University Privatization

Tywais

Not sure is this is the best place to put this topic, if not another mod can move it to a more appropriate forum.

Some of you may remember a few years ago the initiative by the government to switch all government (public) universities into private ones. The bill has passed parliament and been signed by His Royal Highness making it a law now. I'm still trying to suss out what that means for me and also the university members who are under civil service.

AFAIK, my salary is currently coming from the government and not sure what's next. As for civil service employees, they have about a year to decide to keep the position or switch to being a university (private) staff position. The 2nd position appears to have an incentive of between 1.2 to 1.5 times existing salary. The disadvantage, from what I can see, is the loss of current retirement benefits and the safety net of being a government employee.

Just posting this as an update to the situation, most foreign workers (if not all) will not fall under the civil service issue of above.