Largest Planet Observatory To Be Built In Cm

george

Largest planet observatory center to be built in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- The cabinet has given the greenlight to Chiang Mai University to construct Thailand's largest planet observatory center atop the Doi Intanon to benefit research works and those who are interested in astronomy.

Assoc. Prof. Boonraksa Sunthornthum, the Dean of the Faculty of Science, Chiang Mai University, said that the cabinet had approved the construction of the planet observatory center, where a telescope with the diameter of up to two metres would be put in place.

The construction would begin in 2006, he disclosed.

"Thai people, especially youths, are now more interested in astronomy. This could be seen from people visiting the Sirindhorn Planet Observatory Center situated atop the Doi Suthep, which was also built by Chiang Mai University", he said.

The Chiang Mai University's Faculty of Science will also host the 5th International Astronomy Conference between 4-8 October when international astronomical researchers will gather to exchange ideas and present their research works of the Asian region, as well as to explore ways on strengthening their cooperation in astronomy in the future, according to Assoc.Prof. Boonraksa.

--TNA 2004-09-03

Pity. I can't help but feel a Planetarium in Chiang Mai city would be of more use in educating the populace. It would also add to the Tourism dollar here.

Catch 'em young, with the planetarium. You will then have a much larger pool of interested potential astronomers to use an observatory.

Then again... it's an added attraction that will draw people to Doi Inthanon. Right now there's not all that much to see and do when you actually reach the top. :o

(Not that I think the top of Doi Inthanon should be the main attraction for going there, IMHO it's the huge forests & hill villages. And the waterfalls, perhaps. )

Cheers,

Chanchao

Then again... it's an added attraction that will draw people to Doi Inthanon. Right now there's not all that much to see and do when you actually reach the top. :o

(Not that I think the top of Doi Inthanon should be the main attraction for going there, IMHO it's the huge forests & hill villages. And the waterfalls, perhaps. )

Cheers,

Chanchao

I agree with your post here, particularly regarding the forests etc. However I can not see an observatory drawing the tourist dollar. D-I is too far away from hotels, restaurants and other tourist infrastructure to have people visiting at night time, when they could view the planets, and I would frankly not be too happy to see new hotels etc. replacing the forests.

The purpose of the proposed observatory has to be solely for students from CMU and elsewhere and these will either camp out or be bussed out and back, unless a student dormitory is constructed on site. They will not benefit the local economy.

hi'

nothing more urgent to do with all this money?

yes, this could be interesting to have an observatoy, but who does it concern?

look at the stars! ... don't look too close to our low world ... because downhere, we are doing nothing to improve your life :o

like many countries they use the money to do things that aren't absolutly necessary :D

francois

hi'

nothing more urgent to do with all this money?

yes, this could be interesting to have an observatoy, but who does it concern?

look at the stars! ... don't look too close to our low world ... because downhere, we are doing nothing to improve your life :o

like many countries they use the money to do things that aren't absolutly necessary :D

francois

franco did you get up on the wrong side of someone else's bed?? :D

Am I the only one thinking the location may not be so good?

Granted, there are no cities big enough in the vicinity to mess up the sight conditions, but surely all the dust and other particles in the air in this region reach Doi Inthanon and reduce sight as well? :o

Wouldn't Loei, Phrae or Nan or suchlike provide better sight conditions? Maybe less tourist dollars though.

hi'

franco did you get up on the wrong side of someone else's bed??

:D no :D

I just see how money is often used to non-urgent things most of the time in so many countries ... (even in europe)

like bringing aircon to villages in Africa :o ... just jokin' :D

so many more urgent needs rather than a hudge stars observer .. don't you think?

cheers

francois

I hate pointing out the obvious, but for 9 months of the year, Doi Inthanon is fogged in.. totally. The other 3 months it would be ok. Overall as soon as I heard "worlds' biggest" I immediately relaxed.

Find out who wants it, and who he sleeps with and work out the family contacts. See where the dear leader gets his hand in the honey jar.

It is a ridiculous idea, like most originating from dear leader.