Cmotech Ccu-650 Cdma (or Evdo I Dunno) Working Under Slackware 11 With 2.6 Kernel

slackula

I hope this will be useful to other users, but I am not sure and it is *not* meant as a guide because I am sure I have forgotten a few steps but after 2 days of fiddling about I have got the USB CMOTECH dongle connected and working.

My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad R60 and is running Slackware 11 but with a home-rolled kernel 2.6.20.4-smp, I'll be appy to shere the configuration files if anybody would like them. The wireless also works fine on this machine and I'll happily share how to get that working if needed.

Anyway, my Mrs brought home a C-motech CDMA 1x EV-DO USB Modem so of course I had to give it a go on the Slacktop.

First step:

tail-f /var/log/messages

Then plug it in and hopefully something like:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
cdc_acm 1-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
PPP BSD Compression module registered
PPP Deflate Compression module registered
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
cdc_acm 1-1:1.0: ttyACM0: USB ACM device
usbcore: registered new interface driver cdc_acm
drivers/usb/class/cdc-acm.c: v0.25:USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters
PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
PPP BSD Compression module registered
PPP Deflate Compression module registered
[drm] Initialized i915 1.6.0 20060119 on minor 0

ifconfig then showed:

ppp0	  Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
	  inet addr:10.144.88.2  P-t-P:10.99.131.232  Mask:255.255.255.255
	  UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
	  RX packets:3997 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
	  TX packets:3839 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
	  collisions:0 txqueuelen:3 
	  RX bytes:3289062 (3.1 MiB)  TX bytes:815039 (795.9 KiB)

After a fair amount of Googling I made the following scripts for ppp and stuff, these should all be in /etc/ppp folder:

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client		server  secret				  IP addresses
"[email protected]" * "catevdo"

/etc/ppp/pppscript

TIMEOUT 60
ABORT ERROR
ABORT BUSY
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
"" AT+CRM=1
OK "atdt#777"
TIMEOUT 75
CONNECT

/etc/ppp/options

# General configuration options for PPPD:
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/ttyACM0
crtscts
# Uncomment the line below for more verbose error reporting:
#debug
# If you have a default route already, pppd may require the other side
# to authenticate itself, which most ISPs will not do.  To work around this,
# uncomment the line below.  Note that this may have negative side effects
# on system security if you allow PPP dialins.  See the docs in /usr/doc/ppp*
# for more information.
noauth
passive
asyncmap 0
name "[email protected]"

/etc/ppp/options.demand

# General configuration options for PPPD:
lock
defaultroute
noipdefault
modem
/dev/ttyACM0
crtscts
# Uncomment the line below for more verbose error reporting:
#debug
# If you have a default route already, pppd may require the other side
# to authenticate itself, which most ISPs will not do.  To work around this,
# uncomment the line below.  Note that this may have negative side effects
# on system security if you allow PPP dialins.  See the docs in /usr/doc/ppp*
# for more information.
noauth
passive
asyncmap 0
name "[email protected]"
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
10.144.52.10:10.99.131.232
demand
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/pppscript"

All was looking good, the dongle was reporting a connection, but I could not get it to actually surf the net until I edited /etc/resolv.conf and entered:

# Generated by dhcpcd for interface eth1
search 
nameserver 205.234.170.215
nameserver 205.234.170.217

Please note:

a) I haven't tried a reboot yet so we will see what happens

II) I did all this as Root, but then I logged out and logged in as a regular user, the connection was maintained

Point>) If anybody can tell me how to get the dam_n thing working on the Mrs MacBook Pro then I'll be eternally grateful!

4) I have probably missed a bunch of stuff, but whatever!

This is good. The missus and I were talking about getting CAT EV-DO. I'll be able to use your atdt command, log-in, password, DNS server(although I use OpenDNS---I wonder how badly that would cause a muck-up?), and Init strings. Thanks for posting this.

This is good. The missus and I were talking about getting CAT EV-DO. I'll be able to use your atdt command, log-in, password, DNS server(although I use OpenDNS---I wonder how badly that would cause a muck-up?), and Init strings. Thanks for posting this.

The atdt script was from the back of the manual that came with the card, under the OS X section, the log-in and password that I am using are ones I got from a web page I found on configuring a Mac to use the card when the instructions in the manual failed me (web page here: http://answer4it.net/2008/02/10/c-motech-c...guration-setup/ ) and the DNS server settings I got from googling for "free dns server" so I don't suppose it matters which much what you use.

The password and log-in in the manual didn't work with the Slacktop and I still can't get the dam_n thing to work on the MacBook Pro, although on another MacBook we have with Boot Camp the password/login from the manual work fine under XP. :o

The atdt script was from the back of the manual that came with the card, under the OS X section, the log-in and password that I am using are ones I got from a web page I found on configuring a Mac to use the card when the instructions in the manual failed me (web page here: http://answer4it.net/2008/02/10/c-motech-c...guration-setup/ ) and the DNS server settings I got from googling for "free dns server" so I don't suppose it matters which much what you use.

The password and log-in in the manual didn't work with the Slacktop and I still can't get the dam_n thing to work on the MacBook Pro, although on another MacBook we have with Boot Camp the password/login from the manual work fine under XP. :o

You're out of luck if you're asking me to help you with configuring OSX :D . I like using openDNS, since I've found that the ones supplied by Thai ISPs are absolute rubbish.

It's interesting that the supplied password/login didn't work under any *Nix OS but did in Windows. Wonder why.

I also wonder if it would be possible to channel bond a few of these devices. Would be awesome for performance/redundancy.

I also wonder if it would be possible to channel bond a few of these devices. Would be awesome for performance/redundancy.

Interesting idea, perhaps my next project for a rainy day. Right now I am thinking of using it to set up a stand alone P2P box because I get abysmal speeds over Maxnet (normally max download with Transmission is 3-4 KB/s.)

Interesting idea, perhaps my next project for a rainy day. Right now I am thinking of using it to set up a stand alone P2P box because I get abysmal speeds over Maxnet (normally max download with Transmission is 3-4 KB/s.)

Mind giving me a speed test, ping test?

I was getting lousy speeds today but after changing the password to the one in the manual and also changing th DNS servers to another pair that I found on Google things got better and I got this:

Using Speedtest.net:

Bangkok server:

Ping 643ms

Down 650 kbps

Up 41 kbps ( :o )

New York serer:

Ping 701ms

Down 814 kbps

Up 28 kbps

Using ThaiVisa test:

Down 597 kbps

Up 46 kbps

Not great, but certainly usable imho. I haven't spent much time using the card because I am mostly at home on my regular ADSL connection. So far from what I can see it is quite useful but it has reliability problems eg it seems to drop the connection after an hour or so but that could be my settings and not the card. Since this is the first time I have ever used anything like this under Slackware I am pretty sure it could be tweaked further. Hope this helps.

PS: Just did one final Speedtest.net test with BKK server and got:

Ping 537 ms

Down 810 kbps

Up 39 kbps

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

A slight update to this: I finally got around to trying the dongle with the MacBook Pro and a powered USB hub and it works perfectly, so the problem definitely seems to be the amount of juice that a MBP can send to its ports.

After a bit of reading I found out that the USB standards specify 500mA and 5v, a regular MacBook has a single controller with 1000mA and 5v available to it and can split the current (ie one port at 600mA and one at 400mA) as required to its two ports but the Pro is more rigorous in its implementation of the USB standards and has two controllers that will supply the standard 500mA and 5v to each port, but no more.

I guess the C-motech draws more than that so I will have to buy a Y cable or a powered USB port to use the dongle regularly with the MBP. It's a bit of a bummer, but at least we know now why it won't work on the MBP.

• 3 months later...
I was getting lousy speeds today but after changing the password to the one in the manual and also changing th DNS servers to another pair that I found on Google things got better and I got this:

Using Speedtest.net:

Bangkok server:

Ping 643ms

Down 650 kbps

Up 41 kbps ( :o )

New York serer:

Ping 701ms

Down 814 kbps

Up 28 kbps

Using ThaiVisa test:

Down 597 kbps

Up 46 kbps

Not great, but certainly usable imho. I haven't spent much time using the card because I am mostly at home on my regular ADSL connection. So far from what I can see it is quite useful but it has reliability problems eg it seems to drop the connection after an hour or so but that could be my settings and not the card. Since this is the first time I have ever used anything like this under Slackware I am pretty sure it could be tweaked further. Hope this helps.

PS: Just did one final Speedtest.net test with BKK server and got:

Ping 537 ms

Down 810 kbps

Up 39 kbps

Cheers.

Just tested my results using Edge here in Bang Pu. A little slower than using Edge up in Nakhon Sawan, but MUCH more stable! I was seeing up to 32 KB/s using KPP's built in monitor.

I hope this will be useful to other users, but I am not sure and it is *not* meant as a guide because I am sure I have forgotten a few steps but after 2 days of fiddling about I have got the USB CMOTECH dongle connected and working.

My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad R60 and is running Slackware 11 but with a home-rolled kernel 2.6.20.4-smp, I'll be appy to shere the configuration files if anybody would like them. The wireless also works fine on this machine and I'll happily share how to get that working if needed.

Anyway, my Mrs brought home a C-motech CDMA 1x EV-DO USB Modem so of course I had to give it a go on the Slacktop.

This may seem like a silly request, but can you post a pic of of the USB C-Motech modem. Does one need to connect a mobile telephone to the device or is it a standalone device? Is the USB device purchased at an IT computer shop or via an ISP?

My wife's family lives in a small village (Ban Phraput) just outside Korat, and it would be nice to have internet service when I am visiting.

Edited by Gumballl

This may seem like a silly request, but can you post a pic of of the USB C-Motech modem. Does one need to connect a mobile telephone to the device or is it a standalone device? Is the USB device purchased at an IT computer shop or via an ISP?

My wife's family lives in a small village (Ban Phraput) just outside Korat, and it would be nice to have internet service when I am visiting.

I tried to take a pic but my phone's camera is hopeless, sorry. If you do a google image search for 'cmotech ccu 650 cdma modem' you can see it (it is the white one).

No phone is necessary, it plugs into a USB port and there is a little antenna that you pull out from the top. There is also a socket to connect an external antenna. Comes with a manual (useless for Mac!), a little USB extension cable and a Windows only driver CD.

It's very useful to be able to get on the net from basically anywhere, quite a nifty little gadget actually. I think it was bought at a regular computer store, but I'm not sure.

Be careful though, I think I read somewhere that CAT or whoever is going to move to some new system because uptake on this has been disappointing so it might be useless soon.

Thanks! Now that I can see the pics online, I have better notion of what the device is. Many mobile telephone companies here in the US offer a similar gadget... of course, for a monthly fee.

It seems that I would need to get a hold of one of the C-Motech devices from CAT, probably not at an IT shop. Can someone please confirm if this is true?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be in Thailand (Korat) in a couple of weeks; where can I go to purchase a C-Motech USB modem? Who do I contact (i.e. ISP) to obtain service? Is service available to "tourists"? Or does my Thai wife have to set up the contract for the service?

TIA

I'm going to be in Thailand (Korat) in a couple of weeks; where can I go to purchase a C-Motech USB modem? Who do I contact (i.e. ISP) to obtain service? Is service available to "tourists"? Or does my Thai wife have to set up the contract for the service?

TIA

find your local CAT office outside of Bangkok.

TIA

Ask and you shall recieve. According to my very poor Thai reading ability, you'll be bale to contact them by calling:

044 - 259707 </SPAN>

044 - 251138 </SPAN>

And if you want to know where they're at, go here:

42 ถ.จอมสุรางค์ ต.ในเมือง อ.เมือง จ.นครราช 30000

Pulled off their page here.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I procured the C-motech CCU-680 from the CAT office in Korat (for a mere 10990 Baht!). It works like a charm under WinXP, which I have set up as a guest-OS (using VMware Server 2.0) on my Ubuntu 8.04 system.

I would love to get the CCU-680 to work under Ubuntu, however I am stumped as to how to proceed setting it up.

The output from my /var/log/messages looks quite different from the output posted in the OP. All I see are messages indicating that a SCSI storage device has been detected. There is nothing to indicate that a "tty" device has been detected, so even using a dummy-tool like kPPP (KDE PPP) seems to be out of reach at this stage.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can tickle Ubuntu in such as way as for it to recognize the C-motech as something more than just a storage device?

P.S. How to I get to the "real" google site (say in the US) instead of the one here in Thailand?

Edited by Gumballl

Today I procured the C-motech CCU-680 from the CAT office in Korat (for a mere 10990 Baht!). It works like a charm under WinXP, which I have set up as a guest-OS (using VMware Server 2.0) on my Ubuntu 8.04 system.

I would love to get the CCU-680 to work under Ubuntu, however I am stumped as to how to proceed setting it up.

The output from my /var/log/messages looks quite different from the output posted in the OP. All I see are messages indicating that a SCSI storage device has been detected. There is nothing to indicate that a "tty" device has been detected, so even using a dummy-tool like kPPP (KDE PPP) seems to be out of reach at this stage.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can tickle Ubuntu in such as way as for it to recognize the C-motech as something more than just a storage device?

P.S. How to I get to the "real" google site (say in the US) instead of the one here in Thailand?

For some reason, I don't like using /var/log messages. What I do instead is unplug the device, give it a few seconds than issue the command:

dmesg | tail

I then plug the device back in and wait a few more seconds and reissue the command. It seems that most of these GPRS/EDGE/CDMA/HSDPA modems end up being recognised as a /dev/USBtty. If nothing else, the results of what I just described will tell you what your system is recognising it as.

Another option would be to install the latest kernel. There's often issues with older kernels not recognising newer devices/firmwares. I also noted that the CCU-680 is essentially similar to the CDU-680 with the exception of the firmware. So beware of trying to exactly follow a guide on getting the Franklin CDU-680 going.

After you get the system to recognise it, just follow slackula's excellent guide if you don't mind using the terminal or you can set it up with kppp/gnome-ppp.

Thanks Dave.

I have not used PPP in over 8 years, so I am bit rusty in that area. The command line does not frighten me whatsoever.

My only problem is that I chose Ubuntu as my OS. When I'm back state-side I tend to curse it alot because it does not ship with certain packages which I deem to be essential; but of course, when needed I can download the packages pretty much at will. Now that I'm here in LOS, I am really screwed because while operating under Ubuntu, I do not have an internet connection.

Currently I am missing the "connect" application (from the connect-proxy package); ditto for gnone-PPP.

So, if possible, I need to figure out how to download the relevant packages, while operating under WinXP, then transfer them to my Ubuntu system via a Samba mount; then install them using apt-get (or whatever Ubuntu uses).

Without an internet connection in Ubuntu, I don't think that there is an easier way to do this. Of course, if there is a nifty way to reverse-bridge my internet connection I have in WinXP to my Ubuntu OS that would be awesome.

P.S. Yesterday I created the PPP scripts as listed in the OP; the only thing that I may have wrong is the file permissions (for pppscript) and the specific device (/dev/ttyACM0??)

P.S.S. "dmesg" does not tell me anymore than /var/log/messages. Here's what I got...

[   95.557731] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[   95.560090] scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[   95.568408] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   95.568685] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[   95.569045] usb-storage: device found at 2
[   95.569050] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[   96.275074] usb-storage: device scan complete
[   96.278077] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access	 CMOTECH  Mass Storage	 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[   96.295027] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[   96.298025] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[   96.298031] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[   96.298036] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   96.307030] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[   96.310021] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[   96.310028] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[   96.310032] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   96.310038]  sdb: unknown partition table
[   96.347057] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[   96.347122] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[  129.837738] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[ 1170.375763] /dev/vmmon[8054]: PTSC: initialized at 1664092000 Hz using TSC
[ 1172.197102] /dev/vmnet: open called by PID 8060 (vmware-vmx)
[ 1172.197332] /dev/vmnet: port on hub 8 successfully opened
[ 1190.845327] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[ 1190.999399] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 1191.033768] scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[ 1191.036694] usb-storage: device found at 2
[ 1191.036700] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[ 1195.979919] usb-storage: device scan complete
[ 1195.982513] scsi 3:0:0:0: Direct-Access	 CMOTECH  Mass Storage	 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[ 1195.994483] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[ 1195.997476] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 1195.997480] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[ 1195.997482] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 1196.006498] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[ 1196.009497] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[ 1196.009502] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[ 1196.009505] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ 1196.009511]  sdb: unknown partition table
[ 1196.041502] sd 3:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[ 1196.041550] sd 3:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 1261.051931] scsi 3:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
[ 1261.870784] usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[ 1262.190641] usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[ 1263.092534] usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usbfs while 'vmware-vmx' sets config #1
[ 1263.092613] usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usbfs while 'vmware-vmx' sets config #1
[ 1269.841629] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2
[ 1271.140396] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[ 1271.230358] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 1271.271225] scsi4 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[ 1271.279005] usb-storage: device found at 3
[ 1271.279012] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[ 1272.035209] usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[ 1272.218115] usb 1-1: reset full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
[ 1272.456012] usb 1-1: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usbfs while 'vmware-vmx' sets config #1

Ok, I repeated the exercise again, this time without VMware running. Below is the relevant output from 'dmesg'. Is it possible that the CCU-680 is "new" and hence there isn't a driver available for it? I am using Ubuntu's kernel 2.6.24-19.

[   94.654638] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[   94.676073] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[   94.845657] usbcore: registered new interface driver libusual
[   94.909021] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[   94.928009] scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[   94.931008] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   94.931280] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[   94.931608] usb-storage: device found at 2
[   94.931613] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[   95.776697] usb-storage: device scan complete
[   95.779688] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access	 CMOTECH  Mass Storage	 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[   95.793641] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[   95.796640] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[   95.796646] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[   95.796651] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   95.805642] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[   95.808642] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[   95.808649] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[   95.808653] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   95.808659]  sdb: unknown partition table
[   95.838675] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[   95.838742] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

Btw, I was able to update my Ubuntu system with the connect-proxy and gpppon packages, for what it is worth.

Ok, I repeated the exercise again, this time without VMware running. Below is the relevant output from 'dmesg'. Is it possible that the CCU-680 is "new" and hence there isn't a driver available for it? I am using Ubuntu's kernel 2.6.24-19.

[   94.654638] usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
[   94.676073] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[   94.845657] usbcore: registered new interface driver libusual
[   94.909021] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[   94.928009] scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[   94.931008] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[   94.931280] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[   94.931608] usb-storage: device found at 2
[   94.931613] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[   95.776697] usb-storage: device scan complete
[   95.779688] scsi 2:0:0:0: Direct-Access	 CMOTECH  Mass Storage	 2.31 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[   95.793641] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[   95.796640] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[   95.796646] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[   95.796651] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   95.805642] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 162785 512-byte hardware sectors (83 MB)
[   95.808642] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
[   95.808649] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 0b 00 00 08
[   95.808653] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[   95.808659]  sdb: unknown partition table
[   95.838675] sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
[   95.838742] sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

Btw, I was able to update my Ubuntu system with the connect-proxy and gpppon packages, for what it is worth.

Are you saying that you were able to connect to the internet using the CAT usb modem and update your Ubuntu system after disabling vmware? If so, your chat scripts already have the device listed in it, look there for the info.

No, what I was inferring was that I was able to download a few packages using WinXP, and then I copied these to my Ubuntu shared-folder. From there I was able to install the packages onto Ubuntu (using the 'sudo dpkg -i' command).

I use VMware to run WinXP so that I can have internet access via the CCU-680. Without VMware, and hence WinXP, I would not be able to access the internet (to write this reply).

The scripts are in place, with /dev/ttyACM0 specified as the device. This device is incorrect because the device does not exist on my Ubuntu system. And I have no clue as to what the correct device is because neither dmesg or /var/log/messages indicate which device is being used.

I suspect that I need to modprobe a driver (if it exists) to get Ubuntu to recognize the CCU-680, and thus assign it a device in /dev.

Not that is matters too much at this stage, but how do I use the scripts as posted in the OP? As I mentioned before it has been over 8 years since I relied on PPP (for dial-up access to the internet). I remember something to the effect of pon <ispname>. But I do not have file in /etc/ppp/peers for CAT, nor was one listed in the OP.

Update...

I ran a modprobe for the 'cdc_acm' driver which is an USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters. Still no joy though in getting my system to recognize my CCU-680 as anything more than a USB storage device.

I am starting to believe that this driver (version 0.25) is not yet ready to support the CCU-680.

P.S. I elected to experiment with the cdc_acm driver because it was listed in the /var/log/messages of the OP.

No, what I was inferring was that I was able to download a few packages using WinXP, and then I copied these to my Ubuntu shared-folder. From there I was able to install the packages onto Ubuntu (using the 'sudo dpkg -i' command).

I use VMware to run WinXP so that I can have internet access via the CCU-680. Without VMware, and hence WinXP, I would not be able to access the internet (to write this reply).

The scripts are in place, with /dev/ttyACM0 specified as the device. This device is incorrect because the device does not exist on my Ubuntu system. And I have no clue as to what the correct device is because neither dmesg or /var/log/messages indicate which device is being used.

I suspect that I need to modprobe a driver (if it exists) to get Ubuntu to recognize the CCU-680, and thus assign it a device in /dev.

Not that is matters too much at this stage, but how do I use the scripts as posted in the OP? As I mentioned before it has been over 8 years since I relied on PPP (for dial-up access to the internet). I remember something to the effect of pon <ispname>. But I do not have file in /etc/ppp/peers for CAT, nor was one listed in the OP.

Update...

I ran a modprobe for the 'cdc_acm' driver which is an USB Abstract Control Model driver for USB modems and ISDN adapters. Still no joy though in getting my system to recognize my CCU-680 as anything more than a USB storage device.

I am starting to believe that this driver (version 0.25) is not yet ready to support the CCU-680.

P.S. I elected to experiment with the cdc_acm driver because it was listed in the /var/log/messages of the OP.

If you're brave, you can try flashing your CCU-680 with Franklin's CDU-680's firmware....or you can drop 240 (+40 S/H) USD on a router that will let you plug in your modem and share the connection. I have actually ordered one and am awaiting delivery. And supposedly the manufacturer is working on load balancing!

A couple of things come to mind:

Have you tried starting the machine with the card inserted?

Have you tried using modprobe usbserial with the product and vendor numbers i.e

modprobe usbserial vendor=0x**** product=0x****

(change the **** to the numbers for the card)

• 1 month later...

There is NOTHING to configure. Just go to "system preferences", go to Network, chose CMOTECH Techonlogies (you will see it as soon as your modem has been plugged in once). Than add the telephone number #777, account name: [email protected] password:

cdmacat

and click apply.

Than you click on the "advanced tap" and you chose for "Franklin" enable the error correction compression in modem and chose Ignore dial tone.

Click apply and you are done for the CDU 550.

For the 680 you simply download the modemdriver for MAC OS X from the CAT site. That is all.

For your convenience hit the box "show modem status in menu bar"

From your menu bar you can dial your modem. Disable the airport, otherwise it will interfere with the CMOTECH modem and it will keep on disconnecting.

No need to do anything more, it works like a breeze on both modems. The 680 is of course nicer as it has a 3.1 download and a 2.2 upload speed. In practice it is around 2 MB down and 1.2 MB up. the 550 gives you around 1.2-1.4 down and 800 KBS up. Do not believe the advertised speeds. But it is still much better than EDGE or the fake 3G from AIS in CM.

One problem, CAT and Hutch are incompetent when it comes to roaming. You can't use the CAT modem in bangkok or at the Eastern Seaboard. It all ends in Ayyuthaya, but works fine in the North, and the North East.

Cheaper than ADSL and much more reliable than IP star (if you buy it from TOT).