Thais Scramble To Allay Tourist Fears After Recent Assaults

sbk

Can we get to gether and lobby for the max penalty on this???

How about pre-emptive execution of all Burmese migrants? Or maybe we should castrate all muslim men.

And it would be ok for me to come on here and say that about Americans or Jews? Get a brain.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we get to gether and lobby for the max penalty on this???

How about pre-emptive execution of all Burmese migrants? Or maybe we should castrate all muslim men.

My suggestion was out of genuine concern for my fellow race or even any visitor for that matter. I guess you in the side line, I'm alright jack category, Hey but that's OK, you have been a membe of TV for much longer than me and you know its all bla, bla, bla. So why bother eh? Just a bit of sport? A way to kill a bit of time? Just a great laugh eh? I'm not judging you. There but for the grace of God go I, I guess?

has the death penalty in the us stopped killings, rape, 1st degree murder?

Just for a reminder:

Do's and Don'ts:

"Thailand is justly celebrated for its tolerance and hospitality and the average tourist will have no difficulty in adjusting to the local customs. All the same, as when coming into any unfamiliar society, a visitor may find it helpful to be aware of certain do's and don'ts and thus avoid giving accidental offense. Basically, most of these are simply a matter of common sense and good manners - not really all that different from the way one would behave in one's own country - but a few are special enough to be pointed out."

" Public displays of affection between men and women are frowned upon."

"5. Observe all normal precautions as regard to personal safety, as well as the safety of your belongings. Walking alone on quiet streets or deserted areas is not recommended. Be sure that all your valuables - money, jewelry, airline tickets - are properly protected from loss."

Information from: Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT)

Source:

it's easy... just follow the rules and common sense...

i dont recall seeing that the victim of this crime was naked on the beach, so why does this keep on coming up? she was wearing a swimsuit for gods sake. on a beach. in a tourist area (phuket). if you see that as being disrespectful, then get a life. the girl was minding her own business taking a walk along a beautiful beach. nothing more.

if the girl had been walking dressed like this in an isaan village, then you would have to assume that she was either a little disrespectful or plain silly, but that clearly wasnt the case.

many thai girls wear clothing that no self respecting woman would wear back in the west. do we see them being raped and murdered along the tourist beaches? didnt think so.

its easy for many of you to comment on the clothing that she was or wasnt wearing, but what ABOUT the young girls dancing provocatively on the back of pick-up trucks wearing next to nothing? why is that acceptable, yet if a western woman did it, it would be way out of line. why can a thai girl show off her ass and other pink bits to people down bangla who will smile and laugh at her, but if a western woman did it, she would be a dirty bitch who needs a good seeing to.

the 'man' who committed this crime should be strung up. he had no motive, other than he wanted to kill someone on that day. this crime is only about power, not about sex. it doesnt matter what the victim was wearing on that beach. as i have said before, she could have been in a boiler suit and it would more than likely still have happened.

being skimpily dressed is not licence for a man to rape and kill another human being.

Just for a reminder:

Do's and Don'ts:

"Thailand is justly celebrated for its tolerance and hospitality and the average tourist will have no difficulty in adjusting to the local customs. All the same, as when coming into any unfamiliar society, a visitor may find it helpful to be aware of certain do's and don'ts and thus avoid giving accidental offense. Basically, most of these are simply a matter of common sense and good manners - not really all that different from the way one would behave in one's own country - but a few are special enough to be pointed out."

"5. Observe all normal precautions as regard to personal safety, as well as the safety of your belongings. Walking alone on quiet streets or deserted areas is not recommended. Be sure that all your valuables - money, jewelry, airline tickets - are properly protected from loss."

Source:

And actually, on most of the similar websites (which are basically copied from the Thai Embassy advice) that one should not dress conservatively, bikinis are only suitable for the BEACH or they mention nothing at all other than to say that one should be conservatively dressed in a temple.

Just for a reminder:

Do's and Don'ts:

Source:

And actually, on most of the similar websites (which are basically copied from the Thai Embassy advice) that one should not dress conservatively, bikinis are only suitable for the BEACH or they mention nothing at all other than to say that one should be conservatively dressed in a temple.

one should dress conservatively.

typo sorry

being skimpily dressed is not licence for a man to rape and kill another human being.

No it SHOULDN'T, but sorry in this case too obvious, isn't it?

maybe there is more to the story then we know....

and sorry again... it always takes 2 to tango - is what I have learned and I do live hassle free since 18 years in the kingdom!

No it SHOULDN'T, but sorry in this case too obvious, isn't it?

maybe there is more to the story then we know....

and sorry again... it always takes 2 to tango - is what I have learned and I do live hassle free since 18 years in the kingdom!

Shes was murdered ! What's this takes two to tango stuff . I'm sure you would change your tone if it was your daughter. Maybe you've been here too long. Gone over to the dark side and can put forward any justification for a Thai to commit any crime or injustice etc on a westener.

it always takes 2 to tango

Do you mean she asked for it?

No I didn't! Read well, I meant it takes 2 to tango!

None else or like some prefer to put it, wrong place, wrong moment, wrong, wrong, wrong... both!

We can only discuss the surroundings of this case, cause there is not much known how it came to the murder.... the guy is "deranged" yep, thats for sure if he has done the crime.... the victim was careless enough to stay alone on a deserted beach ...

I would like this to be OBSERVED BY ALL WOMEN traveling countries other then their native countries, well even that won't necessarily shut down the possibility of rape and murder... it happens... and women should be aware of this (insane) Fact, that there is always the possibility - especially if certain circumstances are given and some triggers are added.....!

Just a thought, at least this comes down to PREVENTION and Selfdefense!

and PLEASE remember, in some muslime dominated countries she probably would be stoned, whipped, or other wise punished BY THE STATE or religious authorities (Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE)!

Edited by Samuian

None else or like some prefer to put it, wrong place, wrong moment, wrong, wrong, wrong... both!

We can only discuss the surroundings of this case, cause there is not much known how it came to the murder.... the guy is "deranged" yep, thats for sure if he has done the crime.... the victim was careless enough to stay alone on a deserted beach ...

I would like this to be OBSERVED BY ALL WOMEN traveling countries other then their native countries, well even that won't necessarily shut down the possibility of rape and murder... it happens... and women should be aware of this (insane) Fact, that there is always the possibility - especially if certain circumstances are given and some triggers are added.....!

and PLEASE remember, in some muslime dominated countries she probably would be stoned, whipped, or other wise punished BY THE STATE or religious authorities (Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE)!

Broad daylight on a quiet public beach. She wasn't exactly walking home at midnight in the rain was she.

She wasn't careless, she was exceedingly unlucky and absolutely blameless.

And as for Iran etc, they don't pose themselves as holiday destinations last I looked. Maybe Thailand should ban female beach tourists in that case.

we must also remember that this is thailand, and not Iran, Saudi Arabia or UAE!

Well I'm sure every Scandinavian girl will want to vacation in sunny Iran, Saudi Arabia, or the UAE. Words fail me when I read posts like this. :o

Nothing will change over this murder, nor any of the other ones. Thailand will only make changes when the money stops, and it will be too late. TIT.

Yes you are of course correct. But in the interim, as I suggested earlier, is there anything we can do to get the message across. Do we need to write to various people, go on western forums, write to western media, governments, take a full page advert in the Bangkok Post warning tourists, or (you'll like this one) protest outside parliament house, various embassies The U.N.. I don't know. Just ideas. However these things need to be done as a community/group or it will fall flat. In lies the problem. How much do we really care to get out of our comfort zones, maybe risk deportation or something like that to get a result.

We could have a "Keep your Hands Off Wersteners" campaign.

Yeah I know what most of you are thinking...it's a pipe dream. Next......................!

Nothing will change over this murder, nor any of the other ones. Thailand will only make changes when the money stops, and it will be too late. TIT.

Yes you are of course correct. But in the interim, as I suggested earlier, is there anything we can do to get the message across. Do we need to write to various people, go on western forums, write to western media, governments, take a full page advert in the Bangkok Post warning tourists, or (you'll like this one) protest outside parliament house, various embassies The U.N.. I don't know. Just ideas. However these things need to be done as a community/group or it will fall flat. In lies the problem. How much do we really care to get out of our comfort zones, maybe risk deportation or something like that to get a result.

Yeah I know what most of you are thinking...it's a pipe dream. Next......................!

Which message? That murdering people is bad?

I believe you know what I meant.

The message that Thailand is NOT what is seems. It can be very dangerous, particularly for westeners. That many Thais feel they can treat westeners poorly, dispicably even, with impunity. That Thais gang up on westeners. That in almost any dispute the Thais will win. Do I need to go on?

Which message? That murdering people is bad?

No such thing will ever happen. There is no such thing as a Farang community, nor a group of Farangs seeking anything for any group, much less a community. Why do you think things are as they are. Even our own governments couldn't care less about none of this, nor any other bad shit, that happens to people here, or anywhere else. Everyone is only making a little noise , claiming to be shocked about this, to be politically correct, and to be viewed as a sensitive individual or entity. Only money talks, the rest is all bullshit.

i dont recall seeing that the victim of this crime was naked on the beach, so why does this keep on coming up? she was wearing a swimsuit for gods sake. on a beach. in a tourist area (phuket). if you see that as being disrespectful, then get a life. the girl was minding her own business taking a walk along a beautiful beach. nothing more.

if the girl had been walking dressed like this in an isaan village, then you would have to assume that she was either a little disrespectful or plain silly, but that clearly wasnt the case.

many thai girls wear clothing that no self respecting woman would wear back in the west. do we see them being raped and murdered along the tourist beaches? didnt think so.

its easy for many of you to comment on the clothing that she was or wasnt wearing, but what ABOUT the young girls dancing provocatively on the back of pick-up trucks wearing next to nothing? why is that acceptable

Thai love Thai. Racism, double standards, intolerance to other Nationalities, the rights or non existant rights of Foreigners in Thailand...Need I go on!

Unfortunately, most female tourists are unaware of these cultural attitudes. And so, find themselves victimised and even murdered because they haven't been made aware of certain cultural expectations. Perhaps pamphlets should be handed out to all women travellers to Thailand warning them that, although it appears to be quite safe and liberal, cultural expectations are different and that women need to be more cautious and more careful.

You took the words right out of my mouth. These female tourists really need an education. Most female tourists know the requirements when they visit Muslim countries, so why not give them a pre-vacation education on Thailand and its customs.

These photos were taken recently on Koh Larn. This beach was full of Asian tourists on this day as it is on most days. Even I was shocked.

The topless girl didn't just sit around like that, she walked around topless and was wearing a G-string too.

post-34982-1206559095_thumb.jpgpost-34982-1206559104_thumb.jpg

Edited by tropo

In Saudi Arabia she'd be probably stoned, BUT, after due process, by law.

In Thailand they let deranged maniacs to rape or murder any woman at random in retaliation. See the difference?

Nowhere does it say that all foreign women could be punished collectively for transgressions by any foreign female in the living memory.

when i worked as a tour leader, we were very pushy on the requirements for our travelers to wear decent clothing. i did not allow them to wear swimsuits in waterfalls (shorts and t-shirt ok). i did not allow them to wear spaghetti strap tops in smaller towns (bkk and tourist areas were ok) and i had to tell them how to dress when entering a temple. soooooo many times i heard the phrase 'but its too hot to wear clothes'.

one group i had down in malaysia consisted mainly of young british girls, and a couple of british blokes. we were down in melaka and i told the group that they should cover up as it is a very conservative town. well, they went out to a local night club and got really pissed (they were actually drunk before they left the hotel after consuming a huge amount of booze on the rooftop during the afternoon). i got a knock on my door at about 4am by one of the boys accompanied by one of the girlies. he had been punched in the face by a couple of local blokes. i asked them what happened to provoke the attack and they both said 'nothing'. i delved a bit further and found out that the couple were having a 'smooch' outside the club. a bloke came along and smacked the kid in the head a couple of times.

looking at the girl, she was wearing what resembled underwear, and this is after i had told them it was best to cover up.

the same group was in penang and all the girls came back telling me that they hated the place as 'all the men stare at us'. i told them to go up, take a look in the mirror and tell me why they think these men would be staring at them. yep. they were dressed in exactly what i had told them not to dress in.

many young people come to asia and have their bible guidebooks in their hands. they read up on what pubs to go to, what sights to see, and what diseases they can catch. believe me, they know exactly where they want to go when they are here and have their route all planned out. but they ALWAYS fail to read the all important chapter about behaviour and polite dress.

sorry, this is way off topic and has nothing to do with what happened on phuket, but i thought that i should say it anyway.

Well, I have to be honest here Donna, way way back when I had to go to Penang to get a visa, I got stared at by the local guys, followed, offered drinks etc. I was wearing long pants (trousers for you British people) and a shirt with sleeves and it was buttoned up to my neck. The next time I went with my husband, wearing the exact same conservative clothing, and got nothing. The local Chinese girls were wearing mini-skirts and tank tops and got nothing. But then, of course, the guys had to be careful with them, their brother could be in a triad or something whereas I was just another easy white girl. Regardless of the clothing I wore.

Its a terrible shame this girl has died and she does seem to have been blameless walking on a beach in daylight in a tourist area, her clothing was not innapropriate and she didn't in any way contribute to her own death through her clothing.

On the other hand, I find those who take the other extreme view that women should be able to wear whatever they like anywhere in the world and that the entire rest of the world and everyone in it should change to accept their personal view of what is appropriate clothing and behaviour to be as ridiculous as those who blame this poor dead girl.

It is a fact that certain parts of the world are dangerous and women are physically weaker and less able to defend themselves.

If I went walking around certain areas of the Middle East wearing a crusader uniform, or walked around Israel in a nazi SS uniform I would expect to suffer the consequences despite the fact that in my own country these are perfectly OK to wear (Obviously as fancy dress, but I wouldn't be attacked walking to the party)

Those who insist that the world "should" adapt itself to them and that they can act as if the whole world revolves around their own personal views tend to be impervious to any discussion on the narcissism of their views, but they are not impervious to Darwinism. (Note, I am not including this dead girl in this group)