Fun Golf With Fun Golfers In Pattaya - Tuesdays 8am Breakfast

bob4you

Another dozen players showed up this week and we started right on time, well almost. South had 2 4 balls waiting so we moved to East where we found 5 Thais walking just teeing off behind 5 other Thais walking so we hustled off to West course where we were able to get right on and after 9 holes South was available so that is where we finished.

A little drizzle before and after the lightening didn't faze us except we decided not to park the buggy under a tree. My wife was very accommodating as she was willing to let my caddy drive and she stood in back of the buggy to act as the lightening rod. Fortunately her largess was not needed as Buddha did not even come close with the bolts.

I was captaining the C group that consisted of me, my wife Mini, Kanada Ken and brother Tim. I managed to eek out the win with 19 points and on the last hole did not even need a point to come into the clubhouse a winner. Good thing as I put a ball in the water in front of the green so my shot on the green was not eligible for the Bingo point, was not even close for the Bango point but I did manage to sink a 5' 2 putt to take the bongo point. None of us we putting well as we had 3 carry over points for the Bongo point.

The par 5 on the South course over water ate at least 4 balls and maybe 5 as some people wanted a second chance to try to get over the water, but the C group is not known for its accuracy. Oh well next month based on my average score I have moved up to the A group and will be expected to do better on that hole.

We all prefer that hole on South course vs the lighthouse island par 3 on the North course which is going through a major modification and due to re-open in next month or 2 (Thai time). I think with our group we can bet on loosing 10 out of 12 balls from the tee and at least 4 more from the drop zone.

It reminds me of a joke I learned a long time ago. "If you think sex is a pain in the ass, you are doing it wrong" Change that to "If you think golf is a pain, you are not playing with the Bingo, Bango, Bongo group, come out and join us.

post-1290-1219824993_thumb.jpg

I just finished the Aussie Big breakfast at Rabbi's Elephant Bar.

2 eggs (I like scrambled, and here they throw in onions N/C) any way you want them

2 toast (butter, jam, vegemite, peanut paste (peanut butter to us Yanks)

1 American Bacon

1 large sausage

baked beans or spaghetti

french fries

freshly made espresso coffee

orange juice

real HP sauce and Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce

All this for B100 and if you join us for Bingo, Bango, Bongo golf on Tuesday there is even a 10% discount.

Rabbi's is located on Soi Boukao almost at corner of soi 21 heading towards Pattaya Klang from Soi Lenkee

post-1290-1220074143_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1220074154_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1220074166_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks winners and report from A group.

Hawaii Tim is back with us after 6 weeks in Hawaii and won first place in his group, I move up to group A from C and finished dead last. The day started out bad with lightening and thunder on the way to the course and it was raining when we got there. We moved to the club house for breakfast and decision on how to proceed. At 10 o'clock the fairways looked like a overhead shot of Minnesota (land of lakes) and the sand trap in front of the clubhouse was so full of water you could hardly see sand.

Not very promising but at 9:45 we made a executive decision to wait until 10:30 to decide to pay our green fees (no rain checks allowed). At 10:10 rained slowed, fairways started to drain and you could see sand in the traps so @ 10:25 we paid our fees and headed to the first tee.

The first 3 holes things were quite soggy, including my golf shoes but we had a lot of free drops because of standing water. By the fourth hole the sogginess abated except for my golf shoes. By the end of the 4th holes my sole fell off and I played the rest of the 18 holes with 1 shoe and sock and 1 bare foot. What a mistake that was. I always wear socks even with sandals and never need to wear suntan lotion when playing golf. Well my foot had never seen sunlight and I ended up with 3rd degree burns on one foot from the ankle down to my toes. Ouch 4 days of drenching it in Hydrocortosine cream with Aloe I can finally put my shoes and socks on without grimacing.

Oregon Bob won in our A group hands down, in fact with 3 holes to go he had tied the record for the best point score for `18 holes already amassing 21 points, at that point he felt the pressure and the rest of us would not let up and managed to hold him to only 1 point the last 3 holes. All in all a memorable performance by one of our regular players with the nickname OB.

I hope to see some new faces tomorrow and am happy to announce we have lined up a couple of sponsors (Mini of Mini's Aviary and Rabbi of Rabbi's Elephant bar)who will be paying for shirts for the monthly winners and sponsoring tournaments with no entry fee and cash prizes for the winners. Watch this sight for details.

post-1290-1220864584_thumb.jpg

This month's high point scorer's Hawaii Bob4you won by just a point and this week we announced a free tournament will be played on Thursday the 18th with cash prizes to the 3 top winners and prizes for hole in one, Albatross, Eagle, Mulligan, birdie and not entry fee to join us. High scores will be based on BBB points so no handicap needed, in fact no real stroke count needed except for hole in one, Albatross, Eagle, Mulligan, birdie. We will have one of our regulars in each group to verify scores.

Also pictured are the sponsor's Mini and Rabbi.

post-1290-1220865532_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1220865618_thumb.jpg

Free tournament (no entry fee and cash prizes). This is your opportunity to learn BBB golf and win some prizes and free food after wards. The sponsor's are putting up the prizes and if we have 20 or more players the prize pool will double so come have fun.

Free tournament (no entry fee and cash prizes). This is your opportunity to learn BBB golf and win some prizes and free food after wards. The sponsor's are putting up the prizes and if we have 20 or more players the prize pool will double so come have fun.

post-1290-1221103195_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Should read "This weeks winners and one honorable mention. OB and Tony are regular players and regular winners but the 3rd person in the picture has played with us every week since we started and no matter if we put him in group A, B or C he comes in dead last, but this week was and exception, John S came in 2nd 1 shot behind Tony and the winner was not decided until the last hole as John was 3 points behind going into 18 and already had set a personal record having recorded 3 points on 1 hole in the front 9, then topping that record with another hat trick on the back 9. You could see visions of turning pro running around in his head if he could score 3 on the last hole he would tie for the win. But alas it was not to be as he only scored 2 of the 3 points. Well done John! "

Computer crash.

Results of the Free Tournament. We introduced the art of Bingo, Bango, Bongo to some new players one of whom placed in the final four. Mini and he tied for 3rd place and the both insisted I get a picture of both of them together as there is such a contrast in their sizes.

The other picture is of the winners and the sponsors of the tournament. Keep a eye on this site as we plan on doing this "free tournament" monthly. Thanks to all who participated and to Rabbi who provided a free spread of food after the event at Rabbi's Bar.

post-1290-1222228067_thumb.jpg

post-1290-1222228109_thumb.jpg

Report from Group A and pictures from yesterday. After 9 holes only one point separated 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and we fought hard but by the time we finished 17 holes there was no contest left. One of our regular golfers who has never won a grouping was 4 points ahead and none of us had a chance to even tie him, so congratulations to John W for his nice clean win. He even knocked the legs out from under our record holder OB (Oregon Bob) and limiting him to only 12 points after record setting performances the last 2 weeks.

Group C saw one of our frequent winners (Tony) post another 1 point win over his good buddy John S who is still trying hard to post his first win, although we published his picture last week as a honorable mention for his second place win last week, but no more honorable mentions, he just us going to have to try a little harder and post a win to get his picture in the news.

Rabbi took a group of visitors from US and Aussie land with him to make up group B and teach them all about Bingo, Bango, Bongo and they learned well. Jeff won out as a first time player and left the other 3 tied for 2nd or last place in there group 2 points behind the leader.

See you all next Tuesday.

post-1290-1222229900_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Report from group C and pictures of the winners. Group C consisted of Bob, Mini, Canada Ken and a visitor from the US named Harry. He is in the US navy but was exposed to Thailand via Cobra Gold a few years back. He has been to Thailand 3 times but never brought his clubs so opted to come out and "play a round" differently than the other time he came and played around. He as a good golfer admitting only that his best game was 81 and he hit that twice but is usually happy with a 95+-. Well he taught us a few things on Tuesday by winning group C handily. Going into the last hole he was 4 points ahead of second place so was assured of the win. A good sport and vowed to come back next Tuesday to give us a chance to get even.

If you want to have fun playing golf come out and join us on Tuesdays and don't take life and the game too seriously.

So this week's winners were Steven, Harry and Rabbi.

post-1290-1222927605_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well for 3 Tuesdays while some of our intrepid Fun Golfers were “touristing” in Philippines and other climes, apart from Pattaya, a hardy band of purists continued the battle of greens with B-B-B fun golf

Tuesday 18th saw the introduction of Ozzie James to B-B-B golf but with a slight mixup in teeing off he was destined to play a two ball with Rabbi whilst unbeknown Jon, Tony & Mick had teed off early and didn’t complete the round “due to rain” and were noticed leaving by James & Rabbi about 1:15pm

The only result for the round James 23 Rabbi 3.

Yesterday, 25th was still missing the “travellers” but Mini, Oregon Bob, Ozzie James & Rabbi had an excellent round under ideal conditions at Plataluang

James was pleased with his lesson on Chipping that he got from PGA professional teacher David Race who resides at Dianna Driving Range and intends to go back for more instructions. Mini continued showing her ability for straight fairway play and an uncanny ability to get so many “gimmees” on the green. Rabbi was not pleased with his 1st hole but from there on played better than his normal form and managed a real “birdie” on South #6 when feathers burst from the trees and deflected a perfect ball into the nam!

Final results were Oregon Bob 20; Rabbi & Mini shared 2nd with 12 and Ozzie James 10.

Fervour is building up for the monthly free tournament on Friday 28th with many entrants joining from Pattaya Golf Society to get their hands on the Prizes

1st B1000 - 2nd B500 - 3rd B250 - Hole in 1 B10,000 - Albatross B5000 – Eagle B1000 – Birdie B100 - Chip in B50

*Prizes will double if more than 20 players and current indications are positive that this will be the case.

Be quick and come and enjoy Fun Golf with Fun People this Friday, sign up sheets are posted at Rabbi’s Elephant Bar & Guesthouse, 210 Soi Buakhau or ring

Hawaii Bob on 0878296824 or

Rabbi 086 494 13 224

• 1 month later...

Well we are on the countdown for our monthly BBB Fun Golf Tournament on Friday 30th January.

We will be playing Bingo, Bango, Bongo Format. Rules will be posted at bar and handed out on day of tournament.

No handicap or stroke count used only the Bingo, Bango, Bongo scoring.

We will be leaving from Rabbi’s @ 8:45 sharp after breakfast with a tee time of approximately 10:00 am.

We will be playing Plataluang Navy Golf course on a PSC price of β 550 green fee + caddy fee, caddy tip and buggy fee (optional).

Awards, prizes and free finger food at Rabbi’s after. (4:30 pm approx. You must attend presentation to be eligible for a prize

Come have fun and learn how to play Bingo, Bango, Bongo.

Signup sheets are on the Fun Golf Notice board in Rabbi's Elephant Bar or contact Bob [08 105 15 030] or Rabbi [08 494 13 224]

No entry fee, only β 200 voucher purchase required prior to tee off. The voucher can be credited against your bar bill for up to 14 days at Rabbi’s Elephant Bar

Prizes

1st β1000*

2nd β 500*

3rd β 250*

[* double if more than 20 players]

Hole in 1 β 10,000

Albatross β 5000

Eagle β 1000

Birdie β 100

Chip in β 50

Meet for breakfast @ Rabbi’s Elephant Bar,

Soi Buakao @ 8:00 am

or at Plutaluang Navy Golf course @9:30

As our intrepid coordinator “Hawaii Bob” was organising re-entry visas literally hours before he was due to depart for the Philippines 13 enthusiastic Bingo Bongo Bango golf players assembled at Plataluang Navy course to engage in the pre-tournament round of golf on West and North. Unfortunately your scribe was unable to play what with a bad back and an undying devotion to work at his bar but the results were inspiring and it is evident that a lot of effort has been put in by all of them to try and win the Fun Golf Tournament this Friday.

The results were:-

A Team

West North Total 1’s 2’s 3’s

Jim 7 9 16 1st 9 3 4

Skippy 7 5 12 2nd 2 6 4

John 3 3 6 4 2

Tony 7 4 11 3rd 3 3 5

Mick 3 6 9 4 3 2

B Team

Oregon Bob 6 13 19 1st 5 5 9

Jomo 4 2 6 4 1 1

John W. 9 7 16 2nd 5 7 4

Tim 6 7 13 3rd 4 5 4

C Team

Barb 7 7 14 2nd 7 4 3

Michigan Bob 3 8 11 3rd 4 3 4

Felix 5 4 9 1 5 3

Carmen 12 8 20 1st 6 6 8

Don’t forget the Tournament on Friday signup sheets in Rabbis Elephant Bar and it is filling up fast. Transport is available and there are golf clubs for rent at 200 Baht for the day and look at the prizes

1st β1000*

2nd β 500*

3rd β 250*

[* double if more than 20 players]

Hole in 1 β 10,000

Albatross β 5000

Eagle β </SPAN>1000

Birdie β 100

Chip in β 50

We are meeting either at Rabbi’s Elephant Bar in Soi Buakhaus at 8 am or at the course of 930 am with presentations at 430 pm back at Rabbi’s.

To be eligible for a prize you must be at the presentation and although there is no entry fee is a 200 Baht voucher payable and available before tee-off that can be redeemed against your bar bin on Friday or within 14 days of the tournament. [they cannot be converted into cash nor is there any cash refund]

In case there are any doubts about the rules of B-B-B Golf they are printed below

Rules for Bingo Bango Bongo Golf

Definition: Bingo Bango Bongo is a points-based game that can be played by any number of players, from two up.

In Bingo Bango Bongo, three types of achievements are rewarded with a point. The first player in a group to get his ball on the green gets a point (bingo). The player in the group whose ball is closest to the pin once all balls are on the green gets a point (bango) and the player in the group who is first to hole out gets a point (bongo).

Add up the points at the end of the game, highest points wins.

Bingo Bango Bongo gives weaker players a chance to earn points because what matters is being first at something. For example, all members of the group tee off on a par-4. The player who hit the worst drive (farthest from the hole) plays first, and so has the first shot at winning the bingo point.

So too, with closest to the pin. The best players in the group are likely to be on the green in two (or three on a par-5), while the weakest players might be chipping. The closest-to-the-pin point is only earned once all balls are on the green, so the player who has hacked it up the fairway may be sitting just off the green and chipping - giving that player a great chance to pick up the bango point.

Because of these factors (and because the first person putting will be the one farthest from the hole), strict etiquette must be enforced. The player who is away always plays first.

Fun Golf Tournament 30th of January 2009

What a great day was had at Plataluang Navy golf course yesterday!

The weather Gods were extremely kind to us and although at one stage in the afternoon it looked as though we might have been in for some rain it did not occur

We were blessed with cool breezes and a course in excellent condition given its past record. The renovations on the North course seem to have proved very successful with the exception of North 3 [ the par 3 on to the lighthouse green]. It was the Scribes hope that part of the renovation would have included the removal of the nam between the tee and the green but apparently this was not done and as usual the nam won two more balls from him.

After a recess in December it was pleasing to see 18 players roll up and they were split into five flights [ 3 x 4 balls and 2 x 3 balls] teeing off at 9:45 am from North and West simultaneously so that we all arrived back in the clubhouse within minutes of each other and olnly a couple of delays because National insertions of 6 & 5 ball groups. But atway it is Thailand!!

The presentations were due to take place at 4:30 pm at Rabbis Elephant Bar in Soi Buakhaus, Pattaya, but with the absence of Hawaii Bob in the Philippines the organisation and calculations was left to the Scribe and the announcements from the podium were delayed until five o'clock few a few embarrassing moments due to his lack of expertise.

After the initial announcement of prizes, in reverse order, it was realised after giving out the rewards that the first prize winner was not in attendance and therefore ineligible for the prize. With the speed of Yiddish lightning all the money was collected and recalculation and distribution come up with the following results

Bonus prizes were awarded to and for

Rick 1 birdie and 1 chip in

John W. 1 chip in

American Jim 1 birdie

As can be seen from the following results the competition was extremely keen and close and congratulations to the seven winners and congratulations also to all those who participated

Equal 1st place shared between PGS Tim and Damien

Equal 2nd place shared between Ray and Minnesota Bob

Equal 3rd place between Tony, Tim and Rick

The Scribe should have been awarded a wooden spoon for getting the lowest score but he blamed his bad back and lack of golf over the past two months and has warned everybody in the Pattaya Fun Golf and the Pattaya Golf Society that he is now back in action and raring to go.

Overall a very good day of fun golf under the "Bingo Bongo Bango" rules of golf was had by all with excellent and congenial company both on the course and back at the presentations.

Although the tournament has no entry fee and all prizes are sponsored directly by Pattaya Parrots [Hawaii Bob] and Rabbis Elephant Bar it was the intention to introduce a 200 Baht redeemable "Check Bin" voucher but this is being delayed until the next tournament the dates of which will be confirmed shortly but looks like being Friday the 27th of February once again at Plataluang.

Don't forget that we play B-B-B every Tuesday from Rabbi's Elephant Bar leaving after having breakfast at 8:30am. Transport & Hire Clubs can be arranged. Sign up sheets are at the bar so come along and enjoy some fun golf with nice people or if you want to play serious golf the Pattaya Golf Society under the direction of IPGC [R&A] also play out of the bar and information & sign up sheets are also available at Rabbi's

If you want more details contact Hawaii Bob on 0810515030 or Rabbi 0849413224 or even reply to this posting.

This scribe needs to get his priorities sorted out coz he keeps putting golf 2nd so didn't play Fun Golf this week "AGAIN" but I understand a good time was had by all who did.

There were 3 teams totalling 11 players and the winners were

A Team - Jomo 18 points

B Team - Damiem 23 points corrected to 17 when allowing for team players

C Team - John W 16 points

Hawaii Bob has apparently returned to Pattaya after an urgent trip to PI but at this time I have sighted him but am certain he will be available for next Tuesday's outing to Plataluang.

If you are wanting some Fun Golf come and play Bingo -Bongo -Bango with us it is Cheap & Fun!!

We meet at Rabbi's Elephant Bar at 8am for breakfast on Tuesdays leaving at 8:30am. Transport and Hire Clubs are available. Jjust sign up at the bar or contact Hawaii Bob on 0810515030 or Rabbi 0849413224

• 1 month later...