Kanom Bomb...

Ajarn

I was out cruising around Phraw today, and I stopped to get some chips... Taped to the outside of the chips bag as a promotion was a fairly flat foil envelope..

kanombombfront.jpg

I thought maybe it was something like 'pop rocks', those little things that pop in your mouth....So I tried to tear open the package- not easy

So I read the directions..

1. Do not tear this package... :D

2. Find the object. Break the small water bag inside the package which will be full of air immediately. Drop the bag beside the object. :o

3. When the bag pop and the fragrance will fill the air

4. Eating prohibited.

Okay, so I feel for the 'small water bag' and squeeze it...I start to hear a hissing sound as the bag fills with air..

From the directions, I surmised that there are some sort of built-in vents that will open and expel the fruity fragrance out and into the air...From #4, I know not to open my mouth.

kanombombback.jpg

The bag is gettng bigger and bigger.... Boom! The bag blows up (see jagged burst line on the right side), spraying some very sticky viscous liquid all over the inside of my car! No smell whatsoever!

What the ###### is the point of this?

What the ###### is the point of this?

No point :D

I was scrapping more of the shit off my winshield today...So far, that seems to be the point.

Just can't imagine the thrill at all...I was surprised at the force. They weren't kidding when they said, "Drop the bag beside the object." :D

Oh well, another TiT story... :D

And, as Chanchao pointed out, I've still got my kid's curiousity, it seems. Glad for that :o

I would have a genuine use for them!

OH COMON!!!!!!!!!! Tell us, the suspense is just excruciating..!

Pretty please? :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

Why spoil a surprise?

If things come to pass, I will post the results.... :o:D

Phrao, most likely.

Phrao is North of Chiang Mai, past Mae Jo and then much further. There's not a lot there. Kind of like Pai before it became "Pai". :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Might have been Phrae as well,Only Ajarn can tell us :o

Phraw(sp), phrao, prow, praow

up to you :D

To be more specific.... Phraw(sp) is at N19°22.083', E99°12.249', 441 m

The exploding kanom was purchased at N19°25.794', E99°04.736', 472 m

precisely.

:o

Phrao, most likely. 

Phrao is North of Chiang Mai, past Mae Jo and then much further.  There's not a lot there.  Kind of like Pai before it became "Pai". :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Not tons, but more than one might imagine, since things are quite spread out in Phrao(sp)

One of my favorite day drives. Varied scenery, lots of hilltribes, good road.

CM-Phrao(sp)-Chiang Dao-CM About 200-250 k's..4-5 hours

> lots of hilltribes, good road.

In what direction, specifically? I still want to go back to that waterfall you get to a couple of kms before Phrao proper. (Turn off on the left, then a pretty long drive into the mountains. Nam Tok Hin Lai or something it's called. And (much) before that you will have past Nam Tok <something> and the Seven Colour Fountain. (Just a bit past Mae Jo actually)

Cheers,

Chanchao

> lots of hilltribes, good road.

In what direction, specifically?  I still want to go back to that waterfall you get to a couple of kms before Phrao proper. (Turn off on the left, then a pretty long drive into the mountains.  Nam Tok Hin Lai or something it's called.  And (much) before that you will have past Nam Tok <something> and the Seven Colour Fountain.  (Just a bit past Mae Jo actually)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Either East, or West, out of Phrao(sp)

Phrao(sp).jpg

To the East along 1150, it's about 90 k's of beautiful moutains driving to Wiang Pa Pow. Along the way is 'Baan Sam Li', a very friendly Lisaw village. Worth a visit and a chat if you have the inclination. At the end of 1150 East, if you go left, it'll take you to Chiang Rai (after a pie stop at Charin Resort KP# 141, about 10 kilometers past Mae Suay).Going right at the intersection takes you baack to Chiang Mai.

To the West of Phrao(sp), there are Akka, Lisaw and Hmong along 1150. No tourist scene in any of these places, just normal working folks. There's also an interesting police outpost (below) which reminded me of a funky country lodge.

countrycops.jpg

In Phrao(sp), there is a quite good basic Thai restaurant serving up noodles and stir fries. Farangs are quite welcome, and I've never gotten the shits after eating there- my highest restaurant recommendation.

So, coming from the south (Chiang Mai), turn right at the useless traffic light just in front of the Phrao(sp) police station (how convenient for 'wan sin duan') After turning right, go down about 300 meters to the next intersection. On the right side at the intersection, you'll see the simple and clean restaurant.

Wow, thanks for that!!! I think I'm using the same "B&B Thailand North" map as you are. :o

Are there like dirt roads to other villages off that highway 1150? Interesting to see that village Mae Pun Luang right on the border between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, but no road that goes there...

I think David (Unkovich, who did a lot of work on that map) kept some places for himself... :D

Wow, thanks for that!!!  I think I'm using the same "B&B Thailand North" map as you are. :o

Are there like dirt roads to other villages off that highway 1150?  Interesting to see that village Mae Pun Luang right on the border between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, but no road that goes there...  

I think David (Unkovich, who did a lot of work on that map) kept some places for himself... :D

Yeah, another one he missed is 1136, which is a backroad to Fang that goes off of 1150 about 8 k's west of phrao, and also goes to Chai Prakhan.. Kind of a crappy paved road, though.

fangsign.jpg

As you're going west, there are a couple of Christian Lisaw villages (most are now, it seems) off the road to the left, but the last time I was on these roads, they were quite muddy and difficult to travel on. I'm sure it would be better in the dry season. One of these 'roads' hooks up with a back road leading into the East side on Chiang Dao town, passing a number of small lisaw and Thai villages.

Whenever I'm travelling south from Chiang Dao, I like to take a road this road....

chiangdao.jpg

At the intersection in the middle of 'downtown', take a left (if you're heading south) and follow the paved road, first to a bridge over the river where there are millions of carp fish and you can buy 5-baht bags of fish food and feed them from the bridge. Continuing along this road takes you through a series of small villages, mixed Thai/Hmong/Lisaw. Nice little vignettes of life through here. The road meets the main road south just before heading into the section that winds along the river for a few k's....

This is the best time of your to see the North, in my opinion. Just at the end of the rainy season when the lush greenery is at its max, and before the sky turns brown again from the burning...

By the way, when I entered the Phrao valley coming out of the moutains to the south, the whole valley as far as I could see, had a smokey haze... After driving another 20 k's I found the source- a trash fire in someone's yard that had been smouldering for a long time...Just after passing the source, the sky was blue again. You could easily see the smoke trail leading from this one fire. If they would spend a bit of effort to make these smouldering fires hotter, there would be much less smoke, and the stuff burning would be consumed much faster, meaning less smoke throughout...No excuse for these smouldering fires, really.

Ajarn  You get around ehhhh !   :D

My other physical options being limited, I love driving around, exploring my country, and sometimes giving the locals some cheap thrills when I come into town :D

Driving is also my form of meditation :o