Fun Golf With Fun Golfers In Pattaya - Tuesdays 8am Breakfast

bob4you

Fun Golf with Pattaya City Expat club

A group of like minded golfers meet once a week at 8am for breakfast at Canterbury Tales next door to Crazy Daves, Soi Chaiyapoon. (in May we will be meeting at Rabbi's Elephant Bar, Soi Beokau and Soi 21. Then @ 8:45 we carpool to Plutaloung Navy Course (challenging 36 hole course) for a fun day of golf. No reservations, No Handicaps, no betting, no twos, no long drives, no closest to the pin, just go out and play a fun game of Bingo Bango Bongo.

No handicaps are used, declared or allowed. Nobody will ask you what you shot on that last hole because “honors” goes to the first one who tees up. In US we call it “ready golf”.

There are no 2’s, closest to the pin, or longest drives that might embarrass the average golfer. If you are used to shooting 120 or 80 this is the place to come out and enjoy amateur golf with a bunch of fun loving guys who like to laugh and have fun. We play a format called “Bingo, Bango, Bongo”. Each group only competes with their own group, 3 points per hole, thus Bingo, Bango, Bongo, Bingo point goes to the first one on the green from the farthest away from the green. Bango point goes to whichever golfer is closest to the pin once everyone is on the green. Bongo point goes to whoever makes the longest putt. (Don’t try to learn the rules, someone in your group that knows the rules will keep score)

It does not matter how many strokes it took you to reach the green, nor, how many putts it took you to sink the longest putt, you still will win the point. We do have a few variations to the Standard PGA rules but most standard rules are ignored.

Examples. (*with no penalty)** only penalty is, you cannot win a Bingo point with that shot

• *Lift, clean and place within 12” allowed anywhere (no penalty).

• *Local rules of the course apply.

• ** Mulligan (tee up and hit again) allowed on every hole only if 1 of these apply.

1. If it didn’t go past the ladies tee.

2. It went into the water.

3. It went into the deep rough.

4. It went OB

• ** you are allowed to pick up your ball at anytime and move it to where you wish it had landed but didn’t.

• ** If you put the ball in the water and don’t want to waste another ball OK to drop on other side of the water.

• ** If you are in a sand trap with a high lip and you are having a difficult time getting out, it is OK to pick it up and throw it out if you want.

There are a few more slight variations to the rules but the best way to find out is to come out and join us. Remember the purpose of this group is to have fun, get some sun and exercise. It is not to learn the rules of golf or to embarrass anyone because of their stroke count.

Some of our recent winners

For more information call HawaiiBob @0878296824 or e-mail [email protected], or PM or just show up at Canterbury Tales or Elephant bar in May onward @ 8am. No reservations required, transportation available for B200 r/t club rental B300 at course.

post-1290-1207266843_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1207266852_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1207266878_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1207266891_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1207266955_thumb.jpg

This weeks winners along with a special prize for Oregon Bob who managed 2 birdies. He was awarded a prize by our current birdie champion Scarlet, a Red Lori. Unfortunately his prize disappeared quickly because we had to wipe it off of his shirt. :o

post-1290-1207657058_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1207657077_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob4you

The members voted yesterday to take a holiday from golfing next Tuesday 04/15/08 due to many escaping from Pattaya during Songkran and the increase of golf fees on holidays from B350 to B1200 for non PSC members and also expecting that many Thai's will possibly crowd the golf course.

Another fun day on the golf course. A trifle hot but most of us used buggies and the course did not get rain the night before so we were free to drive anywhere we wanted. Some players played full USGA rules along with Bingo, Bango, Bongo. IE no mulligans. Their are serious golfers in our group, but I'm not one of them.

Reminder starting in May we will be meeting at Rabbi's Elephant Bar, Soi Boakeau and Soi 21 (week after next).

post-1290-1208912797_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is confirmation that we will be meeting for breakfast at 8am at new venue called "Rabbi's Elephant Bar" located on Soi Boukhow almost at Soi 21.

See you all there.

Great breakfast now served at Rabbi's Elephant Bar for us golfers. It includes 2 eggs, huge English Sausage, 2 pieces of bacon (ham to us yanks), French fries, 2 pieces of toast with butter and jam, choice of beans or spaghetti, coffee or tea, orange or pineapple juice. served 8am - 10pm b100 but only b90 to the golfers.

Pictures of last week's winners.

post-1290-1210381643_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last week's winners. My apologies for being late in posting, busy moving and no internet where I moved to. We have new rules for next week, one is the winners this week have to be in same group the following week so less likely to have consecutive winners. We also are starting a monthly Mug this June for total points for the month.

post-1290-1212577077_thumb.jpg

Last week's winners. My apologies for being late in posting, busy moving and no internet where I moved to. We have new rules for next week, one is the winners this week have to be in same group the following week so less likely to have consecutive winners. We also are starting a monthly Mug this June for total points for the month.

post-1290-1212911116_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Our monthly winners for June, 1st Place was Steven, 2nd Mitch, and 3rd was Mini, congratulations to them. There was only 2 points separating 1st and 2nd place, a close race for a month of playing.

post-1290-1215437735_thumb.jpg

This week's winners, come out and join us on Tuesdays, no reservations required, no handicaps used. Meet at 8am for breakfast at Rabbi's Elephant bar or at the course (Plutoluong) at 9:30. Come have fun. I now have a extra set of clubs for rent for B200 let me know if you want me to bring them.

post-1290-1215438333_thumb.jpg

This week's winners. It has been a long time since I won in my group, but finally did this week. It cost me a beer for pressing on the back 9 against 2 worthy opponents. We usually have a small group or about a dozen people and a winner in each group. We have a lot of fun and constantly have new people joining us and they always swear to return next time they are in town along with the expat regulars who live here. Read the first posting for information on how the rules (or lack thereof) go. If you enjoy practicing on the golf course and not at the driving range this is the place to do it. If any of you need a set of clubs I have a extra set to loan at B200. Remember we now meet at Rabbi's Elephant Bar at 8am or at the course at 9:30 for a 10:00 am tee of, no reservations required.

post-1290-1215857505_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This week we had a full slate of players, enough for 3 foresomes. A couple of new players including a young high school player named Jamie who won his group, had a fun time and promised to come back next week and bring some of his highschool team mates with him to learn the intricacies of Bingo, Bango, Bongo. The course is in rough shape with them installing sprinkler systems on all 4 courses and filling the sand traps with a nice grade of fine sand. The greens were quite slow as they recently had been areated and sanded. Tomorrow we hope to have 15 players and are praying that we don't get one of the torrential downpours we have had the past couple of days. If you are looking to have a fun, inexpensive day of golf come join us on Tuesdays at 8am at Rabbi's Elephant Bar or at 9:30 at the Plutaleung Golf course.

post-1290-1216631651_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last week's winners. I was in one of the groups and Ed (the winner) scored 2 birdies with chip-ins from 10 yards off the green and another from 50 yards off the green. Quite remarkable shots. It was another nice day but the course is still in pretty rough shape.

post-1290-1217394234_thumb.jpg

This week we had 3 groups again, expecting 4 next week. I was a cloudy day so a pleasant day for golf, the sand traps were filled with new sand, the green were truer and the fairways are recovering nicely from the installation of the new sprinkler system. Starting next week we will be grouping our players based on their average BBB score the previous month that way the low handicapers, medium and high will be pitted against players of similar capabilities. In our groups this week we tried it and found that our scores were closer to each other than they had been with random pairings. My group after 16 holes we found that the scores were so close that anybody could win if they got lucky. Well I got lucky and won my group by 2 points.

Sorry the picture is so bad but forgot my memory card in computer again and no one else had a camera so I had to use my cel phone camera.

First picture is wrong picture, sorry.

post-1290-1217403998_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1217404584_thumb.jpg

Edited by bob4you

Well what an interesting three weeks the “B” Group have had with the Bingo Bango Bongo [also known as Bingle Bangle Bungle] golf competition played at Plataluang on Tuesday’s. in case you do not understand the point scoring of this golf game please let me explain, 1 point is awarded for each of the three types of achievements the first player in a group to get his ball on the green [ bingo], the player in the group whose ball is closest to the pin once all balls on the green [bango] and the player to first put out [bongo]. A “gimme” does not count in scoring and if nobody puts out on the hole the point is carried over to the next.

Although “anything goes”, within reason, on the fairway [including teeing up, and repositioning of the ball] it is a very good way of improving your short game tactic and abilities.

If you want to join our merry band, we meet on Tuesdays at Rabbi’s Elephant Bar in Soi Buakhau for breakfast at 8am and depart at 8:30am. There is generally space in a car if you need transport. Give Hawaii Bob a call on 087 829 6824 for further information.

“B” Group Results and observations.

On the 22nd of July we had Rabbi, Ken, Oregon Bob and a one-off visit from Rick [uSA] where Oregon Bob took the day with 18 points from Rabbi 15, Rick 11 and Ken 10

On the 29th Rabbi, Tim, Oregon Bob and Ed battled it out to end up with Ed coming in first with 18 from Oregon Bob 14, Tim 12 and Rabbi 10

Yesterday, the 5th of August the battle continued with Rabbi, Ken, Tony and Tim. Tony succeeding after a close finish with 19, Rabbi 15, Ken14 and Tim offering to buy beer at Rabbi’s Elephant Bar for a week if his result was not revealed!

The Lord of golf was able to witness from above many instances of some new and exhibition shots including

· The “worm burning - watch out behind and to the side of me” fairway & tee shots beautifully executed by Tim and Tony :D

· The “Oh Darn I’ve broken my rented Lek Jet [7 Iron]” on the back 6 East hole. :o

King Neptune had a very profitable period with his ball collection and reclaiming and I am certain that most of the balls that I purchased yesterday were exactly the same ones that I and or my buddies purchased previously from the ball lady.

The welcome news was given to us yesterday that unfortunately the North course is going to be unplayable for a few months while they redo the reticulation, which of course means that we will not be able to show off our abilities on the number 2, par 3, 145 yard, over the water onto the lighthouse island green.

That’s all for now until next Tuesday!

Come and join us to experience the thrills and excitement of B-B-B.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Notice, no golf this week as it is another Thai holiday, but the bars will still be open. We don't want to pay holiday rates, nor be stuck behind the Thai 6 ball groups. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report from last week on group C. We started with 4 of us behind group B with 3 players, but on the first T Aussie Tim hit his drive over the heads of group B, we made him move up to that group, he would have made the rest of us look bad as none of us hit further than 150 yards from the T on that hole hand he went about 250.

We started on the West 9 and finished on the South 9. The North 9 is closed for a few months, both installing sprinklers like they did on the other 27 and doing a lot of landscaping. That means without the island green most of us loose 1-3 fewer balls each week. :hello09:

We had a tight grouping all the way to the last hole, Oregon Bob was leading by a point or 2 most of the game, but Hawaii Bob snuck up on him and sealed the win on the last hole by making a 8' putt that had a carry-over point on it.

See you all in 10 days, come join us.

• 3 weeks later...

This week's winners, only 2 of 3 could stay for picture but we had our regular group of a dozen players. Next week is the last week of our monthly contest for August and since we passed on one holiday Tuesday only 3 weeks for qualifying. Come join us tomorrow or any Tuesday that you want a relaxing day of fun golf.

I did manage to break 100 for the second time this year with a 98, but still not eligible for PSC handicaping as it included 2 mulligans and 1/2 dozen gimmies beyond the grip when someone made the "bongo" point.

post-1290-1219644504_thumb.jpg

Another interesting round of golf for the “B” Group in the Bingo Bango Bongo [golf competition played at Plataluang on Tuesday’s.

If you want to join our merry band, we meet on Tuesdays at Rabbi’s Elephant Bar in Soi Buakhau for breakfast at 8am and depart at 8:30am. There is generally space in a car if you need transport. Give Hawaii Bob a call on 087 829 6824 for further information.

“B” Group Results and observations.

Yesterday, the 26th of August the battle continued at Plataluang after a week off due to “holidays” with the following results

West South Total

Rabbi 7 7 14

Jon, 6 6 12

Tony 4 3 7

Rick. 10 11 21

Rick declared at the outset that this would be his last game in Thailand as it was leaving to go back to the States but will be back around December. Hopefully we will have improved and will be able to give the Yank a run for his money.

Your trusty correspondent was happy to come in second and even more pleased to get a simulated Stableford score of 33.

There was a bit of a mixup at the beginning and our trusty B team teed off first rather than second because somebody from the 18 had apparently hammed it up with his Putter at home and forgot to put it back in his golf bag. Luckily someone had a spare putter that was retrieved from the car park.

There was a bit of a mystery at the second tee when Rick disappeared. His caddie was also perplexed but he eventually reappeared and had apparently been down to the lake. If I was going to disappear I would have taken the caddie with me! I cannot understand these USA citizens

Also on the second Tony gave an excellent demonstration of how to tee off on the fairway straight into the nahm. May be a just reward.

John seem to have perfected his abilities to also tee off on the fairway [ allowable in BBB] So on the seventh he showed us how to send his ball about 1 yard out in front of the tea and then do a 90° turn to the left and go uphill 80 yards into the jungle and to prove it was not a fluke on the 17th he showed us again how to execute a 90° turn from the tee.

The 18th green was proof that not only is ping pong returning to its home at the 2012 London Olympics but the ping-pong is well and alive in Pattaya. Is this last hole was a carryover and we managed with the help of John, after Rick “gimmeed” to witness him take the two points with only seven putts