Military Coup Brewing, Thai Mp Warns

george

Military coup brewing, Thai MP warns

BANGKOK: -- A spokesman for Thailand's ruling party created a stir yesterday when he claimed that a group of people opposed to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's government is planning a military coup.

Mr Suthin Klangsaeng, a Member of Parliament and deputy spokesman for the Thai Rak Thai party, did not name anyone.

However, he hinted that the group consists of military officers close to a London-based businessman who recently made corruption allegations against the government.

'The group of people who have long been opposed to this government are planning to stage a military coup,' Mr Suthin told reporters.

Speaking separately, Mr Thaksin refused to confirm or deny the allegation. 'Let it be the internal matter of my party,' he replied when asked by reporters to comment on Mr Suthin's remarks.

When Mr Thaksin was in Europe on an official trip, rumours were swirling in political circles last week about an alleged coup attempt linked to the London-based tycoon, Mr Ekkayuth Anchanbutr.

Mr Ekkayuth claimed earlier this month that members of the government influenced the stock prices of a bank to make money.

-- AP 2004-10-01

Update:

PM calls coup talk 'an internal matter'

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was tight-lipped yesterday about unsubstantiated reports that some people were planning a coup to overthrow his government.

"I want it to be an internal issue," the premier said curtly.

He then walked away without any comment on Thai Rak Thai deputy spokesman Suthin Klangsaeng's statement on Wednesday that some old faces behind movements to overthrow past governments were now trying to bring down the Thaksin-led administration.

Suthin went on to say that these people hoped to revive something like the September 9 coup, referring to the failed 1985 attempt to take over the government.

A Thai Rak Thai source also said the old faces were members of the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy's Class 7.

Yongyuth Tiyapairat, the PM's secretary-general, yesterday sought to dismiss reports about a planned coup against the incumbent administration.

"I think all those from Class 7 are now over 70 and in retirement. They can hardly walk now and barely have any aides in active service. So how can they do anything to others?" he said.

Yongyuth also warned controversial businessman Ekkayuth Anchanbutr to tend to his own affairs first before boasting about his attempts to help the country.

Meanwhile, Democrat Party leader Banyat Bantadtan said talk about a planned coup nowadays was "delirious".

"I wonder who would think of planning coups at the present time," he said.

He said government members should be more careful when talking about coups, because it could adversely affect the country.

--The Nation 2004-10-01

Well if it does happen curfew time for the sex tourists won't be any fun, :o

Corruption indeed,Maybe Toxin could get a law in deflammatry remarks towards him is counted as Treason :D

Yes Dr P there's a lot more to come for this man.

Mr Thaksin refused to confirm or deny the allegation. 'Let it be the internal matter of my party,' he replied when asked by reporters to comment on Mr Suthin's remarks.
"I want it to be an internal issue," the premier said curtly.

There you go guys, no need for concern as it will not affect anyone outside of the political circle. :o

Wouldn't a coup be unconstitutional, but then again TIT. :D  :o

Might be, but it does happen from time to time.

can get bloody, rememer 1991.

Indeed I do remember "91 Astral, I was here in 1973 as well but I thought there was something written into the "new" contsitution that stated it was unconstitutional for anyone to stage a coup against the government. I realize the current govenment uses this 'new' constitution for toilet paper but for the masses does it mean anything or even apply? You are correct, TIT and anything can happen and it can get bloody. :D:D

Wouldn't a coup be unconstitutional, but then again TIT. :D  :o

Might be, but it does happen from time to time.

can get bloody, rememer 1991.

I don't remember any bloodshed until General Suchinda decided he wanted to be prime minister.

in May 1992.

my wife was there playing pop-up target in sanam lanang

Oh, of course! An honorable and rich Thai carrying the sword (or is it shield) of Damacles is waiting to lead the charge down Rajadamnoen to avenge the alleged manipulation of a Thai bank stock by senior TRT politicians! I laughed, I cried at the honor of those well-healed Thai(??, yeah well only sort of :D )who are waiting in the wings to sweep to power under the guise of fighting for their poor countrymen in Issan and the North. :o Never happen.

Then your wife can tell 'em that that 1991 coup was virtually bloodless ( certainly in comparison to 1992 )

We met in Chiang Mai in May 91 , she was at the demonstrations at

Sanam Luang(spelling?) in May of 92, when the bullets went flying

(sparked by agents provocatuers?). Didn't know bout the 91 political stuff - just remember late 91 things were brewing for a showdown(I was in the ROK at this time).

It will be interesting to see if any of these military guys who are close to the guy in the UK start dying for some reason. Taksin could flippantly remark that it was either bird/pig/dog/human flu or that they were drug dealers and dealt with accordingly.....