War On Drugs To Start On April 2

george

Any taking any bets here here on whether the number of deaths during the upcoming drug war games will

be more of less that is was the last time?

the Las Vegas oddsmakers say the smart money is on Chalerm being able to surpass those figures...

Thailand’s 'War on Drugs'

"Countering the world drug problem...requires an integrated and balanced approach and must be carried out in full conformity with the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations and other provisions of international law and in particular, with full respect for… all human rights and fundamental freedoms."

United Nations General Assembly, 2007

"Due respect for universal human rights…and the rule of law is important for effective implementation of the international drug control conventions. Non-respect for them…can lead to discriminatory disproportionate responses to drug offending and can undermine the conventions."

International Narcotics Control Board, 2008

In February 2003, the Thai government, under then Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, launched a 'war on drugs', purportedly aimed at the suppression of drug trafficking and the prevention of drug use. In fact, a major outcome of this policy was arbitrary killings. In the first three months of the campaign there were some 2,800 extrajudicial killings. In 2007, an official investigation found that more than half of those killed had no connection whatsoever to drugs.[1]

< snippped >

In recent weeks, the government of Thailand has publicly threatened the resumption of killings. On 20 February, Interior Minister, Chalerm Yubamrung, told parliament that

"...drugs suppression in my time as Interior Minister will follow the approach of [former Prime Minister] Thaksin. If that will lead to 3,000 - 4,000 deaths of those who break the law, then so be it. That has to be done..."

- Press Release issued by Human Rights Watch

the entire Human Rights Watch press release may be found here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1868878

in the other thread:

Gov't Launches New Phase Of Anti-drug Campaign

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imperfect? It didn't work! Women and children were murdered!

And men were too.

If some Thais are uneducated and foolish enough to support these criminal actions and human rights abuses then they really need to start to listen to foreigners, whether they want to or not.

Didnt realise it was only those without degrees that supported killings, i thought you needed a degree to become a bent Thai copper.

Had to nit pick the second i saw the phrase "uneducated Thais", being an uneducated person myself.

Here saw this today made me laugh a nice little sketch about those dumb uneducated people and you get to see Goldie Hawn in her prime, what a gal!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eIA1VS2bDa4

In recent weeks, the government of Thailand has publicly threatened the resumption of killings. On 20 February, Interior Minister, Chalerm Yubamrung, told parliament that

"...drugs suppression in my time as Interior Minister will follow the approach of [former Prime Minister] Thaksin. If that will lead to 3,000 - 4,000 deaths of those who break the law, then so be it. That has to be done..."

Well, that says it for me. Need to break a few eggs to make an omelet, eh boys?

They ought to have a crackdown on corrupt, money-grubbing, gold-bricking politicians and kill 3-4,000 of them.

Let's not forget over half the people executed last time round had nothing whatsoever to do with the drugs trade, and those murdered included women and children, and even two lottery winners who were shot because it was assumed that their good fortune was down to trade in illicit substances.

Absolutely. It won't be a war on drugs, it will be a war on anyone that Police feels like rubbing out.

I hate hard drugs and what they do to people so I can understand the Thai government's desire to stop it. I think its something the police should continuously enforce. However, this erratic extreme enforcement is worrisome because the police are given a license to do whatever they want. I won't be planning any trips to Thailand for awhile until this stops because I wouldn't want to get shot by an over zealous cop for being in the wrong place at the wrong time....

Well it has started early. One Pattaya agogo owner I know of had to send 13 girls out for free food last night after being told that his raid would be happening in 30 minutes. They were all pretty happy when they came back later though.lol

Its terrible that innocent people get killed but this is a Thai problem. Unless the majoriety of the Thai society realizes how bad their government is they will have to deal with these situations.

After some months here when I learned more about the Thai society I was surprised how "stupid" many things are. But I slowly realized that this is their culture, their way of doing things and I'm just different and what might be stupid to me just makes somehow sense to some Thai people.

As long as I don't have to fear to get randomly shot, or anyone of my friends I'm not concerned how Thai people or some madmen who run this country act. Anyway, I hope there won't be many deaths this time.

If people want to destroy themselves with drugs they will find a way. Criminalizing drugs doesnt help.

Many people seem to think that this drug “crackdown” and many other recent crackdowns (enforcement of bar and disco closing etc.) are motivated by desire by the new government to cement their access and hold on profits and corrupt earnings that had been lost to the military government. IMO this is not the case at all. The motives for these crackdowns now are to secure power, flex muscle and prove their legitimacy to rule. These policies proved very very popular last time around when these individuals held power and should prove to be the same this time. Let's not forget that the PPP is facing corruption investigations, threats of party dissolution and some small talk of a new coup.

This time around they are moving a lot quicker in order to shore up public support that is vital to their survival. Now that the Thai people had a taste of what they would see as the other option (military ghunta) the PPP has a much better chance to secure lasting power. They will have all the time in the world to re secure lost “revenues” but now is the time to create a solid base and I think they are following the lessons of history regarding this to the letter. It is what they will do with the real power when/if they manage to pull this off that will be the real policy and will of these people and I believe it is yet to be shown. Interesting times ahead to say the least.

Edited by Flhai

so often ignored the death rate due to cigarettes, alcohol, the lack of use of condoms and the new biggie here DIABETES all relevant !

And if you have lost loved ones due to Legal drugs like Cigarettes and Alcohol ?

how do you feel about smokers

drunk drivers

mobile phone using drivers

children hanging off the back of trucks on the way to school

idiots without bike helmets

vendors selling corn syrup rich and palm oil fried foods outside school

no free condoms

crap education

amputations instead of appropriate surgery

child smuggling

money boys and bar girls

PATTAYA for fuc_ks sake

drugs are way down the list there are bigger more regular killers on the loose

I hate hard drugs and what they do to people so I can understand the Thai government's desire to stop it. I think its something the police should continuously enforce. However, this erratic extreme enforcement is worrisome because the police are given a license to do whatever they want. I won't be planning any trips to Thailand for awhile until this stops because I wouldn't want to get shot by an over zealous cop for being in the wrong place at the wrong time....

My wife ex-husband was a policeman who was sent out to kill drug dealers "out of uniform,out of hours" She said he killed many men,he died an alcoholic.

Just heard last week that a local policeman in my wifes family village is selling ya-baa,he took my kids for a ride on his motorbike.My brother in law told us,he has no reason to lie.

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung -- who is heading the campaign -- said the government would follow the rule of law, but issued an dark warning to those involved in the drugs trade.

"If anyone does not want to die, don't walk this road," he said.

Chalerm said he had received a list of 10,000 drug users from police, and would get to work immediately.

"I can assure you all in the media that you will not get bored -- you will witness new and bold measures in this campaign," he said.

Human rights groups have said that at least 2,500 people died in extrajudicial killings in 2003 and 2004 during a get-tough campaign launched by ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

- AFP / 4-2-08

Edited by sriracha john

"Should we do nothing because we are afraid that someone is going to criticize us?" Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said in February when he called for a new anti-drug campaign. "Why are you worried about the fate of drug traffickers?"

About 2,300 people were killed during Thaksin's drug war. Human rights activists said there were many extrajudicial executions by police and other security forces.

One of the better-known cases in the earlier drug war was that of 9-year-old Chakraphan Srisa-ad, who died from bullet wounds after police allegedly fired at the car driven by his mother as she fled a drug sting operation in which his father was arrested.

Witnesses and circumstances suggested that police fired at the car. Authorities said a man from the same drug ring that the father alleged belonged to fired the deadly shots, while police shot into the air. No one was convicted over the incident.

- Associated Press / 4-2-08

New war on drugs starts amid fears of rights abuses

Deputy Prime Minister and Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who chaired the campaign launch, said he did not believe that authorities under the Thaksin Shinawatra [his brother-in-law's] government were involved in illegal drug-related killings.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/03Apr2008_news10.php