere so the moneyed expats/tourists can do whatever they want.

First, I really would doubt that the crime rate in Thailand is lower than resort places in the US or Europe. Perhaps it is, I dont have the statistics and might not believe the Thai reporting anyway. I cannot remember the last story of a policeman killing a tourist in either regions, but I do know of a few instances in Thailand. Not to say it does not happen, but I am hard pressed to believe Thailand is safer than either of those places from personal experience.

You are correct that violent crime can happen anywhere, we have records going back thousands of years to prove it. The difference in modern society versus cave society is simply and only the rule of law. The ability to create a social framework which keeps the violence down to reasonable levels, and honestly the goal is completely to eliminate what we define as antisocial behavior. I think we can all agree that goal cannot be achieved for no more reason than we could not all agree on the definition.

I think that is the topic of conversation here, I dont see any "colonial" posturing of isolating the natives. Only a Western misperception that the rule of law should exist here and protect us in a manner which we came to expect in the west. In that regard, you are correct. Things dont work that way here despite the appearances. The article indirectly is talking specifically about these misperceptions and the inherent danger within. If Thailand wants to attract high end tourists, or tourism of any sort, it will require the hard work of creating and sustaining an environment that does not leave people dead or raped. If that means quarantine like certain parts of Mexico or the Caribbeans, well then your right, it is a colonial mentality but probably a necessary one if they intend on sustaining tourism.

Its not a matter of allowing tourists to do what they want. Its a matter of tourists obeying the law, and not getting killed in return. If Thai men have that big of a problem with exposed skin (and come on now.... ) then simply tali ban it and inform all tourists of the ban. We have a little cultural book to get tourists in line with the Thai way, just add a few lines about prosecuting anyone exposing themselves. Put the morality police on the beach and start putting women in jail for wearing a bikini, what do you think that will do for tourism.

In the end, it all comes down to money. The Thais will continue to promote tourism for the money it brings in, and fail to protect either tourists or citizens with the rule of law. IHT will continue to publish warnings, the embassy will publish warnings, and our mom will tell us to be careful, and yet next week some poor naive/ignorant/stupid tourist will piss off or titilate the wrong person and pay a dreadful price. Shangri-La we aint but its easy to mistake Thailand for Shangri-La if you dont know any better....

Choochart Suwannakom, commander of the national Tourist Police:

Choochart played down the recent killings, saying, "I believe security in Thailand is better than in many other countries." He also said that some of the attacks were occasioned by the behavior of the women themselves. Under a front-page photograph of a Western woman in a skimpy bikini, The Bangkok Post quoted Choochart as saying, "They tend to choose a quiet spot away from other people, take off the bikini and sunbathe. That's when the attackers strike."

It's an utter scandal what this @ssXc#@ said.... :o:D:D

LaoPo

We in the west have disposed of any sense of responsibility. At the end of the day, we are all animals put on this planet to breed. You seem to expect that in other parts of the world from the usa people may see the removal of clothes and the exposure of sexual organs as anything other than sexual. If I waved my willy about on Patong beach I would be a child molester and criminal. If a woman exposes herself it seems to be a matter of "personal choice" and everybody elses fault around her if that is a problem.

What the hel_l else could exposure of the body be expected to bring about other than a stimualtion of the sexual organs of the viewer?

Would you have the same sypathy for me if I wandered round Sukhumvit road with 1,000,000 baht in notes strung round my neck in a chain and somebody robbed me.

This is a tragic and dispicable crime by any standards, but attacking Thais for suggesting that their opinions on the matter make them arseholeels if they don;t entirely correspond with westen thinking is a distraction from the crime.

This is not the US, and the populace are pretty conservative here. That inculdes many in the expat community, contrary to the opinions of some. Some people are entitled to their view that not exposing sexual organs may reduce the risk of exciting some wierdo (note, I did say wierdo!) and reduce the risk of the crime.

Can I call you an arsehollee on here if I disagree with something you say? Thought not! So don't try and come back at me saying I am excusing rape and any other standard responses you have to people of different opinions.

I agree with Dupont in this matter.

[/i] & ""They tend to choose a quiet spot away from other people, take off the bikini and sunbathe. That's when the attackers strike.

Now, I challenge you, Sir, WHERE you have seen (Farang) girls/women in Thailand who take off their bikini's to sunbath nud_e, enabling attackers to strike (read: rape and murder them).

:o

LaoPo

I agree, no one has been raped OR murdered whilst sunbathing in any state of dress. They seem to get it while walking around clothed within the parameters of the law.

This man needs to issue an apology or be fired. He is a sexist bigot.

I

All over Thailand men and women sunbathe topless. It only seems to be an excuse for violence when women do it, I notice.

The place Hanna was slaughtered isn't that remote, you can see the umbrellas at the bungalows she was staying at. She was wearing a bikini taking a walk at high noon ( The Nation reports in 3 separate articles the attack took place at night ) and was on the return leg when attacked .

This isn't about being horny. This is about hating women because of the sexual power they have.

I want to know if Mr. Tankae was raised Muslim cause I think that has a huge bearing.

Sexually suppressed boys grow to be rapists and murderers. I don't believe for moment he needed a huge kithchen knife to rape her, he is a large man who ould have easily overpowered her. He was going to kill her no matter what, and he should get the death penalty.

Anyone have any idea why initial reports had the police looking for several attackers???

It was reported in the Nation the 2 fisherman on Samui who murdered Katherine Horton, the young Welsh woma, are serving lifetime sentences, not death. Any sourced news, reliable sourced news I should say- on this??

A few points:

1) Mai Khao Beach is very quiet and quite remote and there are very few people there. The umbrella's you saw in the photo will likely have been rented from one of the food vendors.

2) Farang females, tourists mostly, sunbathe topless at the tourist beaches - local females do not in fact if anything they overdress for the occasion, there's a clue there.

3) Western reports of the reenactment suggest strongly that the "culprit" was seconded for the reenactment only and that the real killer(s) is/are still at large.

Choochart Suwannakom, commander of the national Tourist Police:

Choochart played down the recent killings, saying, "I believe security in Thailand is better than in many other countries." He also said that some of the attacks were occasioned by the behavior of the women themselves. Under a front-page photograph of a Western woman in a skimpy bikini, The Bangkok Post quoted Choochart as saying, "They tend to choose a quiet spot away from other people, take off the bikini and sunbathe. That's when the attackers strike."

It's an utter scandal what this @ssXc#@ said.... :o:D:D

LaoPo

We in the west have disposed of any sense of responsibility. At the end of the day, we are all animals put on this planet to breed. You seem to expect that in other parts of the world from the usa people may see the removal of clothes and the exposure of sexual organs as anything other than sexual. If I waved my willy about on Patong beach I would be a child molester and criminal. If a woman exposes herself it seems to be a matter of "personal choice" and everybody elses fault around her if that is a problem.

What the hel_l else could exposure of the body be expected to bring about other than a stimualtion of the sexual organs of the viewer?

Would you have the same sypathy for me if I wandered round Sukhumvit road with 1,000,000 baht in notes strung round my neck in a chain and somebody robbed me.

This is a tragic and dispicable crime by any standards, but attacking Thais for suggesting that their opinions on the matter make them arseholeels if they don;t entirely correspond with westen thinking is a distraction from the crime.

This is not the US, and the populace are pretty conservative here. That inculdes many in the expat community, contrary to the opinions of some. Some people are entitled to their view that not exposing sexual organs may reduce the risk of exciting some wierdo (note, I did say wierdo!) and reduce the risk of the crime.

Can I call you an arsehollee on here if I disagree with something you say? Thought not! So don't try and come back at me saying I am excusing rape and any other standard responses you have to people of different opinions.

I agree with Dupont in this matter.

In which case, would you let women on to the beach at all? Or is their presence far to inflammatory for the average male to control himself?

Walking on the beach in broad daylight wearing a bikini is obviously corrupting society. lol. Thai society is so hypochritical I cannot believe I am reading this drivel, when one considers that 10s of thousands of women in this country are swinging around aluminium poles under to watchful gaze of the powers that be.

And then there's the way animals are treated.....

If tourist knew how elephants are trained , or the appalling conditions under which the beach rental horses live....or the average Thai's resistance to getting their cat neutered ....

Thailand is on the planet, it ccannot go on acting as if it isn't and expect tourist dollars to magically appeal- of course as long as there are 5 prostitutes on every corner, or parents willing to sell their 8 yo daughter, I guess it will always have visitors.

Maybe for Thailand, for Thai people , that's OK...

Mai Pen Rai

" Too lazy to care"

I want to know if Mr. Tankae was raised Muslim cause I think that has a huge bearing.

Does it? In what way? I can argue that it's nominal Thai Buddhists who don't have any moral principles in their lives and treat women like slaves.

Can you provide rape or domestic abuse statistics across Thailand? If you can't show that muslims have higher rates of violence against women you shouldn't probably bring religion in this at all.

A few points:

1) Mai Khao Beach is very quiet and quite remote and there are very few people there. The umbrella's you saw in the photo will likely have been rented from one of the food vendors.

2) Farang females, tourists mostly, sunbathe topless at the tourist beaches - local females do not in fact if anything they overdress for the occasion, there's a clue there.

3) Western reports of the reenactment suggest strongly that the "culprit" was seconded for the reenactment only and that the real killer(s) is/are still at large.

I was present at the re- enactment and those umbrellas are at the bungalows, sorry but it just isn't that remote.

I somewhat agree with the summation that Mr. Tankae isn't real killer, he was too unremorseful, too calm for someone who ," went home and cried afterward.." though he could have been fatigued or sedated, yes.

WHY were police initially looking for several attackers, or is this more shoddy reporting ?

Local females are likely Thai with their white skin fanatacism so wear shirts and pants into the water. Or Muslim with all its repressive and sexist dress codes.

Thailand wants tourists for the beaches, well we want to wear bikinis or sunbathe topless.

So make up your mind, Thailand. Or should we just send the money and stay at home??

Does it? In what way? I can argue that it's nominal Thai Buddhists who don't have any moral principles in their lives and treat women like slaves.

Can you provide rape or domestic abuse statistics across Thailand? If you can't show that muslims have higher rates of violence against women you shouldn't probably bring religion in this at all.

Of course religion has everything to do with it. Repressive religion is the root of all violence and in Islam (as it is practiced today )seems to really suppress sexuality .( NO masturbating young man!!Bad Bad !)

I find it absurd to not consider it as a motivating factor.

And I find Bhuddism to be just as sexist as any other patriarchal religion, though members are usually not enouraged to be violent (Kill the infidel!!)

Actually, what I was objecting to was the Minister's idea that foreign women wearing bikinis on a beach in a place that touts itself as a foreign beach destination are to blame.

And blaming the man's Muslim religion is kind of pointless in this case since a very similar murder occurred in Samui last year and the rapist/murderers were Buddhist, not Muslim.

Sick people are just that, sick twisted people who will use any reason to excuse their behavior.

The laborer, Akaradech Tangae, told the police that he had tried to rape Backlund but that "she resisted and I had to kill her," Reuters reported.

a 24-year-old Indian tourist was stabbed to death while trying to break up a fight during the popular Full Moon party on Koh Phangan island.

In February 2007, two Russian women were shot to death while sitting in beach chairs at the popular beach resort of Pattaya. A 24-year-old laborer confessed to that crime, saying he had intended only to rob the women but "had to shoot them as they were yelling and screaming."

A 32-year-old Israeli tourist was stabbed to death during the Full Moon festival in Koh Phangan last April. A gang of teenagers, including the son of a local politician, are the chief suspects. In November, a 27-year-old Japanese woman was robbed and stabbed to death while visiting the ancient Thai capital of Sukhothai during the Loy Krathong water festival. The police say they are still investigating that killing.

The Swedish tourist, Backlund, was stabbed to death while walking alone on a secluded beach far from residential areas. A police officer described the suspect as a peeping Tom who "loves to bring friends to this remote and quiet beach to look at naked tourists."

Based on these incidents it makes sense as people have been saying in the forum for ages that you should mind your own business instead of being a good samartian. It may be hard bit its sensible.

Do not venture out alone in secluded places and always be careful and weary of your surroundings and of those around you.

This may get people angry and hard to do but do not resist when being a possible victim unless your life is in danger.

I realize this may not be right in some situations but it its worth thinking about. Peace to all.

..................................edit......................

Standing Ovations!

This "undresses" the real problem behind the problem!

Where there is NO fire, there is NO smoke!

Anybody here on this thread ever SEEN "Chao Talay" - the "Sea Gypsies"? and Anyone accustom to THEIR Social rules, their understanding of sexuality, of exposure?

Sad to see so little understanding and respect of Thai-Culture and the ethnic minorities! :o

Standing Ovations!

Anybody here on this thread ever SEEN "Chao Talay" - the "Sea Gypsies"? and Anyone accustom to THEIR Social rules, their understanding of sexuality, of exposure?

Sad to see so little understanding and respect of Thai-Culture and the ethnic minorities! :o

Well obviously that makes it allright that the girl got stabbed then. I am sure her family would wish to apologise for her ignorance, or if she were still alive she could do it in person.

Huh??????

Standing Ovations!

Well obviously that makes it allright that the girl got stabbed then. I am sure her family would wish to apologise for her ignorance, or if she were still alive she could do it in person.

Huh??????

Where did I state this? Please read with out emotional perjury!

Yes, yes, yes this is the kind blindfolded of response I have been waiting for.... as the post in the "quote" points out, if you run around on Copa Cabana with a golden, diamond studded watch and a massive Pierre Cardin golden chain around your Neck and sporting several golden Rings with precious Gems on them.... I could tell you that you wont make it the next 20 Minutes, would you still go.....?

besides in MANY tourist guides it states CLEARLY that nud_e or either topless is a NO-NO in Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT condoning anything, DO NOT try to turn my words around, it is a very, very sad event - however as it has happened in the not too far past... with similar pattern it would be WISE to handle this issue with UTMOST ATTENTION and Care in regards to THAI CULTURE!

Like my friend said: "If she wouldn't have been there to expose herself, she would still be alive!"

Standing Ovations!

Huh??????

Yes, yes, yes this is the kind blindfolded of response I have been waiting for.... as the post in the "quote" points out, if you run around on Copa Cabana with a golden, diamond studded watch and a massive Pierre Cardin golden chain around your Neck and sporting several golden Rings with precious Gems on them.... I could tell you that you wont make it the next 20 Minutes, would you still go.....?

besides in MANY tourist guides it states CLEARLY that nud_e or either topless is a NO-NO in Thailand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am NOT condoning anything, DO NOT try to turn my words around, it is a very, very sad event - however as it has happened in the not too far past... with similar pattern it would be WISE to handle this issue with UTMOST ATTENTION and Care in regards to THAI CULTURE!

Like my friend said: "If she wouldn't have been there to expose herself, she would still be alive!"

She wasn't nud_e or topless, for whatever that is worty.

Standing Ovations!

Huh??????

She wasn't nud_e or topless, for whatever that is worty.

worth

Every toursit is warned about sunbathing in the nud_e in Thailand, every guide book mentions it on the first page.

What they don't mention is that in Thailand it apparently justifies subsequent rape and murder.

Right now it only says "offends cultural sensitivities". Maybe the victims should sure Lonely Planet and TAT for printing this misinformation.

So, let me see, what about a pamphlet 'being handed out', along the lines of WE THE GOVERNMENT OF THAILAND ARE FULLY AWARE YOUR EYES WILL BE ASSAULTED AT EVERY TURN BY THE SIGHT OF SKIMPILY CLAD WHORES HANGING OUT OF BARS SHOUTING 'I LUB YOU TOO MUCH WHERE YOU COME FLOM' AT EACH AND EVERY TOURIST DESTINATION HERE, BUT PLEASE DO NOT WALK ALONG A BEACH IN A SWIMSUIT AS YOU MAY AROUSE THE SEXUALLY REPRESSED THAI MAIL? HAVE A NICE HOLIDAY. :o

Have I got that right? :D

Edited by jitagon

So, let me see, what about a pamphlet 'being handed out', along the lines of WE THE GOVERNMENT OF THAILAND ARE FULLY AWARE YOUR EYES WILL BE ASSAULTED AT EVERY TURN BY THE SIGHT OF SKIMPILY CLAD WHORES HANGING OUT OF BARS SHOUTING 'I LUB YOU TOO MUCH WHERE YOU COME FLOM' AT EACH AND EVERY TOURIST DESTINATION HERE, BUT PLEASE DO NOT WALK ALONG A BEACH IN A SWIMSUIT AS YOU MAY AROUSE THE SEXUALLY REPRESSED THAI MAIL? HAVE A NICE HOLIDAY. :o

I go to the Post Office almost daily and I don't see any problems.

Your use of the word "whores" shows that you really don't know that much about Thailand. If you changed it to read, "young uneducated and impoverished farm girls trying to feed their families" it would read less well but would be more accurate.

Advice for young female tourists visisting phuket thailand:

Phuket is perfectly safe although you will be issued with a nice new whistle on arrival - no charge as yet - to alert the police - sitting at the nearest roadside check point (doing their daily collections) - should a local rapist or murderer approach you.

When sun bathing on a beach please ensure you are fully dressed otherewise the thai authoritys bare no responsibilty should you be raped and/or murdered.

If a policeman comes to your aid wearing a 'little kitty armband' please run away as these are naughty policemen.

If a good policeman turns up please dont get involved with them as it is not uncommon for them to shoot you and your boyfreind if you have an arguement or they lose face! (*See kanchanaburi and Pai)

Finaly please remember that the most popular thai political party in modern history was called 'Thais Love Thais Party' (Thai Rak Thai) and its former leader encouraged all thais to look at foreigners as purely a source of income: " it is the resposibility of thais to take as much money as possible from foreign tourist" (source BKK Post)

Have a pleasent holiday - oh, and dont take any unregistered taxis from the airport as, not so many years ago, many foreign nationals where found buried in shallow graves near to the airport after being robbed and murdered. * You are probably unaware of this as your government played it down for the sake of diplomatic relations!

Edited by misterman21

if i may draw b/g,s into this. on very very rare occasions i have seen topless girls on the beach. thai that is, . but i also notice that most of the other thai girls wear all there street clothes on/in the water. i also notice the shock/horror/embarasment of thai girls that i know work the bar scene so its not acceptable to put it about. ive also seen nudity from thai girls, several times. not once would i conclude that the thai girl concerned was 100%. 100% unstable yes poor sods. i am a brother to three sisters and a father to two daughters, in both generations the onus is put on the girls to look after/take care of themselves, ie dont encourage the possible loonies out there. a true story i lived through. i ended up on the train way past kanchanaburi, god knows where. i was with two young girls, very beutifull girls, euo girls. one was very provocitivly dressed. at the station were four layabout thai men. imeddiatly there hormones kicked in, i could see it the girl refused to see it and told me she had a right to wind them up without them haveing a right to rape her. she thought no was good enough. she also was put out by my interfearance/concern. then i got angry. told her if she was going to get raped i didnt want to witness it. my pressence did nothing to quel there ardour. it all ended when she stormed of and the other girl and i followed. a parrelel here or not but some blame is due i feel. had the girl in my story been my sister/daughter shed have got a kick up the arse for sure, but then again my family dont wind up morons if they can help it.