Building A House In Udon Thani

springer64

My wife and i are planning to build a house in udon thani,near Nong Som about 20min from Big C by car,have land bought and cleared already,size about 300 sqmt.Is this size ok, ? for a bungalow or should i go up,ideally we would like to have 1 ample size bedroom wth en suite,2smaller bedrooms,kitchen,2 living rooms,extra bathroom with shower.Can this be built for 1.5 million baht,no designs as yet i have no idea on how to design,have one family friend whose quilified designer in udon who can take care for this,what price would i be roughly paying for him to design.We plan to buy all materials ourselves and be there all the time the house is being built.In Ireland at the moment going to udon for a month in sept maybe build perimeter wall then,some people have suggested to go down and have basement bedrooms but i'm unsure about this maybe pricey.The village is Nong na Jalung near nong som and nong wa very close to the potash company.Any suggestions,help, or advice would be welcome.This is my first posting,i have lived in samui for almost 5yrs had a restaurant/bar near Bophut also a bar in Chaweng,married 3yrs moved to Ireland with my wife 2 yrs ago both holding steady jobs, planning to settle within the next 2yrs have stayed in udon many times with inlaws good family, hard working,minimal drinkers,non card players so i'm lucky in that respect,wife comes from small family 2 sisters 1 brother all sorted more or less.My few years in samui brought me some good experience, i learned alot but yes i know things can go belly up,but if we go about things with some good planning and try to be a little wise with our decisions i hope we will be o.k.,i've heard to many horror stories.All help/replys welcomed. Thanks

In the States I lived in several houses and had two built for me and after a few months I would discover the such and such should have been different. That is life.

In Thailand I have discovered that the price is always low and I know I will have to pay a higher price in the end. All in all I Have been happy with the work except for painting.

I would like to suggest for u to visit as many friends or Forangs as possible and notice what little nice things they have, you can obtain many ideas which will in the end give u a more comfortable home.

Best of luck, do hope u enjoy your new home.

Can this be built for 1.5 million baht,no designs as yet i have no idea on how to design,have one family friend whose quilified designer in udon who can take care for this,what price would i be roughly paying for him to design.

Have you seen the house design books by Home Collection Group available in all decent sized bookstores, cost about 350 baht all sizes and styles of house's available in the books. If you after a bungalow then buy book number 120, ISBN No 978-974-8418-90-2.

Just show the design you want to your builder for a quote. Might save some money on having someone designing for you if there is a plan you like.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Edited by Mr Conrad

You can call Hoy 081 544 0141. He is a very good designer and a graduate from ajan Prokab( a very well respected teacher/builder in this area) and he also works with a builder that is good so he can quote you construction costs.Plans for what you are talking about will be about 3000 to 4000 baht . Even if you dont use him for the construction pay him to come to the job site once a week and check that things are being done right.( It is not expensive and will most likley save you alot of money and headaces in the end) Make sure that in your contract with the builder that he has to fix anything hoy finds fault with. Also he does not speak english

Thanks nongkhaidude for the advice,however as we are planning to build and settle in the village my wife thinks it would be in our best interests to keep it local ( well the labour anyway),there are many teams of young guys around looking for work and capable of a good days work,yeah i know they will expect their bottles of loa kow + ciggies but it might be cheaper using there services and it keeps the cash inside the village,if we opt for outside builders we might piss off a few people for a while,right now were undecided on that point,but thanks for Hoys number i will definetly call him when i get to udon for a meet + see where we go from there,thanks again

Can this be built for 1.5 million baht,no designs as yet i have no idea on how to design,have one family friend whose quilified designer in udon who can take care for this,what price would i be roughly paying for him to design.

Have you seen the house design books by Home Collection Group available in all decent sized bookstores, cost about 350 baht all sizes and styles of house's available in the books. If you after a bungalow then buy book number 120, ISBN No 978-974-8418-90-2.

Just show the design you want to your builder for a quote. Might save some money on having someone designing for you if there is a plan you like.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

Thanks Mr Conrad,I will get one of books, but right now not sure if it will be a bungalow or to add another storie,we might even go down to have basement rooms do you think this would be costly? thanks again for your reply.

My wife and i are planning to build a house in udon thani,near Nong Som about 20min from Big C by car,have land bought and cleared already,size about 300 sqmt.Is this size ok, ? for a bungalow or should i go up,ideally we would like to have 1 ample size bedroom wth en suite,2smaller bedrooms,kitchen,2 living rooms,extra bathroom with shower.Can this be built for 1.5 million baht,no designs as yet i have no idea on how to design,have one family friend whose quilified designer in udon who can take care for this,what price would i be roughly paying for him to design.We plan to buy all materials ourselves and be there all the time the house is being built.In Ireland at the moment going to udon for a month in sept maybe build perimeter wall then,some people have suggested to go down and have basement bedrooms but i'm unsure about this maybe pricey.The village is Nong na Jalung near nong som and nong wa very close to the potash company.Any suggestions,help, or advice would be welcome.This is my first posting,i have lived in samui for almost 5yrs had a restaurant/bar near Bophut also a bar in Chaweng,married 3yrs moved to Ireland with my wife 2 yrs ago both holding steady jobs, planning to settle within the next 2yrs have stayed in udon many times with inlaws good family, hard working,minimal drinkers,non card players so i'm lucky in that respect,wife comes from small family 2 sisters 1 brother all sorted more or less.My few years in samui brought me some good experience, i learned alot but yes i know things can go belly up,but if we go about things with some good planning and try to be a little wise with our decisions i hope we will be o.k.,i've heard to many horror stories.All help/replys welcomed. Thanks

Has the land been "Filled"? ie 1 to 1.5 metres of earth fill (free of vegetable matter and debris) dumped evenly all over the site to be left for the next one or two rainy seasons' rain to compact and consolidate the soil? Sure you will build on a pile foundation but if you neglect this you'll be seeing daylight underneath your homes' base concrete slab sooner rather than later.

"if we opt for outside builders we might piss off a few people for a while"

You can not worry about that when it comes to a major project. Local labor can be good if you have a strong local boss and he most likely will feel his way is the only way. IMHO u should seriously consider having some one with sound knowledge checking the work. Make certain as well that your workers understand the concept of cleaning up the job site.

"if we opt for outside builders we might piss off a few people for a while"

You can not worry about that when it comes to a major project. Local labor can be good if you have a strong local boss and he most likely will feel his way is the only way. IMHO u should seriously consider having some one with sound knowledge checking the work. Make certain as well that your workers understand the concept of cleaning up the job site.

we are talking about thailand here are we. they dont clear up there own yard.

• 2 weeks later...

Not familar with Nom Som But if you are speaking of Nom Som Rong. Stop by the City Hall they have house plans there already and presonnel who can modify them the way you want. They will also give a material cost estimate.

I will say this to you don't enter contract to build a house without an attorney to make the contracts. You can have them translated but they need to be written in Thai not english. Make sure the payment plan is specific.

With the costs of building supplies what they are today and depending on size of the house and ementities you want. Maybe it can be done for 1.5 maybe not. Simple things like grounded wiring, What bricks your going to use. Western Kitchen, bathroom. Bult in closets, Aircons and how many.

Yuo can't even do a ball park without plans.

We bought a track home three bedroom two bath with a sperate dinning area and modified it cost was 1.4 including the land but this was three years ago. Then three aircons. added grouded wiring, western kitchen, screens, patio covers 60% around the house. Pump water Tank Land scaping we easily spent another 400K settign it up the way we want it .

Your going to have to have onew heck of a lot of patience. Trust me it isot going to go smoothly. Cause no mattter who you hire in the end the rice farmers are going to build the house. If it's rice season your construction will stop they will leave to plant or harvest.

Did I understand that correctly you are thinking of building basement rooms. There are reason these homes are built off the ground ever been here in the rainy season. I would really think about that one.

Anyway good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I have just finished building my house in Non Sung (Korat) I spent 1.1 million this was for a 3 bedroom house (1 large bedroom) 1 large kitchen, 1 large toilet & 1 large front room with a shop also, this price also included building the wall and garden here's some pics

post-3757-1209993961_thumb.jpg

post-3757-1209994002_thumb.jpg

post-3757-1209994095_thumb.jpg

post-3757-1209994148_thumb.jpg

post-3757-1209994172_thumb.jpg

post-3757-1209994276_thumb.jpg

post-3757-1209994233_thumb.jpg

House looks great and you done really well for 1.1,who designed it and how long did it take to build anymore photos.Thanks for reply

I designed the house myself and it took 3 months to build with another couple of months to build the wall and sort out the garden, I will be starting my own post on this very soon with all cost which will help any BM's who are thinking of building :o

Hi Jason, from your pics i couldnt see any rainwater guttering and collection tanks or soakaway, wont the water play havoc with the nice lawns?

As Ray23 says, Thai village labour will go of to the farm for days on end, doing the rice ect, we were lucky, started in December finished in May, had a few absentees because of the mansapalang harvest, otherwise, 7 days a week they would work..

House looks great and you done really well for 1.1,who designed it and how long did it take to build anymore photos.Thanks for reply

I designed the house myself and it took 3 months to build with another couple of months to build the wall and sort out the garden, I will be starting my own post on this very soon with all cost which will help any BM's who are thinking of building :o

thanks again looking forward to your own post.

Hi Jason, from your pics i couldnt see any rainwater guttering and collection tanks or soakaway, wont the water play havoc with the nice lawns?

As Ray23 says, Thai village labour will go of to the farm for days on end, doing the rice ect, we were lucky, started in December finished in May, had a few absentees because of the mansapalang harvest, otherwise, 7 days a week they would work..

Hi the photo's where taken in March this year, we had drainage installed around the garden after the photo's where taken which I will post pics of in July when I am next out there

Hi the photo's where taken in March this year, we had drainage installed around the garden after the photo's where taken which I will post pics of in July when I am next out there

We are building a house in Udon Thani at the moment 3 bedrooms for my wifes mother and us when we are over there. Has costed about 150,000 now I will most likely have to spend another 50,000. The house is being built by her Uncle and her Brother now. When the other workers were helping each one was getting payed 200 a day.

The dearest material so far was 14,000 for the reo. 4.5 per brick.

We are building a house in Udon Thani at the moment 3 bedrooms for my wifes mother and us when we are over there. Has costed about 150,000 now I will most likely have to spend another 50,000. The house is being built by her Uncle and her Brother now. When the other workers were helping each one was getting payed 200 a day.

Wait to you start to build the roof, steel is getting very expensive, if you are having a tiled roof this will cost a bit or you can go with the metel tin roof tiles and save a bit as you will not need much steel, also it depends on what materials you will be using, woodern framed windows or metal framed, tinted glass or plain glass, the list go's on, I am sure you will need more than 50,000 to finish off the place I spent about 850,000 just for materials and bits, with another 260,000 on builders cost but this did include building the wall around the house, front gate & fences & the garden

Wait to you start to build the roof, steel is getting very expensive, if you are having a tiled roof this will cost a bit or you can go with the metel tin roof tiles and save a bit as you will not need much steel, also it depends on what materials you will be using, woodern framed windows or metal framed, tinted glass or plain glass, the list go's on, I am sure you will need more than 50,000 to finish off the place I spent about 850,000 just for materials and bits, with another 260,000 on builders cost but this did include building the wall around the house, front gate & fences & the garden

The roof in already on. The woodern window frames were payed for and started going in about 2 weeks ago. Bamboo fencing is the way to go in the village which there is sh*t loads off.

The kitchen will most likely have to be done twice. I do not think the wifes uncle has done one before. The idea of having a work bench with the sink at stomach height took the wife a bit of time to explain. Wait and see. He has only put in 1 western toilet before.

post-59486-1210463449_thumb.jpg

Wait and see. He has only put in 1 western toilet before.

Be prepared for the toilet to be put in the middle of the room :o

I hope you mean the middle of the bathroom, not the kitchen.

I am a bit concerned about not being there. When we first arrived the house was missing 5 bays. It was only the bathroom, kitchen, laundry and the carport. These must be extras when you build in Thailand.

It only costs 300 for each pole. The fill was about 500 per truck load .

The house plan is now in his notepad as long has he look at it right way up should not be any problems.

• 3 years later...

Hi Springer64,

I have a plan of a nice house, more then 65 pages A3, from thai designer (ther are for sale) inform me if you like to have this plan, see the picture of it.

The drawing of the house is very specialized with many details. the house has two floors, 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, outdoor kitchen, carport and more ...........

Sent me a PM and i can sent you some pics of it, i dont know how to make a picture in this message??

Let me know if you like it.

Edited by arnoldo

Hi Springer64,

I have a plan of a nice house, more then 65 pages A3, from thai designer (ther are for sale) inform me if you like to have this plan, see the picture of it.

The drawing of the house is very specialized with many details. the house has two floors, 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, outdoor kitchen, carport and more ...........

Sent me a PM and i can sent you some pics of it, i dont know how to make a picture in this message??

Let me know if you like it.

Hopefully Springer has done something in the last 45 months. His post was made in 2008.